Southland Basketball

94,938 Views | 411 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by cboothe09
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SELA's out. No big surprise playing a really good team at home, but the three point line out an extra 18 inches did not hurt Saint Mary's at all. They drilled over 50% of their threes. SELA hit one. All game.

Getting waxed by 44 points is rough, and should be a warning to the Jacks for Thursday. However, I just can't see us playing like we did in Idaho.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

SELA's out. No big surprise playing a really good team at home, but the three point line out an extra 18 inches did not hurt Saint Mary's at all. They drilled over 50% of their threes. SELA hit one. All game.

Getting waxed by 44 points is rough, and should be a warning to the Jacks for Thursday. However, I just can't see us playing like we did in Idaho.
89-45. Let that sink in. Not a shock that they lost, but our conference co-champion got absolutely embarrassed.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

nacluth said:

89-45. Let that sink in. Not a shock that they lost, but our conference co-champion got absolutely embarrassed.
Actually, I'm not totally surprised. I was expecting them to get beat by 20-25, since they were playing what I believe should have been about an 8 or 9 seed in the NCAA Tournament, at their place. 44 points is pretty darned rough though. I think the biggest difference in this game and the SLC championship game is that SMC got the upper hand on SELA early on and never took their foot off of their throats. Personally, I don't think that SFA is a complete team yet (maybe next year?), so we didn't have a killer instinct to be able to do the same.
cboothe09
I don't think we were emotionally up for that Idaho game. CBI/CIT, whatever it was, it was a joke tournament that I don't think anyone could get up to play in.
The NIT is different though. Didn't expect a win, but didn't see a waxing like that coming either. Regardless, SLU will be dangerous in conference play next year. Actually, league play should be interesting next year with SLU, ACU, Sam, Lamar, and UNO bringing back key pieces.
djsfw57
nacluth said:

I don't think there is much of a chance that SFA plays as poorly as SELA did last night. We (meaning the team) are starting to smell blood, and I think that will make a big difference. I'm not saying we will win, but I honestly won't be at all surprised if we do. If we are hot and firing on all cylinders, we can play with anyone.
SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

SLU will be dangerous in conference play next year. Actually, league play should be interesting next year with SLU, ACU, Sam, Lamar, and UNO bringing back key pieces.
You must be seeing things that I don't see. I can't see SFA losing more than two games in Conference next year, perhaps fewer than that.
No-look
I think Veal had two points at halftime. They were probably tired from the weekend and not emotionally up for the game. One reason Southland teams play us close it that they know us. They are familiar with what we do. The Jacks seem to play to the completion at times.
nacluth
Just randomly checked the Southland scores for tonight and got this. Feel like it means something.

nacluth
Despite Weisbrod's double double, Lamar loses to the Roadrunners. UNO sneaks by UTRGV though by 3.
SFAJack_76
Lamar loses 76-69. UNO gets the SLC in the win column 77-74.

Central Arkansas starting now.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Lamar loses 76-69. UNO gets the SLC in the win column 77-74.

Central Arkansas starting now.
Thanks, guys. I'm out of sleeping pills, so these three snoozers will help me get a good night's sleep for tomorrow's journey to Big D.
BigJack85
What an awful conference.....
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
cboothe09
edstile said:

cboothe09 said:

SLU will be dangerous in conference play next year. Actually, league play should be interesting next year with SLU, ACU, Sam, Lamar, and UNO bringing back key pieces.
You must be seeing things that I don't see. I can't see SFA losing more than two games in Conference next year, perhaps fewer than that.

Oh. Didn't say we would struggle with these teams, just the depth isn't going away.
nacluth
Wow. Nice win by UCA in overtime against Seattle. Pretty much a back and forth affair in the first round of the CBI, but congrats to the Bears for taking it to Seattle at their house
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Wow. Nice win by UCA in overtime against Seattle. Pretty much a back and forth affair in the first round of the CBI, but congrats to the Bears for taking it to Seattle at their house
That was a good win. Howard with 30 despite going 2-11 on threes.
SFAJack_76
Quarter finals of the CBI are March 19. Central Arkansas hosts Jacksonville State. New Orleans goes to Campbell.

North Texas was a first round winner and hosts Mercer.
TallTexan
Who does Sam play?
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Who does Sam play?
Eastern Michigan on Monday at Sam in the CIT. They had a first round bye.
sfa17
McNeese State just hired BYU assistant Heath Schroyer,
SFAJack_76
sfa17 said:

McNeese State just hired BYU assistant Heath Schroyer,
Interesting resume' before the last year at BYU as associate head coach.

• NC State Assistant Head Coach (2016-17)
  • UT-Martin Head Coach (2014-16)
  • UNLV Assistant Coach (2011-14)
  • Wyoming Head Coach (2007-11)
  • Fresno State Associate Head Coach (2005-07)
  • Portland State Head Coach (2002-05)
  • Wyoming Assistant Coach (2001-02)
  • BYU Assistant Coach (1997-01)
  • Fresno CC Assistant Coach (1996-97)
SFAJack_76
Larry Cordaro is the hot rumor to be the next head coach at Nicholls. He is the fourth year, and only, head coach at NAIA LSU-Alexandria. 112-16 career record and in the NAIA D-1 semi-final tomorrow. Ruston, LA high school and LSU grad.
cboothe09
Tough start for the guy. Sophomore Kalob Ledoux and his team best 15 ppg will be transferring...
PurpleOut
Staff
cboothe09 said:

Tough start for the guy. Sophomore Kalob Ledoux and his team best 15 ppg will be transferring...
His twin brother is leaving with him as well.
SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

Wonder if Coach K is interested in him. 15 ppg is nothing to sneeze at. What are the NCAA rules about other teams making contact with a player who has announced that he's transferring? Not sure if Ledoux has even been given permission to leave yet.
sfa17
edstile said:

cboothe09 said:

Wonder if Coach K is interested in him. 15 ppg is nothing to sneeze at. What are the NCAA rules about other teams making contact with a player who has announced that he's transferring? Not sure if Ledoux has even been given permission to leave yet.
Most schools do give permission. But i think there is a NCAA rule against players transferring within the conference. I believe he would have to go to Juco and then he would be allowed to come back into southland
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

But i think there is a NCAA rule against players transferring within the conference. I believe he would have to go to Juco and then he would be allowed to come back into southland
I did a bit of research, and apparently, it's up to the applicable conference's rules on how long the student would have to wait before becoming eligible at his/her new school within the same conference. There are no NCAA restrictions in that regard.
sfa17
Oh okay,that makes sense. Good to know.
SFAJack_76
Central Arkansas season ends with an 80-59 whipping by Jacksonville State. Howard ends his career with 15 points on 6 of 18 shooting. 2 of 10 on threes.

Jacksonville State coach is being mentioned as a candidate for the Nicholl's job.
SFAJack_76
UNO lets a nine point half time lead get away in a 71-69 loss at Campbell. The Camels were led with 35 points by 5'9" Junior, Chris Clemons.
nacluth
Yep. Tie game with 7 seconds left. Lose on a buzzer beater.
nacluth
Sam better be careful with E. Washington. Up 15 in the first half, now tie game in the second.
nacluth
Sam pulled of the CIT win at home giving them a 20 game winning season.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Sam better be careful with E. Washington. Up 15 in the first half, now tie game in the second.
Sam hangs on for a 69-62 win. Last SLC men's team playing.

Central Arkansas women have a 19 point first half lead over Weber State.
No-look
nacluth said:

Nobody at this game.
nacluth
Why would they?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.