Southland Basketball

94,918 Views | 411 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by cboothe09
INiedrauer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

The last Huntsville trip I made (3 years ago) we had about 1400/1500 The total crowd was 2700.
We should attempt to sell out Sam's stadium one day & fill it with 5k Lumberjack fans in Purple. Just for the fun of it & how much they would hate it.
"Cram our other Coliseum"
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

The last Huntsville trip I made (3 years ago) we had about 1400/1500 The total crowd was 2700.
We should attempt to sell out Sam's stadium one day & fill it with 5k Lumberjack fans in Purple. Just for the fun of it & how much they would hate it.
Agreed, one year we just need to take everyone down for free. Free buses, free tickets. Hell, maybe we should do that this year, last game of the season and could be a big one.

I've always said if I every win the lottery, I want to find a really big game where a school was on the road, and buy every single ticket available on the ticket market and give them away for visiting fans. Wouldn't really work for a small school like us. But the thought came back when I saw thousands of Texas fans in College Station in 2005. Imagine buying every possible extra ticket to that game and giving them all to Texas fans.
nacluth
I'll call Guinness for Most Johnson Coliseums sold out by One Fan Base.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
PurpleOut
Staff
PurpleOut
Staff
PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

Agreed, one year we just need to take everyone down for free. Free buses, free tickets. Hell, maybe we should do that this year, last game of the season and could be a big one.

I've always said if I every win the lottery, I want to find a really big game where a school was on the road, and buy every single ticket available on the ticket market and give them away for visiting fans. Wouldn't really work for a small school like us. But the thought came back when I saw thousands of Texas fans in College Station in 2005. Imagine buying every possible extra ticket to that game and giving them all to Texas fans.
New thread on the Roadtrips forum for this idea, along with an event page on Facebook.

nacluth
Abilene dominated UCA with stiff defense. Hopefully we'll do the same.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Lamar just handed Prison Tech their 2nd loss, 84-77 in OT.
nacluth
Yep, Lamar was down by 18 (15 at halftime) and came back to tie it to force OT. Wins by 7. They scored 51 POY in the second. Collapse by Sam against competition.
cboothe09
Sam had a rough break in OT. Kid caught the inbound pass in front of Lamar bench and fell. Travel call and basically ended the game with 18 seconds left. Looked like he slipped on a wet spot, but it was the right call...
nacluth
UIW wanted to get off the schneid up 10 on New Orleans early, but even though they battled hard, they lost by four.
nacluth
Those HBU throwbacks though...

And McNeese coming back from down to keep HBU winless.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
All the perfect teams stay perfect on the Southland!
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Harlem Globetrotter wannabes.
PurpleOut
Staff
ACU dominated UCA on the glass by the same margin that we dominated them. I mentioned UCA was bad at rebounding in the game thread.
SFASawmillGuy
nacluth said:

That HBU high school gym though.
And McNeese coming back from down to keep HBU winless.
PurpleOut
Staff
One point of clarification, because I myself overlooked the tiebreaker scenarios...you know because our conference is so odd. SLU would not automatically hold a tiebreaker over us. If 2 teams are tied, and have only played once, then the tiebreaker goes to win-loss record against the team that both top 2 teams have each played. Which is how we got screwed last year.

BigJack85
The picture begins to clear. I thought it might be SFA vs Nicholls in the conference tournament finals. Hmmmmm
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
Yep, which means if we beat McNeese we should have the tiebreaker if we win out. It won't matter, but it's good to know. However that's just seeding purposes. Tied teams are co-champions for the league title.
No-look
SLU will lose some games.
slulionsfan
PurpleOut said:

One point of clarification, because I myself overlooked the tiebreaker scenarios...you know because our conference is so odd. SLU would not automatically hold a tiebreaker over us. If 2 teams are tied, and have only played once, then the tiebreaker goes to win-loss record against the team that both top 2 teams have each played. Which is how we got screwed last year.

Actually, if two teams are tied, tiebreaker goes to team with best record vs the highest ranked team both tied teams have played twice. The common opponents we each play twice are Abilene, UCA and NW State. If those are tied, then it reverts to head to head. There's a long way to go before it's even a thought in our mind. We're just playing one game at a time.
nacluth
Yep SLUfan is right. This was the tiebreaker last year. And it doesn't matter until much more of the season plays out.
TallTexan
Personally I think the Tie Breaker should be most P6 teams beaten in a year.
cboothe09
Sam 75 - SLU 65

Nicholls leading Lamar 58-49 with 12 minutes left...
PurpleOut
Staff
Halfway through league play, and Nicholls F'n State is leading the conference.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

Halfway through league play, and Nicholls F'n State is leading the conference.
May I assume that you're a bit surprised by the current state of affairs?
nacluth
I thought we had broken Matt's curse last week, but I guess not. Just kidding Matt...kind of. Please rank Nicholls #1.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

I thought we had broken Matt's curse last week, but I guess not. Just kidding Matt...kind of. Please rank Nicholls #1.

Nicholls???!!!...
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
PurpleOut
Staff
SLU wins at Nicholls. We've got five 2-loss teams at the top now.
nacluth
PurpleOut said:

Just four. We beat Sam.
cboothe09
Fun finish in Thibodaux. Nicholls throws up a three to tie. Misses but fouled. Misses second free throw and chance to tie.

Now there are 4 teams with 2 losses. UNO at the top at 8-2. Nicholls and SLU next at 7-2. We're a game back from the top at 6-2.
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth said:

PurpleOut said:

Just four. We beat Sam.
Reading is hard.

Not sure what I'll do with my Power Rankings right now, everyone lost this week but UNO.
SFA Jack Fanatic
UCA went 9-24 (37.5%) on threes tonight vs. Northwestern State. Howard was 3-6 and Unruh was 2-9. Oh, what a difference a couple of nights makes. If only.....
cboothe09
Saturday is going to be fun in the Southland...The standings will definitely be jumbled around some when the dust settles...
SFA @ Lamar
Nicholls @ UNO
UCA @ SLU
ACU @ Sam
nacluth
SFA has probably the easiest of the second half schedules of the top 5 teams. UNO is a full game up on us, but they have played two more games than us. In their final 7 games they play Nicholls twice, SELA twice, Corpus and Sam on the road, and a home game against McNeese. That is a tough go.

Our toughest game on paper is probably the Central Arkansas game at home. Two against Lamar, McNeese and Sam away, but all in all a favorable schedule down the stretch.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
cboothe09
Here is the remaining schedule for the top 5. I didn't include ACU and UCA because think they have too much ground to make up, and their schedules are pretty brutal down the stretch. Look for the Louisiana schools to take shots at each other, and if someone can make it through unscathed, they they deserve the top spot. Its a toss up between UNO and Nicholls on who has the toughest road ahead. Actually, not really. Nicholls has the toughest road ahead.

SFA's schedule isn't bad, but Sam has a nice setup too with five of their final eight at home.

New Orleans (9-2)
vs. Nicholls
@ Corpus
@ SLU
vs. McNeese
@ Sam
@ Nicholls
vs. SLU

SFA (7-2)
@ Lamar
@ McNeese
vs. Northwestern
@ Corpus
@ UIW
vs. UCA
vs. Lamar
vs. ACU
@ Sam

Nicholls (7-2)
@ UNO
@ ACU
vs. HBU
vs. Sam
@ UCA
@ McNeese
vs. UNO
@ Northwestern
@ SLU

Sam Houston (7-3)
vs. ACU
vs. Corpus
vs. Lamar
@ Nicholls
@ HBU
vs. UNO
@ UCA
vs. SFA

SLU (7-3)
vs. UCA
@ UIW
@ McNeese
vs. UNO
vs. ACU
@ Northwestern
@ UNO
vs. Nicholls

ACU & UCA at 6-4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.