Southland Basketball

94,904 Views | 411 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by cboothe09
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nacluth said:

Why would they?
Their fans didn't even show up to play us, that's a program without a future.
SFAJack_76
UCA with an 82-67 WBI quarterfinal win over Weber State.
nacluth
Good for the Sugar Bears. If they can keep their defense top notch, they could win the WBI.

Edit: plus that 82 points has to be close to a season high. If they can score like that, they are dangerous.
PurpleOut
Staff
edstile said:

sfa17 said:

But i think there is a NCAA rule against players transferring within the conference. I believe he would have to go to Juco and then he would be allowed to come back into southland
I did a bit of research, and apparently, it's up to the applicable conference's rules on how long the student would have to wait before becoming eligible at his/her new school within the same conference. There are no NCAA restrictions in that regard.
The NCAA restriction would be across the board. He will have to sit out the normal one year unless granted a one-year exception.

Quinton Thomas at SLU is a good example. Started at Nicholls, transferred to SLU after his Sophomore season, sat out a year, then played his senior season.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

Why would they?
They showed a bit of Prison Tech's game on one of the Houston TV station's sportscasts tonight. I've seen bigger crowds at Little Dribblers games.
SFAJack_76
edstile said:

TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

Why would they?
They showed a bit of Prison Tech's game on one of the Houston TV station's sportscasts tonight. I've seen bigger crowds at Little Dribblers games.
322 official attendance. Wow.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

edstile said:

TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

Why would they?
Take away the band, the cheerleaders, the vendors, the media, the ticket takers, and the maintenance crew who were all forced to be there and the number dwindles to about 75 that actually cared. ">
SFAJack_76
edstile said:

SFAJack_76 said:

edstile said:

TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

Why would they?
Take away the band, the cheerleaders, the vendors, the media, the ticket takers, and the maintenance crew who were all forced to be there and the number dwindles to about 75 that actually cared. ">
So, friends and family of players and staff.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

edstile said:

SFAJack_76 said:

So, friends and family of players and staff.
Yeah, and about 7 students who had nothing better to do in Prison Town.
SFAJack_76
SLC freshman of the year David Caraher is leaving HBU.

nacluth
Not to be too tacky, but really a screenshot of your notes page tweet? It's a double tap to copy. Aren't tweets bigger now? Or at least can we crop a pic? Anyway....

Sucks for HBU after losing Ibarra and now their one good player. But that had to be a hard year.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Not to be too tacky, but really a screenshot of your notes page tweet? It's a double tap to copy. Aren't tweets bigger now? Or at least can we crop a pic? Anyway....

Sucks for HBU after losing Ibarra and now their one good player. But that had to be a hard year.
Thanks for the feedback. Digitally challenged.
nacluth
SFAJack_76 said:

nacluth said:

Thanks for the feedback. Digitally challenged.

Now I really was being tacky. Sorry. I thought it was the HBU player announcing his leaving with a screenshot of something he wrote up. Not something you posted 76. No offense meant to anyone.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

SLC freshman of the year David Caraher is leaving HBU.

He was a nice player - nothing outstanding though. Got tired of losing, with more losing straight ahead, I suppose. He's from North Carolina. May have gotten homesick, too. Some ACC team could be interested in him as a role player.
SFAJack_76
Reported that Dr. Carson Cunningham will be the new head coach at Incarnate Word. Cunningham comes from Carroll College, an NAIA D1 School in Helena, Montana. They have been to the national tournament in Kansas City each of the last two years. He has been at Carroll for five years. They won two games the year before he got there. Prior to Carroll, Cunningham was a high school coach.

Cunningham was a starting point guard at Oregon St. before transferring to Purdue for his final three years. His PhD is in history.

SFAJack_76
Sam wins 76-69 at UTSA in the CIT quarterfinal.
SFAXE93
Long live the Hoot.
nacluth
Katfans still mad Sam keeps winning in the CIT because they know they have no chance to get rid of Hooten.
SFAJack_76

Sugar Bears playing for a postseason championship.

SFAXE93
Former UTEP G Trey Touchet is transferring to McNeese State.

Back-to-back Louisiana Gatorade Player of the Year (2013 & 2014)
two-time District MVP

Collected 18.3 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 4.0 apg and 1.5 spg as a senior, leading St. Thomas More HS to a 30-6 mark and the Class 4A semifinals ... shot 61 percent from the floor, 42 percent from three-point territory and 79 percent from the line in an All-State season ... averaged 20.3 points, 4.8 rebounds, 2.4 assists and 1.3 steals as a junior while shooting 57 percent from the field, 41 percent from beyond the arc and 83 percent from the charity stripe
No-look
nacluth
Unbelievable! One of the best stealing point guards in the country. Never thought he was all that tough, but always thought he gave his best. Shocking really.

I'm sure he's looking to be a starter. I don't know if we could offer him that, but it would make our pg position ridiculously defensive.
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

The road to the 2018-2019 crown gets clearer by the day.
TallTexan
edstile said:

No-look said:

The road to the 2018-2019 crown gets clearer by the day.

New glasses Ed? Oh you meant with all the transfers.....
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Katfans still mad Sam keeps winning in the CIT because they know they have no chance to get rid of Hooten.
Then they will be happy that they lost to N. Colorado last night in the CIT semifinal, 99-80.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

New glasses Ed? Oh you meant with all the transfers.....
Everyone's a comedian... Present company excepted, of course.
SFASawmillGuy
SFAJack_76 said:

nacluth said:

Then they will be happy that they lost to N. Colorado last night in the CIT semifinal, 99-80.
SHSU had as easy of a path to the semifinal a.s they could get in the CIT. N. Colorado isn't a pushover, after all, they're well aware what small Colorado schools are capable of
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

An offer to play was made to one of our guys but obviously they chose not to participate. A bummer for us fans, but offers to play went out late, so it interfered with plans kids made for Easter.

cboothe09
The Southland should be able to piece together a MUCH better team than that...
SFASawmillGuy
cboothe09 said:

The Southland should be able to piece together a MUCH better team than that...
Probably a lack of interest in the players. It's not a game that means anything or would benefit you in any way. Just a fun little trip to San Antonio. Remember, millennials don't watch college basketball .
PurpleOut
Staff
Keep in mind this is for seniors only.

3x3 basketball is meh anyway. Would have taken the extra exposure though.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Keep in mind this is for seniors only.

3x3 basketball is meh anyway. Would have taken the extra exposure though.
Yep seniors only. They are covering expenses or get a small bit of cash for winning. I'd say that I'd love to see our guys participate next year, but Final 4 teams are ineligible (for obvious reasons).
nacluth
UCA Sugar Bears beating the Lady Elis at the half.
nacluth
Tied at 50 with 56 seconds left, UCA couldn't score again and lose to Yale in the WBI Finals.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.