Southland Basketball

94,618 Views | 411 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by cboothe09
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
edstile said:

SFAXE93 said:

It appears that they even have to buy their own shoes....
My brother went to LeTourneau for a semester and "walked on" to the cross country team. I mean he literally asked the cross country coach one Friday what it would take to run for the team and he was told to show up the next day for a meet & he was on the team.

Now before you assume that he's potentially some cross country stud, just know that we're not known for breaking any land speed records in my family.
SFAXE93
They have one guy who is 6'7 and the rest are hobbits, we cream them inside with a steady dose of Holyfield, Sammy, and Gilmore.
cboothe09
Currently watching UNO get manhandled by Oakland for the most part. Oakland was up 26, but UNO has but it to 16...
PurpleOut
Staff
Whoa, Amin possibly out for the season for Corpus.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

Wow! What happened?
INiedrauer
Staff
edstile said:

PurpleOut said:

Wow! What happened?
Happened just before the season. http://www.caller.com/story/sports/college/texas-a-and-m-university-corpus-christi/2017/11/09/hale-islanders-dealing-adversity-on-off-court-season-begins/846490001/
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

cboothe09
Nicholls offense was MIA against Villanova. Their defense didn't show either. Gave up 113 points in the loss...
nacluth
Lamar beat Coastal Carolina 66-60 in a game in which they were heavily favored. However they were down 12 in the second half and didn't get their first lead until 4 minutes left in the game. Showing some toughness on the road.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
Corpus just lost to UTRGV for the first time in 10 tries.

C. Arkansas is making a game of it at UCLA.

Edit: Yep C. Arkansas is besting #23 UCLA five minutes into the second.
PurpleOut
Staff
UCA and UCLA are in OT. UCA hit a 3 and had a 1 point lead with 2 seconds left but couldn't close it.
PurpleOut
Staff
UCLA survives 106-101. But oh man, what a performance from UCA. But especially Howard. We know how good he is, but he put on a ridiculous performance tonight. 35 points on 13-25 shooting (8/15 from 3) and 5 assists.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

UCLA survives 106-101. But oh man, what a performance from UCA. But especially Howard. We know how good he is, but he put on a ridiculous performance tonight.
UCA hit 18 of 36 threes (50%). Howard scored 35 and hit 8 of 15 threes. UCA had four players with 15 or more points. UCA definitely just lobbed a shot over the bow of the SLC!
nacluth
Now if UCA was picked 10th in the conference and played #23 to OT, then SFA at #1 in the conference should be the best team in the nation. And hey, we are undefeated. I remember acing Logic in college, so I'm pretty sure that's airtight reasoning.

That almost was the worst week ever for UCLA. To have three players arrested in China which embarrasses your country so much the President asks for another nation to let it go and then to come home and get schooled by the supposed 10th best team in the 20th best conference. Talk about insult to injury, but they avoided it...
INiedrauer
Staff
There are many things in life I don't know but one thing I do: UCA isn't actually the 10th best team in the SLC.
nacluth
I notice there was no disputing the 20th best conference part. I think anyone that's followed SLC basketball knows that UCA is dangerous any given night. The past two years they just haven't been able to show any consistency- especially on defense. And if Howard doesn't show up then a third of their offense is gone. Who knows how they got picked so low? But hopefully they don't shoot 18 3's on us.
cboothe09
nacluth said:

I notice there was no disputing the 20th best conference part. I think anyone that's followed SLC basketball knows that UCA is dangerous any given night. The past two years they just haven't been able to show any consistency- especially on defense. And if Howard doesn't show up then a third of their offense is gone. Who knows how they got picked so low? But hopefully they don't shoot 18 3's on us.
I'll dispute the 20th best part...Last year we were like 28th. I don't see it being any better this year...
SFA Jack Fanatic
An interesting article about non-conference game scheduling by SLC teams for 2017-2018, including a team-by-team breakdown of their non-con schedules.

https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2017/10/31/16424496/southland-non-conference-schedules-college-basketball-2017-18-analysis-rankings-northwestern-st-sfa
nacluth
Wow that was some calculations. I think what it means is that the Southland sucks comparatively speaking and the conference tournament is everything. So why not schedule winnable games with a couple of potential overachievers and then finish with a good non-conference record that has a chance of blinding the NCAA selection committee.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
cboothe09
I know it is early, and Lamar still has time to do their conference collapse, but right now they are looking the part of contender.
INiedrauer
Staff
cboothe09 said:

I know it is early, and Lamar still has time to do their conference collapse, but right now they are looking the part of contender.
Lamar and UCA were the two I was afraid of this summer and the first week has done nothing to change that in my mind.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

cboothe09
INiedrauer said:

cboothe09 said:

Lamar and UCA were the two I was afraid of this summer and the first week has done nothing to change that in my mind.

UCA still doesn't strike a lot of fear in me due to their lack of defense. Add in our more explosive offense and I see no reason we shouldn't sweep them again.
Lamar is the team that has me on edge...Im taking a wait and see approach with them because they opened the year red hot, but struggled in conference. A lot less turnover from their roster this year so we'll see.
PurpleOut
Staff
4 points and 4 assists for Jalan West in his return debut. In a 22 point home loss to Rice.
sfa17
TExas a&m cc ties 53 to 53 against Georgia With 4 minutes left

EDIT : game finished 67-65 Georgia wins
INiedrauer
Staff
Lamar knocked off by CSU-Bakersfield at home for their first loss on the season. 85-73.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

BigJack85
Lamar is going to be tough.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
sfa17 said:

TExas a&m cc ties 53 to 53 against Georgia With 4 minutes left

EDIT : game finished 67-65 Georgia wins
How do we get Georgia on our schedule?
nacluth
Lipscomb from the Atlantic Sun conference just beat ACU at home.
nacluth
Northwestern St is beating ULM at halftime. I know they are getting better, but this still seems to look poorly on ULM.

...and they crushed them. Game was never close. Should be some good news for SFA before playing ULM. Not as good before playing NWST.
INiedrauer
Staff
SELA picked up a really nice win at Kent State. Solid.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

BigJack85
nacluth said:

Northwestern St is beating ULM at halftime. I know they are getting better, but this still seems to look poorly on ULM.

...and they crushed them. Game was never close. Should be some good news for SFA before playing ULM. Not as good before playing NWST.

Hopefully we show against ULM.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
Some ho-hum SLC b-ball today. Sam won the 7th place game at the Great Alaska Shootout. Really.

C. Ark got their clock cleaned by the same Tulsa Lamar took down earlier this season. At this writing, UIW is losing by double digits to Houston. All other games were also-rans.
INiedrauer
Staff
ACU over Bowling Green is a really good win. BG beat Florida Gulf Coast a few games back.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

cboothe09
Southland seems kinda Jekyl and Hyde....
cboothe09
MidMajorMadness on Nicholls

Circle these two dates...January 13 and February 17

Those are the two dates that Nicholls and Central Arkansas meet up. Those are going to be a lot of fun...
PurpleOut
Staff
cboothe09 said:

Southland seems kinda Jekyl and Hyde....
Very. ACU lost to USC Upstate by 10 the day before.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.