2021 Basketball Offers

70,618 Views | 390 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFAXE93
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Still a lot of uncommitted guys on this list. The next signing period starts April 14. Hopefully, the seniors make decisions soon about returning or not. Recruiting is always crazy, but this year is much more so. Still can't do visits.
SFAJack_76
Do we take another run at him?
SFAXE93
He really fell off at the end of the season going (11 of 43) 25% in shooting and (1 of 14) from three, for the final 5 games.
cboothe09
He was a monster for them last year. Crazy to see that kind of drop off
SFAXE93
Yes sir, he was the 2020 Ohio Valley Conference Freshman of the year, First Team All Conference, NewComer of the Year, multiple 30+ point games.

Started the 2021 season as a preseason all conference player and out of the gate scored 18 points in the opener and just went ice cold.

Hopefully a new venue and start will bring back the mojo.

He sure can hit his free throws 30-33 for the season.

SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Do we take another run at him?

An SFA staffer contacted him today.
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

Yes sir, he was the 2020 Ohio Valley Conference Freshman of the year, First Team All Conference, NewComer of the Year, multiple 30+ point games.

Started the 2021 season as a preseason all conference player and out of the gate scored 18 points in the opener and just went ice cold.

I'll take him on free throws alone.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

SFAXE93 said:

I'll take him on free throws alone.
If he doesn't play defense, he wouldnt be on the floor enough to have free throws to shoot.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

Had a hip injury.

https://www.theleafchronicle.com/story/sports/college/apsu/2021/03/12/austin-peay-basketball-star-jordyn-adams-transfer-govs-program/4665382001/
PurpleOut
Staff
I'd be in on Adams.
PurpleOut
Staff
Worth noting that Adams teammate at Peay and at Silsbee, Devon McCain is also in the portal and appears to be going JUCO.

Missed last season due to injury, but this kid was committed to Baylor originally, and had an offer from us.
cboothe09
Adams will be a tough snag, but I think he would be a great fit. With his ability to score I think there will be some big boys sniffing around. Depends on how he is recovering from injury.

McCain is another intriguing one. I will say this though, last guy we got that was supposed to attend Baylor turned out pretty good (Bogues)..
PurpleOut
Staff
wahlwesle
It was tough taking the postseason ban this year, but it is nice to know we won't have that hanging over our head when we call these recruits. Imagine trying to snag him and having to dance (pun intended) around that topic.
No-look
Saw Adams play several times when at Silsbee. Legit.
sfa17
That would be a great pick up
SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

According to Verbal Commits (Hardly the most accurate site) we have an offer to Sir Isaac Herron. Herron is a 6'9" PF out of Houston...

We aren't the only quiet ones. No commits right now for ACU and only two offers out. Sam has only one signee with four offers out (Including Herron). Lamar has two signees and no other offers to HS players. All of their offers are JUCO...

I know it doesn't affect us going forward, but check out Nicholls if you want a headache...Sheesh

Herron has committed to Oral Roberts.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Derrick Tezeno was the MVP of the Fast Break All-Star Game in Baton Rouge this weekend. The game included some of the leading talent in the state of Louisiana. Tezeno is going to be something special for the Jacks!!!

I'm drooling thinking about seeing Tezeno and Posey on the floor together for the next few years.
Rev007
I'm not sure how concerned I should be about the freshmen or "freshman" recruiting class. We have plenty of scholarship openings, right? Is Derrick Tezeno going to be our only freshman recruit for 2021-2022? I personally prefer 2 or 3 freshmen joining our team each season. Last year's freshmen have tremendous potential, but the two prior years resulted in only one successful recruit, Calvin Solomon. Let's hope we can bring in more players like Nana, Posey, Kevon, and Solomon, and less like Cam Mack and others who were one and done or who never even put on a Jack's jersey.

Regarding Juco transfers, we hit the jackpot two years ago, but that was an anomaly. Wouldn't it be fun to watch Roti, David, Gavin, and Cameron for four years instead of two (possibly 3 with Covid)?

I hear that Coach Mason is a great recruiter, but maybe we need a larger recruiting staff.

What say you?
SFA Jack Fanatic
Rev007 said:

I'm not sure how concerned I should be about the freshmen or "freshman" recruiting class. We have plenty of scholarship openings, right? Is Derrick Tezeno going to be our only freshman recruit for 2021-2022? I personally prefer 2 or 3 freshmen joining our team each season. Last year's freshmen have tremendous potential, but the two prior years resulted in only one successful recruit, Calvin Solomon. Let's hope we can bring in more players like Nana, Posey, Kevon, and Solomon, and less like Cam Mack and others who were one and done or who never even put on a Jack's jersey.

Regarding Juco transfers, we hit the jackpot two years ago, but that was an anomaly. Wouldn't it be fun to watch Roti, David, Gavin, and Cameron for four years instead of two (possibly 3 with Covid)?

I hear that Coach Mason is a great recruiter, but maybe we need a larger recruiting staff.

What say you?

I really have nothing to add. You stated the situation very well, Rev. That said, I have tremendous faith that Keller and Company are going to pleasantly surprise us on signing day.
SFAJack_76
Random, debatable thoughts:

• Won't go over the normal 13 scholarships unless there is a high potential that presents late. Coaches don't like having guys that never play. They tend to be short timers.
  • With the transfer portal continuing to blow up, Keller and staff will be patient. We will be far more nervous than they will be.
  • Available scholarships will be split between high school guys and transfers.

If Kensmil, Ware, and Kachelries do come back, and Posey is what we think he will be, we have a solid returning nucleus. I think we need an experienced 2 that can shoot lights out, and play decent defense.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Random, debatable thoughts:

• Won't go over the normal 13 scholarships unless there is a high potential that presents late. Coaches don't like having guys that never play. They tend to be short timers.
  • With the transfer portal continuing to blow up, Keller and staff will be patient. We will be far more nervous than they will be.
  • Available scholarships will be split between high school guys and transfers.

If Kensmil, Ware, and Kachelries do come back, and Posey is what we think he will be, we have a solid returning nucleus. I think we need an experienced 2 that can shoot lights out, and play decent defense.

I agree with most of what you said, 76, but I think they'll go heavy on transfers and JUCO's. Can't argue with what Gonzaga has done going the transfer route. But obviously, they are a huge draw for top talent.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Heard from a reliable source that the Jacks will only be going after transfers. The coaches have very little faith in HS players because in today's NCAA world many tend to transfer after a year anyway. (What a mess the transfer rules have created.) There is no recruiting going on right now until Keller's situation is clarified. (By that, I assume that he's being considered for one or more jobs elsewhere.) Only Jordyn Adams from Austin Peay has been contacted by the coaching staff so far.
No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Heard from a reliable source that the Jacks will only be going after transfers. The coaches have very little faith in HS players because in today's NCAA world many tend to transfer after a year anyway. (What a mess the transfer rules have created.) There is no recruiting going on right now until Keller's situation is clarified. (By that, I assume that he's being considered for one or more jobs elsewhere.) Only Jordyn Adams from Austin Peay has been contacted by the coaching staff so far.
A lot of unknowns here. Unless this an April Fools post. Lol.
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

A lot of unknowns here. Unless this an April Fools post. Lol.

Not an April Fools post. Almost verbatim from what I was told.
wahlwesle
I really don't want to go into our first year in a new conference losing the majority of our seniors, a bunch of new recruits that have never played together, and a new coach. One major change at a time, please.

I also wonder if there are seniors who have decided to stay will change their mind if Keller leaves.
SFAJack_76
Nothing quite like a fan base being in panic mode. Recall what this board was like two years ago. That one worked out okay.

Six days ago, I had a reliable source describe the situation differently than Fanatic's. Six days from now, it could be different again. It is that dynamic. Over 1,100 in the transfer portal and climbing rapidly. Nobody can visit in person. Other than the elite, high school kids have got to be struggling wondering what offer they might get.

Does any D1 school have a reasonably set roster? I doubt it. April 14, will help clarify, but this one can drag out for at least 60 days I suspect. Maybe longer.
wahlwesle
SFAJack_76 said:

Nothing quite like a fan base being in panic mode. Recall what this board was like two years ago. That one worked out okay.

Six days ago, I had a reliable source describe the situation differently than Fanatic's. Six days from now, it could be different again. It is that dynamic. Over 1,100 in the transfer portal and climbing rapidly. Nobody can visit in person. Other than the elite, high school kids have got to be struggling wondering what offer they might get.

Does any D1 school have a reasonably set roster? I doubt it. April 14, will help clarify, but this one can drag out for at least 60 days I suspect. Maybe longer.
i know you're right, but I still can't help but worry.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Nothing quite like a fan base being in panic mode.
Not in panic mode. Just concerns of some of the most faithful SFA supporters (we Sawmillers) who sincerely care about the continued success of the program, unlike the folks over in Prison Town and elsewhere in Texas and Louisiana that don't give a rat's behind about their BB programs.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Still no recruiting occurring by the SFA staff. Still waiting for Keller's status to be determined (whether he'll be staying or going).
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Still no recruiting occurring by the SFA staff. Still waiting for Keller's status to be determined (whether he'll be staying or going).

Not so good. If, if .... Kensmil, Roti and Kalcheries return we are probably on solid footing. If not , lots of ???? Marks.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Which open job is a fit for Keller? I would be completely stunned at Tech.
wahlwesle
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

there are four known interviews that started over the weekend. Keller isn't one of them, at least not yet.

https://www.lubbockonline.com/story/sports/college/basketball/2021/04/03/texas-tech-basketball-committee-begins-coaching-search-first-4-targets/7078242002/
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Cincinnati is also open, but I can't see them making a play for Keller.

There are a lot of transfer guys being scooped up now. I'm a worrier, but as I said before, IMO the longer we wait, the behinder we get.
sfa17
not sure what job he would be waiting for, UNC is extremely unlikely and he has only been mentioned once or twice in any of the articles talking about the tech job. Tech just interviewed the assistant coach for the Milwaukee Bucks...
Even underwood with his great resume was hired for a Okstate team that the previous year went 12-20. Mid Major coaches usually get bad p5 teams

Not going to the NCAA tournament hurts. Everyone has recency bias. Thats why we have heard more about Joe Golding. the UNT coach and the Oral Roberts coach.

Maybe Cincinnati like Fanatic mentioned. I think he should focus on having another successful season, WAC title and NCAA tournament.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.