2021 Basketball Offers

70,677 Views | 390 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFAXE93
sfa17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ranked 149 coming out of high school by 24/7. but his # at a&m were pretty poor. average 1.8 in 14 minutes of play for 18 games last year. and in 2019 average 1 point in 30 games played. Gonna need some work

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4592830
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

Heck yes.

True big at 6'10, 260. Should have 3 years left. 4 star prospect out of HS.
TallTexan
sfa17 said:

ranked 149 coming out of high school by 24/7. but his # at a&m were pretty poor. average 1.8 in 14 minutes of play for 18 games last year. and in 2019 average 1 point in 30 games played. Gonna need some work

To be fair, that whole team at A&Ms was underachieving.

I've got confidence in our coaching staff to turn him into a WAC destroying big.
sfa17
yeah i trust that our coaches can bring the best out of him. This might be the first true center we have gotten
BigJack85
A true big man. 2 years of eligibility. Does this move Gavin to the 4 slot? Can we run a PG and two combo SG/SF ?
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

A true big man. 2 years of eligibility. Does this move Gavin to the 4 slot? Can we run a PG and two combo SG/SF ?

Did we run Gavin at the 4 this year when we played with him and Nana in?
sfa17
gavin still hasnt decided on whether he wants to stay or go. I have been told it changes everyday
sfa17
BigJack85 said:

3 years of eligibility. last year didnt count
TallTexan
sfa17 said:

gavin still hasnt decided on whether he wants to stay or go. I have been told it changes everyday

Lol. I can get this. I do the exact same thing.

But if he decides no to SFA basketball, can we get him some reps at TE?
cboothe09
I don't blame him. I know he loves SFA and what they can do here, but the money in Europe has to be enticing...
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ignore the mean-face emogi. I don't know how that got there. Must have accidentally hit the wrong button.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I thought that was who we were chasing at A&M. He will be a defensive presence on the court. I saw him in a video a few months ago in which he said that he prefers playing defense. If we can get 5 or 6 points per game from him I'll be happy with that, particularly if Gavin comes back to provide offense..
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I thought that was who we were chasing at A&M. He will be a defensive presence on the court. I saw him in a video a few months ago in which he said that he prefers playing defense. If we can get 5 or 6 points per game from him I'll be happy with that, particularly if Gavin comes back to provide offense..

He'll probably up his points per game a decent bit simply by virtue of not playing SEC centers every night.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

He'll probably up his points per game a decent bit simply by virtue of not playing SEC centers every night.
That actually makes a lot of sense, Texan!

But seriously, that's a great point.
No-look
sfa17 said:

Read where he missed both summers at A&M. Hasn't had time to develop skill levels. Enrolled when school started one year and COVID issues next year. Hopefully the coaches can develop him. Lots of upside! Wish coach Cox was still around to hone his skills. A 6' 10" big presence will be a big asset!
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

sfa17 said:

Read where he missed both summers at A&M. Hasn't had time to develop skill levels. Enrolled when school started one year and COVID issues next year. Hopefully the coaches can develop him. Lots of upside! Wish coach Cox was still around to hone his skills. A 6' 10" big presence will be a big asset!

It will be interesting to see who we hire to replace Coach Cox. Someone with experience in working with big men, I assume.
SFA Jack Fanatic
So, do we have one more scholarship left or are we done?
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Think we could sign up to 7 if we were so inclined. So up to 3 left?
No-look
TallTexan said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Think we could sign up to 7 if we were so inclined. So up to 3 left?
wheres nacluth?
SFAJack_76
From an earlier post. Change the signed to five and adjust accordingly.

Quote:

No-look said:
Where are we at with scholarships left?
Not any easy question to answer.

Thirteen plus any returning seniors is maximum.

Finished the season with eleven on the roster. Four have entered the portal. Have signed four.

Assuming Ware, Kachelries, and Kensmil do return, there are two open to get to thirteen. Because of the three returning seniors that don't count, could be up to five.

Assuming none of the four in the portal return. Confident KJ and Brown are gone. Daniels most likely gone. Johnson has been said he wants to get closer to home. His only offer so far is Nevada which is a long way from Little Rock. If he was to return, he doesn't count. I don't see him returning though.

So, somewhere between two and five. I think.
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

sfa17 said:

To expand upon what No-look said....

While Aku was never able to get going in Aggieland, some of that was due to some unlucky circumstances that held back his development after graduating early from high school. In A&M Coach Buzz Williams' first year at A&M, Aku arrived on campus late and therefore did not go through summer workouts with the team. He still made some contributions as an energy player off the bench, but then had last summer wiped away as a result of the pandemic. Williams noted during the season that was the first time a player has not gone through summer workouts with the A&M staff since Jae Crowder where the staff specifically focuses on drills and player development.

"Specific to Jonathan Aku, he was admitted to Texas A&M the Friday afternoon before school started on Monday so last year he did not have a summer with us," Williams said prior to the Kansas State game. "He's the first player in my career who never had a summer with us since Jae Crowder, who was a junior college transfer who was in summer school. Then this summer I sent our guys home because of the pandemic so Aku has missed both summers."

Nonetheless, he still has three years of eligiblity left with experience playing in the SEC. One of the highlights of Aku's time came back during the 2019-2020 season where he pulled down seven boards in 18 minutes of action in a big road win over Tennessee. That same season he also pulled down four rebounds in 16 minutes of action against Auburn.
PurpleOut
Staff
I think rebounding is a big part of our game, as it is with everyone of course. But we do well traditionally on offensive boards. More offensive boards = more shots = more points.

Interestingly enough, last year we ranked 54th in Offensive Rebounds, but 261st in Defensive Rebounds.
SFAXE93

Here is that game against Tenn. #15
SFA Jack Fanatic
He moves very well. He's mobile and not just big. Maybe it's just me seeing him in one game, but he looked a little timid with the ball on offense. I'm betting that our coaches can fix that.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

I think rebounding is a big part of our game, as it is with everyone of course. But we do well traditionally on offensive boards. More offensive boards = more shots = more points.

Interestingly enough, last year we ranked 54th in Offensive Rebounds, but 261st in Defensive Rebounds.

If we can get that evened out, we could really do some damage to teams.

Those defensive extended possessions hurt us more than once this year.
cboothe09
Continue to hit the transfer portal or look for some passed over HS talent?
PurpleOut
Staff
With multiple spots left, I'd like to see us do both. We've got a pretty good squad of experienced players, with only Tezeno (HS), Posey (injury) and Moor (JUCO) not having D1 game experience. But I think it's going to be more ideal to keep going in the portal. Still a lot of talented kids there.

Ware/Kachelries/Kensmil obviously is the big question mark that would make a difference on who we go after.

G - Ware
G - Kachelries
G - Posey
G - Hawkins
G - Jossell
G - Tezeno
G/F - Moor
G/F - Hall
F - Solomon
F - Kensmil
F - Nana
F - Aku

No-look
Please no injuries this year. I really wanted to see Posey play this past year. D1 is a lot different from high school but I think Posey and Tezeno can adapt quickly...Nana was a pleasant surprise to contribute as a freshman. I really thought it would take him a year. I wasn't wrong just mistaken. Lol
LUMBERJACK2005
SFAXE93 said:

C: JONATHAN AKU 6-10; 263 Lewisville, Texas (i School) So. **** #26 C; #16 STATE (TX.); #149 NATION
Offers from Texas A&M, Arkansas, Baylor, UConn, Georgetown, Houston, LSU, Miami (FL.), Oklahoma State, Seton Hall, St. John's, TCU, Temple, Texas Tech, Tulane, UTA, Virginia Tech, New Mexico

#15 for A&M. Nice move at 1:46
Excited about the pickup, but that may be the least impressive Rivals highlight reel that I've ever seen. Can't teach size!
sfa17
cboothe09
lol
No-look
Wishing the best for Cam. Hopefully he can find something close to home. Would love to see him back at SFA this year.
Rev007
Distance from Murfreesboro, TN to Little Rock, AR is approximately 375 miles. Distance from Nacogdoches to Little Rock is approximately 293 miles. Blessed to receive an offer farther from home??? Something is not adding up.
PurpleOut
Staff
At least he's getting offers and getting the opportunity to play. Being close to home doesn't have to be his only factor for wanting to play elsewhere.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

At least he's getting offers and getting the opportunity to play. Being close to home doesn't have to be his only factor for wanting to play elsewhere.

Think there's a couple factors there. One, if he maybe wants to play for a different school, wanting to play closer to home is natural.

But you can't join the transfer portal just for "if I get offers in a geographic reason" and if I'm another school, I'm absolutely calling Cam regardless of how far I am from Little Rock.

And as we know, folks like to offer who's a hot commodity, so if he's not getting bites from UALR, Memphis, Ark State or Arkansas, makes sense to promote other offers and make them see what they're missing.

If he comes back I'll be happy, if he plays for anyone but Sam I'll be happy. Dude put in 2 great years for the Jacks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.