2018 Basketball Offers

262,107 Views | 596 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TallTexan
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No-look said:

PurpleOut said:

Efe Odigie has committed to UTEP. He's again a kid we were after, committed to Fresno State, and is now following Terry to El Paso.
Will Likekele follow?

He already committed to live in the desert once, so why not?
sfa17
TallTexan said:

Desert > Ncaa Tourney
If he goes to El Paso than the Utep coach deserves a raise already. bc he is also being recruited by Ok St., Tech, Baylor, A&M, Purdue, Marquette (per Eric Bossi). Plus Utep is also going to be rebuilding for a while. They still have 6 scholarship spots still left for 2018 (that means they currently dont have 1 single bench player)
SFAJack_76
sfa17 said:

TallTexan said:

Desert > Ncaa Tourney
If he goes to El Paso than the Utep coach deserves a raise already. bc he is also being recruited by Ok St., Tech, Baylor, A&M, Purdue, Marquette (per Eric Bossi). Plus Utep is also going to be rebuilding for a while. They still have 6 scholarship spots still left for 2018 (that means they currently dont have 1 single bench player)
He has visits scheduled to both UTEP and Tech.
sfa17
Chris beard ready to use the " we got a kid from the same area as you to the NBA. You might have heard of him, Isaac." Vs a utep team that will probably not win 18 games next season. But anything is possible
SFAJack_76
sfa17 said:

Chris beard ready to use the " we got a kid from the same area as you to the NBA. You might have heard of him, Isaac." Vs a utep team that will probably not win 18 games next season. But anything is possible
Yep. I suspect it is Tech all the way with the vist to UTEP being a courtesy to the coach he committed to before. Of course, he can show Isaac that 1966 national championship trophy. Tech doesn't have one of those.
No-look
Wondering how the recruiting trail is going? Anyone we are aggressively pursuing? Other than Likekele?
SFAJack_76
sfa17
No-look said:

Wondering how the recruiting trail is going? Anyone we are aggressively pursuing? Other than Likekele?
Idk about 2018 but I have posted some stuff in 2019
sfa17
Elijah Landrum. Keller was recruiting him in his first season. We were in his final 5. Smu, Tulsa, Us Vcu and FIU. He committed to Smu. For every Zhaire Smith there is a Elijah Landrum and Brandon Averette
TallTexan
Ya but those guys could still have bloomed at SFA. Not making it at a high major doesn't necessarily mean they'd be a miss for us.
sfa17
yeah. I agree. that was my point. maybe elijah or averette could have been excellent at SFA instead of now probably going to JUCO team and starting all over again
TallTexan
sfa17 said:

yeah. I agree. that was my point. maybe elijah or averette could have been excellent at SFA instead of now probably going to JUCO team and starting all over again
Gotcha. Ya it always makes me wonder. Like look, I get that the P5 offer looks shiny and all, but do you want to win & beat those guys in March or not? Because you'll probably be trying to get a starting spot against an NBA draft pick.
sfa17
Nigel Hawkins, A guy we were after last summer. Has committed to UTEP. really Big pick up for UTEP. He had offers from us, UH and A&M (but both those offers were more than a year old. ) wonder if it was one of those situation in which the player waited to long to commit. UTEP's Coach can recruit.
No-look
UTEP getting some good players.
TallTexan
No-look said:

UTEP getting some good players.
I like El Paso, but in my opinion, it doesn't appeal to a lot of people and is far from everything, so I'm surprised they are able to land some decent recruits.

My main gripe with UTEP the school though is that it's not called Texas Western anymore. I think that sounds a lot cooler than UTEP.
PurpleOut
Staff
Forgot to mention it, but Keonte Kennedy from Austin Westlake got his release from Xavier. I believe he visited us pretty early on before getting bigger offers. He's been racking them up in the past few days (Oklahoma, Baylor, Tech, SMU, Memphis). Not sure if we still have an open offer, but he's probably still bound for a bigger school.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Forgot to mention it, but Keonte Kennedy from Austin Westlake got his release from Xavier. I believe he visited us pretty early on before getting bigger offers. He's been racking them up in the past few days (Oklahoma, Baylor, Tech, SMU, Memphis). Not sure if we still have an open offer, but he's probably still bound for a bigger school.

Dang. I hate those P6 buzzards swooping in late in the game, but good for him.
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

Not for long men. These training facilities we are building will be nice and very attractive to recruits who want to try and advance to the next level.. Getting those types of recruits will help us keep winning. I still think they should lock Keller down and make it to where if someone steals him then they owe us 3-5 million and that can be used for a new coach.. I like Keller and want them to step up pay him because he works his ass off and his players would run through a wall for him..
sfa17
TallTexan said:

Then you are not going to like hearing that Sam'Zha Hart. The player Coach k and wade visited last week who only had one offer. Now has offers from OU, Kstate, VTech and Tulsa. We didnt offer him so it doesnt hurt as much.
No-look
Keller can spot the talent early.
sfa17
Coach Wade too. Assistant coaches don't get a lot of praise but they do the dirty work and travelling. I think with better facilities we can beat mid level P6 schools for players. like SMU and UH. I believe we are a better "basketball" program than SMU and UH but we lose recruits to SMU and UH every year. We Lost 2 guys to SMU last year. Some of that has to do with them playing in AAC but a lot of it is bc of facilities. It is hard to compete with a school who has better facilities and a practice gym. We have the records just need that little extra. Imagine recruits visiting Smu, UH and us back-to-back. That is a tough sale even with our record.
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

. It is hard to compete with a school who has better facilities and a practice gym. We have the records just need that little extra.
Yeah. That multi-million dollar makeover that UH is getting on their playpen won't help us any either. Must be nice to have a billionaire who just happens to be the chairman of the board of regents.
No-look
See where Sam, Texas State and South Dakota have reached out to TJ Washington. Looks like he's heating up.
sfa17
Not sure we are after him anymore. If Nicholas signs there is no room for tj. Which is disappointing bc I think we could get him easily. We can't just count on comeux, bains, Stefon and 2 freshmen for points off the bench, when we still have 1 spot open. Potential starting line up looks good but the bench is a huge question mark. Would like to have extra player who could play this year or else bench is gonna have to step up.
No-look
sfa17 said:

Not sure we are after him anymore. If Nicholas signs there is no room for tj. Which is disappointing bc I think we could get him easily. We can't just count on comeux, bains, Stefon and 2 freshmen for points off the bench, when we still have 1 spot open. Potential starting line up looks good but the bench is a huge question mark. Would like to have extra player who could play this year or else bench is gonna have to step up.
Would Nicholas be eligible this year? If not would that leave a spot open.
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

sfa17 said:

He would have to sit out a year. I'm not sure about the number of scholarships left for the upcoming year or the next one. Can anyone answer that?
No-look
edstile said:

No-look said:

sfa17 said:

He would have to sit out a year. I'm not sure about the number of scholarships left for the upcoming year or the next one. Can anyone answer that?

Isn't there one unless someone transfers out?
PurpleOut
Staff
We have one spot left. Nicholas is nothing but an offer right now. If he commits/signs then it counts for next year even though he sits.

We're not really after Washington anymore, it seems.
sfa17
No-look said:

edstile said:

Isn't there one unless someone transfers out?
If we get Nicholas it will counts as the last spot even though he will not play next season. Hate saying this but it is the honest truth.. Jovan. Seems like a nice guy but most schools would have cut him a while ago. 3 years on scholarship is good enough. Obviously not transferring but moving to walk-on position. But that is not going to happen now. So we have only 1 spot
nacluth
You can't rescind scholarships can you? Just drive the people away.
sfa17
nacluth said:

no you cant. but things do happen. But it wont so no point. Just being devil's advocate
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Exactly what I was about to say. The school has committed to giving him a full ride for four years.
TallTexan
edstile said:

nacluth said:

Exactly what I was about to say. The school has committed to giving him a full ride for four years.

I'm fine with Jovan on scholarship. Not every guy will turn into a superstar, but some turn into cancers. Jovan is a team guy no matter what and who knows, he might surprise us.
SFASawmillGuy
Jovan actually plays an important part. He hypes everyone up. He genuinely loves basketball and loves being out there, and it's contagious. He's the energy of the team on the bench.
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

Jovan actually plays an important part. He hypes everyone up. He genuinely loves basketball and loves being out there, and it's contagious. He's the energy of the team on the bench.
Jovan cracks me up. One of my favorite moments of last year was the Jovan press conference. He's definitely a crowd favorite too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.