COVID-19 info

68,016 Views | 431 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TallTexan
cboothe09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We are wrapping up the first grading period. A little bit of a spike lately so we will see how things go. We have a Fall Break scheduled for next week, so it may be great timing. Then again, who knows how the kids will handle their freedom next week...
nacluth
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

What's the age breakdown of those 90 deaths per day in Texas?
It's kind of hard to find stats by age that are so recent as to make judgments about the most recent deaths. The reason is that deaths are confirmed by region, but then the general statistics get kept by the state.

However, here's the general breakdown by age for all Texans so far. My guess that it's pretty close to the current breakdown.

80+ : 32.8%
70's : 25.4%
60's : 21.2%
50's : 12.3%
40's : 5.6%
30's : 1.9%
Under 30 : .7%

So almost 900 40-year-olds have died compared to 4000 70-year-olds. If you have immune system compromises which is much more common in those about 65, you have a much higher chance of mortality. Take care Ed.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Local schools up here are becoming close to a disaster. I know of at least 4 schools close by that have cases/kids being quarantined. One school in Prosper ISD has shut down completely for this week.

My parents district has has atleast 15 staff members out. 4A.
SFAJack_76
Link to the Lufkin ISD dashboard.

https://sites.google.com/lufkinisd.org/covid-tracking/home
cboothe09
15?!?!? Wow...We are a big 5A and we have just one current staff member
TallTexan
A few of those are recovered. But my parents campus had 5 out on their campus alone.

Palestine & Westwood are currently at about 15 combined, they'd be a small 5A if the same district.
cboothe09
Fair enough. Still a lot of teachers to get hit with it. Not sure what our overall number is for staff at our campus, but only one active case. Of the 19 campuses, there are 11 active cases among staff.
PurpleOut
Staff
Just got an updated from a friend in my old neighborhood, where my daughter went to school first. They have 130 kids out currently. Out of 300.

They think the tracing goes back to a big dinner party some parents had.

Goodness.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

Just got an updated from a friend in my old neighborhood, where my daughter went to school first. They have 130 kids out currently. Out of 300.

Goodness.
"Stupid is as stupid does."
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Goodness.

Wow.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Fredonia Hill Baptist Academy has shut down for two weeks after their computer teacher has tested positive. Coach Keller's kids go there.
Pilotgirl
My district has 14 staff positive. And only self contained, PreK, K, 7th and 9th returned for two weeks so far. Ob Monday, all students return (other than those wishing to stay virtual, which is about 50%). All staff has not been required to return either. I have been doing a bit on campus and then finishing working at home. Starting Monday, I will be on campuses full time. I think our numbers will rise during the next 1 to 2 weeks.
Update: up to 16 staff positive 10/9.
SFAJack_76
Is it possible that having football is reducing the spread by giving these kids and their families a compelling reason to follow safe protocols?
SFAJack_76
I got my first dose of the Moderna vaccine on Thursday. No side effects other than a sore arm. I have heard from others that side effects from the second dose are more pronounced, including chills and fever.

The process of communicating when doses are available, and how to sign up, in Angelina County has been abysmal. The Angelina County & Cities Health District deservedly gets the blame. The processes when I got the shot were outstanding. From the time I drove into the civic center parking lot, to the time I drove out, was about 30 minutes. 15 minutes of that was the post shot observation time. Angelina County was announced as a hub on Friday, and is expected to get 2,000 doses this week. I don't doubt they can administer the doses, but they have no mechanism in place to get that many scheduled that quickly.
Pilotgirl
I had the moderna shot 2.5 weeks ago. A little nervous bc there has been no information on follow up appt. Mine was thru Harris Co/my work. I had a sore arm and neck for 3 days. The next day, during afternoon, I was fatigued for a couple hours. The next shot will have more side effects so will try to plan for Thursday or Friday so I have weekend to recoup.
My mom received hers with ft. Bend co (Pfizer). She had less side effects than me and they made her follow up appt the day she received the shot. I was impressed with both operations. Easy easy.
Hoping I am able to get a 2nd dose in a couple weeks.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I'm in southern Brazoria County. No side effects from the first dose whatsoever. My wife had a sore arm at the injection site for a day, but nothing else. Easy peasy. I'm scheduled to get my 2nd shot on Tuesday.
SFAJack_76
I did get the schedule for my second dose when I got the first. Exactly, to the minute, 28 days after the first.
TallTexan
If you have had covid, I'd strongly suggest getting scanned for clots. Obviously a link to covid won't be confirmed until an autopsy, but my wife is seeing similar cases where a patient seemingly recovered and then has severe health complications a lot in young & old folks in their rehab.

Terrible news for his family.

SFA Jack Fanatic
Got my second Moderna dose on Tuesday. No problems. Wife has a sore arm at the injection site again, but that's all.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
Per prof Wagnon, if any of y'all are down that way.

"If anyone is interested in getting the COVID vaccine call Newton county and get on the list. They are scheduling for tomorrow.
It's about a 1.5 hour drive for me.
When I scheduled she asked me to share with anyone who is over 18 and hasn't had COVID in 30 days.

409-379-5291
Newton Civic Center"
TallTexan
All school employees and child care workers are now eligible in the state of Texas.

If you know someone, get them signed up.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
I like this move. Spring semester gets us through to summer, when we should have vaccinations for vast majority of folks.

Then hopefully a far more normal fall awaits. Though to be fair, I still might don my mask in extremely crowded spaces from here on out. The cold/flu dropping off like crazy makes it an attractive option for airports and packed stores and such.
SFAJack_76
Got my second dose of the Moderna vaccine on Thursday. No side effects other than a sore arm. Very similar to the first dose.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
Starting next week, every adult in Texas is eligible for the vaccine, so get those appointments made so we can beat Covid like it's a Sam Houston basketball squad.
djsfw57
Got my first vaccine yesterday. Needle was pretty long, but needles don't bother me. Until yesterday. It was fine when administered, but about 3 hours later my arm hurt like a monster. Still hurts today too. Very odd. No other side effects so far. My second one is in 3 weeks.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
PurpleOut
Staff
This is going well (check the comments).

TallTexan
Ya I knew they were going to take some lumps for that one.

Even if you'd gotten everyone in that room a vax, still would have been a terrible idea for optics and leadership to everyone else on campus.
Ljacks&Longnecks
While I of course support the work that our student athletes do in their respective sports to have this event held with more capacity and likely less distancing than other school sponsored activities and groups looks wrong at the very least. Hard to defend when others are held to different standards.
Certainly won't win any student support for an athletic fee.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
I hear there are two WAC football programs on pause due to Covid. Our team is about 90% vaccinated.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.