COVID-19 info

68,839 Views | 431 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TallTexan
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is from yesterday and now they're up to 109 today.

This is since June 15th. Does not bode well for Sam & perhaps for our students returning as well.

TallTexan
This is also bad news.

They tested about half of the incoming students statewide. That's some serious community spread.

TallTexan
SFA aint playing.

Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

SFA aint playing.

Great job by Dr Peck... People just need to mask up if it makes someone feel better... Be nice to your neighbor people... not gettting into a debate if they work or not its all about making your neighbor feel better/safer thats all it is... be nice to people..
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan
I thought bars were closed?
nacluth
"The TABC recently allowed some bars and other businesses with high alcohol sales to reopen as restaurants after they applied for food and beverage certificates. However, this workaround requires businesses to have an onsite kitchen and keep alcohol sales under 51%, which excludes many bars across the state and is sometimes cost prohibitive."

From this article: https://www.texastribune.org/2020/08/21/texas-bars-shutdown/

Anyone think they are getting more than half of their sales from food? I've never been there so I couldn't say.
TallTexan
I've only been once, but I didnt even know they had a kitchen.

204 reviews on google, and not one mentioned food.
TallTexan
Not good news.

nacluth
To be fair, even diseases that are "once in a lifetime" diseases typically have a few that re-catch them. So far, it seems like worldwide there is a very, very small percentage out of the 25 million confirmed cases that may have been reinfected.

What we're not seeing yet is large scale reinfection. Also we're not really seeing different strains causing multiple infections like we do with the flu. That is all good news. The big concern is that we haven't had the time to see what the post-infection resistance is like for the average person. It looks like it's at least 6 months so far which is a positive sign.
TallTexan
Definitely good news that we're not seeing a lot of cases like this yet.

My biggest concern & reason for sharing is that given a long enough timeline, we dont know yet that folks cant get reinfected.

Hopefully it's like chicken pox in a once in a lifetime event, but we won't know that for several more months atleast.
nacluth
My wife has had chicken pox twice. Me never. Now everyone tells me if I get it, it could kill me. :0

12,000 Texans dead since April 1. There's no playing around with COVID.
TallTexan
Twice? Dang.

I only had it once.

Well don't be out catching chicken pox I guess. Are you too old for the vaccine?
TallTexan
nacluth said:

12,000 Texans dead since April 1. There's no playing around with COVID.

Two people who shall not be named but who are very related to me per DNA tests* caught it teaching school this week. So far fever on and off, but they were teaching remotely today so i guess they're feeling a bit better.

Also,one of them says they lost taste/smell and it's terrible.

School made it back 6 days before they got sick. Very contagious and I'm very concerned it's going to spread like wildfire in our schools.

*I would absolutely post who it is but said individuals are convinced i have a national following online.
TallTexan
SFA Covid Numbers: On campus cases since 7/23.

Students 43
Staff. 16

Cases of staff/students not on campus:
nacluth
Are the off campus numbers for the past month too?
TallTexan
Yep.
SFAJack_76
Quote from the Diboll ISD superintendent in a Lufkin Daily News story:

"Today, we were notified that we have several student athletes and other members of our student body who attended a party over the weekend and are now exhibiting symptoms that could be related to COVID-19," Thomas said in the statement. "Those symptoms include fever, loss of taste and smell, diarrhea and vomiting. Those students' parents have been notified and those students have been sent home."

Several students sent home. Football and volleyball games this week canceled.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Quote from the Diboll ISD superintendent in a Lufkin Daily News story:

"Today, we were notified that we have several student athletes and other members of our student body who attended a party over the weekend and are now exhibiting symptoms that could be related to COVID-19," Thomas said in the statement. "Those symptoms include fever, loss of taste and smell, diarrhea and vomiting. Those students' parents have been notified and those students have been sent home."

Several students sent home. Football and volleyball games this week canceled.
Hate to hear this. What were there parents thinking letting them go party over the weekend?
SFAJack_76
Good news.

SFAJack_76
Follow the link if you want up to date information.

http://sfasu.edu/fall2020/cases
SFAJack_76
We played them Friday in Nacogdoches.
TallTexan
That's not good.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFA Jack Fanatic
The article is exactly right in that the issue is confining the cases to the students and not allowing it to spread throughout local communities.

In a recent study of 37 major universities across America (included in the study were UT, A&M, TCU, and Tech) there were a total of 48,299 cases but only two hospitalizations and zero deaths of students.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
We should recognize what a great job our fall Sport coaches and student-athletes have done to stay healthy.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

We should recognize what a great job our fall Sport coaches and student-athletes have done to stay healthy.

I've been very impressed. I realize a factor of luck is involved, but I know our coaches and trainers have been putting in work too to keep our kids safe.
SFA Jack Fanatic
New virus survival rates, per the CDC...

0-19: 99.997%
20-49: 99.98%
50-69: 99.5%
70 and over: 94.6%
BigJack85
They could have scheduled SFA!
SFAJack_76
Wow ....
nacluth
Just checking back into this thread with some more information.

First, my kids have been back to school full time now for a couple of weeks. Local schools have done a pretty good job with safety and planning. (Nacogdoches was one of the latest schools districts in the region to start.) There have been several cases in the local schools, but no outbreaks in the elementary age kids - though high school sports especially football has been hit.

Locally things are getting much more "normal" though it does seem like safety measures in general are being more loosely followed than a month ago. Much closer distancing and less mask use. I think there is the feeling that we opened up and no big spike, so everything's ok. What do forum readers think?

However, numbers are still not good for Texas. Despite reports that a more contagious but less deadly strain of the virus has dominated Texas, more people die in Texas on average every day from COVID than any other state. About a third of all COVID deaths right now are Texans.

US COVID daily death rate: 325
Texas COVID deaths per day: 90

This is down from our peak of around 200 average deaths per day, but is still not good from a national perspective. Florida (#2) is at 41, California is at 29. In total, almost 16,500 Texans have died.

Only 2.7% of Texans have had a confirmed positive test. We're not close to any kind of herd immunity, so please be safe.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Texas COVID deaths per day: 90

What's the age breakdown of those 90 deaths per day in Texas?
PurpleOut
Staff
Local schools up here are becoming close to a disaster. I know of at least 4 schools close by that have cases/kids being quarantined. One school in Prosper ISD has shut down completely for this week.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.