COVID-19 info

68,023 Views | 431 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TallTexan
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Angelina county has finally surpassed Nacogdoches in total confirmed case count. Nac still has 5x the deaths though.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Nac still has 5x the deaths though.

What could be the cause(s) of that??
nacluth
Mainly that two nursing homes got hit hard here. But other than that, it may just be bad luck.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Mainly that two nursing homes got hit hard here. But other than that, it may just be bad luck.

Sadly, a lot of it appears to be luck. Palestine's had hundreds of cases in the prison, but only one death to date I believe.

Of the 100 non prison cases, it's mostly hit younger people & we've avoided nursing home cases by some miracle.

But that could all change tomorrow with one exposure.
nacluth
Over 10,000 new cases in the last two days in Texas. Angelina above 425 cases while Nacogdoches is over 350 now. Thankfully deaths have not spiked with the cases. We will know in about a week if this is a stable trend or if there's a lapse between cases and deaths.
TallTexan
Dang that's a lot of cases.

Do yall have any prisons that they're counting?
nacluth
Not in Nac. I haven't heard if the Diboll cases are being included in Angelina's numbers yet, but I don't think so.
Ljacks&Longnecks
In Austin/Travis County according to TDSHS stats from June 10th to today June 24, Austin has shown a 250% increase in positive cases..that coming on a 34.5% increase in testing. On June 14, Texas hospitalizations were at Approx 2300, now 10 days later they are at near 4400. These are from Texas Health Services stats.
The Texas death rate has stayed steady since Memorial Day showing a straight line on that graph, but with hospitalizations up, the death rate will likely follow.

So, with Texas rates soaring and many other states going up as well, I just don't see how kids will go back to school soon or that fall sports will be played, along with all the other aspects of life that are affected, many of which obviously of more importance.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Not in Nac. I haven't heard if the Diboll cases are being included in Angelina's numbers yet, but I don't think so.
The Diboll prison cases are not included in those Angelina County numbers. That is about 225 more.
nacluth
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29361961/entire-grand-canyon-men-basketball-team-quarantined-due-coronavirus
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

nacluth said:

The Diboll prison cases are not included in those Angelina County numbers. That is about 225 more.

Crazy. I think we're approaching 100 non prison cases in Anderson County. We're at nearly 1000 with prison included.

We're not the best on testing, but our Healthcare system just hasnt seen any signs of a surge yet. This virus is crazy, spreads & will leave one county unscathed & then hammer the next.
SFA Jack Fanatic
UConn is eliminating four sports: men's cross country, women's swimming and diving, men's tennis, and women's rowing.
PurpleOut
Staff
This is fun:

nacluth
Time to buy toilet paper. Can't be left out again.
TallTexan
Was just thinking that.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

UConn is eliminating four sports: men's cross country, women's swimming and diving, men's tennis, and women's rowing.

Shoulda ditched football & went basketball only. I can't imagine those 4 sports are costing them so much as to the the difference maker.

In fact, they're probably losing more after partial schollies come into play.
Pilotgirl
3176 cases in my county. Things are scary down here folks. Ceasing elective surgeries is not stopping the spread...it will just allow for more available living coffins.

And to think we are gearing up for students to come back by Aug 6th. I don't think so...not with July 4th coming up and there will be a huge surge after that (falls on a weekend, too).
TallTexan
July 4th is going to be terrible. Worse than memorial day.

Both my nieces birthdays are in July and fam is like "are you coming to the party?"

Like no, not if there's going to be more than the 8 or 9 of us.

Even the 8 or 9 makes me nervous.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

July 4th is going to be terrible. Worse than memorial day.

Both my nieces birthdays are in July and fam is like "are you coming to the party?"

Like no, not if there's going to be more than the 8 or 9 of us.

Even the 8 or 9 makes me nervous.
Yep.

A few cities up here have cancelled their firework shows, or moved them outside of the city and only doing a live stream for viewing. But I also saw towns like Colleyville, who is having some sort of early 4th of July event tonight, and isn't changing anything and said people aren't required to wear masks.

A few weeks ago our pool opened up (after our residents through a complete fit to the HOA, including filing lawsuits that it wasn't opening correctly). Last week someone called the lifeguard company and said he tested positive, just 2 days after visiting the pool. He didn't tell them his name or give any contact info, and won't contact the HOA or anyone else to provide any information.

IT'S MADDENING.
TallTexan
That's insanity.

And so far as I know, our town is still hosting a show but it's just a firework show. Park your car, sit on the tailgate, watch the show, go home.
Pilotgirl
6000 new cases in Texas. Houston at worst threat level. Pur hospitals are maxed out. Been nice knowing everyone...incompetence at controlling this pandemic in the US has not worked. Doubt we will be going back to work in person if trajectory continues. Sports ain't happening either until maybe the Spring.

My friend in the Houston area lost her grandparents(who lived about 10 minutes from me) and uncle in 1.5 weeks. This is 100% real and people dont take it seriously until it affects them/someone they know. Stay home as much as possible.
SFAJack_76
nacluth
An interesting move. I guess they are trying to see if anyone has already had it. Maybe it's to provide some peace of mind, but a bunch of negatives won't really prove anything except that everyone is still vulnerable.
No-look
Does this mean all new recruits are on campus?
TallTexan
nacluth said:

An interesting move. I guess they are trying to see if anyone has already had it. Maybe it's to provide some peace of mind, but a bunch of negatives won't really prove anything except that everyone is still vulnerable.

Tbh, I'd have preferred they did an active test but maybe those are harder to come by still.
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth
Nacogdoches has now announced a voluntary order strongly recommending masks. It's a middle ground that's not really going to please anyone, but businesses can require masks of their employees and customers with at least a mild sense of support from the local officials.

Nacogdoches had its largest single daily confirmed case count with 16 new cases today.

Texas Cases and Deaths by Month

March: 3,266 cases - 41 deaths
April: 24,821 cases - 741 deaths
May: 39,466 cases - 890 deaths
June: 95,699 cases - 752 deaths

As you can see, Texas' cases are spiraling out of control since quarantine measures have been repealed. Testing numbers are about 25% higher per day than they were through the month of May. However, by far the best news out of anything happening statewide is that our death toll has not followed suit with the case rise.

While I am not a doctor, my immediate family has several doctors and several nurses (some in the front line of COVID care). Their perspective is that medical personnel are getting better at treating the worst patients. However, they all caution that people are not coming in quick enough. If you are experiencing more than mild symptoms (ie any shortness of breath), get to a doctor or hospital. Let's all pray for a better July.
nacluth
Nacogdoches and Angelina counties just crossed 400 and 500 cases respectively. To put that in perspective, in the time Nac doubled its numbers, Angelina saw its numbers increase five-fold.
TallTexan
TallTexan
sfajack05
Rutgers announced they are going to mostly online courses for the fall. This is the first major university that I know that has made this decision. I know some have said students won't return after the thanksgiving break and some smaller colleges like Texas College announced they'll be fully online for the fall.

https://www.rutgers.edu/news/rutgers-university-announces-fall-2020-plans

A couple excerpts:

"A limited number of courses in disciplines that benefit greatly from access to campus facilities such as select courses in the arts, laboratory or field work, and clinical instruction will happen on campus with appropriate health-related precautions, Holloway said."

Decisions regarding the upcoming athletic season will continue to be guided by state requirements and policies developed by the campuses' respective athletic conferences.

It's going to be interesting to see how others follow suit and what impact that will have on athletics because I cannot see them having games if there are no students or a very limited number on campus.

Also, TEA has dropped the ball on providing guidance for Texas districts to open in the fall.
TallTexan
Harvard just announced all online for fall & spring.
TallTexan
And you're right on the TEA. My parents were livid this weekend that they're not providing districts anu guidelines.

They don't believe each ISD should be trying to piecemeal a plan together.
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth
This is going to be the most challenging issue this season. How do you handle positive athlete cases? Strict quarantine for the sick seems a given, but what about their teammates who they have been extremely close to physically?

Three asymptomatic on move-in day is a good catch, but what happens if one basketball player gets it mid season? Do you quarantine 15 guys for two weeks? I know everyone is working on it, but how any team/conference/NCAA is going to make a clear guideline on this just seems doubtful at this point. 6 to 8 weeks from starting full sports and I feel like we're still winging it like we did conference tournament week.

Edit: Sorry, really not meaning to sound dire here. Just honestly concerned that this is going to be an ad hoc mess of a season if people can't get clear with how a season can run.

I don't even want to address how out of a couple hundred athletes, 3 were positive on return without knowing it when we have thousands coming to campus soon who will not all get tested on arrival.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.