(RV) SFA VS. #1 SAM HOUSTON STATE (BOTPW)

53,180 Views | 521 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Kat1990
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kat1990 said:

Purple
Josh Yonis was the guy tweeting
He said:
Southland teams rightfully ranked but seeing a 3-2 team enter the rankings for a loss to team without its starting qb is interesting

The WAC staff is composed of all pre-expansion guys. As I've said before on our basketball forum about their comments on SFA's MBB and WBB (ranking both of them behind WAC West teams), they don't know what they don't know.

BTW, 1990, it's good to have intelligent adult-level conversations with a SHSU fan. Thanks.
kakat10
Hello Lumberjacks,

Man was that entertaining or what? HO-LEE-COW! Just about nothing went our way for most of this game, from the very beginning we were off and out of sequence. I'll give credit to SFA for playing good defense but the external factors are there too, our All-American QB and All-American Kicker being out really took some confidence out of the Kats. It took a while for us to really find our identity without them and what you witnessed was a gritty performance by a veteran team with young leaders growing up before your eyes.

I really do hope you guys can win out and the committee sends you to Huntsville. Please come to Huntsville. I would love a rematch at full strength. You thought we had an advantage at NRG, Bowers at playoff times is something special.
Kat1990
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Kat1990 said:

Purple
Josh Yonis was the guy tweeting
He said:
Southland teams rightfully ranked but seeing a 3-2 team enter the rankings for a loss to team without its starting qb is interesting

The WAC staff is composed of all pre-expansion guys. As I've said before on pur basketball forum about their comments on SFA's MBB and WBB (ranking both of them behind WAC West teams), they don't know what they don't know.

BTW, 1990, it's good to have intelligent adult-level conversations with a SHSU fan. Thanks.
This guy is Southland I took it as some sour grapes about us leaving the Southland
We all get caught up in this week I work with a bunch of Jacks so it gets very chippy lol
Honestly I know many from both schools and lot of good people from both.
millenniumkat
Well well well….SFA has a good football team….and an even better coach. This is good to see.

Believe it or not, i was an SFA supporter before i became a Beerkat (love that btw). A friend of mine from HS had a couple seasons on the bench for SFA back in 1994-1996. Those were some good teams. Jacks had a really good QB/WR combination those years but i can't remember their names.

Until Saturday, i have not seen as complete of an SFa squad as those were. Self plays a little timid, and needs to use his whole arsenal but hes got the tools. Best DL we have faced since JmU…not as physical as NdSU, but id say faster to the ball.

Yep. sFa appears to be on the come. The rivalry is back. Congrats. Now go win out, and lets do it again in December.
Jacks4460
we are going to get this one... our dudes are pissed off they let BOTPW slip away...
kakat10
Jacks4460 said:

we are going to get this one... our dudes are pissed off they let BOTPW slip away...
y'all focus on winning out and we will do our part... then you can have a real shot at greatness (if the committee loves us)
Jacks4460
we will focus on winning every day Kakat that is what Carthel teaches.. if a game happens to be on that day then we win it.. I feel we can win out... Central Arky will be a tuff one.. If we win out and play each other do we get to tailgate at your spot and you feed all us Lumberjacks.. Since the game will probably be in Huntsville..
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

we will focus on winning every day Kakat that is what Carthel teaches.. if a game happens to be on that day then we win it.. I feel we can win out... Central Arky will be a tuff one.. If we win out and play each other do we get to tailgate at your spot and you feed all us Lumberjacks.. Since the game will probably be in Huntsville..
If this happens, and I realize it's a big if, let's take a few thousand Jacks to Huntsville.
Jacks4460
Yep KaKat can feed us all
Kat1990
Jacks4460 said:

Yep KaKat can feed us all

Bearkat Alley will be rocking if that is the case
Including all the free adult beverages provided by the distributor in the Alley

Hope the Jacks can bounce back and get it done this week and on the stripes in Conway

We will get the Rev doing fireball shots so his twitter is real fun
SFAXE93
1994 to 1996 were the John Pearce years with Gene Chizik at DC.

SFA went 11-2 in 1995 to the semi-finals and final ranking of #4.

That was the year with the record crowd that was over 23,000 at Homer Bryce against #1 McNeese with SFA #3.

JAMES RITCHEY was the QB in those years with LEONARD HARRIS at running back.

SFA shut out #6 Youngstown State that season 27-0 with Harris rushing for 124 yards (6.2 avg.) in that game and Ritchey went 15-25 for 184 yards and 2 TDs
kakat10
Jacks4460 said:

Let's Go! We will have a good time.
TallTexan
kakat10 said:

Jacks4460 said:

And of course, if you guys drop two games, we'd be glad to host most of yall as well.

We might hose ya down for fleas, but that's just standard procedure for bearkats on campus.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

kakat10 said:

Jacks4460 said:

And of course, if you guys drop two games, we'd be glad to host most of yall as well.

We might hose ya down for fleas, but that's just standard procedure for bearkats on campus.

Actually I think the host institution is based on your bid to host, not necessarily rank or record, I could be wrong. But I remember in 2014 we basically made no effort to try to host UNI.
millenniumkat
SFA_03 said:

TallTexan said:

kakat10 said:

Jacks4460 said:

Actually I think the host institution is based on your bid to host, not necessarily rank or record, I could be wrong. But I remember in 2014 we basically made no effort to try to host UNI.

This is correct, dollars and cents play a big part. Ive been told its quite literally sealed envelopes sent by schools to the NCAA on what they are willing to pay. not unlike purchasing a used car from a shady dealership. But then again it is the NCAA
TallTexan
millenniumkat said:

SFA_03 said:

TallTexan said:

kakat10 said:

Jacks4460 said:

This is correct, dollars and cents play a big part. Ive been told its quite literally sealed envelopes sent by schools to the NCAA on what they are willing to pay. not unlike purchasing a used car from a shady dealership. But then again it is the NCAA
Wait what? This is really how it works?

Why?
Jacks4460
So they can get the schools in a bidding war..
SFASawmillGuy
I mean it makes sense. Have you ever seen a school with a 5000 seat stadium host an FCS playoff game?
It's always the schools with good stadiums that host.
TheRevSFA
TallTexan said:

millenniumkat said:

SFA_03 said:

TallTexan said:

kakat10 said:

Jacks4460 said:

Why?
Money.

The seeded teams get their home game without bids, the remaining bid based upon potential ticket sales, etc. This is also why you'll see attendance under reported for playoff games, so the schools don't have to pay that much. SFA hosted Villanova in 2010 and we probably had 12-15k there and we reported less than 6k.
PurpleOut
Staff
TheRevSFA said:

TallTexan said:

millenniumkat said:

SFA_03 said:

TallTexan said:

kakat10 said:

Jacks4460 said:

Why?
Money.

The seeded teams get their home game without bids, the remaining bid based upon potential ticket sales, etc. This is also why you'll see attendance under reported for playoff games, so the schools don't have to pay that much. SFA hosted Villanova in 2010 and we probably had 12-15k there and we reported less than 6k.
Bingo. I had someone explain that to me after the Nova game and thought it was crazy. But, makes sense.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

TheRevSFA said:

TallTexan said:

millenniumkat said:

SFA_03 said:

TallTexan said:

kakat10 said:

Jacks4460 said:

Why?
Money.

Bingo. I had someone explain that to me after the Nova game and thought it was crazy. But, makes sense.
Holy cow.

Man, the FCS should really reform that. I'm all for on campus playoff games, but that seems like the dumbest way to decide hosts possible.

And also cooks the stats against FCS getting more attention and publicity.
SFASawmillGuy
I get what you're saying, but imagine a scenario where HBU goes on a run and ends up a top 10 team in the playoffs against a down Montana team. Do you think the NCAA would rather broadcast, on national television, a game with CVS as their backdrop and no stands or the best stadium in the FCS?
TheRevSFA
SFA_03 said:

I get what you're saying, but imagine a scenario where HBU goes on a run and ends up a top 10 team in the playoffs against a down Montana team. Do you think the NCAA would rather broadcast, on national television, a game with CVS as their backdrop and no stands or the best stadium in the FCS?
If they get a seed, then they have zero choice. Now would the committee reward HBU for blowing through the Southland with a seed? That's another topic.

If it came down to it, then Montana would outbid HBU due to money and ticket sales...so your scenario probably wouldn't be an issue.
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

It would suck for Montana, but HBU absolutely deserves home field advantage if they're the higher seed in a matchup.

Problem is, letting teams with HS facilities into D1 in the first place.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA_03 said:

Here we go again... Another "I Hate CVS" post.
millenniumkat
It was explained to me like an NFL city lobbying the NFL to get a superbowl just on an infinitely smaller scale. Its them saying "bring the product here and ill host it for -amount of money". The ncaa usually goes with highest bid. But like Rev said, the top 8 get seeds regardless of bids.
SFAXE93
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFA_03 said:

Here we go again... Another "I Hate CVS" post.

03 has a Walgreens reward card. He's locked in.
TallTexan
millenniumkat said:

It was explained to me like an NFL city lobbying the NFL to get a superbowl just on an infinitely smaller scale. Its them saying "bring the product here and ill host it for -amount of money". The ncaa usually goes with highest bid. But like Rev said, the top 8 get seeds regardless of bids.

What's the typical bid amount for these types of things?
KATatonic
I just find it refreshing that dogs and cats...,er...Jacks and Kats,,, are getting along and legitimately talking about a possible playoff matchup. This good old rivalry is at its best when both teams are good and competitive. And I will say this, and it is not taking at shot at the Jacks: SFA coulda, and probably shoulda, won both the BOTPW and the JSU game. But the last and most difficult hump to get over, and Sam Houston knows it as well as anyone, is learning how to finish a game off...either coming back on a team or putting your foot on their throat when you have the late lead. It is a mentality that must start with the coaching staff, but also have guys with killer instincts in the locker room. I would love it if we had the same kind of consistent conference competitiveness/rivalry every year as, say, NDSU and SDSU. Oh, and to continue a previous theme, my best friend for the last 25 years is a Lumberjack.
SFA Jack Fanatic
And you probably don't know much about our Texas Tech game, but except for two long scoring plays by Tech, SFA thoroughly outplayed them in Lubbock. We had the ball at Tech's 7 yard line at the end of the game, an obvious holding call that wasn't called on Tech while defending against our WR Gipson, and the game was over.

SFA has lost three games to Tech, Sam, and JSU by a combined total of 11 points. Very frustrating.
KATatonic
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

And you probably don't know much about our Texas Tech game, but except for two long scoring plays by Tech, SFA thoroughly outplayed them in Lubbock. We had the ball at Tech's 7 yard line at the end of the game, an obvious holding call that wasn't called on Tech while defending against our WR Gipson, and the game was over.

SFA has lost three games to Tech, Sam, and JSU by a combined total of 11 points. Very frustrating.
I listened to the end of that Texas Tech game on my truck radio. I knew you guys had a chance.
Kat1990
TallTexan said:

kakat10 said:

Jacks4460 said:

Umm I will be on SFA's campus this Friday

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.