(RV) SFA VS. #1 SAM HOUSTON STATE (BOTPW)

54,353 Views | 521 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Kat1990
AxeEm99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you are referring to me. I read this forum EVERY DAY. I choose to watch and not respond most of the time. I congratulated the two people that were responsible for the last 10 years in football. I really dont care if you like me or not. The TRUTH is the TRUTH!!
Pilotgirl
...and my concert was postponed. Just all around sh*t day.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Something else that the "we suck" crowd won't care about is that Sam is loaded with seniors and has been playing in playoff games so they certainly had a background to find a way to win. Won't matter to most here but may have been an intangible.

Not to say I wasn't pissed at the final result.
SFASawmillGuy
The "we suck" crowd is mostly unaware that Sam even won a natty last year.
Ljacks&Longnecks
AxeEm99 said:

If you are referring to me. I read this forum EVERY DAY. I choose to watch and not respond most of the time. I congratulated the two people that were responsible for the last 10 years in football. I really dont care if you like me or not. The TRUTH is the TRUTH!!

GAZETTE is that you????
MasterAxe
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

MasterAxe said:

TallTexan said:

MasterAxe said:

AxeEm99 said:

Seriously, I think McCarty and Hill deserve a 10 Year Award plaque for their accomplishments!! They mismanaged the football program and made so many pathetic coaching hires and put us in this position!!
Now this is predictably negative

I'll give you this, unlike that turd atleast you show up.
I appreciate that, I think lol.

Not trying to be super negative, but we all know we choked that away.

And you can't do from good to great by pissing away wins.

Eventually, we'll win one of these.
Exactly I even gave Master a star for this one. Master is consistent AND is always on the board.
I feel like we are all friends again
TallTexan
Let's get this game back on campus. We win that game in Nac.

We're giving Sam a home game every year.
Ljacks&Longnecks
SFA_03 said:

The We Suck crowd would not even be aware if SFA won a natty. They are like the majority of the student body that really doesn't follow SFA athletics.
MasterAxe
If y'all want some 1st class crazy negativity…head on over to TexAgs.

Things are not well there.
Ljacks&Longnecks
SFA_03 said:

The We Suck crowd would not even be aware if SFA won a natty. They are like the majority of the student body that really doesn't follow SFA athletics.
sfajack05
sfajack05 said:

Limit big plays and keep up the intensity for all 60 minutes. Can't let off the gas.

Take advantage of any mistakes they make.

Get other WR's involved. They'll be all over Gibson.

Also no dumb penalties.

I said these were the keys for us to win.

Intensity was there but not for all 60 minutes. Should have tried for some points at the end of the 1st.

SFA definitely took advantage of Sam mistakes.

Besides Gibson only one receiver had more than one catch. Self was 17/34.

No dumb penalties. I don't think I need to expand on it.

I definitely believe in this team but this loss just sucks and it's going to sting until next week. Need to bounce back against Jacksonville State.
TallTexan
MasterAxe said:

Ljacks&Longnecks said:

MasterAxe said:

TallTexan said:

MasterAxe said:

AxeEm99 said:

Seriously, I think McCarty and Hill deserve a 10 Year Award plaque for their accomplishments!! They mismanaged the football program and made so many pathetic coaching hires and put us in this position!!

Exactly I even gave Master a star for this one. Master is consistent AND is always on the board.

My apologies for attacking you directly. was absolutely frustrated at that ending and sometimes the way you word things drives me crazy but I'll take you showing up day in and day out any day over the seagull posters who swoop in, crap all over everything and leave.
MasterAxe
If y'all want some 1st class crazy negativity… head on over to TexAgs.

Things over there are …not good.
TallTexan
MasterAxe said:

If y'all want some 1sr class crazy negativity… head on over to TexAgs.

I'm not gonna lie, A&M spending 100 mil and getting worse, not better this season is making me feel better about our team.

Atleast we're trending upwards with our young dawgs.
MasterAxe
TallTexan said:

MasterAxe said:

Ljacks&Longnecks said:

MasterAxe said:

TallTexan said:

MasterAxe said:

AxeEm99 said:

My apologies for attacking you directly. was absolutely frustrated at that ending and sometimes the way you word things drives me crazy but I'll take you showing up day in and day out any day over the seagull posters who swoop in, crap all over everything and leave.
No worries at all. Those on the board that know my true identity know I want nothing but the absolute best for all our teams.

I just hate ****ing losing games we should win. Especially to those cock suckers.
AxeEm99
I dont understand why Ivey signed another 3 year deal at Reliant, especially with the budget issues. It has not benefited our school like it has substantially benefited SH! Are we going to win the first and potentially the last game played at Reliant??? We should have been home and home THIS YEAR!!
MasterAxe
All facts here.
MasterAxe
TallTexan said:

MasterAxe said:

If y'all want some 1sr class crazy negativity… head on over to TexAgs.

I'm not gonna lie, A&M spending 100 mil and getting worse, not better this season is making me feel better about our team.

Atleast we're trending upwards with our young dawgs.
All facts.
No-look
Big picture is we are better and competitive. Coaches have done a great job with the program. We could easily be undefeated with a couple small breaks. Guys played with everything they had, the ball just bounced the wrong way…
SFA Jack Fanatic
The difference in the game was that long pass completion by Prison Tech when it was (I believe) 4th and 8 from inside their 10 yard line late in the 4th. Knock that pass down and we probably win the game.

Those saying the players blew this game couldn't have been at the game. I was there, and they played their hearts out! That one play changed the momemtum. So, shut up, everyone who is criticizing the Jacks!

If the Jacks win out, it will be a major injustice if they don't get into the playoffs.
MasterAxe
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

The difference in the game was that long pass completion by Prison Tech when it was (I believe) 4th and 8 from inside their 10 yard line late in the 4th. Knock that pass down and we probably win the game.

Those saying the players blew this game couldn't have been at the game. I was there, and they played their hearts out! That one play changed the momemtum. So, shut up, everyone who is criticizing the Jacks!

If the Jacks win out, it will be a major injustice if they don't get into the playoffs.
I think most if the criticism is at the asinine play calling at the end of each half.

Coaches did our players no favors in those instances
TallTexan
Good news is, one way or another, this streak never goes above 10.

Sam can't count higher than that with their hands.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Damn, agree with Master again. I have to hang this on some of the play calling or lack thereof. Of course players have to execute plays for success but have to have the plays to produce.

I completely disagreed with letting the minute and a half go at the end of the first half and the play calling got too conservative late when the momentum had moved to the other side. At the end of first half I felt like I was watching the air squeeze out of a balloon. Then on the final drive when we "ran" to place the ball in middle of field we should have been going for a first down and closing down the FG distance. Probably a couple of other calls I questioned but forgotten right now.
MasterAxe
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Damn, agree with Master again. I have to hang this on some of the play calling or lack thereof. Of course players have to execute plays for success but have to have the plays to produce.

I completely disagreed with letting the minute and a half go at the end of the first half and the play calling got too conservative late when the momentum had moved to the other side. At the end of first half I felt like I was watching the air squeeze out of a balloon. Then on the final drive when we "ran" to place the ball in middle of field we should have been going for a first down and closing down the FG distance. Probably a couple of other calls I questioned but forgotten right now.
This has got to be a record for most times people have agreed with me
Pilotgirl
It was bound to happen one day...
nacluth
Ed, if we win out, we will definitely - no doubt - be in the playoffs. The road does not get easier from here. Jacksonville State is very good. UCA is good. We have hard games that we have to win. We haven't proven anything yet. Right now we have to fight to be in the top half of the AQ7.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

It was bound to happen one day...
Who woulda guessed that everyone would agree with master before we beat Sam?

Well one streak down, one to go.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Ed, if we win out, we will definitely - no doubt - be in the playoffs. The road does not get easier from here. Jacksonville State is very good. UCA is good. We have hard games that we have to win. We haven't proven anything yet. Right now we have to fight to be in the top half of the AQ7.
UCA beat ACU 42-21. UCA will be hard to beat in Conway. Jacksonville State lost to Kennesaw State 31-6. Our game with Jacksonville will be their homecoming. They are a hard team to figure out. Beat Florida State and have won only one other game, 27-24 over North Alabama.
PurpleOut
Staff
I don't think Jacksonville State is as good as everyone thinks. But they aren't bad either.

The problem is coming off of such an emotional loss, and having to bus from Nac to East Alabama. It's going to be tough.
SFASawmillGuy
I actually don't feel like this is a continuation of a 10 year losing streak. I feel like we just lost to our rival. Because this team feels different. This team is different.
KATatonic
My thoughts as a Sam Houston alum:

1. Overall, SFA outplayed Sam
2. Carthel, or the OC, played too conservative. Especially on the 3rd and 4 on the final drive.
3. Experienced teams find a way to win.
4. SFA will run the table, make the playoffs....and face Sam Houston in round 2 of the playoffs.
5. Gipson and Ezzard are both game changers. Both may play on Sundays..
6. Congratulations on a hard-fought and competitive game.

Jacks4460
Thanks Kats
SFA71
We DID NOT choke! If you had seen the game, you should remember that when the beercats drove down to our end of the field we had them at fourth and something. Maybe fourth and four AND WE STOPPED THEM. A facemask penalty negated that BUT THE POINT IS WE DID STOP THEM. When the face mask grab happened, we had the QB stopped and about to go down when a hard charging lineman inadvertently grabbed his facemask. It was an error BUT NOT BECAUSE WE CHOKED. If anything it was because we were going all out and karma kicked us in the gonads.

I didn't like the runs that were tried on the final drive. They accomplished very little, bordering on nothing. Ten more yards and I think we would have made the FG. We will never know.

We have a lot of Freshman and Sophomores playing against a lot of Seniors. Unlike in the past, this investment is going to pay off because Coach Carthel is the best coach we have in many years.

On the moving the game back to our campus. The field did not beat us. The beercats did. This is purely personal on my part, but if you live in Houston, you make a short 120 mile, 2 hour drive and you are there. If you live in Victoria, where I live, you are looking at a 240 mile, 4 hour journey. A little self serving for me, I guess, but are you going to get the NCAA to move the game from FRISCO, to Nacogdoches when we make it to the championship game. And yes, I did drive to Frisco and sat in the rain to watch the game that the beercats were lucky to make. And I did cheer for SD
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA71 said:

We DID NOT choke! If you had seen the game, you should remember that when the beercats drove down to our end of the field we had them at fourth and something. Maybe fourth and four AND WE STOPPED THEM. A facemask penalty negated that BUT THE POINT IS WE DID STOP THEM. When the face mask grab happened, we had the QB stopped and about to go down when a hard charging lineman inadvertently grabbed his facemask. It was an error BUT NOT BECAUSE WE CHOKED. If anything it was because we were going all out and karma kicked us in the gonads.

ABSOLUTELY, 71!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well said and spot on! Those who say the Jacks choked are full of cr**. Those people were probably watching the game from the comfort of their living room and could not see what was happening all over the field on every play, especially in the trenches. Both the OL and DL had tremendous games. And the defensive backfield had a good game, except for the two long completions late in the game when fatigue probably was setting in. (Give Prison Tech's receivers some credit. They made some great catches.) And all of our Jacks did it against what is assumed to be the best in the FCS.

I couldn't be prouder of our Lumberjacks, the fans that made the trip (they were loud and proud), the LMB (they were loud and proud) -- everyone! And yes, the coaches, too. We've got the best set of coaches that SFA has had in many, many years, and yet some of you on here are dumping on them. Those were high pressure situations that required quick decisions. Most of those decisions were good ones and a couple were bad. I wouldn't trade our set of coaches for any others in the FCS, including Prison Tech's.

One final comment. I think Prison Tech's player of the game had to be their punter. He got them out of trouble many times. That dude could really boom it.

#AxeEm
SFAJack_76
Was okay with being conservative at the end of the first. Particularly knowing we get the ball to start the second half. We were beating them straight up, and the risk of giving them a big play was too much for me. Hated the third down play call at the end of the game, although I understand it. A sack takes us out of field goal range, and Campos has been money all season. Still, playing for a 51 yard FG …

We did not choke. Period. Got outplayed late in the game by a national championship team loaded with fifth year seniors. Losing Guillory was a huge loss to the o-line. He is one of the best in FCS.

Huge week for this team. Most challenging for Carthel and staff to move forward, and get the players ready to go.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.