2020-2021 NCAA Basketball

65,264 Views | 498 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by nacluth
SFASawmillGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Honestly this women's team was special. It was a sweet 16 or possibly even elite 8 team talent wise.
But the fact we are returning so much gives me hope that this team will reload and be potentially stronger next season.
cboothe09
May not directly impact us, or the Southland but Lon Kruger, Oklahoma, has announced his retirement.
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

May not directly impact us, or the Southland but Lon Kruger, Oklahoma, has announced his retirement.

Personally, I think we're safe unless someone hires Coach Boynton away from OK State.

Big hire coming up for OU though.
djsfw57
cboothe09 said:

I'd love for Coach Keller and his family to decide they really love Nacogdoches and the people, and he will want to stay and make us the top mid-major in the country.
cboothe09
I agree. I think we have been too up-and-down for a P5 school to call on Keller right now.

He goes to Oklahoma State, and the T. Boone Pickens estate better start sending us a finders fee...
SFA Jack Fanatic
djsfw57 said:

cboothe09 said:

I'd love for Coach Keller and his family to decide they really love Nacogdoches and the people, and he will want to stay and make us the top mid-major in the country.
I share your sentiment, but...

"Let's see... Should I stay amongst the beautiful towering pines of East Texas and make $400 grand or go to Boomer Sooner or Okie State and make $2.5 mil???"

Be honest now. What would you do?
sfa17
I don't think any P5 teams will come calling this year. Yeah, I agree that he has had too many up and down seasons. Maybe if he had won the conference this season. He Might need 1 or 2 more tournaments appearances

More worried about teams outside P5 like in MWC or AAC.
nacluth
From the ESPN article.

TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

djsfw57 said:

cboothe09 said:

"Let's see... Should I stay amongst the beautiful towering pines of East Texas and make $400 grand or go to Boomer Sooner or Okie State and make $2.5 mil???"

I couldn't turn down 2.5 mil, bc that's retire after 5 years money.

But Okie State only pays 1 mil, so that'd be a lot closer.
djsfw57
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

djsfw57 said:

cboothe09 said:

Honestly? I'd stay in Nacogdoches. I can live like a millionaire there on $400 grand. I also happen to love Nacogdoches.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

djsfw57 said:

cboothe09 said:

It depends. There are a lot more variables in the equation in addition to compensation. My family made decisions in my career about where to live, and what to do.
sfa17
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/marquette-shaka-smart-reach-agreement-in-principle-for-texas-coach-to-replace-steve-wojciechowski/
via http://cbssportsapp.com
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/marquette-shaka-smart-reach-agreement-in-principle-for-texas-coach-to-replace-steve-wojciechowski/
via http://cbssportsapp.com

That is not news I expected.
cboothe09
This will be an interesting hire. A lot of smoke around Beard, but I just can't see him leaving his current situation for Texas.
nacluth
Good. Another school we can beat if we meet them in the tournament.
SFASawmillGuy
Some coaches just can't coach at an upper level. Mid major basketball and high major basketball are almost two different sports. Different athletes. Different recruiting.
I was worried Brad wouldn't be able to adapt at Illinois before this year.
sfa17
SFASawmillGuy
Oral Roberts had that game against Arkansas. That's crazy to think how close they were to a very manageable elite 8 matchup.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA_03 said:

Oral Roberts had that game against Arkansas. That's crazy to think how close they were to a very manageable elite 8 matchup.
We feel your pain, ORU.
TallTexan
Coach Boynton got paid! Awesome for him.

CertifiedAxeman98
So you are not willing to pay Underwood $3m but then pay Boynton that amount to keep him. I guess OK State learned their lesson.
TallTexan
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

So you are not willing to pay Underwood $3m but then pay Boynton that amount to keep him. I guess OK State learned their lesson.

They'd have looked real dumb if they did it twice.

I personally was hoping he'd end up at UT.
jboy93
With money like this being thrown around...there is no way Keller is still here in two years?! Sadly. Boynton was probably making, what, 100k just a few short years ago and now look, 3 million. Not a bad trajectory!
BigJack85
It seems out of bounds to me. $3 million. That should be the kind of payoff a long-term guy gets. Not today though.
SFASawmillGuy
Keller will get a big payday from a big time school soon enough. Probably one more tournament appearance will do it.
SFA Jack Fanatic
jboy93 said:

With money like this being thrown around...there is no way Keller is still here in two years?!

Bite your tongue, Jeremy!
jboy93
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

jboy93 said:

With money like this being thrown around...there is no way Keller is still here in two years?!

As bad as I hate to say it!!!! As they say MONEY talks! It seduces ALL!
SFASawmillGuy
jboy93 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

jboy93 said:

As bad as I hate to say it!!!! As they say MONEY talks! It seduces ALL!

Man it's not even about money or loyalty. Good mid major coaches don't stay mid major coaches. I know for a fact Brad loved it here, his family loved it here. But SFA wasn't Oklahoma state, and the Southland certainly wasn't the Big 12. I was hurt by Brad leaving but I understood this is not the final coaching spot for anyone starting their coaching career.

Kyle's a teambuilder. If he can recruit as well as he does here imagine going somewhere that actually has resources!
TallTexan
I don't blame these guys a bit. Most all of us would drop what we're doing for a 400k salary in a heartbeat. 10 years of that and you'd never have to work again if you didn't want to.

But that high major money means you and your kids and their kids can pursue whatever passion they want to in life. That's an entirely different tier.
SFAJack_76
SFA_03 said:

If he can recruit as well as he does here imagine going somewhere that actually has resources!
What does this mean?
SFAJack_76
I laughed.
sfa17
Wait so the draft and the transfer portal.. the gift that keeps on giving. If making bad decisions was a person
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

I laughed.

Laughing with you, 76. The term "unbelievable" came to my mind, but this is all too believable.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.