Which conference would you move to?

61,149 Views | 416 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
SFASawmillGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I sure would like our SFA Sawmill Twitter site post this stuff so that I don't have to go to katfans for information. Really weak.

My apologizes, having a newborn daughter has been keeping me from posting as much as I did during football season. I am trying to get back on the ball.
But I also try to use verified sources, where Katfans has been retweeting or sharing wild speculation at times.
SFASawmillGuy
PurpleOut said:

BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I sure would like our SFA Sawmill Twitter site post this stuff so that I don't have to go to katfans for information. Really weak.
Some people have jobs.

*Not speaking for the Sawmill Twitter account, just about the KatFans account.

Also this...
TallTexan
Congrats on the new kid!

SFASawmillGuy
Thanks! Once COVID has subsided a little she will be dressed in purple and at her first SFA game!
BigJack85
SFA_03 said:

BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

My apologizes, having a newborn daughter has been keeping me from posting as much as I did during football season. I am trying to get back on the ball.
But I also try to use verified sources, where Katfans has been retweeting or sharing wild speculation at times.

My apologies!!!!!
SFAXE93
SFAJack_76
SLC keep being you.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Bummer.
BigJack85
I doubt it but, what if Grand Canyon and Seattle U took off for the WCC. Currently at 10 members a 12 team WCC would make some sense. They (WCC) have no interest in football. Makes sense. Geography, makes sense. Not sure how I feel about joining a conference WITHOUT GCU but I'm sure it will be better than the SLC.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I doubt it but, what if Grand Canyon and Seattle U took off for the WCC. Currently at 10 members a 12 team WCC would make some sense. They (WCC) have no interest in football. Makes sense. Geography, makes sense. Not sure how I feel about joining a conference WITHOUT GCU but I'm sure it will be better than the SLC.

Aren't they gonna be at the WAC press conference?

That'd seem unlikely.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

That'd seem unlikely.
Yeah, the only other school president that will be there other than our 4 and SUU is the GCU president.

I don't think they'd attend this announcement...to announce that they were leaving.
CertifiedAxeman98
PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

That'd seem unlikely.
Yeah, the only other school president that will be there other than our 4 and SUU is the GCU president.

I don't think they'd attend this announcement...to announce that they were leaving.
The way I understand it from what I have seen on twitter is that GCU President is representing existing schools and welcoming the new schools to the conference. During COVID you probably want to limit travel to what is needed.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

That'd seem unlikely.

Yes. They are. I'm thinking 1-2 years down the road.
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

That'd seem unlikely.

I wasn't clear in my comments. I was projecting 1-2 years out.
CertifiedAxeman98
Do we know where women's bowling and beach volleyball are going?
CertifiedAxeman98
It will be interesting to see if we are moving to the WAC summer of 21 or 22. Originally it was rumored to be 22 but now hearing the SLC wants us to leave this summer.

Also, I am interested to see if tomorrow if the WAC commissioner says that their intentions are to be FBS by the end of the decade.

For those wanting SFA to wait for a better conference keep in mind that the schools that left the SLC in 2012 for the WAC ended up in the Sunbelt/C-USA. We will see if the new and improved WAC lives up to the hype.
SFAJack_76
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Do we know where women's bowling and beach volleyball are going?

Not yet.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

That'd seem unlikely.

I wasn't clear in my comments. I was projecting 1-2 years out.

Hearing their big announcement might be an AD.
SFASawmillGuy
Bowling more than likely will stay in the Southland bowling league. There aren't many bowling conferences on the country, hence why we host an SEC school.

Maybe the announcement would be the addition of beach volleyball to the WAC.
SFAJack_76
SFA_03 said:

Bowling more than likely will stay in the Southland bowling league. There aren't many bowling conferences on the country, hence why we host an SEC school.

Maybe the announcement would be the addition of beach volleyball to the WAC.
The bowling piece is logical. Particularly since SFA and Sam are perennial top ten in the country. However, this is the SLC we are dealing with, so who knows.

I doubt there is any mention of beach tomorrow.
SFAXE93

Membership will be effective July 1, 2021, meaning, we will be in the Southland Conference for the next 6 months.

Our intention was to remain in the Southland Conference until June 30, 2022, but recent decisions by the remaining Southland Board of Directors have caused us to move that timeline up.

We are disappointed in these actions, but also understand and respect the nature of the situation.

The WAC will feature 13 institutions in two divisions: Southwest and West.

• Southwest Division will include all the Texas institutions: SFA, Sam Houston, Lamar, ACU, Tarleton and UTRGV
  • West Division will include all the other institutions: Grand Canyon, New Mexico State, Cal Baptist, Seattle, Utah Valley, Southern Utah and Dixie State (located in St. George, UT)

• Note: At this time, Southern Utah is still planning to join on July 1, 2022, and Chicago State will be exiting on June 30, 2022.

• The two-division structure would maximize geographic proximity in the Southwest, while minimizing travel in non-football/basketball sports.

A significant part of that strategy is the formation of an FCS football conference
within the WAC that would include 6-9 schools.

• Current football playing members will be Lamar University, Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston State, Abilene Christian, Southern Utah, Tarleton State, Dixie State

• New Mexico State will continue to play at the FBS level as an independent.

• UTRGV has provided a letter of intent to begin an FCS program effective preferably with the 2023 season and no later than the 2024 season.

• During the initial year of membership football-playing institutions will commit to an analysis of all implications of a move to FBS.

• The Conference will seek a 14th member which will sponsor football and will align geographically with the Texas Division.

• All members will be committed to consistent web streaming with applicable broadcast standards to maximize ESPN distribution (or other potential providers) of Conference content.

• There will be a combined total of 20 Conference sports 10 men's and 10 women's.

• The Conference basketball tournaments will be played in Las Vegas.

• The basketball tournament field size will be determined based upon the available arena dates and other factors.

• All other championship sites and field sizes will be determined by the new membership structure with the expectation for equal divisional geographic distribution and/or rotation.
cboothe09
Was just about to comment on that email. Brought a tear to my eye...
TallTexan
Big big news.

RGV football is going to be a great fit.

And I can't wait to see who that 14th team is.
cboothe09
While I think #14 will be WTAMU, man would it be awesome to see Texas State move to a conference that may fit them a little better...
TallTexan
Personally, I can live without another D2 move up for a while.

My realistic preference would be Texas Southern. Football attendance over 9k, strong basketball team, in the heart of Houston, first FBS HBCU would be notable.
cboothe09
Noticed the 10 and 10 for sports. SFA currently sponsors 6 mens and 10 womens.

For men I'm assuming Men's Tennis, Men's Soccer, and ???
Not sure what will be offered on the Women's side?
Pilotgirl
So, when are we starting a WAC thread? Lol
PurpleOut
Staff
Pilotgirl said:

So, when are we starting a WAC thread? Lol
Yeah let's do it.

https://sfasawmill.com/forums/7/topics/1953/replies/64133
sfa17
SFASawmillGuy
I guess when we play UTRGV we will be lining up across from another Conque again.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

Personally, I can live without another D2 move up for a while.

My realistic preference would be Texas Southern. Football attendance over 9k, strong basketball team, in the heart of Houston, first FBS HBCU would be notable.

Maybe playing against them in BBVA for football would open the opportunity for using it as a new BOTPW site....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.