Which conference would you move to?

61,852 Views | 416 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pilotgirl said:

2022, not 2021?

Yep.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

"All those in favor say aye and wave your hand. Any opposed same sign. Thank you very much. What we have next is an announcement of committee appointments. Appointing under section 9.5 in 9.6 the rules and regulations. Nominating committee. Scott Coleman is chair with that among along with Judy Olsen and Jennifer Winston. We have an advisory committee we will reactivate. With scott Coleman as the chair. Jennifer Winston Bob Garrett Henderson --"

I believe all of those BOR members on the advisory committee are SFA grads.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Regents are in unanimous agreement that a move to the WAC helps the entire university.
"Chairman I just add that the board frequently talks about its overall vision for the University. That is academically for our students our faculty. For the University as a whole. This is part of that overall vision to raise the profile of the University. And raise us up further. We will I believe the word is elevate. That is what we are looking at in all aspects. I'm glad while we are working to elevate all parts of the campus that this is part of it as well."
SFAJack_76
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Pilotgirl said:

2022, not 2021?

Yep.

I'm kind of alright with 2022. Sort of. We get to start the WAC with the ability to challenge for a MBB title right off. Additionally our football team should be in a better spot. We should have every duck in a row.

Maybe Chi State and Seattle will have found new homes.
CertifiedAxeman98
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

Pilotgirl said:

2022, not 2021?

Yep.

I'm kind of alright with 2022. Sort of. We get to start the WAC with the ability to challenge for a MBB title right off. Additionally our football team should be in a better spot. We should have every duck in a row.

Maybe Chi State and Seattle will have found new homes.
Also gives the WAC another year to find another school with FCS football or get their waiver in place for an auto bid.
SFASawmillGuy
The name of this part of the forum needs to be changed soon. Lol
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

Let's change it to WAC bound & down.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

SFA_03 said:

Let's change it to WAC bound & down.

That's WAC
cboothe09
WACin Off
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Nothing new, but a solid summary of what has been posted.
TallTexan
Yep a good summation. The comment on FBS by NMSU's AD was interesting.
BigJack85
Nice write up. I think the FBS play (if it happens) would need to be 3-5 years off. IMHO we would need to invest $20 - $30 million + into Homer Bryce. Major updates to the field house , move track and field and bring the home stand down closer to the field.
TallTexan
Seen a few threads on Boise to the AAC.

That's a little bit bigger shoe to fall on this realignment merry go round.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Seen a few threads on Boise to the AAC.

That's a little bit bigger shoe to fall on this realignment merry go round.

Not conjecture at all to say this move (Boise to AAC) could impact WAC expansion. I think the most likely dominos to fall if BSU goes to the WAC is 1) NDSU or NMSU to the MWC. If NMSU goes to the MWC the WAC is much less attractive. 2) I could also see Montana going to fill that MWC slot. I realize that Montana has not expressed interest but this could be an opportunity for them. 3) If NMSU goes I think we would be wise to consider other options....
TallTexan
I don't think I see NMSU getting that MWC invite. Solely bc it makes life harder for existing conference member NM.

Plus, adding a bad football school would certainly be a choice.

I think there's about to be significant conference turnover out west in the next 3 to 5 years, perhaps even a Big 12 raid. What that could result in is football only membership in other conferences for some brand name schools, while they look to park their other sports in a more local conference, like the WAC.

Could be a good position to grow from and we'll have to see how things shake out.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

I don't think I see NMSU getting that MWC invite. Solely bc it makes life harder for existing conference member NM.

Plus, adding a bad football school would certainly be a choice.

I think there's about to be significant conference turnover out west in the next 3 to 5 years, perhaps even a Big 12 raid. What that could result in is football only membership in other conferences for some brand name schools, while they look to park their other sports in a more local conference, like the WAC.

Could be a good position to grow from and we'll have to see how things shake out.

I agree with you that UNM would fight that move. Within the MWC footprint there is three or four schools that are a good fit. UTSA. UTEP NMSU. Texas State. Maybe a couple more but not a truckload.
BigJack85
It's been pretty quiet on the WAC Expansion Twitter front. Seems to me with the fair degree of turmoil (UCA to the ASUN) there will be a lull until things start to fall into place as schools make commitments to force others to pick a direction.
TallTexan
I could see the WAC going UTSA. They're the main football program on an upward trajectory & it puts them in the heart of Texas.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

I could see the WAC going UTSA. They're the main football program on an upward trajectory & it puts them in the heart of Texas.

Why would UTSA go from CUSA which has media rights over $1.4 million to the WAC that is 1/2 that....????
TallTexan
Sorry, meant MWC, not WAC.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Sorry, meant MWC, not WAC.

Makes more sense. If was MWC commish I would rank Boise replacements 1) UTSA. 2) UNT 3) Texas State 4) UTEP.
BigJack85
In looking for some travel expense information I stumbled upon an article regarding Boise State moving football AAC and the balance of there sports to the Big West. Boise State officials estimated an additional $1,000,000. Essentially they would be chartering to almost every contest. All of them. A #Texas4 move to the WAC would probably add less than 1/2 of what BSU estimated. We would still maintain a large chunk of competitions that would involve bus (cheap) travel : ACU, Lamar, Sam and Tarleton would all be close. I also believe we would maintain significant non-conference arrangements with NWST and McNeese. All good cost containment options that will help prove viability of the new venture.
TallTexan
Great find.
sfa17
TallTexan
A few weeks old but looks like NAU wont consider the WAC.

https://ravallirepublic.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/article_d3162388-b0c3-51bf-b1c0-71424b09fa7f.html
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

A few weeks old but looks like NAU wont consider the WAC.

https://ravallirepublic.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/article_d3162388-b0c3-51bf-b1c0-71424b09fa7f.html

I read this one also. I don't think NAU was a reasonable target at this time with a university president transitioning in. Northern Colorado probably makes more sense. If they're interested.

I still believe this could go a couple ways. Who knows, Sam and Lamar could decide to go "all in" on the SLC or ASUN. Maybe we'll know mid January.
TallTexan
The fact that every Big Sky fan wants to give us Northern Colorado makes me think they don't have our best interests in mind.

Are there rumors of Sam to the ASUN?
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

The fact that every Big Sky fan wants to give us Northern Colorado makes me think they don't have our best interests in mind.

Not that I've heard. Regarding Northern Colorado, I don't think they've even been offered. It would be an ok get though. They have a solid baseball program. My hope is that if we move the conference we end up in has good all around programs. Not just football and basketball.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

Not that I've heard. Regarding Northern Colorado, I don't think they've even been offered. It would be an ok get though. They have a solid baseball program. My hope is that if we move the conference we end up in has good all around programs. Not just football and basketball.
Their baseball program is an affiliate member of the WAC. Women's swimming and diving also.

A few years back, football won two D2 national championships.
TallTexan
Their baseball team just switched to Summit I believe. My guess would be that they're leaning away from the WAC, but that was obviously before the WAC killed the Southland.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Their baseball team just switched to Summit I believe. My guess would be that they're leaning away from the WAC, but that was obviously before the WAC killed the Southland.
Yep. Going to the Summit after this season.
SFAJack_76

http://katfans.com/katsforum/showthread.php?22480-WAC-All-Systems-Are-Go

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.