Which conference would you move to?

61,152 Views | 416 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
cboothe09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I would love to add Men's soccer. Not a lot of options in Texas and I think we could be very competitive very quickly...Not sure if we would have to add another Women's sport though to meet Title IX requirements
SFAXE93
nacluth
That's whack
nacluth
PurpleOut said:

Yeah, so, the summary is we would have to travel 849 extra miles? And I'm assuming that guy thinks that doubling the travel also means doubling the cost? Riding an extra 200 miles one weekend on a bus is nothing. Budget wouldn't go through the roof. If it would...we wouldn't be considering it.

The majority of our games would still be regional like they are now. We travel out of state for a game almost every year anyway, now we may actually have a BETTER chance of traveling less for OOC games being able to schedule the likes of NWST, McNeese, SLU, etc if we wanted to. While still being able to get a $$$ game in to combat budget costs, and perhaps get more $ from these games if we're attached to a better conference?
I agree with you on your main point, but this is the travel cost argument all the supporters have put up - it won't be bad because we'll have a Texas region that cuts down on travel.

That argument is only about one sport - football. Honestly I couldn't care less about football travel costs. They play so few games. Basketball isn't regional. Volleyball. Soccer. Baseball. 6 other Texas teams isn't going to cut it. They all have meaningful seasons where they can't play bus ride trips in the WAC. We are talking about becoming a flying sports program.

I'm not against the move, but let's at least be honest that it's going to be a significant step up in budget.
cboothe09
Looks like it is time to reach out to Frontier and see if they have any jets they are getting ready to retire. A quick trip to Sherwin Williams to get rid of that yellow paint and yes indeed, we are ready for the WAC...
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth said:

PurpleOut said:

Yeah, so, the summary is we would have to travel 849 extra miles? And I'm assuming that guy thinks that doubling the travel also means doubling the cost? Riding an extra 200 miles one weekend on a bus is nothing. Budget wouldn't go through the roof. If it would...we wouldn't be considering it.

The majority of our games would still be regional like they are now. We travel out of state for a game almost every year anyway, now we may actually have a BETTER chance of traveling less for OOC games being able to schedule the likes of NWST, McNeese, SLU, etc if we wanted to. While still being able to get a $$$ game in to combat budget costs, and perhaps get more $ from these games if we're attached to a better conference?
I agree with you on your main point, but this is the travel cost argument all the supporters have put up - it won't be bad because we'll have a Texas region that cuts down on travel.

That argument is only about one sport - football. Honestly I couldn't care less about football travel costs. They play so few games. Basketball isn't regional. Volleyball. Soccer. Baseball. 6 other Texas teams isn't going to cut it. They all have meaningful seasons where they can't play bus ride trips in the WAC. We are talking about becoming a flying sports program.

I'm not against the move, but let's at least be honest that it's going to be a significant step up in budget.
I agree that it will be intensified for travel. But for basketball for example, how much different will it be to make it extreme? We already fly out for most of our non-conference road games. Last year our closest non-conference road game was over 400 miles away (Arkansas State).

I understand it's still different for the other programs, but some of us are talking as if we're flying to California every weekend. The bottom line is it will increase travel budget, but not by an insane amount. Because again...if it was...then we wouldn't be looking at doing this.
nacluth
Maybe you're right. I will wait and see. But hey, I'll argue around on a forum until then.

My big fear is that we're cutting sports to do this. COVID cuts to prep for larger conference costs or something. We've had one of the most robust sports programs anywhere around, I just hope that we don't just become a money sports school.
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth said:

Maybe you're right. I will wait and see. But hey, I'll argue around on a forum until then.

My big fear is that we're cutting sports to do this. COVID cuts to prep for larger conference costs or something. We've had one of the most robust sports programs anywhere around, I just hope that we don't just become a money sports school.
I agree. I honestly don't think a move like this on the heels or STILL during COVID is a great idea.

But overall, we still don't really have enough info on the deal to make a good opinion either way. I always just like to argue both sides.
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

Looks like it is time to reach out to Frontier and see if they have any jets they are getting ready to retire. A quick trip to Sherwin Williams to get rid of that yellow paint and yes indeed, we are ready for the WAC...

I've got a paint sprayer.
cboothe09
There we go!

Anyone got a Cricut that we can get the logo printed out on? Just trying to help Ivey and crew...
SFAJack_76
ljax1979 said:

This is a great article and further explains why logistically a move to the WAC makes little sense for SFA. I'm not a fan of the Southland Conference but our travel budget would go through the roof once you factor in all of the other sports that would be a part of any conference move.
Implying you don't believe our leaders to fully understand all the details, including travel.
SFAXE93
They went out of business.

SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

Ya. I think it's pointless to argue most of this. I'm NOT a fan of flying volleyball across the western USA. Like purple, I believe our travel will largely (80%+) regional. SFA made the choice to play it "safe" years ago. Fast forward to 2012, the SLC decided to dig into the dumpster to find new members. Being the 30th ranked basketball conference and the 6th ranked FCS conference is not cool.
Exactly. We've tread water for the last ten years by staying in the SLC. I don't get the arguments that we should do the same for another five and see what happens. Definition of crazy. Doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results.
cboothe09
Gotta get the orange off the tail there, but I think you found us a winner
PurpleOut
Staff
cboothe09 said:

There we go!

Anyone got a Cricut that we can get the logo printed out on? Just trying to help Ivey and crew...
As of my wife's recent birthday...we have one.
BigJack85
cboothe09 said:

I would love to add Men's soccer. Not a lot of options in Texas and I think we could be very competitive very quickly...Not sure if we would have to add another Women's sport though to meet Title IX requirements

You are correct sir!!!
ljax1979
Implying facts SFAJack_76...it will cost more money to fly out to New Mexico State, Dixie State, etc. then it would be to drive to McNeese State and Northwestern State. No where did I imply that Ivey and his crew don't understand the finances behind this potential move. It's one thing to take a football team out of the region four times a year...it's a whole other thing to do it for 13 other teams multiple times throughout a season. We fly out for non-conference games for men's basketball because we essentially use part of the guaranteed money within the contract. Look at the non-conference schedules for soccer, volleyball and softball in the past. We typically stay around the area since that is more financially prudent for non-revenue sports.
TallTexan
Here's an article detailing Western Washingtons' costs for travel.

Best I could find.

https://www.westernfrontonline.com/2018/08/01/athletics-travel-budget-still-a-costly-game/
BigJack85
Really good article. It would be nice to have the precise information on this, as it relates to SFA and the WAC. Just a guess , we are spending $300k on travel. Our guarantees probably cover most of that.

Going to the WAC I'd count on that doubling, maybe more. Say $750k. My guess is that our guarantee games more than cover that. Or at least the vast majority of it. We receive almost ZERO media rights distribution. The WAC probably has some sort of media rights distribution. That would offset the balance.
BigJack85
Lamar AD says they are "keeping every avenue open". Sounds like a trip to the WAC to me.
BigJack85
BOR meeting 12/17/2020. No agenda listed. Hmmmm
PurpleOut
Staff
Looks like this is a go.

cboothe09
Baseball is the sport I am most concerned about with this move. Not competitively. Heck, the WAC is probably a better fit for us...

I am most concerned about our facilities. I really think they need to buy out the city and take over the entire complex and make the needed improvements (Parking, Locker Rooms, Public Spaces). If not that, then something...
nacluth
Last year there were talks about expansion out there between the city and SFA. I don't know where it currently stands or if it ever came to anything.
ljax1979
cboothe09
I could live with expansion, as long as we can get our stuff off to the side to where it at least resembles a separate facility...

I remember working at those baseball games, and Saturday's were the worst...No lights meant day games and fighting little league moms for parking spots...
PurpleOut
Staff
While we'd all obviously rather have on-campus facilities for BA/SB, I think staying at the current spot and expanding is the best or maybe the easiest option. I've been discussing that idea for a long time, because there is a lot of room for facilities when you remove the little league fields.
CertifiedAxeman98
I am interested to see if the WAC comes up with another school that currently sponsors FCS football to make it 8 teams with 6 eligible. Here is a link showing that Dixie and Tarleton wont be full members until 24/25 seasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_schools_reclassifying_their_athletic_programs_to_NCAA_Division_I#:~:text=This%20is%20limited%20to%20schools%20that%20have%20officially%20announced%20plans,required%20for%20the%20reverse%20move.

That is too long to wait and why I expect the WAC to find another school to they can get the auto bid in 21/22.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

While we'd all obviously rather have on-campus facilities for BA/SB, I think staying at the current spot and expanding is the best or maybe the easiest option. I've been discussing that idea for a long time, because there is a lot of room for facilities when you remove the little league fields.

Could move track out there eventually too if we ever renovate WRJ.
TallTexan
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

I am interested to see if the WAC comes up with another school that currently sponsors FCS football to make it 8 teams with 6 eligible. Here is a link showing that Dixie and Tarleton wont be full members until 24/25 seasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_schools_reclassifying_their_athletic_programs_to_NCAA_Division_I#:~:text=This%20is%20limited%20to%20schools%20that%20have%20officially%20announced%20plans,required%20for%20the%20reverse%20move.

That is too long to wait and why I expect the WAC to find another school to they can get the auto bid in 21/22.

Ya I don't expect them to wait around. Names I've heard mentioned are UC Davis, Weber State, and NAU but nothing official. Just teams in the area.

Additionally, PVAMU or TSU could always be viable options.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

Um .... what?
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Ya I don't expect them to wait around. Names I've heard mentioned are UC Davis, Weber State, and NAU but nothing official. Just teams in the area.

I read a report from a TV station in Salt Lake City saying that Weber is a NO GO Sacramento St NO GO. U of Northern Colorado maybe.
BigJack85
I think baseball will continue to suffer unless Hunter Dozier signs a 3 year $50 million contract or a major donor is willing to pony up a few million green backs Till that happens I think we are best to focus on basketball and improving Homer Bryce.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

Um .... what?

Lol. First we're going to move the track to WRJ, then use that as an excuse to renovate.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

CertifiedAxeman98 said:

I read a report from a TV station in Salt Lake City saying that Weber is a NO GO Sacramento St NO GO. U of Northern Colorado maybe.

Another Texas school would cut down travel a ton.

I don't know much about N Colorado, just that every single Big Sky fan has suggested we take them so I'm thinking no go.

NAU would be really nice. Flagstaff is awesome.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.