Which conference would you move to?

61,859 Views | 416 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

CertifiedAxeman98 said:

I am interested to see if the WAC comes up with another school that currently sponsors FCS football to make it 8 teams with 6 eligible. Here is a link showing that Dixie and Tarleton wont be full members until 24/25 seasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_schools_reclassifying_their_athletic_programs_to_NCAA_Division_I#:~:text=This%20is%20limited%20to%20schools%20that%20have%20officially%20announced%20plans,required%20for%20the%20reverse%20move.

That is too long to wait and why I expect the WAC to find another school to they can get the auto bid in 21/22.

Ya I don't expect them to wait around. Names I've heard mentioned are UC Davis, Weber State, and NAU but nothing official. Just teams in the area.

Additionally, PVAMU or TSU could always be viable options.

I read a report from a TV station in Salt Lake City saying that Weber is a NO GO Sacramento St NO GO. U of Northern Colorado maybe.

Another Texas school would cut down travel a ton.

I don't know much about N Colorado, just that every single Big Sky fan has suggested we take them so I'm thinking no go.

NAU would be really nice. Flagstaff is awesome.

Ya. Northern Colorado is nothing special in football. But.... they have a fine baseball program and won a NCAA Div1 CWS in the 50's , I believe. The SLC has 3 strong baseball programs (Sam, Lamar and SLU). 2 out of 3 ain't bad. You would have 3 (typically top 50) programs.
SFASawmillGuy
If the "Battle of the Lumberjacks" became a yearly rivalry think of the circus surrounding it.
Think of it. The Lumberjacks from a literal Forrest of giant pine trees, and the Lumberjacks who play in a state where I'm pretty sure trees are illegal.
"Battle of the Axe"
"The Flannel Fight"
BigJack85
SFA_03 said:

If the "Battle of the Lumberjacks" became a yearly rivalry think of the circus surrounding it.
Think of it. The Lumberjacks from a literal Forrest of giant pine trees, and the Lumberjacks who play in a state where I'm pretty sure trees are illegal.
"Battle of the Axe"
"The Flannel Fight"

Exceptional. Exceptional.
SFAJack_76
SFA_03 said:

"Battle of the Axe"
"The Flannel Fight"

There are six national forests in Arizona. NAU has a very good school of forestry.
SFASawmillGuy
I refute your evidence with my Axe.
SFAJack_76
SFA_03 said:

I refute your evidence with my Axe.
And, I accept that. (Some years back, I worked with a forestry grad from NAU. He schooled me on the fact there are trees in Arizona.)
TallTexan
To be fair, from what you can see from the road, some of these national forests look look like they're made of the equivalent of Mesquite trees.

But the ones between Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon are pretty mind-blowing.

Or perhaps it was a desert mirage.
PurpleOut
Staff
BigJack85 said:

I think baseball will continue to suffer unless Hunter Dozier signs a 3 year $50 million contract or a major donor is willing to pony up a few million green backs Till that happens I think we are best to focus on basketball and improving Homer Bryce.
Dozier signed a one-year deal with a guaranteed $2.7M (plus incentives) the other day.
PurpleOut
Staff
New article this morning: The latest on the Return Of The WAC, Boise State-MWC context and more - Extra Points with Matt Brown (substack.com)

PurpleOut
Staff
Quote:

I'll be interested to hear exactly how the schools explain their reasoning for leaving the Southland, but the rationale I've heard from multiple sources is that there's a tension between the four departing Texas schools, and the remaining Texas institutions (Incarnate Word and Houston Baptist) and the Louisiana programs, mostly over financial investment in athletics. The ability to pay for additional facility improvements, staffing upgrades and other athletic department investments does not appear to be uniform across the Southland right now, and that gulf may only get wider over the next few years.
I think this is pretty clear.

We're not building a new $26M Hoops facility to hang out with Nicholls State (nothing personal against them).
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

Quote:

I'll be interested to hear exactly how the schools explain their reasoning for leaving the Southland, but the rationale I've heard from multiple sources is that there's a tension between the four departing Texas schools, and the remaining Texas institutions (Incarnate Word and Houston Baptist) and the Louisiana programs, mostly over financial investment in athletics. The ability to pay for additional facility improvements, staffing upgrades and other athletic department investments does not appear to be uniform across the Southland right now, and that gulf may only get wider over the next few years.
I think this is pretty clear.

We're not building a new $26M Hoops facility to hang out with Nicholls State (nothing personal against them).

True Dat. Pretty clear the direction. The move should give us a little more visibility.
cboothe09
Katfans went on a nice run about this earlier today...

HBU never addressed basketball/football. UIW did upgrades, but not enough to keep pace. UNO never really explored football (Which absolutely blows my mind. They are in a recruiting hotbed.) Nicholls couldn't fund postseason play.

Of all the teams we are leaving, I truly feel for McNeese. They put the money into their programs. They were a marquee team in football and baseball. Basketball is starting to show promise. They have the unfortunate circumstance of being located about 1 hour too far east...

Do I like being in a west coast conference? Not particularly. Does this move help us both short term and long term? Absolutely. Might not love the move, but I understand it and see there is no reason to say no.
TallTexan
Might bea blessing in disguise for McNeese. Their football team will continue to win and they can have a good shot at the autobid without having to add 8 million to keep up with SFA/Sam.
BigJack85
cboothe09 said:

Katfans went on a nice run about this earlier today...

HBU never addressed basketball/football. UIW did upgrades, but not enough to keep pace. UNO never really explored football (Which absolutely blows my mind. They are in a recruiting hotbed.) Nicholls couldn't fund postseason play.

Of all the teams we are leaving, I truly feel for McNeese. They put the money into their programs. They were a marquee team in football and baseball. Basketball is starting to show promise. They have the unfortunate circumstance of being located about 1 hour too far east...

Do I like being in a west coast conference? Not particularly. Does this move help us both short term and long term? Absolutely. Might not love the move, but I understand it and see there is no reason to say no.

I really see this more as a SouthWEST Conference LOL.
TallTexan
I've been looking at the SEC vs other power 5 conferences lately and something struck me. The SEC has a goal of being the best football conference in the land. And mission accomplished right?

But this is somewhat new. The Big 12 had an incredibly strong decade run until Nebraska and A&M torpedoed it.

Here's what I noticed. The SEC has all 14 teams pulling in the same direction towards that goal.

Tangible efforts:
Controlling bowl selections to ensure winnable matchups
Scheduling to maximize number of bowl slots with one less conference game & a mid November tune up game.

Intangible efforts:
Talking each other up as coaches
Preemptively setting the narrative
Marketing

Now the WAC obviously wouldn't have the resources they have but I see a few areas where we can improve over the Southland:

Areas:
Conference challenge for basketball

Scheduling officer( we know mid majors scheduling sucks, part of the leagues goal should be to get as many good games as possible and winnable across all sports).

Marketing director( I don't really care for a conferences social media team, the schools handle that well enough on their own, just RT/share). But the conference should have someone dedicated to contacting media outlets to pitch pieces, offer availability, schedule radio interviews across the entire region, etc. You'd be surprised how often being friendly and proactive can get you noticed, even on big stations like Austin.

Conference standards: For spending/facilities minimums, for broadcast quality(streaming is the future for conferences our size and nobody is gonna watch an SFA NMSU game that looks like it was filmed on an iphone in an earthquake), for academic achievement among athletes, etc.

Strategy consultants: a shared cost resource to help schools with everything from negotiating NLI landscape to building strong attendance for sporting events.

Basically, I want a conference committed to innovating & becoming the best mid major conference out there. The SEC does a lot of top down planning to hit their goals. We should take a page out of their book and get everyone pulling in the same direction from the start.
TallTexan
If you want to see the success of that goal, take a gander at what Ole Miss and Miss State, the least wealthy programs pull down before TV money. It's about 60 million per year.

Zona,Utah, Texas Tech all make less than that. The SEC has taken lemons and made lemonade.

There's certainly the potential for that in a mid major conference. A good conference should provide synergy, a multiplier effect on a schools efforts. Let's build that.
djsfw57
SFA_03 said:

"Battle of the Axe"
"The Flannel Fight"

Flagstaff is not like the rest of the state. They have much cooler temps, tons of snow in the winter, and forests. Doesn't really fit in with Arizona at all, IMO.
SFA, Class of 1979
SFAJack_76
Compare and contrast.

https://wacsports.com/information/directory/index

https://www.southland.org/staff.aspx
PurpleOut
Staff
Here is a better list of the Southland staff.
nacluth
I just got rickrolled.
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

Here is a better list of the Southland staff.

Hahahaha. Almost fell out of my chair.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

Compare and contrast.

https://wacsports.com/information/directory/index

https://www.southland.org/staff.aspx

If the point you're making is that the WAC puts a lot more focus on officiating, then you MADE IT. Wow. I had no idea how little the SLC does in the officiating realm. Hmmmmm
TallTexan
Well played.
TallTexan
WAC seems to have a lot more strategic roles.

Southland has a purchasing director, because someone has to handle the conferences accounts payable.

Ironically enough, the Lamar AD's dad works at the Southland. Christmas is gonna be awkward.
BigJack85
Ryan Ivey statement to KLTV

"We are continually looking at ways to improve the Athletics department at SFA. Part of that is being in the right conference association. Our vision is to become the leading mid-major athletics department in the nation, and positioning ourselves in a conference of like minded peers is essential to achieving that vision. Whether that's the Southland or any other league affiliation."

BigJack85
I've got a translation of that statement: We are waiting for the BOR to approve our move to the WAC for the fall of 2021.
SFASawmillGuy
This is essentially a confirmation. The Southland belongs to McNeese now.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Interesting to see the SLC mapped.
nacluth
Starting to look like the Hurricane conference or Gulf Coast Conference.
BigJack85
The "Tidal Conference". The "Hurricane House". The "Coastal Club". I could go on.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

I've got a translation of that statement: We are waiting for the BOR to approve our move to the WAC for the fall of 2021.
I don't think it is quite there, but the special called meeting on December 17, could provide some clarity. The agenda has not been posted yet.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

I don't think it is quite there, but the special called meeting on December 17, could provide some clarity. The agenda has not been posted yet.

At this point it is just formality. IMHO. You don't call a board meeting to debate the merits of this move. It's already been run through.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

At this point it is just formality. IMHO. You don't call a board meeting to debate the merits of this move. It's already been run through.
I don't believe it is a done deal, but we shall see.
TallTexan
So far no regents meeting for Texas State System and it wasn't on last week's agenda.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.