Which conference would you move to?

61,153 Views | 416 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
TheRevSFA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Let's face it: the southland has no aspirations for improvement. If they did, they'd have taken Tarleton and commerce over UIW and HBU.

I don't look at what the WAC is now, but their leadership has aspirations for growth. Do we risk being part of growth that could reap rewards, or do we maintain the status quo?
SFASawmillGuy
Like I said. If we go. It's a gamble that will either pay off in a monumentally massive way for the conference, or we're essentially in Southland 2.0 with an insane travel budget attached.
But regardless I don't see us staying in the SLC of Ryan stays the AD.
SFAJack_76
TheRevSFA said:

Let's face it: the southland has no aspirations for improvement. If they did, they'd have taken Tarleton and commerce over UIW and HBU.

I don't look at what the WAC is now, but their leadership has aspirations for growth. Do we risk being part of growth that could reap rewards, or do we maintain the status quo?
Agree.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

SFAJack_76 said:

PurpleOut said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Not in agreement that the WAC would be a lateral move. The three years prior to last, WAC MBB had an RPI of 15, 16, and 17. Out of 32, and dramatically better than the SLC stuck at 30. Put the mentioned SLC schools in the mix, and it gets even better. NM State is solid. GCU is improving under Bryce Drew, who was very successful at Valpo. Tarleton could be legit with Gillispie as coach. Who in the SLC is getting better? Why can't the WAC get to being a multi bid league?
And two years prior they were 31st (behind the SLC). Regardless of that year, even in their best years as a conference...their best team (NMSU) could only get a 12-seed. Being an average to below average RPI conference will rarely be in the conversation for an auto-bid.
Upside potential with the WAC vs upside potential with the SLC. No contest.
What makes it no contest for you? Not arguing just curious of your reasoning.

We'd have to invest more...to potentially have a tougher route...to potentially achieve the same result.

And that's just for hoops. We'd have to invest a ton more to get our other programs to travel to California, Seattle, etc on a continuous basis.
Potential. The SLC is what the SLC is going to be. Conference leadership gets well deserved criticism, however a significant amount of the membership will never be more than they are. What more can we really accomplish spending another five years or more in this conference? Definition of crazy?

Is there risk in changing conferences? Of course. There would be some increase in costs, although I don't think travel costs go up a ton with divisions in all sports except football, and m/w BB. I also have to believe there is an increase in revenues. If the WAC has a growth vision, and Texas is a meaningful part of that vision, the potential upside is strong. If we are going to achieve our goals, we have to have tougher routes. We have to have tougher competition.

Ivey and his team have a vision for the athletic department. Dr. Gordon has a growth vision for the University that is supported by the athletic vision. My opinion is that we can't keep doing the same thing for another five years, expecting different results, and achieve the growth goals. Change is scary. Or, it can be exciting.
SFAJack_76
Isn't it great that we are even having this conversation? SFA with the potential to be even more of a nationally recognized university. I don't know where we are going. I'm just pleased we are talking about going.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Isn't it great that we are even having this conversation? SFA with the potential to be even more of a nationally recognized university. I don't know where we are going. I'm just pleased we are talking about going.

This I definitely agree on. And you're right on the SLC leadership too. I would trade commissioners with the WAC in a heartbeat.
sfa17
SFAJack_76 said:

Yeah, Great topic and conversation. Juicy drama
PurpleOut
Staff
Are we sure the WAC is run that much better? They may have visions for growth, but they've had a rough go at most aspects for a while. And, I think it's worth noting that most people on that NMSU board think their conference is run like we think the Southland is run. Doesn't make me excited to read that.
BigJack85
Ya. The grass is always greener on the other side.
TallTexan
Atleast one small advantage is the threat of poaching might cause a more proactive Southland conference for a few months.
SFASawmillGuy
Interesting thing about UTRGV, they have been in talks to build a football team for some time and with their new Athletic Director, a familiar name in Chasse Conque, they could also be a name in football. Maybe with the familial ties Chasse has, we could find ourselves once again on the opposite sideline of a familiar face....
TallTexan
Didn't realize he'd moved jobs.
TallTexan
cboothe09
Damnit...This is really going to happen, isn't it?
BigJack85
I don't think so. Just posturing.
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

Damnit...This is really going to happen, isn't it?

WAC folks on twitter have a hard time understanding that this is bad for SFA and NMSU.

Like I don't really want to be left in a shell of the SLC, but there are worse things than taking advantage of it for 5 straight trips to March to the real stage.
SFASawmillGuy
I see potential positives. But that's all they are is potential.
Tons of unknowns. If we do this it will either work out in a massive way for us and we will be in this big new mid major conference with a nice new FBS football teams to bring in a helluva lot of money....or we will be paying a massive amount of money on travel and essentially be in the same boat.
PurpleOut
Staff
Would be ready for a move right now for a better conference than the WAC? I'm not sure if we've asked ourselves that yet. Do we have the money, facilities, fan base, etc for a bigger move? I think it's obvious everyone wants out of the SLC, but I think it needs to make sense at every level and aspect to make the jump.

I wonder if we can look at what Texas State did. Could we move to the WAC and immediately look to bolt a year (or 2) after? I'm not for a move to the WAC, but if you told me it was a temporary move for less than 3 years and that we would be in a bigger SunBelt or CUSA afterwards...I'm interested.

BigJack85
I read a couple of things on Twitter that lead me to believe that this is a play for FBS football. But again I wonder , Southern Utah? FBS? New Mexico State is already FBS. Add ACU, Lamar, Sam, SFA and Tarleton and you have a 6 team FBS conference. Errrrrrrr maybe.
TallTexan
SFA, Sam, &Tarleton wouldn't be the smallest public FBS schools out there.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Would be ready for a move right now for a better conference than the WAC? I'm not sure if we've asked ourselves that yet. Do we have the money, facilities, fan base, etc for a bigger move? I think it's obvious everyone wants out of the SLC, but I think it needs to make sense at every level and aspect to make the jump.

I wonder if we can look at what Texas State did. Could we move to the WAC and immediately look to bolt a year (or 2) after? I'm not for a move to the WAC, but if you told me it was a temporary move for less than 3 years and that we would be in a bigger SunBelt or CUSA afterwards...I'm interested.

It'd definitely seem temporary. I'm fine with it as a stepping stone if we think it gives us a better shot at a better invite.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Not by a mile. Not really worried about that so much. I believe that the big need is updating Homer Bryce. WRJ is already a top tier environment. Volleyball gets an A+. Tennis is fine. Soccer is close. If Ivey or Gordon can get some kind of major gift (along with small private gifts) we could put $10 million into the field house and get it close to standard.
SFASawmillGuy
I'm still trying to win the power ball. Once I win that the Lumberjack Dome, along with the baseball field with a retractable roof and 5 perfect clones of Thomas Walkup will be on campus.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

And yeah no, we wouldn't be the smallest. But our facilities do need a massive facelift. I know we've talked countless times on how to improve Homer Bryce stadium but I wonder if it would be easier or cheaper to just build a new football stadium?
BigJack85
From my recollection the first part of that question is where would we build it ? Then you have the $10 million cost just to develop the land (power/utilities/easements/lawyers). You get the point. You're probably $10-$15 million in before much concrete is poured... Developing Homer Bryce might be the ONLY economic option. Short of a major donor coming forward.
SFAJack_76
WAC related.
TallTexan
Hearing UCA is also looking at a jump to somewhere else. This conference is likely done.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Hearing UCA is also looking at a jump to somewhere else. This conference is likely done.
Interesting ... where might they be looking?
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

Interesting ... where might they be looking?

OHV and WAC. They seem to realize that the situation is untenable to stay with only the HBU, IUW, and the Louisiana schools.
TallTexan
Idk how that face emoji got on there but I can't change it.

Gotta say, a basketball league tournament in who knows where is gonna suck for Jacks fans who are used to having home court advantage in Katy.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I'm confused about all of this conference monopoly game talk. How much of it is pure conjecture and how much is based on actual knowledge of what's happening behind the scenes? Seems to me to be the former.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I'm confused about all of this conference monopoly game talk. How much of it is pure conjecture and how much is based on actual knowledge of what's happening behind the scenes? Seems to me to be the former.
. Fanatic , There are a couple of articles related to the specific subject of the WAC building a football position. Not clear the precise direction FCS or FBS. The WAC Holds a golden ticket in the form of a waiver to grandfather schools joining the WAC allowing an easier path to FBS. I personally think much of this is the a reaction to the incredibly weak decision to add HBU and UIW
BigJack85
I also thought was conjecture until the "freedom of information request" was rejected. That only happens when your talking about something that you don't want anyone to know about. Probably because of the moving parts. I also believe one of the starting points is finding a legal way to punt Chicago State (probably a combination of commitment level and unpaid conference fees).
nacluth
I would say most legal departments everywhere are reluctant to acquiesce to FOIA requests. I wouldn't read too much into that portion of the story.
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

. Fanatic , There are a couple of articles related to the specific subject of the WAC building a football position. Not clear the precise direction FCS or FBS. The WAC Holds a golden ticket in the form of a waiver to grandfather schools joining the WAC allowing an easier path to FBS. I personally think much of this is the a reaction to the incredibly weak decision to add HBU and UIW

Thanks, 85. I was aware of most of that. But IMO, anyone thinking we will EVER become an FBS school is peeing into the wind.

BTW, adding UIW and HBU to the conference was the worst decision the SLC has made since the league was formed. I initially felt the same way about ACU but they have more than proven their worth.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.