Which conference would you move to?

61,786 Views | 416 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BigJack85 said:

When the AD at NWST weighs in over Twitter about Southland Conference departures, you know that something is happening.
What did he say?
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

When the AD at NWST weighs in over Twitter about Southland Conference departures, you know that something is happening.
What did he say?

He weighed in on Northwestern State's attendance figures relative to SLC powers Sam , SFA and Lamar. I might be reading something into it , but I also thought it was odd that he would weigh on a thread of tweets about the demise of the SLC.
TallTexan
SFASawmillGuy
So it begins.
cboothe09
I just want to see the plan. I trust Ivey, but I really want to know how this is going to work.
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

I just want to see the plan. I trust Ivey, but I really want to know how this is going to work.

Same. What's the strategery here other than dumping the Louisiana schools?
Pilotgirl
BigJack85
Trust. Trust the plan.
SFAJack_76
cboothe09 said:

Curious what you mean by "the plan." Financial, organizational, logistical, promotional, etc?
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Trust. Trust the plan.
I will. I just need to hear it first.
CertifiedAxeman98
TallTexan said:

its going to be a long 2 weeks. but will be a nice Christmas present.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

cboothe09 said:

Curious what you mean by "the plan." Financial, organizational, logistical, promotional, etc?
To me?

I want to see what makes this a better option than the SLC, other than the slight advantage of ditching a few bad schools. How do we get to a multi-bid league, whether the WAC or future.

Are there any minimum budget requirements for the WAC to make everyone competitive? Any strategic plans for Conference challenges? How will we get a true tv deal? Is Chicago State or Seattle leaving? What are the future football plans for the conference, is FBS in the future?
nacluth
Is NM State going to play FCS?

On a side note, I drove through Las Cruces this summer. I thought it was a surprisingly beautiful town. I could see why someone would want to go to school there.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

cboothe09 said:

To me?

I want to see what makes this a better option than the SLC, other than the slight advantage of ditching a few bad schools. How do we get to a multi-bid league, whether the WAC or future.

Are there any minimum budget requirements for the WAC to make everyone competitive? Any strategic plans for Conference challenges? How will we get a true tv deal? Is Chicago State or Seattle leaving? What are the future football plans for the conference, is FBS in the future?

I think those questions will be answered pretty quick The way it works, IF it works, has to do with the divisional alignment. It's been tried before, studied , etc. At least we won't be a guinea pig. Maybe the kinks have been worked out.

Financial. I have no idea but one thing is for sure, it cannot be worse than zero, which is about what SLC media rights are worth.
SFASawmillGuy
BigJack85 said:

Financial. I have no idea but one thing is for sure, it cannot be worse than zero, which is about what SLC media rights are worth.

Exactly this. If there's anything we can have the most hope for, it will be that the WAC will be a better financial option for all schools involved. Better exposure and an actual desire to get the brand out there, as opposed to the SLC who appears to be content with a mediocre media team.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

On a side note, I drove through Las Cruces this summer. I thought it was a surprisingly beautiful town. I could see why someone would want to go to school there.
NM is an awesome state.

If I had to rank our US neighbors:
NM
Arkansas
LA

BIG GAP:
OK
SFASawmillGuy
I honestly wouldn't mind a trip to NM every other year. Get to watch football in great stadium and then enjoy the mountains.
TallTexan
Let's see, we need 11 games for an FCS conference typically?

What's that look like?

1 Buy game:
D2 home game:
NMSU game
6 game conference schedule
NSU game
Additional FCS game
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

I doubt that NM State goes FCS.
CertifiedAxeman98
SFAJack_76 said:

nacluth said:

No way that NM state goes FCS. I expect to see them leave for a bigger conference in a couple of years when the Big 12 and some other conference TV deals get redone and musical chairs begin.
BigJack85
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

nacluth said:

No way that NM state goes FCS. I expect to see them leave for a bigger conference in a couple of years when the Big 12 and some other conference TV deals get redone and musical chairs begin.

I would have said the same thing last year. The knight report may nudge college athletics towards football realignment. It may pay for New Mexico St to have friends in Texas.
cboothe09
Financial and logistical are the biggest that I want to know. I'm all for expending our horizons, but I don't want eyes bigger than our stomachs. This may be a FCS conference, but it is spread out. Football isn't the sport that scares me in this scenario. It is the non-revenue sports that currently don't cost much. Add in trips to Southern Utah or Grand Canyon and things start adding up QUICK.

Promotional I think this will stand on its own well. NMSU is the crown jewel, and GCU has build a brand (Overrated but a known brand). Add in SFA and ACU and there is opportunity for a stronger perceived conference.
TallTexan
nacluth
Well that makes it look like it's less in the bag than Matt Brown hopes.
TallTexan
SFASawmillGuy
I find it odd that D2 schools moving up are ineligible for the postseason. I feel like it should be FBS moving down to FCS that would be ineligible due to the talent gap, not the other way around.
TallTexan
Ya it's kinda a dumb rule.
KirkHeath12
https://sportsenthusiasts.net/2020/10/23/wacs-southland-conference-overtures-make-little-sense-for-the-schools/
Class of 2012
Axe Em
BigJack85
KirkHeath12 said:

https://sportsenthusiasts.net/2020/10/23/wacs-southland-conference-overtures-make-little-sense-for-the-schools/

Read that article. Kind of one dimensional... travel.
ljax1979
This is a great article and further explains why logistically a move to the WAC makes little sense for SFA. I'm not a fan of the Southland Conference but our travel budget would go through the roof once you factor in all of the other sports that would be a part of any conference move.
PurpleOut
Staff
BigJack85 said:

KirkHeath12 said:

Read that article. Kind of one dimensional... travel.
Yeah, so, the summary is we would have to travel 849 extra miles? And I'm assuming that guy thinks that doubling the travel also means doubling the cost? Riding an extra 200 miles one weekend on a bus is nothing. Budget wouldn't go through the roof. If it would...we wouldn't be considering it.

The majority of our games would still be regional like they are now. We travel out of state for a game almost every year anyway, now we may actually have a BETTER chance of traveling less for OOC games being able to schedule the likes of NWST, McNeese, SLU, etc if we wanted to. While still being able to get a $$$ game in to combat budget costs, and perhaps get more $ from these games if we're attached to a better conference?
ljax1979
This move affects 13 other sports (combining track and field and cross country as I assume the men and women would travel together). Right now those teams bus to every conference game/event . Under the current proposal, those teams would be getting on a plane a ton to travel to Arizona, California, Illinois, New Mexico, Utah and Washington for conference games.
BigJack85
Ya. I think it's pointless to argue most of this. I'm NOT a fan of flying volleyball across the western USA. Like purple, I believe our travel will largely (80%+) regional. SFA made the choice to play it "safe" years ago. Fast forward to 2012, the SLC decided to dig into the dumpster to find new members. Being the 30th ranked basketball conference and the 6th ranked FCS conference is not cool.
TallTexan
Travel is going to suck.

What about our championship bowling team?

And does this mean we could get men's soccer?
nacluth
No way bowling leaves the Southland. There's just too few bowling conferences and the SLC is still the top rated.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.