Which conference would you move to?

61,787 Views | 416 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TallTexan said:

So far no regents meeting for Texas State System and it wasn't on last week's agenda.

It could go sideways. There may be options that we don't know about. I think there are some certainties.

1). The wheels are in motion for change at the conference level. Whether it's The WAC , A Sun , a remodeled SLC. I just don't see us letting the SWAC pass us by. They (SWAC) just expanded VERY strategically I don't think the SWAC expansion will amount to HUGE gains but it will move them forward.

2). The Southland is weak and frail. I don't think ANYONE on this board would say that the association with the SLC has helped us much in the past 8-10 years. In the 90's and early 2000's it was a solid FCS conference. Respected in the FCS ranks. No more. We are 5th at best. Behind the MVC, Big Sky, CAA and Southern. Regarding MBB . A 12 seed is an absolute rarity. We need a more robust conference association. I hope the BOR makes the move. I am certain ACU is going. We should move regardless a positive decision by Lamar or Sam.
TallTexan
IIRC, isn't UCA currently talking to two conferences?
BigJack85
Beaumont Enterprise has a good story on the WACy situation. Probably as close to the real evaluation being made by the AD's and Presidents I've seen. With this many publications talking about it there must be something serious in the works.
cboothe09
Kind of...They are looking into the A-Sun...Since the A-Sun doesn't sponsor football, all A-Sun members that have football, play in the Big South
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

Kind of...They are looking into the A-Sun...Since the A-Sun doesn't sponsor football, all A-Sun members that have football, play in the Big South
I kinda figured that they were a natural fit for OHV.

I get leaving the southland though.
SFAJack_76
Agenda posted. Agenda item 5?

http://www.sfasu.edu/docs/board-regents/bor-agenda-12.17.2020.pdf

http://www.sfasu.edu/docs/board-regents/bor-report-12.17.2020.pdf
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

Item 5: Vote to give the University President the authority to enter into an agreement with the Western Athletic Conference, to join effective July 1, 2021.
nacluth
Either that or some censure for screwing up the swatting incident where we had to settle a lawsuit against the college because of a bad tweet.

Hopefully it's your option.
BigJack85
I can't say much about "swatting" incident but, shortly after SFA layer out there side of events (behind closed doors) the Houston attorney seemed to shade his own story a bit. Then it was off the air in a flash. I don't doubt there is some legal repercussions but it sure seemed like it would be "nothing earth shattering". Then again most of us wouldn't mind having a $20k check handed over.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Either that or some censure for screwing up the swatting incident where we had to settle a lawsuit against the college because of a bad tweet.

If it isn't true, then a number of reporters are off. The stakes aren't high enough for much "cloak and dagger" , at least that I can see.
SFAJack_76
Whether or not this is true, or has relevance.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Thinking 85 is pretty close.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

A couple of off-topic comments about two of the BOR agenda items:

1) The possible addition of an aviation training program sounds exciting. I wonder how/why that idea originated?

2) I wonder what the "real property" agenda item is all about? What and where??
CertifiedAxeman98
As this article spells out it is possible for the WAC to start as FCS and then move up to FBS. I am in favor of this approach. New Mexico State wants to stay FBS and is scheduled through 2025.

SFA moving to the WAC as FCS with the WAC moving up to FBS in 4-5 years would be ideal from my prospective.

It is also very possible that New Mexico State gets an offer from an FBS program in the next couple of years and leaves the WAC.

https://www.abqjournal.com/1525741/wac-reportedly-eyes-a-return-to-football.html
SFAJack_76
It would be a huge leap for the two existing, and five rumored, FCS programs to get to FBS in 4-5 years. Budgets, facilities, attendance, etc.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/AMA/Division%20I%20Forms/2010-11%20FBS%20Forms/Football%20Bowl%20Subqa%2012%208%2010.pdf
CertifiedAxeman98
Yep it is a high hurtle. Lots of alumni want to move to the Sunbelt which is already FBS. They wanted this when Texas State and others left the SLC and they want it now with news of the WAC expansion. That is not realistic at this point in time as I feel we would need more time to get ready for that kind of move up.

Even if it is 10+ years away, I believe it is something that should be evaluated to see if it makes since long-term for SFA in the WAC or another conference. There is a cost to move up but there are also more money generating opportunities when you move. In the WAC you will have 2 teams that just moved up to FCS so not sure they would be willing to move up again.

Sam looked at moving up to FBS back in 2011 or 2012 (can't remember) and concluded they should stay FCS. I read their report back then and it was not all financial why they stayed FCS as there are lots of things to consider. Not sure if they have updated their study since then.

We would need to get corporate sponsors to buy tickets so they can get to the 15K paid attendance mark.

Not sure about the grant requirement vs what we do now.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

We might as well all join the Lonestar and not travel if everyone is headed to the WAC.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

It would be a huge leap for the two existing, and five rumored, FCS programs to get to FBS in 4-5 years. Budgets, facilities, attendance, etc.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/AMA/Division%20I%20Forms/2010-11%20FBS%20Forms/Football%20Bowl%20Subqa%2012%208%2010.pdf

The WAC has a grandfather clause. The entry piece should not be as challenging as being competitive.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

We might as well all join the Lonestar and not travel if everyone is headed to the WAC.
Divisions. Split into two divisions, the travel for most sports can be very manageable. Basketball, men and women, and football could be the exception. The division the Texas four might be in would be largely (entirely?) in Texas.

Either, "horrible idea because travel expenses will be too high", or the conference make up and organization is such that travel costs are manageable. Can't be both.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

The WAC has a grandfather clause. The entry piece should not be as challenging as being competitive.
Are you saying the individual programs might not have to meet the FBS requirements because of the WAC FBS grandfather clause? Trying to understand.

Regardless, I still think FBS would be 5-10 years away. If ever.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Are you saying the individual programs might not have to meet the FBS requirements because of the WAC FBS grandfather clause? Trying to understand.

Regardless, I still think FBS would be 5-10 years away. If ever.

If the WAC has that, all the hype would make sense.
BigJack85
It might have been the Albuquerque Journal that mentioned a grandfather clause (some sort of waiver) negotiated when WAC football imploded. I do not recall the specific requirements that are waived. I'm thinking that the MAC may have had that sort of waiver. A number of MAC stadiums are under 30k. I think a few are under 25k. Not sure but I believe that is one of the angles that makes this move potentially attractive.
ljax1979
Interesting note in Matt Norlander's article on CBS today...

"The WAC is aggressively looking at expansion. Matt Brown of Extra Points was the first to report last week that the league is homing in on adding Abilene Christian, Lamar, Sam Houston State, Stephen F. Austin and Southern Utah. Sources indicated to CBS Sports the same intel, but one source said not all five schools will have all sports competing in the WAC. What's surprising about this is all of those teams with the exception of Southern Utah are currently Southland Conference members."
TallTexan
ljax1979 said:

"The WAC is aggressively looking at expansion. Matt Brown of Extra Points was the first to report last week that the league is homing in on adding Abilene Christian, Lamar, Sam Houston State, Stephen F. Austin and Southern Utah. Sources indicated to CBS Sports the same intel, but one source said not all five schools will have all sports competing in the WAC. What's surprising about this is all of those teams with the exception of Southern Utah are currently Southland Conference members."

Umm that's very vague but intriguing. I swear if he put that in there just to say that Beach Volleyball & Bowling will stay in SLC.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

ljax1979 said:

Umm that's very vague but intriguing. I swear if he put that in there just to say that Beach Volleyball & Bowling will stay in SLC.
No, it wasn't just bowling and beach volleyball.

Southern Utah has a gymnastics team.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

ljax1979 said:

No, it wasn't just bowling and beach volleyball.

Southern Utah has a gymnastics team.
Lol Touche.
BigJack85
Intrigue. Sounds a little A-SUN ish.
TallTexan
Board of regents is currently in executive session on the livestream. Will update if there's any news when they come back.
cboothe09
Completely forgot about this...I was planning on streaming it to my Management class
TallTexan
We're going to the WAC baby!
SFAJack_76
"There is a recommendation. The administration recommends acceptance of the invitation to join the Western athletic conference effective July 1st 2022. At the president be given authority to negotiate the final terms and conditions of the affiliation and sign the related conference affiliation agreements."
cboothe09
July 1, 2022 can't get here fast enough...
SFAJack_76
"All those in favor say aye and wave your hand. Any opposed same sign. Thank you very much. What we have next is an announcement of committee appointments. Appointing under section 9.5 in 9.6 the rules and regulations. Nominating committee. Scott Coleman is chair with that among along with Judy Olsen and Jennifer Winston. We have an advisory committee we will reactivate. With scott Coleman as the chair. Jennifer Winston Bob Garrett Henderson --"
Pilotgirl
2022, not 2021?
TallTexan
Regents are in unanimous agreement that a move to the WAC helps the entire university.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.