Which conference would you move to?

61,496 Views | 416 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TallTexan

CertifiedAxeman98
Thanks for posting this.

I was on the fence about the move to the WAC when I first heard about it but I am now on the train. Better basketball conference than the SLC and the possible future move to FBS were the main reasons I got on board with the move.
TallTexan
Per Matt Brown, the FBS move is a maybe for some schools but not all.

I'm betting the Texas schools and maybe RGV adding football.

Also any idea on who the unannounced schools are?
CertifiedAxeman98
TallTexan said:

yeah I saw that response. There will be a lot of movement in conferences when TV deals roll over the next several years. I like that there is an opportunity to move up to FBS in the future with the WAC. None of these 4 schools are ready to make the jump now.

I hope this means that these 4 schools have more say in the WAC.and its direction. I hope the WAC has a vision for growing the WAC brand. Seems like the SLC doesn't have a desire or funding to really push the conference forward as a brand or on the court/field. They would rather sit back and be walked on by the other conferences.
nacluth
So 5 Texas teams and 2 Utah teams. Sucks for Dixie State.
BigJack85
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

TallTexan said:

yeah I saw that response. There will be a lot of movement in conferences when TV deals roll over the next several years. I like that there is an opportunity to move up to FBS in the future with the WAC. None of these 4 schools are ready to make the jump now.

I hope this means that these 4 schools have more say in the WAC.and its direction. I hope the WAC has a vision for growing the WAC brand. Seems like the SLC doesn't have a desire or funding to really push the conference forward as a brand or on the court/field. They would rather sit back and be walked on by the other conferences.

Certified.

I think you are 100% correct. I'm not going to say that SFA and Sam are driving the bus but let's be real The #Texas4 have bigger budgets and more well rounded athletic programs that all but NMSU & maybe Cal Baptist. The move should quickly elevate Basketball and Baseball almost immediately.

The residual sports will also benefit. I see this as a win win win.
TallTexan
PurpleOut
Staff
Football?
BigJack85
Football for GCU? That would be AWESOME. It would instantly elevate the entire league. This would be really powerful news I also think it would make some sense to go to FBS in a few years, if indeed this is the case.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Football?

Beach Volleyball.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Football for GCU? That would be AWESOME. It would instantly elevate the entire league. This would be really powerful news I also think it would make some sense to go to FBS in a few years, if indeed this is the case.

If GCU, UVU, and RGV are on board as football schools, this FBS thing has legs.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

I doubt UVU jumps in. When I lived in Utah , UVU was almost entirely commuter. I don't think that's changed. The "residential" universities in Utah are Utah, BYU, USU and SUU. Maybe though.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

I doubt UVU jumps in. When I lived in Utah , UVU was almost entirely commuter. I don't think that's changed. The "residential" universities in Utah are Utah, BYU, USU and SUU. Maybe though.
True, didn't realize that UVU didn't even have dorms. Sam Houston is gonna be so jealous.

Gotta be one of the biggest schools in the country without a football team right?
TallTexan
In the footprint that we're looking at, Arizona & Colorado definitely have room for another G5 school based on population.

Would have to be the right Colorado team though. I think GCU would be a good fit given their basketball crowds.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

True, didn't realize that UVU didn't even have dorms. Sam Houston is gonna be so jealous.

Gotta be one of the biggest schools in the country without a football team right?

Not saying they have 0 dorms. I don't recall all the specifics but they are largely commuter
TallTexan
That's from their website. Legit no dorms.

A very interesting idea tbh. The local market provides it.
TallTexan

Broadcast on Wac Digital network.
TallTexan
Whoa. RGV football perhaps?

SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
Maybe play UTRGV football here at the new HEB Park in the valley.

BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

I sure would like our SFA Sawmill Twitter site post this stuff so that I don't have to go to katfans for information. Really weak.
TallTexan
WAC next season?

TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

When we redo Homer Bryce, I want some awnings.
PurpleOut
Staff
BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I sure would like our SFA Sawmill Twitter site post this stuff so that I don't have to go to katfans for information. Really weak.
Some people have jobs.

*Not speaking for the Sawmill Twitter account, just about the KatFans account.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

SFAXE93 said:

I'd be good with it. The games I went to at UW were louder with an average crowd compared to most bigger stadiums. Good for weather...better for noise.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Some people have jobs.

*Not speaking for the Sawmill Twitter account, just about the KatFans account.

Lol I was about to make the same joke. You know what they say, "Great minds.... dont go to Sam Houston"
cboothe09
With GCU being in attendance, is that another sign they are adding football and will be joining as a future member? No other current schools are expected to attend...
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

SFAXE93 said:

I'd be good with it. The games I went to at UW were louder with an average crowd compared to most bigger stadiums. Good for weather...better for noise.

I tried to tell people that UT should add them when they started talking about the south end zone project.

Great crowd advantage and would remove some of the worst of Nac weather.
SFAJack_76
nacluth
Yikes!
SFAJack_76
cboothe09 said:

With GCU being in attendance, is that another sign they are adding football and will be joining as a future member? No other current schools are expected to attend...
Perhaps, but the timing feels off to me. That would be a big announcement for GCU. Why would they want to couple that with the expansion announcement? Maybe they wanted one existing institution President to be there to offer welcome to the new institutions?
PurpleOut
Staff
Get me outta here.

PurpleOut
Staff

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.