2019-2020 Southland Basketball

64,100 Views | 322 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Pilotgirl
cboothe09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nacluth
Nicholls tops Sam. UCA which had 1(!) non conference win now has 3 SLC wins.
cboothe09
Abilene, UCA, and Nicholls all with statement wins. Looks like the trip to Conway coming up isn't what it looked like...
BigJack85
Abilene and Nicholls worry me. Central Arkansas does not.
PurpleOut
Staff
Sam was without three starters last night. A couple with the flu that will be back, Chad Bowie appears to be the only one actually injured from what I can see.
Pilotgirl
nacluth
Wow. Sucks for players like Koval who had tons of potential but will probably not realize it in their senior year. Their team is loaded with juniors.
PurpleOut
Staff
Props to McNeese. Even though they don't have the fan base for hoops, they've been doing a lot to try to change that. Meanwhile there's been very little from us like this.

SFASawmillGuy
The rumors of McNeese trying to join an FBS conference have been around for a while. Football wise they only need minor stadium tweaks and their facilities are there. Basketball wise they need a fan base to justify a conference taking them.
Us and Sam aren't the only SLC school trying to leave. Everyone is trying to make themselves look attractive enough to get that invite.
TallTexan
Problem for everyone in the SLC is that no one has the required football attendance numbers to make that jump.

We had been near the top but 2018 was a dropoff for obvious reasons.

If we can get to an average of 4-4500 fans for basketball & 14-15k for football, we are the team to make that jump. But it's gonna take serious work.

I know Sam's looked at it several times but they can never figure out how to get fans to show up.
sfa17
UCA beat Sam. UCA was at home. 82-89. Even though UCA is a horrible team statistically Kenpom 302, NET 382, 4-12. Any team can be dangerous
nacluth
UCA is all offense. If you can't slow them down, you can lose.
sfa17
nacluth said:

UCA is all offense. If you can't slow them down, you can lose.
yeah, its like a race to 80 plus unless you can stop them. Either they lose by 30 points or its a race to the finish line. No in-between with them
No-look
AMCC didn't look all that good today.
No-look
No-look said:

AMCC didn't look all that good today.
. 5-14 from three land. Lewis was 2-2. 40!9% from the floor.
nacluth
Incarnate Word's win over UNO gets everyone off the schneid in the SLC.
nacluth
Sam wins in OT. Nicholls loses. SFA and ACU still on the top seed track. Lots of games left.
cboothe09
Big game on Wednesday with Abilene going into Huntsville. Will learn a lot about both teams...
nacluth
cboothe09 said:

Big game on Wednesday with Abilene going into Huntsville. Will learn a lot about both teams...
Going into OT!!!
cboothe09
Horrible final possession by ACU to end regulation. Sam lucky to get away with that travel...
cboothe09
Southland's finest letting Sam get away with a blatant backcourt violation...
cboothe09
Sam wins. Get a little breathing room with the schedule picking up...

Southland refs are not good. Even in games outside of SFA...
No-look
I was keeping up with the ACU/ UCA game on ESPN app. UCA was up four with under a minute to go. When I checked back ACU won in OT. What happened? Lol
nacluth
UCA had a 3 point lead. Fouled Ricks on a desperation three with no time. He drained all three to make OT. ACU hit a last second layup to win.

Similar end in SELA/NWST game. Demons had the three point lead. SELA hit a three with 10 seconds to force OT and win.
No-look
nacluth said:

UCA had a 3 point lead. Fouled Ricks on a desperation three with no time. He drained all three to make OT. ACU hit a last second layup to win.

Similar end in SELA/NWST game. Demons had the three point lead. SELA hit a three with 10 seconds to force OT and win.
Wow!
cboothe09
Since we are the halfway point, I thought it would be fun to look at the remaining schedules for the contenders and see what we are working with. Then it got really interesting so I decided to make a spreadsheet of the full conference schedules for all teams. Maaann....I think the SLC has an amazing sense of humor.

- Someone pray for UIW. These dudes have to play 18 straight to end conference play with both byes done after the first two weeks of play.

- Corpus has played 11 in a row to start conference with two more games to go. The Islanders get a couple of byes 11 days apart, but end with 5 straight with three at home. Corpus has a favorable final stretch with two byes and five of their last seven at home.

- We are about to find out what ACU is made of. The Wildcats also have a stretch of 13 straight, theirs to end the season. Eight of those 13 are on the road.

- Nicholls has a pretty favorable finish to the conference slate. The Colonels are off tonight, and play nine straight to end conference play. Of those nine games, three are on the road (SFA, NWST, UCA).

- We are about to learn a lot about Sam. Six of their final nine are on the road (Two 3-game road trips). The only a lot of gimmes on those road trips with UIW, Nicholls, SLU, ACU, Corpus, and SFA on the docket.

- Pretty balanced finish for SFA ahead. Six of 10 at home with trips to Sam, Corpus, UIW, and ACU. SFA gets a break after traveling to Corpus (2-12), before ending the season with six in a row.
cboothe09
TallTexan
Good work!

I guess my question is why? That sounds like a whole heaping helping of bad schedules.
No-look
I'm thinking 16-4 or better will a team a double bye at Katy.
nacluth
Yes Houston Baptist beat Corpus.
BigJack85
Ya. I'm thinking 16-4 or better wins outright. We go 17-3 and it's ours.
SFAJack_76
Women's top eight are closing in on being set. Amazing how far Lamar has fallen.
nacluth
New Orleans is done for the year. Laying down to Nicholls.
CertifiedAxeman98
I know that UIW is done this season but its cold how ESPN is treating them as "Page not found."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/2916/incarnate-word-cardinals
CertifiedAxeman98
I was really hoping for a SAM win last night to make sure that TAMU-CC was out the tourney next week but they couldn't do it and have left the door open for TAMU-CC to be playing in Katy next week.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.