2019-2020 Southland Basketball

64,104 Views | 322 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Pilotgirl
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Guess I'll go ahead and start this thread to include off-season talk.

PurpleOut
Staff
This is an interesting one.

SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

This is an interesting one.

How so, Matt?
PurpleOut
Staff
Well, maybe not so interesting I guess compared to the others. But I liked him, just a sophomore and played well last year. Thought he could be really good in this league.
No-look
Saw where CA had another player to leave. I guess we're not the only one that happens to. Lol
TallTexan
No-look said:

Saw where CA had another player to leave. I guess we're not the only one that happens to. Lol

We're already at 500+ players and all the coaching hires/fires haven't been announced yet. Going to be a lot more.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

No-look said:

We're already at 500+ players and all the coaching hires/fires haven't been announced yet. Going to be a lot more.
I am seeing 398 D1 transfers with that going up nearly 50 a day. There are now about 23 D1 schools with four or more in the transfer portal. Makes our "mass defection" of two, so far, look pretty mild.
BigJack85
When you consider the other two "involuntary" expulsions the turnover is significant. My point was that this much turnover is generally not positive. Not unheard of but stil hard to spin as just business as usual.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
cboothe09
Departures Under Keller:

2019:
TJ - All-SLC
Aaron - All-SLC Defensive team
Karl
Jock

2018:
Stephon Fisher
Cam Mack

2017:
Lasani Johnson
Isaiah Traylor

Other players (Walk Ons) that have transferred in this time: Tyler Underwood, Chase Winchester, Khiorie Stewart, Jonny Dahl, Payton Stephens, Aaron Walton, Harrison Perkins

We hang around 5 a year counting the walk-ons, which push the number up a lot. Scholarship players we average 2.6 a year. Not bad numbers comparing to what other programs are seeing on a yearly basis.
PurpleOut
Staff
Can't really fault Keller for guys like Lasani Johnson, Underwood, Dahl, etc because they left after Brad left and never played under Keller. That's natural attrition that you see when coaches leave.
brlionfan44
Oliver Lynch-Daniels also transferring from HBU. I thought he was a young, talented player with an interesting skill set.
sfa17
The difference is players are leaving mid season. Karl, Aaron, Cam and even Gilmore was off the team for a bit and came back
cboothe09
The Leon situation is what makes me think Aaron isnt completely gone.
CertifiedAxeman98

Lynch-Daniels leaves and Janacek comes in.
sfa17
cboothe09 said:

im not so sure about that (my opinion). You dont get back in the coaches good graces by liking the comment Derrick jones says about SFA on twitter
Jacks4460
sfa17 said:

cboothe09 said:

im not so sure about that (my opinion). You dont get back in the coaches good graces by liking the comment Derrick jones says about SFA on twitter
and he has talked down to recruits about us...he gone...
cboothe09
Didn't catch that stuff. Just know he is still on campus and most guys would have packed up and left given his situation...
Jacks4460
cboothe09 said:

Didn't catch that stuff. Just know he is still on campus and most guys would have packed up and left given his situation...
AA has enough snap to him to realize that grades mean something when transferring and being eligible...I think it is 24 passing hours per year to stay eligible...
SFAJack_76
Not about the men's game, but didn't want to start a new thread. UIW hires Jeff Dow as head women's basketball coach. Dow resigned at the end of his five year contract at ULM. His record in those five years was 44-103. He blamed it on lack of financial support and facilities. He was suspended in October for one week prior to the start of the season without pay due to HR concerns.

Oh, and although he had a winning record as head coach in his five years at IUP, his previous job, he was fired for claims of physical and mental abuse of players. He, of course, denied the claims. Interesting hire.

https://uiwcardinals.com/news/2019/4/1/dow-named-womens-basketball-head-coach.aspx
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Not about the men's game, but didn't want to start a new thread. UIW hires Jeff Dow as head women's basketball coach. Dow resigned at the end of his five year contract at ULM. His record in those five years was 44-103. He blamed it on lack of financial support and facilities. He was suspended in October for one week prior to the start of the season without pay due to HR concerns.

Oh, and although he had a winning record as head coach in his five years at IUP, his previous job, he was fired for claims of physical and mental abuse of players. He, of course, denied the claims. Interesting hire.

https://uiwcardinals.com/news/2019/4/1/dow-named-womens-basketball-head-coach.aspx

Not exactly a sterling resume' to hang your hat on...
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
Personally, I'd take Ladner.

I thought Adams would be a hot name, but then I looked at his past HC record & he seems like a better assistant coach IMO.
purplitis72
They would do well to hire Ladner.
Pilotgirl
I hate to see Ladner go...he's a good coach & this conference needs good coaches. SLU BB was on the rise...with coach gone and their seniors...hmmm?? What will happen? I enjoyed watching that team play.
purplitis72
For now, I'm glad that he is gone. Lol!
SFAJack_76
purplitis72 said:

And, I understand why. However, SFA needs the SLC to get better. This does not help do that.
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

purplitis72 said:

And, I understand why. However, SFA needs the SLC to get better. This does not help do that.

Exactly
SFAJack_76
That was fast.

Pilotgirl
Dang! No time for even an external candidate to apply.
CertifiedAxeman98
Nicholls did the same thing and look where they ended up. When someone leaves you should always look outside to at least compare to.
sfa17
TallTexan
The funny thing is that of the final 4 teams, Auburn had the fastest pace of play for the season, coming in at 155th, Virginia came in at 353rd. Dead last in Pace of Play.

Of our last two winning tournament teams, we ranked at 323 with the 2014 team & 217 with the 2016 team on pace of play.
SFAJack_76
Lamar looking for a new women's coach.

https://cofcsports.com/news/2019/4/19/harmony-named-head-womens-basketball-coach-at-college-of-charleston.aspx
Pilotgirl
Maybe Lamar won't play so ugly with a new coach. Interesting...
purplitis72
I'm also glad that she is gone. Lol!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.