2019-2020 Southland Basketball

65,016 Views | 322 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Pilotgirl
Pilotgirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pilotgirl said:

Maybe Lamar won't play so ugly with a new coach. Interesting...

Definitely need strong, good coaches in the Southland. But her 'defense' to me is street ball. I hope they can snag a good one. Better coaches=Better Southland.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

Maybe Lamar won't play so ugly with a new coach. Interesting...
Yeah, they played dirty ball. I won't miss her a bit.
PurpleOut
Staff
Missed this last week, but Corpus Guard Kareem South has also elected to leave as a grad transfer. Getting interest from Minnesota, Stanford and others.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Missed this last week, but Corpus Guard Kareem South has also elected to leave as a grad transfer. Getting interest from Minnesota, Stanford and others.
Dang.
SFAJack_76
One year as an assistant at SFA.
TallTexan
What's the verdict on this hire?
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

What's the verdict on this hire?
First head coaching job at 33 years old. Excellent PG at John Tyler High, and A&M.

Played for one of the best in Gary Blair, and spent one year at A&M as a GA. After one year at SFA, three years with Vic Schaefer, another really good WBB coach, at Mississippi State. Since then, she has coached for Brandon Schneider at Kansas. Schneider isn't in the same discussion with Blair and Schaefer. His best year in four at Kansas is a Big 12 record of 3-15. Their four year conference record at Kansas is 0-18, 2-16, 3-15, and 2-16.

I think she will recruit well, particularly in SE Texas. Player development and game day planning, execution, and adjustments are TBD. I'm not blown away by the resume', but time will tell.
SFAJack_76
slulionsfan
Southeastern Louisiana finally completes it's spring recruiting class by adding four. Combined with the three signed in the fall (seven total), this could very well be our best recruiting class ever. A lot of upside with a good blend of size, athleticism, scoring ability and defense. We'll see how it unfolds on the court but hearing rave reviews about summer workouts. 2019-20 looks to be a transition year without Veal and Greenwood, and adjusting to a new head coach, but 2020-21 and beyond looks promising.

https://lionsports.net/news/2019/8/2/mens-basketball-slu-hoops-adds-four-to-signing-class.aspx

http://www.hudl.com/v/2BEwAK

PurpleOut
Staff
Thanks for sharing.

I've started to think about getting my SLC preview started soon. I'll get it done, but to be honest all of the turnover and changes throughout the league just makes me tired thinking about it. Just previewing us with an entire new team will be a chore in itself.
slulionsfan
PurpleOut said:

Thanks for sharing.

I've started to think about getting my SLC preview started soon. I'll get it done, but to be honest all of the turnover and changes throughout the league just makes me tired thinking about it. Just previewing us with an entire new team will be a chore in itself.
It's shaping up to be an interesting year.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76

https://gobonnies.sbu.edu/sports/m-baskbl/2018-19/bios/poyser_jalen_g2gw
No-look
slulionsfan said:

PurpleOut said:

Thanks for sharing.

It's shaping up to be an interesting year.
. Yes it is. A lot of change within the teams. Probably won't know a lot until everyone goes up
against D1 talent.
SFAJack_76
By a bunch.
PurpleOut
Staff
On ACU:

Quote:

Where they lose: "The no-sex pact. You can't have sex or else you are kicked out. They lost two players last year because of this." Southland assistant
SFA Jack Fanatic
They definitely nailed it when talking about HBU's gym. What a joke that thing is. There are jr. highs with much better gyms and more seating.
CertifiedAxeman98
The gym is the same one I went to basketball camps at as a kid. The only change they have made was taking out the stage and putting in seats behind the basketball goal. The SLC should have required them to upgrade their facility within a certain number of years as a requirement for joining the conference. But the SLC leadership is weak and at times lazy.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

On ACU:

Quote:

Where they lose: "The no-sex pact. You can't have sex or else you are kicked out. They lost two players last year because of this." Southland assistant

I laughed so hard at Lamar: "Anyone can get in school... and the food in Beaumont is almost good."
SFA Jack Fanatic
...and the refinery next door stinks.
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth
Get in early...
SFAJack_76
I want the best for Mitch, but I would not like seeing him in WRJ playing for another SLC team. I don't feel good about the way this one ended.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAJack_76
So HBU isn't the smallest.
PurpleOut
Staff
CertifiedAxeman98
SFAJack_76 said:

So HBU isn't the smallest.

If you have ever been in that gym 1,000 is a generous number not sure you could actually fit that many in there.
BigJack85
HBU, I'd guess 700 max. I got my MS there Spent hours in that gym shooting hoops in spare time.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Pilotgirl
Let's just say I wouldn't want to be in there with 999 other people.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

There was nothing in the SLC Tip-off Show that we didn't already know about the Jacks. Obviously, all of the video clips were of last year's team. Those were hard to watch -- lots of bad memories. The folks putting together the show knew and said nothing about any of our newcomers, which is understandable.

On the women's side, Coach Kellog said he was high on the team's depth, stating that all 13 on the roster will be big contributors this year. What amazes me is that none of the Ladyjacks are on the All-SLC first or second preseason teams. That's just idiotic! I will be shocked if the Ladyjacks are not both regular season and tournament champions. They're going to be that good!

BTW, both of the shows are still available for viewing under Event Replays on the ESPN app.

PurpleOut
Staff
I didn't get to watch, but wouldn't expect much out of a Southland production.
CertifiedAxeman98
Thanks for the recap. I have ATT TV Now (was called DirecTv now) and ATT doesn't pay to license espn 3 so I was not able to watch it.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Miya Crump, the 2019 Women's SLC Freshman of the Year at Lamar, has transferred to Houston.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.