2019-2020 Southland Basketball

64,127 Views | 322 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Pilotgirl
cboothe09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My top-3 right now is
1. SFA
2. Sam
3. Nicholls

Nicholls sits at 3 because they have no depth. They lost to Illinios and Rhode Island because they were gassed. They are long and athletic. They can light it up and play lockdown defense, but they dont have enough bodies to rotate and keep people fresh in close games.
Sam is the team that has me nervous. Hooten broke through and got a win last year. They aren't playing scrubs and have looked decent. As their chemistry continues to get better, so will they...
cboothe09
Kudos to McNeese for playing Texas tough on the road today. Lost by two at the Drum.

Sam played well at home against a bad Randall University, winning 86-51.

They played well through non-conference. All three losses are on the road and by less than 10 points: Miss State (9 points), Central Michigan (7 points), and San Francisco (9 points). Only one DI win to their credit (@ Cal State Bakersfield) with the other wins coming against Paul Quinn, LeTourneu, and Randall. I think we learn a lot more about them next week with a trip to UTRGV on Tuesday and a visit from Louisiana Tech on Saturday.

I am really intrigued by the Lamar/Texas Southern game tonight...

sfa17
Southland has 8 teams that have yet to beat a D1 opponent

ACU
Central Arkansas
HBU
IWU
McNeese
New Orleans
Northwestern
SELA

That is the most of any conference. Maybe they are all scheduling top 100 opponents??? #SouthlandStrong
SFAJack_76
cboothe09 said:

Kudos to McNeese for playing Texas tough on the road today. Lost by two at the Drum.

This says more about Texas than it does about McNeese.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Exactly! 'Overrated' is an understatement for this UT team.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Shaka must have a personal improvement plan in place. Basketball, men and women, at UT is not healthy.
SFA Jack Fanatic
ESPN Bracketology shows Prison Tech representing the SLC as a #16 seed. No respect for SFA or the SLC.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Shaka must have a personal improvement plan in place. Basketball, men and women, at UT is not healthy.
Desmond Haymon killed Havoc & Shaka's never recovered.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

ESPN Bracketology shows Prison Tech representing the SLC as a #16 seed. No respect for SFA or the SLC.
Always amazed that professional sports people don't actually watch & do research for their jobs.
cboothe09
That actually surprises me. Normally he just looks at standings and posts accordingly. If he did the research, he would see that we sit atop the SLC standings...Plus you know, the whole Duke thing...
CertifiedAxeman98
TallTexan said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Always amazed that professional sports people don't actually watch & do research for their jobs.
My assumption is that he is using something like Kenpom for league champions in 1 bid leagues and since SAM is still higher than us he will probably keep them in his bracket since they won the regular season last year and they had a lot of kids return this year. Once the preseason rankings fully burn off of Kenpom in January and after a few conference games Sam's Kenpom will deflate some. Lunardi simulates what the the NCAA committee would do and the committee looks at the NET/Kenpom, quad wins etc. to make their decision. Once conference games start up he just plug in the team in the SLC that has the most conference wins from week to week since we are a 1 bid league that is what he has done in the past.
SFASawmillGuy
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

TallTexan said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

My assumption is that he is using something like Kenpom for league champions in 1 bid leagues and since SAM is still higher than us he will probably keep them in his bracket since they won the regular season last year and they had a lot of kids return this year. Once the preseason rankings fully burn off of Kenpom in January and after a few conference games Sam's Kenpom will deflate some. Lunardi simulates what the the NCAA committee would do and the committee looks at the NET/Kenpom, quad wins etc. to make their decision. Once conference games start up he just plug in the team in the SLC that has the most conference wins from week to week since we are a 1 bid league that is what he has done in the past.

That's correct. While obviously we have the best record so far technically everyone is tied in conference play at 0-0, so they go exclusively off Kenpom for mid majors.
nacluth
The Huskies aren't good, but they are putting up some fight against Dayton tonight. #Southlandstrong.
nacluth
Speaking of Southland teams, UNO plays LSU tonight and are getting 20 points. They will cover.
cboothe09
Sam will get the only Southland DI win tonight
nacluth
You may be underestimating how bad Louisiana is this year.
PurpleOut
Staff
I had Dayton -31. They were up 34 with 1.6 seconds left, HBU heaves a full court shot that counts and it's a push. Are you kidding me???
nacluth
Vegas. Gets you every time.
cboothe09
SELA is really bad this year. Those seniors they lost meant a lot to what that program had built...
cboothe09
McNeese has topped 100 points in all three of their wins. McNeese is yet to defeat an NCAA team...
Southern New Orleans - NAIA
Arlington Baptist - NCCAA/ACCA
Campbellsville Harrodsburg - NCCAA/USCAA

That said, their losses haven't been blowouts, minus Wisconsin and Richmond...
Western Michigan 75-65
Louisiana 85-80
Wisconsin 83-63
New Mexico 90-80
Richmond 87-57
Texas 73-71
cboothe09
Northwestern State loses by 26 to SMU
UTSA rolls A&M Corpus by 22
SELA currently trailing Louisiana by 15 with 4:54 left
Sam in a battle against UTRGV...Leading 60-59 with 6:25 left
LSU ends the half on a run and leads UNO 38-30

The Southland is not good this year
cboothe09
Red Panda Watch!

Red Panda was spotted in Edinburg, performing at halftime of the SHSU/UTRGV game. Also Taco Tuesday for the Vaqueros home game...
cboothe09
OT in Edinburg...UTRGV with a tip in with two seconds left. Sam misses a good look from three at the buzzer. Ugly game
SFASawmillGuy
cboothe09 said:

The Southland is not good

Fixed it for you.
cboothe09
More free basketball coming...Sam misses another opportunity late as they move on to double overtime

LSU up 20+ on New Orleans
Seattle hanging around a 8-10 point lead on UIW late in the first
nacluth
Yay. Sam loses.
cboothe09
FINALLY! UTRGV puts it away and wins 90-86
LSU blows out New Orleans 90-54
Seattle up 47-28 at the half on UIW...

Unless there is a miracle, the Southland's only win tonight will be McNeese's over a now 3-5 NCCAA squad
PurpleOut
Staff
Anyone remember Jordan Jackson? Fairly high profile recruit that had SFA as a finalist, eventually picked Texas Tech. He's been at UT Rio Grande ever since and was the leading scorer tonight against Sam.
CertifiedAxeman98
I want all the SLC teams to do really well in the non-con unfortunately that is not happening. Part of it is scheduling and part of it is that our schools are not very good. So far only 2 SLC teams have winning records and if you take out the non-D1 schools SFA is the only one with a winning non-con D1 record. That is sad.
SFASawmillGuy
This has been an issue for a while, which is why we hardly got any respect when we would go undefeated in conference play. It's so hard to do no matter who you are to win 16-18 games in a row, but due to how bad the SLC is and has been, if we don't do it we aren't getting ranked.
SFAJack_76
SFA_03 said:

This has been an issue for a while, which is why we hardly got any respect when we would go undefeated in conference play. It's so hard to do no matter who you are to win 16-18 games in a row, but due to how bad the SLC is and has been, if we don't do it we aren't getting ranked.
True in nearly all sports. Baseball might be the only exception. And, bowling.
nacluth
Sam knocks off La Tech. Decent win.
BigJack85
SFA_03 said:

True dat. The SLC is weak and feeble. I've ranted multiple times. Makes me ill.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
cboothe09
Pretty quiet week across the Southland because of finals, but the slate Saturday is fun...Maybe it is a bloodbath like the last time the Southland had a chance to get some good wins, but I see some potential...

Nicholls @ West Virginia
Lamar @ TCU
Williams Baptist @ New Orleans (Seriously. Where do they find these teams???)
HBU @ Rice
Central Arkansas @ Pepperdine
UL Monroe @ SFA
nacluth
I've seen Pepperdine play several times this year. They are good.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.