2019-2020 Southland Basketball

64,875 Views | 322 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Pilotgirl
No-look
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nacluth said:

Never mind, I just watched Nicholls beat Pitt. They looked good. Gulp.
. Looks like we play Nicholls once and that's at home. Maybe that WRJ magic will be available.
TallTexan
The SLC does not want us to play Nicholls twice. Ever.
cboothe09
SLC Standings after Week 1:
Lamar 2-0
SFA 2-0
ACU 1-1
UNO 1-1
Nicholls 1-1
NWST 1-1
SHSU 1-1
UCA 1-2
A&MCC 0-1
SELU 0-1
HBU 0-2
McNeese 0-2
UIW 0-1

Most impressive win: Nicholls over Pitt. Don't care how down that program is, Nicholls was dominant against a historically good program.

Most embarassing loss: Tie between Sam choking at Miss State, Mizzou trouncing UIW, and LaTech going into Corpus and thrashing the Islanders.

Overreactions: SFA IS BACK! They might be, but we need a few more a few consistent performances before rushing to judgement.
McNeese is still bad. Two respectable road performances say the Cowboys may not be terrible, but lets see how this goes.

Week 1 Top 3:
1. SFA
2. Nicholls
3. Sam Houston
nacluth
McNeese still bad is an overreaction. They took a good Louisiana team to the wire and were winning a fair amount of the game.

Good breakdown though.
CertifiedAxeman98
Nicholls took Illinois to OT and lost then had a great win over a 75 kenpom Pitt team that beat 11 kenpom team Florida state the week before. This was most likely a buy game so you got to hate cutting the check for someone to come beat you. They may be the team to beat in the SLC. To be playing at this level this early in the season has me a bit worried. Unfortunately for them they could only get non D1 schools to come play them at home in the non-con. They were able to get into the Jamaica classic to play with some D1 schools on a neutral court.

I don't think we will know how good New Orleans is until conference play begins. They play 4 games at home against non D-1 teams then play what appears to be mostly buy games on the road the rest of non-con.

Sam has some good non-con games that will help us know what kind of team they are this year and if they are better or worse then their current 156 kenpom ranking.

Kenpom has increased SFA's projected record to 17-14 over all and 11-9 SLC after the weekend.
No-look
Corpus Christie leads Vandy 21-13. Threes are falling.
PurpleOut
Staff
Corpus had a good chance. Led most of the game and turned it over too much in the last 10 minutes. 71-66 the final.
CertifiedAxeman98
Just looked at the schedule and we only play Nicholls once at home. We will need to pack the gym for that game if they keep playing the way they have started the season.
TallTexan
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Just looked at the schedule and we only play Nicholls once at home. We will need to pack the gym for that game if they keep playing the way they have started the season.
On a weeknight too.
cboothe09
For one of the worst conferences in CBB, the Southland has really held their own through the first week of the season...

Nicholls losing in OT to Illinois before winning at the zoo in Pitt.
Sam dominating 30 minutes against Miss State before falling in a close one.
Corpus holding their own at Vandy.

Of course Corpus getting blown out at home by LaTech and Mizzou pantsing UIW didn't help our image. I'd have to say though, the Southland is looking better early this year...
PurpleOut
Staff
cboothe09 said:

For one of the worst conferences in CBB, the Southland has really held their own through the first week of the season...

Nicholls losing in OT to Illinois before winning at the zoo in Pitt.
Sam dominating 30 minutes against Miss State before falling in a close one.
Corpus holding their own at Vandy.

Of course Corpus getting blown out at home by LaTech and Mizzou pantsing UIW didn't help our image. I'd have to say though, the Southland is looking better early this year...
Agreed. But the bad part is they all resulted in losses other than Nicholls over Pitt. On top of that it's alarming how little commentators know about our league and who's actually in it. Listening to the clowns calling the Corpus/Vandy game, they didn't have a clue. SEC Network guys, so can't expect much, but just saying even the average person has no idea how to discuss the Southland. Talking about our league last night would have been the perfect time to mention the Nicholls win, but that would require them to know Nicholls, know they are in the Southland, or just require them to do research.

But do agree, as a group everyone seems better so far.
No-look
CA is folding under Dukes pressure. Guards look weak. Dukes full court press dominate.
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

CA is folding under Dukes pressure. Guards look weak.

Yes. UCA looks like an out-of-control street ball team. Duke already up by 20 only nine minutes in.
No-look
Duke up 35 and still pressing.
SFA Jack Fanatic
The announcer said that NBA teams are looking at UCA's Koval. My question is... WHY????
SFA Jack Fanatic
Announcer just said that "if UCA wins the SLC tournament, this is the type of 15 or 16 seed team that Duke will have to play." ROFL! If UCA wins the SLC tournament playing like this, someone in Vegas is going to be a millionaire.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Turning this mess off. UCA is embarrassing the entire Southland Conference. Duke is just toying with them. Up 57-20 at the half.
SFA Jack Fanatic
CertifiedAxeman98
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Announcer just said that "if UCA wins the SLC tournament, this is the type of 15 or 16 seed team that Duke will have to play." ROFL! If UCA wins the SLC tournament playing like this, someone in Vegas is going to be a millionaire.
UCA is not wining the SLC regular season. There are too many other teams that are potential contenders and I have yet to see UCA in a game that can demonstrate they are a contender. Can they get hot in the SLC tournament and make a run? Yes and so can any team in the SLC that plays in Katy.
CertifiedAxeman98
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

The announcer said that NBA teams are looking at UCA's Koval. My question is... WHY????
The NBA sends scouts to check out players at all D1 schools and I'm sure they spoke with this 7 foot shot blocker that can also shoot the 3.

NBA scouts have been to SFA lots of times to check out our players as well.

I'm pretty sure the NBA would have more interest in a certain 6'8" guy who plays in the Big 12 that can block shots, and shoot the 3 (and pretty much anywhere else on the court).
SFA Jack Fanatic
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

The NBA sends scouts to check out players at all D1 schools and I'm sure they spoke with this 7 foot shot blocker that can also shoot the 3.

NBA scouts have been to SFA lots of times to check out our players as well.

I'm pretty sure the NBA would have more interest in a certain 6'8" guy who plays in the Big 12 that can block shots, and shoot the 3 (and pretty much anywhere else on the court).

Koval is 7' and skinny as a rail and weighs maybe 200 soaking wet. During the game last night he was positioned in a corner on offense 25 feet from the basket. What kind of a Center does that? He would get killed in the NBA, and even in an European league or the G League. He won't be playing anywhere after college.
nacluth
Relatively decent win by Lamar over Mount St. Mary's tonight.
No-look
Nicholls @ LSU. Nicholls looks good and LSU looks really bad. LSU guard play is horrible.
cboothe09
Nicholls with another strong showing, this time at Rhode Island. Colonels cant close and fall to the Rams. URI is predicted to finish 4th in the A-10. Nicholls is big and athletic, but not deep.

Alabama is struggling at home against Furman right now.
cboothe09
ACU currently struggling at home against a bad Champion Christian team. Wildcats lead 44-37 at the half.

Champion Christian lost to Lamar 86-40 to open the season...
SFAJack_76
cboothe09 said:

ACU currently struggling at home against a bad Champion Christian team. Wildcats lead 44-37 at the half.

Champion Christian lost to Lamar 86-40 to open the season...
I had to look them up.

"The Tigers men's basketball team is a member of the NCCAA (National Christian College Athletic Association) but does not compete in a particular league or conference, which makes Champion an independent team. Because of this, the Tigers play a wide array of teams including NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association), NAIA (National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics), NJCAA (National Junior College Athletic Association), and the ACCA (Association of Christian College Athletics). "
cboothe09
Had to look them up too earlier. They play Northwestern State in December.

ACU is pulling away quickly here in the second half. I think ACU goes winless against DI competition in non-conference...
SFAJack_76
#40 RPI Nicholls losses to #352 NC A&T 66-54. Shot 29.5%. Out rebounded 41-27. Miserable performance.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAJack_76 said:

#40 RPI Nicholls losses to #352 NC A&T 66-54. Shot 29.5%. Out rebounded 41-27. Miserable performance.
We'll see how they do on Sunday against UMBC, because it may be easy to chalk this one up to travel. They were in Rhode Island Tuesday night, and Jamaica today. I know we've had our share of struggles after a rough road schedule, so it could be fair.
cboothe09
Depth will kill them. They have none. They may start conference play off well, but they will taper off in the back half.

SFA and Sam are my favorites right now in the SLC.
CertifiedAxeman98
At this point in the season I feel that these 5 are all contenders in the SLC until they show me otherwise in league play:

SFA
SAM
Nicholls
Lamar
New Orleans

All 5 have flaws this year so we will see who can keep it together in the new 20 game conference schedule. Unless these teams can start winning some meaningful games in the non-con the SLC tourney winner will be a 15 or 16 seed this year.

We only play Nicholls once (its in Nac) so that game may be a must win for us but then again the SLC have messed up tiebreaker rules so who knows if it will matter in the case of a tie.

The rest of the SLC will be hoping to be one of the last 3 seeds in Katy.

PurpleOut
Staff
UCA is on the struggle bus. Just lost to previously 1-5 Prairie View in OT 78-72.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

UCA is on the struggle bus. Just lost to previously 1-5 Prairie View in OT 78-72.

Looks like the SLC is going to be even weaker than usual this year. Great opportunity for the Jacks to win the darned thing. Austin Peay easily beat SELA and A&M CC barely beat D-III St. Thomas in Corpus.
Pilotgirl
I'm worried about Nicholls. Need to see if i can watch one of their games.
cboothe09
Credit to the Southland Conference. Their ability to go out and find some seriously interesting named schools is above and beyond. They are playing schools that aren't even NCAA...What a joke of a conference...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.