Thoughts for Next Year

80,826 Views | 318 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by sfa17
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't like it when the "I donate more" card gets pulled out. I donate plenty and have for 30 years. I've been a Keller skeptic. I was also Danny's biggest fan. Danny pulled this program from the depths. On Keller I think it's still to early to get the social aspect of his job brought in. Lighten Up.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
PurpleOut
Staff
Personal attacks of any kind will not be tolerated here. I've removed the last group of posts from several members. We all know the rules, if you cannot follow them after multiple warnings, you will lose all posting privileges. It's very simple.

Carry on.
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

Personal attacks of any kind will not be tolerated here. I've removed the last group of posts from several members. We all know the rules, if you cannot follow them after multiple warnings, you will lose all posting privileges. It's very simple.

Carry on.

Well said Purple!
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Ballwatch
I know I haven't been on this board long but just wanted to say I miss reading about actual news/info about SFA basketball
No-look
I need a fresh sip of that awesome Purple Koolaid! Already counting down till season starts. I was in Nac today and went to Canes in honor of the home pregame ritual. Any updates out there?
PurpleOut
Staff
Not a lot going on really, waiting on some solid scheduling news to drop still.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Scheduling news: I've got 3 conference calls this week.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

Basketball, Texan. Basketball. I know it's hard for you, but please try to keep up with the rest of us....
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

For the company I retired from, three conference calls would have been a slow day. Don't miss it.

Would sure like to be thrown a bone on the basketball schedule though.
TallTexan
edstile said:

TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

Basketball, Texan. Basketball. I know it's hard for you, but please try to keep up with the rest of us....

I can cold call some schools for Coach K if that'll help.
TallTexan
Agreed. I want to see our schedule for next year.
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

edstile said:

TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

I can cold call some schools for Coach K if that'll help.
I will help with the cold calls.. I hit CDC up weekly for a home and home on his twitter account..
TallTexan
I think Shaka probably continues to put the kabosh in that. Still too soon lol.
TallTexan
Personally, I think a fun campaign would be to get a bunch of postcards made up with the team taking photos around Nac & send them out with a goofy note like "Wish you were here". That'd be pretty hilarious.
ladygazette
Carry on! Regarding thoughts for next year we should do what coach Kaspar asked SFA to do for years. He couldn't stand seeing those old people and disabled struggle to get into their seats. What is more important than practice facilities is to make the Coliseum more accessible. My husband is 71 years old and has asthma and will probably soon need oxygen. You want find a bigger Lumberjack, Ladyjack fan than my husband but he is having difficulty getting to his seat.
TallTexan
ladygazette said:

Carry on! Regarding thoughts for next year we should do what coach Kaspar asked SFA to do for years. He couldn't stand seeing those old people and disabled struggle to get into their seats. What is more important than practice facilities is to make the Coliseum more accessible. My husband is 71 years old and has asthma and will probably soon need oxygen. You want find a bigger Lumberjack, Ladyjack fan than my husband but he is having difficulty getting to his seat.
Welcome LadyGazzette!

A couple quick questions, what makes getting to the seats challenging? Is it the distance from the parking lot? Steps inside the Coliseum? Steepness of the steps?

I think having an accessible arena is pretty important. Unfortunately, the design of the Coliseum(and most stadiums) makes it challenging to make changes that would make it easier to get to seats closer to the floor.

But on the other hand, I think we could do some cool design options to the exterior that would make it easier to get into the Coliseum in the first place. For example. I would level off the front slope of WRJ to create a large "courtyard/patio" that had a shorter set of steps/wheelchair ramps on the end closest to the road. I think this would make it easier to get into the stadium than the giant sloping ramp we currently have.

Plus it gives you the benefit of having a large courtyard where you could put a statue of Walkup/Silas or other former players. It would be great for after graduation pictures & pregame festivities.

Would love to hear your thoughts on how to make it more accessible. Nacogdoches has a significant population that is aging & we definitely want everyone to be able to come out and enjoy watching SFA beat any team that has the guts to come to town.
Jacks4460
Kaspar took his money and ran is what he did.. Practice facilities are way more important when it comes to getting better players and such..
Jacks4460
Texan great idea on the front of WRJ.. I do believe it would be hard for someone with a wheel chair or someone that cant walk too far to walk that steep entrance we have now. That would be a perfect place for pre game entertainment and somewhere we could feed the students for free before they go into the game and start yelling their tails off.. Welcome Lady Gazette!!
ladygazette
I consider that an inappropriate statement from 4460, Purple Out. What 4460 doesn't understand is that one of the reasons that Kaspar left was because they wouldn't make the coliseum more accessible. He didn't run. He walked and he brought us Walkup. I am happy to inform you that Kaspar was just admitted to the SFA sports hall of fame. Kaspar didn't take anything with him. He didn't get paid like Underwood and Keller although he built this program. Did you read Isaacs story a while back about Kaspar. Kaspar also took the job at Texas State to be near his family and plus the fact that his daughter was enrolled at Texas State. If you don't like Danny Kaspar it's because you don't know him. One thing Kaspar is is a gentleman. If Kaspar took his money and ran what did Underwood do. Do you believe that Keller would refuse to take a million dollar contract offer elsewhere if not offered? Oh I forgot. We are not suppose to mention Kellers name in any kind of negative light.
ladygazette
Thanks for the welcome. Let's be nice. Excellent idea TallTexan. I was thinking along the same lines.
nacluth
Our board has a policy against sock puppets.
nacluth
A sock puppet is an account used to get around a suspension of an user account by the moderators or a secondary account by a user. Neither are allowed under the user agreement we all had to agree to in order to post. Doing so under suspension will result in a longer ban from posting.

Here's the pertinent info from the user agreement:

Usernames
Each person is entitled to one username per email account. Users found to have numerous "sock puppets" will face moderator action and possible loss of posting privileges. Usernames found to be inappropriate by The Sawmill will be suspended, and the account holder will need to contact customer support for renaming the user account and reinstatement of posting privileges.

Using a "sockpuppet" to get around a suspension will result in a ban for the sockpuppet account, and a lengthened suspension for the original account.
SFAJack_76
Major modifications to WRJ will not be done prior to next season, so that is a topic for a different thread. I am sure everyone on this forum knows that a cart is available every game to take those that need help from the street to the door of the coliseum. Once inside, it is not hard to get to acceptable seats or use one of the areas for wheelchairs if needed. Does it need some improvements? Absolutely, but as it stands it is still the best facility in the conference and much better than what Texas State had until their muti-million dollar upgrade this year.

I was a huge Danny Kaspar fan and appreciate him leading a once proud program out of the abyss it had fallen in to. I keep hoping he will find success at Texas State. Underwood and Keller have both been very complimentary of the job he did, recognizing that they could not have had their success without his work. That topic also has nothing to do with next year.

Relative to next year, Bogues made a tweet that left much to the imagination. When he was asked to explain, he responded that he was not in trouble. He apologized and said he will not let it happen again. Hopefully that is all true.
ladygazette
Good for Shannon. The cart is not the answer. SO WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS FOR NEXT YEAR?
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

Texan great idea on the front of WRJ.. I do believe it would be hard for someone with a wheel chair or someone that cant walk too far to walk that steep entrance we have now. That would be a perfect place for pre game entertainment and somewhere we could feed the students for free before they go into the game and start yelling their tails off.. Welcome Lady Gazette!!

Yep, I think the plaza idea, combined with some slight modifications to WRJ to give it a facelift would make it one of the top basketball arenas in Texas. The front of WRJ should match the grandness of the program that we've built over the last 15 years.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Relative to next year, Bogues made a tweet that left much to the imagination. When he was asked to explain, he responded that he was not in trouble. He apologized and said he will not let it happen again. Hopefully that is all true.
That tweet this morning had me worried. Then again, half our guys tweet out stuff that seems ominous, then later you find out that they lost at Fortnite or something. Kids these days, amirite?
ladygazette
So why does Bogues say in a tweet "well I guess it's time to move on?" I just read it.
No-look
Could have been moving on from "anything". These guys have inside jokes and subjects they tweet about. Can't take stuff too serious these days.
PurpleOut
Staff
If Gazette registers again with another email, please do not respond or engage with him. Having to treat this place like a kindergarten room because of one person is not fun.
TallTexan
Shannon Update:

No-look
TallTexan said:

Shannon Update:

Can we just start early this year. I'm ready for some Jacks BB.
sfa17
TallTexan said:

That tweet this morning had me worried. Then again, half our guys tweet out stuff that seems ominous, then later you find out that they lost at Fortnite or something. Kids these days, amirite?
I thought it was just me and I was missing something. Not a big fan of tweets with no context provided.
CottonValleyJack
cboothe09 said:

A quick look at our roster for next year...

PG: Shannon Bogues (Sr.); Aaron Augustin (Jr.); John Comeaux (Jr.); Rance Cole (Jr.)
SG: Harrrison Perkins (Sr.); Duece Hughes (Fr.)
SF: Nathan Bain (Jr. ); Kevon Harris (Jr.); Samuli Nieminen (Jr.)
PF: Devante Fitzgerald (Sr.); TJ Holyfield (Sr.); Mitchell Seraille (Fr.)
C: Jovan Grujic (Sr.)

Not counting Karl Nicholas because he has to sit out a year...
Duece can ball. He may have to step up sooner than later. We will miss Canete, need a shooter!

Is Bogues going to play PG? Having a scoring threat at PG may help! We had some good runs when Canete ran point last year.
SFA Jack Fanatic
CottonValleyJack said:

cboothe09 said:

A quick look at our roster for next year...

PG: Shannon Bogues (Sr.); Aaron Augustin (Jr.); John Comeaux (Jr.); Rance Cole (Jr.)
SG: Harrrison Perkins (Sr.); Duece Hughes (Fr.)
SF: Nathan Bain (Jr. ); Kevon Harris (Jr.); Samuli Nieminen (Jr.)
PF: Devante Fitzgerald (Sr.); TJ Holyfield (Sr.); Mitchell Seraille (Fr.)
C: Jovan Grujic (Sr.)

Not counting Karl Nicholas because he has to sit out a year...
Duece can ball. He may have to step up sooner than later. We will miss Canete, need a shooter!
Yep. Duece is a shooter. I think he'll be more consistent from long range than Canete. And Mitch Seraille is going to make immediate contributions at forward.
No-look
I hope the new guys " buy in" 100% from day one. It will make all the difference.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.