Thoughts for Next Year

81,443 Views | 318 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by sfa17
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
It's Montana transfer Karl Nicholas (from Pearland).
cboothe09
Kid has potential to be a STUD.
PurpleOut
Staff
PurpleOut
Staff
Nicholas averaged almost 10 minutes a game as a true freshman, 3.5 PPG and 2.3 RBG, along with 12 blocks. Was 60% from the field for the season.

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/montana-basketball-forward-karl-nicholas-to-transfer/article_ae783923-659a-5023-a520-1e8d9b347bc2.html

sfa17

Looks like he hasn't signed yet. Just a offer. Friends with Leon Gilmore
SFA Jack Fanatic
Nicholas was rated the #17 player in the state of Texas following his senior year at Pearland Dawson. He was the MVP of District 22-6A, ahead of Savion Flagg (who we offered at the time and who just finished a productive freshman year at A&M).

Montana Head coach Travis DeCuire said he was impressed by Nicholas's competitive drive and the intensity level that he plays at. "I think he is relentless in terms of chasing the ball blocking shots, rebounding, clogging up the paint. It's hard to get guys to do that if it's not already a habit," DeCuire said.

This article gives a lot of info on his year at Montana...

https://skylinesportsmt.com/nicholas-leaves-montana-basketball-program/

And on this Montana fan blog site virtually everyone was very high on him and hoping that he would have stayed. (They didn't like his free throw shooting, however. He shot 60% from the field (lots of dunks, I assume) but only 33% from the FT line)...

https://egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?t=79612

And this comment from a Montana fan made me laugh... "Karl's mother is not happy with his PT, and when mommas not happy..............."

The more I read about this young man, the more I like him. I hope he signs. He could be another Leon Gilmore, especially with a redshirt year to add some muscle and get even better and stronger. A very active go-getter around the basket.
sfa17
What I've been told is that he would be a good replacement for TJ and that no other HS player that we could get would make a quicker impact than Nicholas.
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

What I've been told is that he would be a good replacement for TJ and that no other HS player that we could get would make a quicker impact than Nicholas.
I agree with that assessment. As sad as it will be, TJ will be gone after this next season and this guy could quickly fill that gap.
No-look
Please don't speak of TJ being gone. I have never met him but I love that guy. Let's enjoy another year before dealing with that. Lol
SFAXE93
#17 overall prospect in Texas coming out of high school.
TallTexan
No-look said:

Please don't speak of TJ being gone. I have never met him but I love that guy. Let's enjoy another year before dealing with that. Lol
I know how to get an extra year of playing time so that TJ gets 5 years to dominate the Southland. We'll need a volcano, a bearcat, & a voodoo priest... Just don't ask any questions.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

No-look said:

I know how to get an extra year of playing time so that TJ gets 5 years to dominate the Southland. We'll need a volcano, a bearcat, & a voodoo priest... Just don't ask any questions.
Have you started drinking again, Texan? I thought you had tamed that dragon.
TallTexan
edstile said:

TallTexan said:

No-look said:

Thanks for reminding me Ed, we also need a scale off a yearling dragon if this is going to work. Can we trust you to procure that for us?
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

edstile said:

TallTexan said:

No-look said:

Thanks for reminding me Ed, we also need a scale off a yearling dragon if this is going to work. Can we trust you to procure that for us?
A scale off a yearling dragon?? That confirms it. You're on the sauce again. Get some help, Texan. We need you sober by the first football game. (Although that game against Mississippi State may simply make you fall off the wagon again...)
SFAJack_76
Catching up after being out for a week on a cruise. Lots of teases on here about roster and schedule.

One of our ports was Freeport, Bahamas. I was wearing an SFA cap, of course, and met a guy that knows Nathan Bain. Small world.
BigJack85
Cool stuff.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
edstile said:

TallTexan said:

edstile said:

TallTexan said:

No-look said:

A scale off a yearling dragon?? That confirms it. You're on the sauce again. Get some help, Texan. We need you sober by the first football game. (Although that game against Mississippi State may simply make you fall off the wagon again...)

SFA football would be enough to make the strictest teetotaler drink himself under the table.
Gazette1
When I navigate to this forum , it says staff only. Does that mean that as a premium subscriber that I shouldn't join the conversation?
SFA Jack Fanatic
It's for everyone. Not sure what you're seeing.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Gazette1 said:

When I navigate to this forum , it says staff only. Does that mean that as a premium subscriber that I shouldn't join the conversation?
At the top of the page be sure that 'Staff Only' is turned off.
Gazette1
I doubt that it makes very much difference if there is a larger airport between Lufkin and Diboll or a larger one in Nac. We're talking thirty minutes driving time. They'll still need buses for football.
Gazette1
They could just as easily use Lufkin's airport. Let Lufkin build a larger and better airport. We are far better off in the Southland. Let's not end up like Texas State and UNT. The Southland needs to improve the quality of it's choices.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

I don't think this was posted anywhere. Love the picture with the empty seats, scoreboard, and three defenders watching Leon.

Txjack
SFAJack_76 said:

PurpleOut said:

I don't think this was posted anywhere. Love the picture with the empty seats, scoreboard, and three defenders watching Leon.

...and the Jacks up by 19.
Just saw this and thought it was interesting...."Nicholas, a Pearland, Texas, native, was the first player from Texas in Montana men's basketball history to suit up as a Grizzly".
Gazette1
Wouldn't Nicholas have to sit out a year? I would have thought that we would have needed that thirteenth scholarship for another point guard. Could that mean that we are going to give up on Grujic or Fisher? would someone who knows these things please inform me. Are you still out there Isaac?
nacluth
Nicholas is sitting a year if he commits.
PurpleOut
Staff
Gazette1 said:

Wouldn't Nicholas have to sit out a year? I would have thought that we would have needed that thirteenth scholarship for another point guard. Could that mean that we are going to give up on Grujic or Fisher? would someone who knows these things please inform me. Are you still out there Isaac?
Yes, as mentioned he would be a sit one, play three guy. So yeah not 100% ideal to have him not eligible to play next year, but on a bigger picture it makes sense and would be great to fill TJ's role when he's gone. Doesn't mean we're giving up on anyone. If the staff thinks the kid is worthy of the spot to sit a year (which there are a tof of kids out there that we could choose from), then that's good enough for me. Similar to Fitzgerald who will only be here for one season.

It's a tricky part of the recruiting game, but if it means taking a chance on winning quicker and at a higher level....you take it.
sfa17
Gazette1 said:

Yeah I agree. But at this point we are going to have to just trust that the coaches think we have enough for 2018-19 to be successful. bc it looks like we have already moved to recruiting 2019-18 player.
SFAJack_76
Now everybody knows.

SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Now everybody knows.

That certainly can't hurt our recruiting either.
nacluth
Des deserves everything coming his way!
PurpleOut
Staff
BOOM

TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

BOOM

Heck yes!

Now let's hear who that home & home is with!
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

BOOM

Very nice addition. Gets to spend a transfer year maturing, learning the coaches' systems, and helping the team get better in 2018-19 while preparing for the 2019-20 season.
No-look
Yes!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.