Thoughts for Next Year

81,674 Views | 318 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by sfa17
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA_03 said:

BigJack85 said:

PurpleOut said:

Remember we get LaTech at home next year. Our scheduling is much better than it was when I was a student in the Kaspar days. I think we need to keep getting the bigger Mid-Major matchups like we have with LaTech and UAB. Like UTA, ULL, Little Rock, SMU, etc. The problem those is that even if those are going to be really big and good games, the majority of our fan base won't know the difference.

As well as work on our relationship with the community and overall East Texas area. What would it take to improve the airport outside of Nac to get smaller planes in for better travel options?

I believe the city has applied for a federal grant to update/upgrade the old airport. It was not deemed necessary. That was years ago. What I don't understand is why there is a facility between lufkin and Diboll. If it was between Lufkin and Nacogdoches it would get three times the use and potentially justify two or three flights a week.

I think having a small commercial airport like they have in Tyler in between Nac and Lufkin would be amazing for the growth of Nacogdoches as well as being that little bit of an extra push to get more consistent strong opponents to come play us.
I've been curious why Lufkin and Nac together don't justify their own small commercial airport. It doesn't have quite the population of Tyler area, but between the two we've should have enough for a small regional.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

SFA_03 said:

BigJack85 said:

PurpleOut said:

Remember we get LaTech at home next year. Our scheduling is much better than it was when I was a student in the Kaspar days. I think we need to keep getting the bigger Mid-Major matchups like we have with LaTech and UAB. Like UTA, ULL, Little Rock, SMU, etc. The problem those is that even if those are going to be really big and good games, the majority of our fan base won't know the difference.

As well as work on our relationship with the community and overall East Texas area. What would it take to improve the airport outside of Nac to get smaller planes in for better travel options?

I believe the city has applied for a federal grant to update/upgrade the old airport. It was not deemed necessary. That was years ago. What I don't understand is why there is a facility between lufkin and Diboll. If it was between Lufkin and Nacogdoches it would get three times the use and potentially justify two or three flights a week.

I think having a small commercial airport like they have in Tyler in between Nac and Lufkin would be amazing for the growth of Nacogdoches as well as being that little bit of an extra push to get more consistent strong opponents to come play us.
I've been curious why Lufkin and Nac together don't justify their own small commercial airport. It doesn't have quite the population of Tyler area, but between the two we've should have enough for a small regional.
Well its a well known fact that the city of Nacogdoches is very reluctant to any change that will hurt the reputation of Nac being the "historic oldest town in Texas". This is the reason the waterpark took several years and attempts and ultimately only came to fruition after the owner was able to use a loophole where the city could no longer tell him no.

There have been multiple attempts by many businesses such as bars and lounges that would thrive in Nac but never opened because the city was very much against it. Basically if its not already here, its very difficult to bring new business to town.

I could see them being against the airport due to the growth it would bring to the city, which many of the older people in town are very much against.
INiedrauer
Staff
Civil Air Patrol's relocating to Nacogdoches a few years ago can only help the city recognize the need to improve the airport. I'm not sure a new airport is reasonable but there's plenty that could be done to improve what's already there.

I know CAP is expanding their headquarters building there and trying to make a mini-campus for their cadet program operations. Even without considering how SFA athletics could benefit from a real airport, it would be nice to see the city help out a bit in improving the situation there. Longer runway, a FBO, etc. Even if SFA can't afford to charter airplanes, having the option for road teams to fly directly would be nice.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

Well its a well known fact that the city of Nacogdoches is very reluctant to any change that will hurt the reputation of Nac being the "historic oldest town in Texas". This is the reason the waterpark took several years and attempts and ultimately only came to fruition after the owner was able to use a loophole where the city could no longer tell him no.

There have been multiple attempts by many businesses such as bars and lounges that would thrive in Nac but never opened because the city was very much against it. Basically if its not already here, its very difficult to bring new business to town.

I could see them being against the airport due to the growth it would bring to the city, which many of the older people in town are very much against.

As someone who's been to historic cities all across the country, smartly merging historical preservation with economic growth is the only path forward. If you're not growing, you're dying. Cities like Gwttysburg PA, Farmville VA, and others do this very well. It adds to the charm.

I'd love to see real growth and plan on bringing a company of my own back one day. I've seen what dying cities look like and it's not pretty.
nacluth
SFA_03 said:

Well, I have just done some hardcore investigative journalism for you, Sawmillers. I called up the airport manager and asked her about these issues. So here's the long and short (too short) of it.

Our airport is capable of handling just about any plane flying in. Now there is a top weight limit that could be tested by some of the largest jets, but most aircraft will fall under this. Commuter jets can come and go fairly easily, and I would think that a charter jet for a basketball team (say 25 seater) could make it fine. (I'll be honest that I don't know what size crew usually travels for our team).

Now for bigger jets for a football team. The real key isn't that they couldn't land and takeoff, but the insurance behind it. This seems to be the sticking point for certain flights. Most liability policies for large aircraft dictate a 7000' runway. Currently we're sitting a little over 5000'. If pushed to the max (though not feasible because 7000' seems to be the magic number) an extra 1000' could possibly be squeezed out. It would take re-routing the lake road (FM 225) for 7000' to be possible. Monetarily the cost for just lengthening the strip is not prohibitive, but the political pressure to move the highway needs backing.

Apparently there have been some plans brought forward to the city about the benefit of having the longer runway. Getting a UPS/Fedex sorting facility. Ability to host large Invitational tournaments at SFA. Attractiveness for regional service airlines. All arguments have been made in the past, but for the fairly patient city government to do something, an organized effort of all parties and a clear economic benefit would need to be put forward. This is something that could happen, and relatively quickly, if the impetus was there. The issue becomes who is going to be the organizer for the cause.

Anyway, I think it would behoove the college to buy a couple of commuter jets and have them available for our Gonzaga style nonconference play. Also let other colleges know they can fly teams in in everything but the biggest jets. Obviously this doesn't help get fans and families to the games, but it would be a start toward expansion.

Some food for thought.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
nacluth said:

SFA_03 said:

Well, I have just done some hardcore investigative journalism for you, Sawmillers. I called up the airport manager and asked her about these issues. So here's the long and short (too short) of it.
This is why we pay you the big bucks Nacluth.
nacluth
Thanks. I'm saving up all these checks to help pay off the loan I took out to afford the Kinnaird Guitars Prediction Contest.
TallTexan
Didn't you get a discount on the Lambo for being a repeat customer?
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

All arguments have been made in the past, but for the fairly patient city government to do something, an organized effort of all parties and a clear economic benefit would need to be put forward. This is something that could happen, and relatively quickly, if the impetus was there. The issue becomes who is going to be the organizer for the cause.

Nicely done, Ryan! Thanks for the legwork... er... phone work.... So, are you going to be the organizer to get this cause rolling, Ryan??
SFA Jack Fanatic
Just wondering... Did the teams from long distances who came to play at SFA in the last few years (including UNI and Longwood) fly into the Nac airport, the Angelina County airport, to Shreveport, or to somewhere else? If not into the Nac airport, then why not? Anyone know?

Maybe they had to use commercial flights rather than charters due to costs, perhaps?
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth said:

SFA_03 said:

Our airport is capable of handling just about any plane flying in. Now there is a top weight limit that could be tested by some of the largest jets, but most aircraft will fall under this. Commuter jets can come and go fairly easily, and I would think that a charter jet for a basketball team (say 25 seater) could make it fine. (I'll be honest that I don't know what size crew usually travels for our team).

Now for bigger jets for a football team. The real key isn't that they couldn't land and takeoff, but the insurance behind it. This seems to be the sticking point for certain flights. Most liability policies for large aircraft dictate a 7000' runway. Currently we're sitting a little over 5000'. If pushed to the max (though not feasible because 7000' seems to be the magic number) an extra 1000' could possibly be squeezed out. It would take re-routing the lake road (FM 225) for 7000' to be possible. Monetarily the cost for just lengthening the strip is not prohibitive, but the political pressure to move the highway needs backing.

Apparently there have been some plans brought forward to the city about the benefit of having the longer runway. Getting a UPS/Fedex sorting facility. Ability to host large Invitational tournaments at SFA. Attractiveness for regional service airlines. All arguments have been made in the past, but for the fairly patient city government to do something, an organized effort of all parties and a clear economic benefit would need to be put forward. This is something that could happen, and relatively quickly, if the impetus was there. The issue becomes who is going to be the organizer for the cause.

Anyway, I think it would behoove the college to buy a couple of commuter jets and have them available for our Gonzaga style nonconference play. Also let other colleges know they can fly teams in in everything but the biggest jets. Obviously this doesn't help get fans and families to the games, but it would be a start toward expansion.

Some food for thought.
Cross football off then.

Good stuff. Would love for us to help get any of that going.
nacluth
"edstile" said:

Thanks for the legwork... er... phone work.... So, are you going to be the organizer to get this cause rolling, Ryan??
Well, my family has already been at the head of a pretty major campaign that has shaken the city up pretty good for the last 5 months. While I'm now aware of what it would take to get this done, and I believe it's doable, I'm not sure if I have it in me right now. Maybe when I get bored of having some free time.
nacluth
Just thought I'd leave this here.

sfajack05
They could always fly into Dallas then to Longview/Gregg County and take a bus. It's only 45 minutes to an hour from Nac.
SFASawmillGuy
sfajack05 said:

They could always fly into Dallas then to Longview/Gregg County and take a bus. It's only 45 minutes to an hour from Nac.

That's the issue. Teams don't want to have to fly somewhere and then take a bus another hour to get where they're going. They already have to do that flying into Shreveport or Houston. Believe it or not, that hour bus ride does mean a lot.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Considering the fact that SFA played Texas Tech dead even (maybe slightly better) for 35 of the 40 minutes in their Big Dance First Round game, and considering the fact that Tech's coach Beard said in the post-game presser on national TV about SFA "That's not a 14 seed. That's one of the best teams in the country", and considering the fact that Tech controlled #2 seed Purdue for the whole game and is now in the Elite Eight, and considering the fact that we get back our three leading scorers and two leading rebounders and graduate only three seniors, then I'm going to go bat crazy and predict that SFA will garner a lot of preseason votes next Fall in the D-1 polls (although maybe not enough to break into the top 25 -- yet) and will definitely be in the top five in the Mid Major preseason polls.

Who's with me on that?
No-look
I'm with u. Especially if we nab a couple more good recruits.
nacluth
I'm excited to see if Coach can still wrangle some big time games out of some power schools. I liked our soft home openers this year that let us work out some things before hitting the road. I hope we can jump on a Big 10/12/East team before they know what's happening. I'm just hoping people are answering the phone.
nacluth
A not much article, but something better from Mid-major Madness than their postgame piece:

https://www.midmajormadness.com/platform/amp/2018/3/23/17152498/an-early-exit-leaves-stephen-f-austin-wondering-what-if-lumberjacks-kyle-keller-ncaa-tournament
TallTexan
nacluth said:

I'm excited to see if Coach can still wrangle some big time games out of some power schools. I liked our soft home openers this year that let us work out some things before hitting the road. I hope we can jump on a Big 10/12/East team before they know what's happening. I'm just hoping people are answering the phone.
Here's to looking at you Texas.
BigJack85
Good luck with that one Tall. Best bet is we get someone like a Louisiana Lafayette, North Texas or UTEP. Just can't see it happening.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
sfa17
keller did good with the schedule. Slow start and build up to the important games. He schedule the right teams at the right time. LSU is a okay P5 but not a powerhouse plus it was the first year For their coach will wade. Same for Missouri. We need more games like that and less game with Kentucky and other big teams.
SFASawmillGuy
I'd like to see one game against a potential 1 or 2 seed. Then a couple of games against a potential 4-9 seed. Games against tournament teams absolutely help us in the long run when March 2019 rolls around.
I'd actually like to see us try and get a home home with U of H or UTSA or someone. I'd like to see us get games against Mid majors over D2 and D3 teams. I understand it's not a reality for us to cut those games completely but I'd like to minimize them. Maybe get us a game against Midwestern State or some other really talented D2 team.
BigJack85
Any thoughts on the starting line up next year?
nacluth
1: Aaron 2: Shannon 3: Kevon 4: TJ 5: Samuli
BigJack85
nacluth said:

I was with you till Samuli..... he maybe plays the 5 but I'm guessing he doesn't get more than 10 minutes a game.
nacluth
Well I figured you were asking about opening day. Hopefully we pick up a true 5 over the summer, but I don't see anyone but Sammy starting opening day. I don't think he will be the starter in the first round of the NCAA's. The new guy that has finally picked up the system will be there.
No-look
I'm hoping Serialle steps up. He could be a monster before his career is over at SFA.
No-look
One big need for next year is we need someone in the Nac community that can be a Sister Jean. Anyone know of such a person?
TallTexan
No-look said:

One big need for next year is we need someone in the Nac community that can be a Sister Jean. Anyone know of such a person?

For real, we need a nun. Or maybe a lucky Clint Dempsey.
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

nacluth said:

I was with you till Samuli..... he maybe plays the 5 but I'm guessing he doesn't get more than 10 minutes a game.
I agree with you, 85. Sammie does not have good hands (fumbles the ball away too much), and he was very tentative about shooting the ball, especially in the last half of the season. He's just not aggressive enough.

I don't know if Coach K will have enough confidence in a true freshman to start Mitch Seraille right away, but he would be my choice in that last position.
No-look
Sammy gave us some good minutes the last half of conference play. He matured a lot as season went. Along.
No-look
TallTexan said:

No-look said:

Think Sister Jean would hire out? Lol
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

No-look said:

Are we forgetting dancing old lady?
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

TallTexan said:

No-look said:

Are we forgetting dancing old lady?
True, does anyone know if she was at the Tech game? That could have been our downfall.

And if the basketball team needs a Nun, the football teams gonna need a whole convent on their side.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.