Thoughts for Next Year

81,690 Views | 318 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by sfa17
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TallTexan said:

And if the basketball team needs a Nun, the football teams gonna need a whole convent on their side.
Score that one a 10 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No-look
Jock Hughes won the three point shoot out at Houston Coaches Allstar Game.
TallTexan
I'm always amazed at how much better pros are at shooting than college kids. Game speed is different, but fun to watch him shoot. He might be just what we need.
SFAJack_76
edstile said:

BigJack85 said:

nacluth said:

1: Aaron 2: Shannon 3: Kevon 4: TJ 5: Samuli

I was with you till Samuli..... he maybe plays the 5 but I'm guessing he doesn't get more than 10 minutes a game.
I agree with you, 85. Sammie does not have good hands (fumbles the ball away too much), and he was very tentative about shooting the ball, especially in the last half of the season. He's just not aggressive enough.

I don't know if Coach K will have enough confidence in a true freshman to start Mitch Seraille right away, but he would be my choice in that last position.
Samuli should be/needs to be a significant contributor next season. Unless he improves dramatically, he will not be close to replacing Gilmore in the starting five. He is more a high post guy and way too slow on defense. 10-15 minutes a game tops. He has shown flashes his first two seasons, but not consistent enough. He must get and play stronger.

Perhaps Seraille is ready to start as a freshman. My hope is that Keller gets a plug and play Juco transfer to fill the slot for at least the start of the season.

Keller and staff have great selling points for two top end Juco guys. The returners have got to be excited about what can be, and will work hard in the off season.

I know there was a comment at one point that if anyone did not return, it might be Fisher. I hope they all stay, but wondering if there is any sense that any might be added to the rapidly growing national transfer list.

Any chance that either of the two walk ons stay and contribute beyond practice guys?
No-look
A juco point guard is an area we really need to look at. Canete leaving leaves a void. Aaron and John are doing a good job but a sprained ankle or an injury would put us in a bind.
PurpleOut
Staff
Just got 6'8 grad transfer from Minnesota
SFAJack_76

Also posted on recruiting forum.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAJack_76
Maybe he did a little work with Jovan while he was in town. #9 pick in the 1970 NBA draft.

TallTexan
This is one of the areas of Lumberjack Basketball history I need to brush up on, former Jacks who went pro.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

This is one of the areas of Lumberjack Basketball history I need to brush up on, former Jacks who went pro.
James Silas was from the same era, 1968-1972, and had a more successful pro career in the ABA although he was selected by the Rockets in the NBA draft. His number 13 was retired by the Spurs.

Pete Harris, who I did get to see play, was drafted in 1973, but chose to play in Europe. He was a heck of a ball player.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

James Silas was from the same era, 1968-1972, and had a more successful pro career in the ABA although he was selected by the Rockets in the NBA draft. His number 13 was retired by the Spurs.

Pete Harris, who I did get to see play, was drafted in 1973, but chose to play in Europe. He was a heck of a ball player.
I saw Pete Harris play one year. He was a two-time All American. A tough, tough rebounder. He still holds the SFA record for rebounds, averaging 16.8 rpg, including one game with 31. He passed away in January.
cboothe09
Hiram Harrison was another one that had a good career. Was drafted by the Houston Rockets I want to say, but blew out his knee playing a pickup game after the draft. A pretty good high school coach. He is the HC at Center HS now...
Jacks4460
I would like to see an NBA lounge/walk of fame/something in the WRJ that pays tributes to SFA NBA players. WRJ is suppose to be first on the list to get a facelift..
MasterAxe
Jacks4460 said:

I would like to see an NBA lounge/walk of fame/something in the WRJ that pays tributes to SFA NBA players. WRJ is suppose to be first on the list to get a facelift..
I think you even expand to any professional level. From NBA and beyond.

Fill it up with pictures not just of Silas and JOhnson but Josh Alexander and Kingsley and Jereal and Taylor and Thomas and etc...

"If you play here...you can go pro."

Somewhere.
aquavelvis
Pete Harris was The Man when I stumbled onto campus in fall of '71. George Johnson was already in the NBA, and Silas was still there, but only played thru December...an academic casualty I was told, but don't know for sure. Pete had a good supporting cast at SFA...Skeet Gords, Richard Dorsey, Skip Carleton and others.

Seems like someone has already posted this link, but if you haven't seen it, this old SI article is a good description of that era of SFA basketball, when SFA and Sam Houston were men among boys in the still barely integrated Lone Star Conference: https://www.si.com/vault/1972/11/27/619149/wildcatting-lumberjacks

Pete went to play in Europe and stayed there. Unfortunately, he passed away in Amsterdam in January of leukemia. Outstanding player.
Scott Taylor
No-look
aquavelvis said:

DT Pete Harris was The Man when I stumbled onto campus in fall of '71. George Johnson was already in the NBA, and Silas was still there, but only played thru December...an academic casualty I was told, but don't know for sure. Pete had a good supporting cast at SFA...Skeet Gords, Richard Dorsey, Skip Carleton and others.

Seems like someone has already posted this link, but if you haven't seen it, this old SI article is a good description of that era of SFA basketball, when SFA and Sam Houston were men among boys in the still barely integrated Lone Star Conference: https://www.si.com/vault/1972/11/27/619149/wildcatting-lumberjacks

Pete went to play in Europe and stayed there. Unfortunately, he passed away in Amsterdam in January of leukemia. Outstanding player.
Thanks for the article! Good read.
SFAJack_76
Thanks for finding this and sharing. I made my way to Nacogdoches in the fall of 1972, so this brings back a lot of memories. Most are good memories, but seeing Gary Brown's name brought sadness.

NACOGDOCHES, Tex. -The Stephen F. Austin basketball game against Sam Houston State in Huntsville tonight has been rescheduled for next Thursday, due to the death of Lumberjack athlete Gary Brown. Funeral services for the 20 -year old Brown were held Friday in Bethlehem Baptist Church at Chireno, 20 miles east of Nacogdoches. The 6-8 sophomore guard was fatally injured in a one -car crash Tuesday about 10:30 p m. at the intersection of State Highway 21 east and Loop 224. He was alone in his automobile when it collided with a support column of the Loop 224 overpass. Gary was the younger brother of Andria Brown, 22-year old senior on the Lumberjack basketball team. At the time of his death, Gary was leading SFA in free throw shooting and was second to Andria in scoring.

Apparently, Gary was going at a high rate of speed and never slowed down. He was in the same accounting class that I was.
Jacks4460
Wow 6-8 Guard.. Yes thanks for the read..
aquavelvis
Yes, very sad story about Gary Brown. My brother, a friend, and I lived in a house on Justice Ln off Hwy 21 about a mile east of the loop. Saw debris there on the way into town the next morning but knew nothing about the accident until arriving on campus.
Scott Taylor
SFAJack_76
What is this about?

cboothe09
I saw they had a basketball banquet on Twitter, but surely this isn't their first one.
No-look
cboothe09 said:

I saw they had a basketball banquet on Twitter, but surely this isn't their first one.
Everyone's thinking it's about recruiting. But who knows. At least he got everyone's attention. Lol
SFAXE93
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

Maybe Gru was the DJ and took it to the next level?
SFASawmillGuy
SFAXE93 said:

Is it November yet?
Txjack
SFA_03 said:

SFAXE93 said:

Is it November yet?
I was at a banquet last night that was on the floor of the Merrell Ct/Gymn. Last time I was there, there was confetti flying and the Jacks were going dancing! Last night was an empty reminder that it will be another 7 months before Jack BB...
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

This was great, but I have to believe that 2018-2019 will be even greater!

Field of 32? Easy Peasy.

Sweet 16? Absolutely!

Elite 8 or Final Four? If Illinois- Chicago can, then why can't we? Nacluth, are you prepared to sit in a wheelchair and do some heavy praying??
nacluth
edstile said:

Nacluth, are you prepared to sit in a wheelchair and do some heavy praying??
You know it brother. Whatever it takes...
SFASawmillGuy
If we make it to the elite 8 we better just win it all. Get an immediate big 12 invite.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

edstile said:

Nacluth, are you prepared to sit in a wheelchair and do some heavy praying??
You know it brother. Whatever it takes...
Nothing against Nacluth, but let's not settle.

SFAJack_76
Not sure what is special about June 6, but looking forward to these two and what they will bring to the program.

PurpleForever
SFAJack_76 said:

Not sure what is special about June 6, but looking forward to these two and what they will bring to the program.

They can't begin working out with the team until they are taking classes. Typically they enroll in summer 1 classes which begin in June.
SFAJack_76
PurpleForever said:

SFAJack_76 said:

They can't begin working out with the team until they are taking classes. Typically they enroll in summer 1 classes which begin in June.
According to the school calendar, June 4 is the first day of class for summer.
TallTexan
Nothing against Sister Jean, but if we're looking for transfers, aim for the top. The grand Poobah himself.

http://6abc.com/sports/jay-wright-presents-pope-francis-basketball-signed-by-team/3345969/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.