Thoughts for Next Year

81,456 Views | 318 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by sfa17
No-look
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm sure he's qualified but I'm rolling with sister Jean.
sfa17
Coach K interview from 3/29/18
Talks Sfa loss to tech and scheduling issues

https://omny.fm/shows/in-the-loop/kyle-keller-with-tournament-talk
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

Great interview. Thanks for sharing, 17.

A couple of interesting notes from it: 1) Coach K had so far scheduled only two non-conference teams at the time of the interview (no one wants to play SFA), and 2) SFA had a contract to play Tech but Coach K and his friend, the Tech coach, tore up the contract since they didn't want to play each other.
MasterAxe
edstile said:

sfa17 said:

Great interview. Thanks for sharing, 17.

A couple of interesting notes from it: 1) Coach K had so far scheduled only two non-conference teams at the time of the interview (no one wants to play SFA), and 2) SFA had a contract to play Tech but Coach K and his friend, the Tech coach, tore up the contract since they didn't want to play each other.
Man, I hate hearing that we are struggling to find games.

Certainly, no one in Texas wants to play us. I would love to see an 1-10/35 swing.

Houston, Aggies, UTSA, TxState, UT, Baylor up to TCU or SMU, or some variation of that.

Wouldnt win all the games, but man that would be fun.

Instead, I guess we'll cut the check for the LeTourneau, UT-Tyler and some random Oklahoma private school to come down.

Jacks4460
Thanks 17 I appreciate it... Wonder why they didnt put this up on the basketball Twitter?? This is some good stuff...
sfa17
I Wish we could get some in state teams competition/rivalry . It doesn't even have to be a home and home. A game against Smu in Dallas or UH in Houston would go a long way in recruiting Texas player ( if we win or have a good showing). Plus they would be a few more lumberjack fans in crowd unlike out state games. It took Gonzaga years to get true home/home. Wichita State is still playing neutral/home games. They played at okstate and then at stadium near witchita. Very few coaches that would come play a team with 4 home loss in 7 years or something. Don't blame them. BU probably won't do it and Boyton won't either. That is why I say "put it in the contract" pay us if u don't want to play us.
SFAJack_76
Only two non conference games scheduled about three weeks ago is disappointing. NC posted their full non conference schedule yesterday. They are playing at both Wofford and Elon. Some high major in Texas needs to gut up and play one of the best teams in the state over the last five to ten years.

Keller tearing up the contract with Tech because he is friends with Beard makes no sense to me. If you eliminate playing any high major that has a coach that Keller is friends with, what is left? Is TCU out because Cross is there now? Is A&M out because Keller worked for Kennedy? Etc.

Great find. Odd that this interview had not surfaced before you found it.
ljax1979
I say this being transparent that I know nothing about the logistics or investment needed to put something like this together but, I remember in years past that the volleyball team used to host an invitational in Nacogdoches where three other teams would be invited and you would play a round robin over 3-4 days. In this case I'm sure you took care of those teams travel costs but you could knock out three games in a short window against good competition.

Would be great if something like this could be put together with mid-major teams from Oklahoma (Oral Roberts), Texas (UTEP / North Texas / UTA) and Louisiana (ULM / ULL).
Txjack
sfa17 said:

I Wish we could get some in state teams competition/rivalry . It doesn't even have to be a home and home. A game against Smu in Dallas or UH in Houston would go a long way in recruiting Texas player ( if we win or have a good showing). Plus they would be a few more lumberjack fans in crowd unlike out state games.
Absolutely! I have never understood why this has not come to fruition, esp. the two schools you mentioned, SMU and U of H. I think the last time we played UH, Kaspar was coaching. Seems like it would make sense for all involved; not much travel, good attendance.
I really did not get the "you do not want to play your friends" comment...yes you do! You pursue that, it benefits SFA and potentially your career as a coach.. I don't know, don't get it....
TallTexan
Txjack said:

sfa17 said:

I Wish we could get some in state teams competition/rivalry . It doesn't even have to be a home and home. A game against Smu in Dallas or UH in Houston would go a long way in recruiting Texas player ( if we win or have a good showing). Plus they would be a few more lumberjack fans in crowd unlike out state games.
Absolutely! I have never understood why this has not come to fruition, esp. the two schools you mentioned, SMU and U of H. I think the last time we played UH, Kaspar was coaching. Seems like it would make sense for all involved; not much travel, good attendance.
I really did not get the "you do not want to play your friends" comment...yes you do! You pursue that, it benefits SFA and potentially your career as a coach.. I don't know, don't get it....
I wonder how much of it was "you don't want to play your friends" and if the contract actually had an out in case of a coaching change at Tech. I also wonder if they'd be open to it when they both weren't brand new coaches, that could have had something to do with it.
SFAJack_76
That would have been a nice tournament.

SFAJack_76
MasterAxe
SFAJack_76 said:

This frustrates beyond belief,

UIW, one of the worst D1 schools in America gets an invite? Towson? Pepperdine?

:Little to no national relevance and even less NCAA tourney experience.

They go...and we play UT-Tyler and LETU.

BOLD IDEA: How about Keller call in some favors will all these friends he has in coaching and get us into some of these tournaments? Since he does not want to play against friends, use them to help us out.
SFA Jack Fanatic
MasterAxe said:

SFAJack_76 said:

BOLD IDEA: How about Keller call in some favors will all these friends he has in coaching and get us into some of these tournaments? Since he does not want to play against friends, use them to help us out.
Chaps me, too! And UIW recently fired their coach. They must have had the invite in hand before he was sent packing, since their new coach is some unknown guy from some unknown little NAIA college in some unknown part of the country.
Jacks4460
edstile said:

MasterAxe said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Chaps me, too! And UIW recently fired their coach. They must have had the invite in hand before he was sent packing, since their new coach is some unknown guy from some unknown little NAIA college in some unknown part of the country.
I am with both of you guys.. I dont understand this one..
nacluth
Just to play devils advocate...

First year we played Kentucky at Rupp and in the Diamondhead Classic.

Second year we played Mizzou, Miss St., and LSU. Chose not to go to a holiday tournament because of how hard the stress of travel was year 1.

What basis do we have to say we won't get good games scheduled this year when we've had two of the more exciting years yet? Maybe we will play 4 non-D1 schools, but we've been getting good games so far. La Tech for sure here, who else?
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Just to play devils advocate...

First year we played Kentucky at Rupp and in the Diamondhead Classic.

Second year we played Mizzou, Miss St., and LSU. Chose not to go to a holiday tournament because of how hard the stress of travel was year 1.

What basis do we have to say we won't get good games scheduled this year when we've had two of the more exciting years yet? Maybe we will play 4 non-D1 schools, but we've been getting good games so far. La Tech for sure here, who else?
I hope beyond hope that you are right, but when we hear that on March 29, we only had two non conference games scheduled it does not sound good.
nacluth
April 3 was when the Mizzou game was announced last year - the first big game announced. We're still in that range. I'm sure someone is working hard. (It wasn't announced by our guys but through the Mizzou.)
ljax1979
Now that the NCAA has redefined what a quality win is I'm a little surprised that we aren't in more demand by the power 5 conference teams. Sure, there's a greater likelihood for us to beat a Power 5 team vs. the Incarnate Word/McNeese State's of the world but on a tournament resume a win against us would be counted as a much more impressive quality win due to our typically top 150 RPI status. What do I know?
TallTexan
ljax1979 said:

Now that the NCAA has redefined what a quality win is I'm a little surprised that we aren't in more demand by the power 5 conference teams. Sure, there's a greater likelihood for us to beat a Power 5 team vs. the Incarnate Word/McNeese State's of the world but on a tournament resume a win against us would be counted as a much more impressive quality win due to our typically top 150 RPI status. What do I know?

I think it's the fact that we probably tend to play above whatever our RPI ranking is.
PurpleOut
Staff
I don't really care about a tournament in the Bahamas or whatever. Yeah it's cool for the kids to go I guess, but nobody will be in attendance and would be on some obscure TV network. That can be done much easier than having to spend time and money to travel like that. I don't really want to be in any of those types of tourneys unless it's something like the Pre-Season NIT or Maui Invitational. That Island of the Bahamas tournament is cool for a big Mid-Major fan like myself, but not many will watch it. Just not enough reward in my opinion to spend that much traveling and potentially hurt you in the games following.

Don't forget just 5-6 years ago we held the Etech Lumberjack Classic or whatever it was called. We had James Madison and Towson in town one year. I'm assuming the cost for us and those schools to come to Nac wasn't worth it to keep going.

Assuming one of those two games he mentioned is the La Tech game. That's going to be a big one, I hope we were able to schedule it when class is in session (although I doubt it).
TallTexan
I still want to see Under Armour's tourney, I think that would be worth it.
MasterAxe
Everyone makes great valid points.

I will still maintain that a school and program like us, who aims to be the next great up-and-coming Mid-Major has no place scheduling non D1 schools...let alone multiple.

I'm totally fine with never running the gauntlet of LeTourneau, Howard Payne and St. Edward's ever again.

Again, it's my opinion, but that's weak.

But, as many a have said, and rightly, we may not have a choice. Schedule must be filled and we, apparently, are having one hell of a time doing so.
SFASawmillGuy
MasterAxe said:

Everyone makes great valid points.

I will still maintain that a school and program like us, who aims to be the next great up-and-coming Mid-Major has no place scheduling non D1 schools...let alone multiple.

I'm totally fine with never running the gauntlet of LeTourneau, Howard Payne and St. Edward's ever again.

Again, it's my opinion, but that's weak.

But, as many a have said, and rightly, we may not have a choice. Schedule must be filled and we, apparently, are having one hell of a time doing so.
Completely agree. But as long as we're dominant and Nacogdoches is such a hassle to get to, these issues will continue. Still hope we can put together a respectable enough schedule that it'll help our seeding come March.
SFAJack_76
D1schools within four hour ride of Nacogdoches:

North Texas, SMU, TCU, Baylor, UT, Texas State (probably a little over four hours), TSU, PV, UH, Rice, UL, LaTech, UL Monroe, A&M, UTA. Miss any? How many non conference games do each of these play that are a longer trip than four hours, or less in many instances? Part of our issue is that for many of those, attendance would probably be about 2,500-3,500. If we get them to Nacogdoches, we need to fill the WRJ.

Logistics to Nacogdoches is a challenge, but largely an excuse. They won't play us in Nacogdoches because we are good. So, if we are bad they will come to Nacogdoches? Nope. Something else has to happen.

I am okay with up to two high level D2 or NAIA games early in the season or during Christmas break. It's the bad low level teams that get my ire. We get no benefit from 50 point wins.

The new AD must have contacts that he can work. Get innovative in scheduling and marketing. I do not want the entirety of the scheduling on Keller. He must be involved and in agreement, but I want him recruiting and coaching, not worrying about how to fill a home schedule with someone other than Arkansas Baptist and LeTourneau.

I don't have the answers. What is the SLC doing to improve the situation? What is the athletic and administrative leadership doing to improve the situation?
SFASawmillGuy
SFAJack_76 said:

D1schools within four hour ride of Nacogdoches:

North Texas, SMU, TCU, Baylor, UT, Texas State (probably a little over four hours), TSU, PV, UH, Rice, UL, LaTech, UL Monroe, A&M, UTA. Miss any? How many non conference games do each of these play that are a longer trip than four hours, or less in many instances? Part of our issue is that for many of those, attendance would probably be about 2,500-3,500. If we get them to Nacogdoches, we need to fill the WRJ.

Logistics to Nacogdoches is a challenge, but largely an excuse. They won't play us in Nacogdoches because we are good. So, if we are bad they will come to Nacogdoches? Nope. Something else has to happen.

I am okay with up to two high level D2 or NAIA games early in the season or during Christmas break. It's the bad low level teams that get my ire. We get no benefit from 50 point wins.

The new AD must have contacts that he can work. Get innovative in scheduling and marketing. I do not want the entirety of the scheduling on Keller. He must be involved and in agreement, but I want him recruiting and coaching, not worrying about how to fill a home schedule with someone other than Arkansas Baptist and LeTourneau.

I don't have the answers. What is the SLC doing to improve the situation? What is the athletic and administrative leadership doing to improve the situation?
Logistics to Nac is a very valid excuse. I think a big issue with scheduling these games isn't necessarily that we can't schedule them, it's that we can't schedule them at home. I'm sure UT would be all for us going to Austin to play them but they would never travel to Nac. They have nothing to gain by making that trip and everything to lose. If they beat us, they did what the entire country expected them to do, and if they lose, they just got upset by a mid major.

I use UT as an example but replace them with any power 5 school coming to Nac. What could they possibly gain by playing a solid mid major in front of a hostile crowd?

The other half of the power conference schools not scheduling us is kind of the same. If a team could benefit from playing us. we don't benefit much from playing them.

In a perfect world we schedule as many tournament teams as possible.
SFASawmillGuy
Teams don't relish the opportunity to play SFA. They want a top 25 team that everyone already knows will be in the elite 8, not a mid-major.
SfaTke596
Someone on this forum had a great idea a while back-

partnering up with UofH to have a two game agreement. The visiting team would fly into Houston and play U of H on Thursday and then head to Nac for a Saturday game....
djsfw57
I'm with you wholeheartedly. I HATE that we are forced to play non-Division 1 schools. It does us no good, that's for sure. Practice maybe, but that's not a good enough reason to keep doing it. Hope soon we can stop that nonsense.
SFA, Class of 1979
sfa17
I agree that no p5 team will play us in Nac (That is no surprise). And to be honest i dont think we have earned yet. It takes time and LONG tradition. Better teams than us still struggle getting home/home right now. But i also believe not too many p5 team will play us on their home either. Why risk playing us even at home, when you could just play a cupcake d1 or a mediocre P5 team. I think it looks worst to their fanbase to lose to SFA at home than even Rutgers. I still see fans calling us S.F Austin. Most of the good p5 team already will get good games in holiday tournament and when conference start. why play SFA even at home?. I don't think Keller has too many P5 teams knocking on his door to play SFA at home or even away.
TallTexan
Quote:

What is the SLC doing to improve the situation? What is the athletic and administrative leadership doing to improve the situation?

I've heard the SLC is trying to set up a conference challenge similar to what the Big12 and SEC do, but they need a willing partner first.
SFAJack_76
OU is gong to play at UTRGV. UNC is playing at Wofford and Elon. Wofford beat UNC last year at Chapel Hill.

It can be done.

MasterAxe
I'd be thrilled if we played Texas, Aggie, TCU, SMU, Tech, UH, Baylor on the road every year If it meant that I never saw the likes of UT-Tyler, LETU, NAIA, D-3 etc in Nac,

I simply see more value in playing major P5 on the road than I do non D-1 at home.

Cause I know were gonna give them hell wherever we play.
SFAJack_76
I would like a P5 conference school to come to Nacogdoches but agree that is a challenge. Of the D1 teams I listed, only four are P5 schools. There are 27 other D1 conferences to work with that are not the D2/D3/NAIA teams we end up with.

Relative to logistics being a home scheduling issue, over the last five years or so, what MBB teams have we talked to about coming to Nacogdoches that have said no due to logistics? I am curious about the quality and location of programs declining for this issue.

Since to and from Nacogdoches is a logistics issue, then from and to Nacogdoches must be an issue as well. Are the logistics issues keeping us from making quality mid major trips that might be reciprocated? If so, what is there that we are missing out on? If from/to Nacogdoches is not the same logistics issue as to/from, why not?

Football is obviously much more challenging to transport than basketball. In recent years, we have had teams from Utah, Arizona, and Montana play in Nacogdoches. Are the economics of football so much different than basketball in some way that the logistics issues is not as big a deal?

There is a lot of energy around improving facilities including basketball. Improved facilities should help recruiting and hopefully will help player development. I am curious how it might help scheduling issues? If the schedule does not improve, RPI does not improve due to strength of schedule, and attendance/donations likely do not improve. I agree with improving facilities, but what will the real payback be?

Seeking to learn.
tangerito
It's not logistics when you can't get an away game with these schools. Let's face it, P5 schools pad their non-conference schedules with patsy's so they go into conference with a winning record. They don't want to play someone who may beat them. And they especially don't want to come to a school that's lost so few home games. Although its great to hear the Texas Tech coach say that we were one of the best teams in the country, it has a negative effect on our scheduling. These coach's are judged on wins so its my bet we will be stuck where we were last year. I hope I'm wrong.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.