Thoughts for Next Year

80,878 Views | 318 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by sfa17
MasterAxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know...I hate thinking to next year. ">

First, what a job by the guys this year. As you know, I did not necessarily this this type of year was possible, but what a crazy ass ride it turned into.

So, now the hard part...how do we do it again? Couple of thoughts to explore:

ITEM #1 - REPLACEMENT OF SENIORS
Boy, we lost three good ones. Not just in statistical categories, but leadership. Who's the leader(s) next year?
Obviously, TJ and Shannon will be looked upon to do so, but is next year the "Harris breakout year we thought would might be this year?" It's my opinion that Leon may be the hardest to replace. Man, that guy did it all.

ITEM #2 - STATUS OF INCOMING GUYS
Let's projects a starting lineup: Aaron, Shannon, Kevon, TJ &...Sammi. Pretty solid.
Doesn't leave much on the bench, in terms of proven minutes. Comeaux is there, so PG is good. But, were gonna be thin everywhere else. So. the incoming guys may be thrown to the fire very quickly.

ITEM #3 - STATUS OF CURRENT PLAYERS
Kind of a two-fold idea. Who's leaving (cause someone always leaves) and can the current guys continue to develop? Can our PG's create some sort of threat shooting from outside? Will Kevon take "next step?" Same for Shannon and TJ. Will Sammi become anything offensively? If he even comes close to being a threat, we could have something.

ITEM#4 - COACHING STAFF
Obviously, I think Keller will be around. He proved his worth in getting better from year one to year two. However, assistants have so much influence as well. Are we going to be able to keep the staff together, if not, who do we lose. Continuity is huge.

Just some thoughts for next year.

One final item, season grade for this year? A

No A+, because we did FUBAR a few games we shouldnt have (ahem, Lamar x2)...and we saw how tough the 3 wins in 3 games is in the SLC tourney, so lets try and avoid that.

But, I don't know how we can't consider the season a success.

Obvious improvement? Check
Development of players? Check
Development on coaches? Check
Conference Championship? Check
NCAA appearance? Check
Continued growth of national image? Check

Now, let's do it again!

No-look
Canete leaving is going to leave a hole at PG position. Aaron and John with contribute greatly but one sprained ankle and you're down to one. Need a juco guard that can score to fill the gap. Need a ruthless big to found it out....Seraille and Hughes will be great but it may take a while to adjust to D1 play.
TallTexan
Glad you started this thread, I wanted to discuss it and was about to work on putting one together:

Here goes nothing:

From a coaching aspect: I think we're safe with Keller for this year, I think he'll stay. I hope that this offseason we can put some time in on shot selection. I'd love to see our team be as disciplined on offense as we are on defense. We take a lot of shots with no offensive rebounder anywhere near the paint and sometimes not even inside the three point line. Sometimes that's about clearing space, sometimes it's about us trying to take a bad shot.

I loved seeing our team get locked in on defense though, they gave Tech no quarter and that was fun to watch.

Recruiting: I trust Keller here in this regard. I'm not sure how many spots we have left outside of Hughes & Seraille, but I think looking for a Juco PG/SG & a JUCO or grad transfer big man would be really key pieces for this team. Sure, we can win the Southland without a true big who can battle inside, but Tourney games are when they'd really prove to be worth their weight in gold.

Individual improvements: If I had to pick an area for each guy to focus in the offseason, here's where I'd go:
  • TJ: Continue working on post play. He made some P6 guys looks silly this year, & continuing to refine that technique to play opposite a true big man would make those skills deadly:
  • Kevon: Torn here, but I'd focus on health. He showed signs of trying to take over at points this season, but mainly we need someone with his talent to stay healthy for an entire season. A true difference maker.
  • Augustin: Simple, shooting all day.
  • Comeaux: Same as Augustin. If both of these guys can add a more reliable 3 ball, we could have a really potent lineup both offensively & defensively.
  • Bogues: Keep doing what's working. He could probably round out his ballhandling skills to replace Canete as our flex PG. It would be another opportunity to keep his talent on the court.
  • Nieminen: You could go the strength route, but I think he might add more either working on shooting or technical post play skills.
  • Fisher: Weightroom all day. With another year to mature & add 15-20 pounds of muscle, with his height & athleticism, he could be a real force inside.
  • Gru: Same as Fisher, I think Gru's best contribution could come from being a stronger, more physical big man.
  • Bain: I haven't seen Bain enough to make a judgement, but shooting is the route I'd go. A taller SF could be a good complement to a lot of our lineups.

I'm so excited for next year though, & so proud of this year's team for battling through & making the tourney. A few things we learned:

• The SFA Basketball DNA has survived: That'll help with recruiting & seeding. That was a big question about the Coaching change, was whether this was a program or simply Underwood? The whole world knows what we knew all along.
  • This is a year you can build on from an attitude/toughness perspective.
  • Keller can recruit & coach in big games. Plus, you can see how much him and the whole family care about our team.

I'd also like to see our seniors get the chance to play at the next level overseas: Gilmore likely has the best chance due to his defensive prowess, but good luck to those guys in whatever they do. Thanks for helping build the program!
MasterAxe
TallTexan said:

Glad you started this thread, I wanted to discuss it and was about to work on putting one together:

Here goes nothing:

From a coaching aspect: I think we're safe with Keller for this year, I think he'll stay. I hope that this offseason we can put some time in on shot selection. I'd love to see our team be as disciplined on offense as we are on defense. We take a lot of shots with no offensive rebounder anywhere near the paint and sometimes not even inside the three point line. Sometimes that's about clearing space, sometimes it's about us trying to take a bad shot.

I loved seeing our team get locked in on defense though, they gave Tech no quarter and that was fun to watch.

Recruiting: I trust Keller here in this regard. I'm not sure how many spots we have left outside of Hughes & Seraille, but I think looking for a Juco PG/SG & a JUCO or grad transfer big man would be really key pieces for this team. Sure, we can win the Southland without a true big who can battle inside, but Tourney games are when they'd really prove to be worth their weight in gold.

Individual improvements: If I had to pick an area for each guy to focus in the offseason, here's where I'd go:
  • TJ: Continue working on post play. He made some P6 guys looks silly this year, & continuing to refine that technique to play opposite a true big man would make those skills deadly:
  • Kevon: Torn here, but I'd focus on health. He showed signs of trying to take over at points this season, but mainly we need someone with his talent to stay healthy for an entire season. A true difference maker.
  • Augustin: Simple, shooting all day.
  • Comeaux: Same as Augustin. If both of these guys can add a more reliable 3 ball, we could have a really potent lineup both offensively & defensively.
  • Bogues: Keep doing what's working. He could probably round out his ballhandling skills to replace Canete as our flex PG. It would be another opportunity to keep his talent on the court.
  • Nieminen: You could go the strength route, but I think he might add more either working on shooting or technical post play skills.
  • Fisher: Weightroom all day. With another year to mature & add 15-20 pounds of muscle, with his height & athleticism, he could be a real force inside.
  • Gru: Same as Fisher, I think Gru's best contribution could come from being a stronger, more physical big man.
  • Bain: I haven't seen Bain enough to make a judgement, but shooting is the route I'd go. A taller SF could be a good complement to a lot of our lineups.

I'm so excited for next year though, & so proud of this year's team for battling through & making the tourney. A few things we learned:

• The SFA Basketball DNA has survived: That'll help with recruiting & seeding. That was a big question about the Coaching change, was whether this was a program or simply Underwood? The whole world knows what we knew all along.
  • This is a year you can build on from an attitude/toughness perspective.
  • Keller can recruit & coach in big games. Plus, you can see how much him and the whole family care about our team.

I'd also like to see our seniors get the chance to play at the next level overseas: Gilmore likely has the best chance due to his defensive prowess, but good luck to those guys in whatever they do. Thanks for helping build the program!

Could not have said it better, well, maybe I could have, but what you said is exactly on point.

Excellent work.
SFASawmillGuy
I thnk we'll be fine everyone. TJ needs to get his attitude back and someone needs to step up at point guard. I'd also focus a lot on the 3 point game to replace Ivan but overall we know Kyle's gonna recruit well and this team is set up for success next season. I hope we get really good non conference games and win some national TV games.
In conference play we just gotta do what we do. Take care of business for 18 games and then again for 2 more. Get a high seed. Don't fear our tournament opponents.

Next season should be chasing history.
fortWorthJack
We are definitely losing some talent this year, but the core should still remain. I always thought that Keller's system needs some productive bodies in the paint. We desperately need more depth in the 4 and 5 spots. Sammy is okay but not a starter in my opinion. We also need to replace Ty Charles because guard play is so critical in the SLC. SFA has made its fame by strong guard play. Obviously we have already 2018-2019 set recruiting wise but I know very little about those guys.
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

I think on paper, Seraille is probably the best recruit we've ever signed. The next few years could be something special.
SDLJ
There will be less participation because of people on this blog.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

SFA_03 said:

I think on paper, Seraille is probably the best recruit we've ever signed. The next few years could be something special.

Don't cut Jock "Deuce" Hughes short (Yeah, Duece is what we need to get used to calling him. That's his nickname.). Do you know who their District's MVP was? Not Seraille, it was Hughes. Do you know who their District's Offensive MVP was? Yeah, Hughes, not Seraille. Over the last ten games or so he averaged about 30 ppg. I think he'll be the next Meech on shooting from outside, only better. Don't get me wrong. Mitch Seraille is a great talent. We're just blessed to get two excellent players from a great high school basketball program in Houston Yates.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SDLJ said:

Huh??? Translation, please.
MasterAxe
SDLJ said:

I think a lot of us would like some clarification on what you mean.

As in, what do you mean?
CottonValleyJack
What JUCO guys are on our radar? We need some guard depth!
SDLJ
No bother. It is actually worth while to have the sack to post things publicly though.
MasterAxe
SDLJ said:

No bother. It is actually worth while to have the sack to post things publicly though.

Ummm...ok.
TallTexan
CottonValleyJack said:

What JUCO guys are on our radar? We need some guard depth!

Anybody know how many open spots we have? Assuming we were at capacity, I'd think we'd have 4 schollies open( Gilmore, Canete, Charles, Mack). With our 2 signed recruits, I think that'd leave two schollies open.

If that's the case I'd look at JUCO or grad transfer PG and bigs. Or if we can land Likekele, then just a transfer big.
No-look
Didn't Mack leaving open up a spot?
SFAXE93

Umm about that football.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

Umm about that football.
Bohls is an idiot.
SFASawmillGuy
SFAJack_76 said:

SFAXE93 said:

Umm about that football.
Bohls is an idiot.

Let us have this.
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

Umm about that football.
Have you seen Longhorns football? We're not that far off.
sfa17
TallTexan said:

Have you seen Longhorns football? We're not that far off.
Have you seen Kansas Football.

Sfa to Big 12 wouldn't happen in a million years. But I can still dream
I would love something like the American conference ... even that's a bit of a stretch
Cusa is more possible but I'm not sold on a move. I don't think It would benefit basketball that much. It is
Still a one bid league with tougher competition. And our seeds wouldn't be any better than we have previously
Gotten. 12 -15. It would just make it harder to get to Ncaa and our fanbase wouldn't really know the difference
Between Middle Tennessee State and Mcneese. I would love to play MTSU but if at the end of the day it lowers our Odds of wining conference tourney. Idk
MasterAxe
I think the only way to consider moving conferences is if you thought it helped you as an at-large candidate.

It's why Wichita left the Valley.

Moving to C-USA doesn't help us do that.

MTSU gets jobbed every year, and if they can't get in at 28-5 (ish) in CUSA, no one is.
PurpleOut
Staff
No substance to this, but I'd be in for taking a look at Danny Garrick. 6-6 JUCO guard that just decommited from Nicholls. Say what you want about Nicholls, but Richie Riley was a great recruiter and this kid looks like he could fit in our system. Reminds me of a smaller Keith Van Horn.

SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

No substance to this, but I'd be in for taking a look at Danny Garrick. 6-6 JUCO guard that just decommited from Nicholls. Say what you want about Nicholls, but Richie Riley was a great recruiter and this kid looks like he could fit in our system. Reminds me of a smaller Keith Van Horn.

Good catch, Purple. Very smooth. Sort of "Tom Walkupish". Are you seeing this, Coach K? Coach Cox?
TallTexan
edstile said:

PurpleOut said:

Good catch, Purple. Very smooth. Sort of "Tom Walkupish". Are you seeing this, Coach K? Coach Cox?
For the record, Isaac provides a daily briefing to the coaching staff and AD of all the brilliant stuff we come up with.
SFAXE93
We save jobs.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

edstile said:

PurpleOut said:

For the record, Isaac provides a daily briefing to the coaching staff and AD of all the brilliant stuff we come up with.
I know you're joking, but that would definitely be the right thing to do if Isaac truly cares for us (which I just know you do, right Isaac??), even if it means slipping little notes under their office doors each morning.
No-look
TallTexan said:

edstile said:

PurpleOut said:

Did they get the memo about needing to sign those two guards from Silsbee?
SFA Jack Fanatic
If Coach K and Coach Beard of Tech are such "good friends", then why doesn't Coach K's "good friend" bring his little team to Nac this Fall to face the 2018-2019 version of the Jacks?

We already know the answer, and it has nothing to do with the travel. It's the same reason that A&M, UT, UH, SMU, and TCU won't come here.

Here, chicky, chicky.....
PurpleOut
Staff
You never know, I think a lot of people forget that Texas Tech came to Nacogdoches in 2009 (a game we should have won).

A little different now, a greater chance that they would lose makes it harder to get a bigger school here.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

You never know, I think a lot of people forget that Texas Tech came to Nacogdoches in 2009 (a game we should have won).

A little different now, a greater chance that they would lose makes it harder to get a bigger school here.
Yep, I think if anyone would come back, it might be Tech. Texas & A&M wouldn't take that chance.

What about scheduling SMU, UNT, Houston, or Baylor? Would they be willing to come to our place ever? Heck, for Houston and Baylor I'd give them a 3 home 1 away deal.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

Yep, I think if anyone would come back, it might be Tech. Texas & A&M wouldn't take that chance.

What about scheduling SMU, UNT, Houston, or Baylor? Would they be willing to come to our place ever? Heck, for Houston and Baylor I'd give them a 3 home 1 away deal.
UNT came to Nac in 2014 and we pretty handily destroyed them. SMU would be a very doable and probably highly publicized mid major matchup. Probably get some TV exposure for that Home-Home. U of H is doable too but with their aspirations to go to the Big 12, they may not want to risk losing too many mid-major games.

I think the only way we get a high major school to come play in Nac is if there was national TV exposure in it for them. When Wichita State was doing phenomenally well that's how they got their home-home with OKST. We just need to keep improving to the point that we can give other schools a reason to make that trip.
PurpleOut
Staff
Remember we get LaTech at home next year. Our scheduling is much better than it was when I was a student in the Kaspar days. I think we need to keep getting the bigger Mid-Major matchups like we have with LaTech and UAB. Like UTA, ULL, Little Rock, SMU, etc. The problem those is that even if those are going to be really big and good games, the majority of our fan base won't know the difference.

As well as work on our relationship with the community and overall East Texas area. What would it take to improve the airport outside of Nac to get smaller planes in for better travel options?
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

Remember we get LaTech at home next year. Our scheduling is much better than it was when I was a student in the Kaspar days. I think we need to keep getting the bigger Mid-Major matchups like we have with LaTech and UAB. Like UTA, ULL, Little Rock, SMU, etc. The problem those is that even if those are going to be really big and good games, the majority of our fan base won't know the difference.

As well as work on our relationship with the community and overall East Texas area. What would it take to improve the airport outside of Nac to get smaller planes in for better travel options?

I believe the city has applied for a federal grant to update/upgrade the old airport. It was not deemed necessary. That was years ago. What I don't understand is why there is a facility between lufkin and Diboll. If it was between Lufkin and Nacogdoches it would get three times the use and potentially justify two or three flights a week.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFASawmillGuy
BigJack85 said:

PurpleOut said:

I believe the city has applied for a federal grant to update/upgrade the old airport. It was not deemed necessary. That was years ago. What I don't understand is why there is a facility between lufkin and Diboll. If it was between Lufkin and Nacogdoches it would get three times the use and potentially justify two or three flights a week.

I think having a small commercial airport like they have in Tyler in between Nac and Lufkin would be amazing for the growth of Nacogdoches as well as being that little bit of an extra push to get more consistent strong opponents to come play us.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.