2019-2020 NCAA Basketball

61,597 Views | 309 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by nacluth
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TallTexan said:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2020/3/17/21182793/ncaa-tournament-financial-impact-a10-wcc-college-basketball

Great read. Thanks for sharing, Texan.
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

Next year should be another stellar season for SFA. And then things get interesting. Multiple players will graduate. And Keller and crew will have to pull off another miracle at the recruiting store. If Keller moves on after next year I hope he has a solid group intact. I really hope he stays for a while.

When we lose Keller, and we probably will, maybe a soon as after next season (don't kill me for saying that), I'd like to see Coach Cox get elevated to the head job. He would deserve it, IMO. He's an excellent hands-on coach and a "players' coach".
Pilotgirl
I agree
nacluth
No bueno for Wade. He stuck to his guns against LSU, but it may not pay off now.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/new-hbo-doc-provides-audio-of-will-wade-sean-miller-talking-about-pay-for-play-schemes-in-college-basketball/
TallTexan
I don't think we could go wrong with either Cox or Mason. We have one of the best staffs in the country, probably top 25.
BigJack85
The Will Wade thing is about to get interesting. Very interesting.
PurpleOut
Staff
sfa17
Wow didn't know.
sfa17
TallTexan
sfa17 said:

They're gonna regret that when they've got to fire him in 2 years.
No-look
TallTexan said:

sfa17 said:

They're gonna regret that when they've got to fire him in 2 years.
A love gone wrong. It will make a nice country song.
TallTexan
This is going to be a huge haircut for a lot of schools.

Tbh, I'm not sure the Southland survives this intact.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

This is going to be a huge haircut for a lot of schools.

Tbh, I'm not sure the Southland survives this intact.
Fundraising gets even more important. Agree that some SLC schools will be seriously challenged. We will need to support SFA as best we each can.
BigJack85
FCS schools and lower tier FBS schools (La Monroe, UMass , etc.) are going to need to look closely at whether or not football is sustainable as it is currently configured. My thoughts for FCS and D2 is lower the number of scholarships from 63 to 45 FCS and D2 from 37 to maybe 23. Make 9 games a full schedule for FCS and D2. I know the tomatoes (or worse) are going to fly at the thought but it is clearly not sustainable and C-19 will add to the deficits.
TallTexan
I'd tier it this way.

FBS: more than 40k fans per game.

FCS: 50 scholarships(divideable like baseball) , 10 games per season, more than 5k fans per game.

D2/D3 everyone else.
BigJack85
Ok. Keep in mind that if there is ANY movement, they will likely try to work within the existing framework. I doubt there's any real serious changes made. The slow bleed will continue and schools like SFA and Sam tend to do most of the bleeding.
TallTexan
Don't have access to the article, but the tweets say a lot.

This is going to be bad in the Southland. Programs will be cut.
wahlwesle
While I agree that this will have a significant short term impact (already has), I think everyone is ignoring the ability of the general public to forget once something falls out of the media/spotlight (and it will). If people want something (and people really want college sports), they will find a way to get it regardless of the past.
TallTexan
I don't doubt that people will return to watching college sports. In fact, we may see a slight bump initially.

But on the other hand, how many of the Southland teams can survive a 30% revenue cut?

We already werent making money. And now the Universities are refunding 50% of room & board fees in addition to less sports revenue.

There are gonna be some big cuts if suddenly budget holes of tens of millions of dollars are showing up at schools.
wahlwesle
No argument about the Southland. My comment was more geared toward everyone saying life will be so much different after all of this is over. I tend to think it will pretty much go back to normal after all this is over, at least to the everyday person. The quote in the first tweet "I think every facet of society is going to change as a result of this" is a little over dramatic in my opinion.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

This is going to be bad in the Southland. Programs will be cut.

I think about Nicholls State, which already couldn't afford to send some teams to playoffs.
BigJack85
wahlwesle said:

No argument about the Southland. My comment was more geared toward everyone saying life will be so much different after all of this is over. I tend to think it will pretty much go back to normal after all this is over, at least to the everyday person. The quote in the first tweet "I think every facet of society is going to change as a result of this" is a little over dramatic in my opinion.

I fit into this line of thinking. I recall the last big baseball labor dispute. After the strike ended baseball was pronounced "dead" many times by numerous outlets. Baseball is as big as it's been in 30-40 years. Having some of the most profitable years in the last decade. Things will come back. The issue is broader than the virus. Structurally college athletics is unsound for all but the biggest schools. The Power 5 will likely break away from the NCAA in football. Either that or a less "even" spread of the wealth will be demanded. Leaving all but the giants grasping for air.
TallTexan
wahlwesle said:

Ya, I think there will probably be some big structural changes, but we'll still have college sports, people will return to college, etc.
TallTexan
Ya I won't be surprised to see the P5 split off for football.

And honestly, it's probably for the best. There's no reason that Rice/UNT should be trying to get in arms races with schools pulling down 100 million a year.

It'll probably make the FCS/G5 merger more interesting football to be honest.
SFA Jack Fanatic
UT fires WBB coach Karen Aston (with a 184-83 record there, including four Sweet 16's and one Elite 8) and keeps rolling out Shaka Smart. Really, UT??
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

UT fires WBB coach Karen Aston (with a 184-83 record there, including four Sweet 16's and one Elite 8) and keeps rolling out Shaka Smart. Really, UT??
Aston's contract expires so costs nothing. Smart's buyout is about $10 million. Even at UT, $10 million is a lot of money. Smart was a bad hire. His time to go will come.

And, Aston was 1-18 against Baylor, with no signs that it was going to get better.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Aston's contract expires so costs nothing. Smart's buyout is about $10 million. Even at UT, $10 million is a lot of money. Smart was a bad hire. His time to go will come.

And, Aston was 1-18 against Baylor, with no signs that it was going to get better.

Yes, I'm aware that it was the Baylor matchups that got her dumped. But if the suits at UT are so darned smart then why did they give Smart a $10 million buyout in the first place? He has never done anything to deserve such a perk. (Not arguing with you, Just commenting on the stupidity of people who have more money at their disposal than common sense.)
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Yes, I'm aware that it was the Baylor matchups that got her dumped. But if the suits at UT are so darned smart then why did they give Smart a $10 million buyout in the first place? He has never done anything to deserve such a perk. (Not arguing with you, Just commenting on the stupidity of people who have more money at their disposal than common sense.)
Agree with the stupidity. Remember that CDC did not hire Smart, nor give him the contract extension. CDC inherited a mess of an athletic department his predecessors left. Similar to a situation we are much closer to, just on a different scale.
TallTexan
UT does really, really dumb extensions for men's sports.

Perrin gave Shaka an extension after year 1 for making the NCAA tourney.

CDC gave Herman an extension after a year two Sugar bowl.

On the other hand, it looks like Aston got her extension after 3 straight sweet 16s.

One of the worst things about being a UT fan is that we pretend we're the greatest Athletic department in the country, then bid against ourselves to re-sign our coaches like we're some stepping stone G5 school.
TallTexan
This is big news.

nacluth
To be honest, with the unknown regarding college sports right now, a paycheck now means a lot. Why the G-league isn't actively recruiting kids more is I can only assume a general nod to the "one and done" gentlemen's agreement.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.