2019-2020 NCAA Basketball

62,535 Views | 309 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by nacluth
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Utah at UCLA with Pauley Pavilion maybe 20% full. Announcers talking about how nice the weather is so there is just so much to do outside compared to the rest of the country. Perhaps it could be bad basketball?
sfa17
Shaka on the hot seat
"Smart will have as many March Madness misses in five seasons (three) as Tom Penders and Rick Barnes had combined in their 27 basketball seasons on the Forty Acres"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-basketball-Shaka-Smart-coaching-hot-seats-NCAA-Tournament--144012171/Amp/

SFASawmillGuy
sfa17 said:

Shaka on the hot seat
"Smart will have as many March Madness misses in five seasons (three) as Tom Penders and Rick Barnes had combined in their 27 basketball seasons on the Forty Acres"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-basketball-Shaka-Smart-coaching-hot-seats-NCAA-Tournament--144012171/Amp/

Unfortunately some coaches can be great at the mid major level and not at a school like Texas. Same goes in all sports. When you're used to doing things a certain way and getting certain recruits, you have to make changes when you go somewhere else for it to work.

Look at BU. He learned he couldn't win with Illinois coaching them like he coached SFA, but he adjusted and now they're winning.

In a lot of ways that's how tall a good coach from a great coach. Can they maintain success at a new school with new challenges.
SFAJack_76
Smart had the Cinderella run to the final four in 2013 after finishing 12-6 in conference. He has never won a conference championship, including his six years at VCU. His best season at UT was his first with Barnes' players. He was a bad hire.
SFASawmillGuy
Good to know. I actually didn't know about his lack of success at VCU.
nacluth
Zags down by 9 at the half to San Francisco. They have only scored 22 points. Yikes.

Edit: nevermind. In the first 10 minutes of the second they went on a 26-4 run.
sfa17
Yeah, Shaka is a good coach but just might not be a great one. He did go to the ncaa tourney 5 of the 6 years he was at VCU and won 26 plus games every season. Mid major to low P5 may be his level.
SFAJack_76
nacluth
Baylor/Kansas was pretty good. Baylor couldn't hit a free throw down the stretch and it cost them the comeback. Hopefully we avoid Kansas' pod
SFA Jack Fanatic
Down goes #4 San Diego State 66-63 to UNLV. No more undefeateds.
nacluth
7 ranked teams lost today. It's not final yet, but if BYU holds on, it will be three of the top 5.
djsfw57
And 3 of Joe Lunardi's #1 seeds lost yesterday: Baylor, Gonzaga, and San Diego State all went down. And though we don't need any proof that the system is using different standards for different schools, I read on CBS Sports that they project San Diego State will hang on to their #1 seed. If a mid major lost, it would drop without question. And if it lost to a team with a record of .500, (UNLV, 14-14/9-6 before the game), a mid major would drop many spots. Yet SDSU can lose and not have it affect them. Yeah, that's fair and equitable. NOT.
SFA Jack Fanatic
djsfw57 said:

And 3 of Joe Lunardi's #1 seeds lost yesterday: Baylor, Gonzaga, and San Diego State all went down. And though we don't need any proof that the system is using different standards for different schools, I read on CBS Sports that they project San Diego State will hang on to their #1 seed. If a mid major lost, it would drop without question. And if it lost to a team with a record of .500, (UNLV, 14-14/9-6 before the game), a mid major would drop many spots. Yet SDSU can lose and not have it affect them. Yeah, that's fair and equitable. NOT.

And SDSU doesn't even play in a strong conference. In fact, it's a pretty weak one for basketball. I never understood how they were ranked so high to begin with. Go figure....
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

djsfw57 said:

And SDSU doesn't even play in a strong conference. In fact, it's a pretty weak one for basketball. I never understood how they were ranked so high to begin with. Go figure....
The Mountain West is tenth of 32 conferences in RPI with five teams in the top one hundred. I would not call it a weak basketball conference.
SFAJack_76
djsfw57 said:

Gonzaga lost. Gonzaga is a mid major. Gonzaga will get a one seed unless they lose another game.
djsfw57
SFAJack_76 said:

djsfw57 said:

Gonzaga lost. Gonzaga is a mid major. Gonzaga will get a one seed unless they lose another game.
Technically they are a mid major, but I don't believe they are viewed as such. They certainly aren't treated like the vast majority of mid majors.
cboothe09
Mitch Serraile is joining Jock at Prarie View A&M. He committed about an hour ago...Good for him. I wish him well

Pilotgirl
Texas Tech has played awful against Oklahoma tonight.

And Duke lost to Wake Forest.
Pilotgirl
Duke lost again. And Tech lost to Texas?! How??
SFASawmillGuy
You really gotta feel for TJ. Tech went from being in the national title last season to having a pretty average season. I wonder if there are any regrets to transferring.

If we somehow got matched up against them in the tournament this year I'd say we could beat them easy.
nacluth
Yeah it was a bad loss yesterday, but they were #22 going into the match. They have been ranked more than half the year and still expected to go beyond the Sweet 16. Of course he does have to wear red.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Yeah it was a bad loss yesterday, but they were #22 going into the match. They have been ranked more than half the year and still expected to go beyond the Sweet 16. Of course he does have to wear red.
Tech is still 23 in NET. This is a team that could go far, or lose in the first round. Statistically, TJ has had an underwhelming year, averaging 8.8 ppg, and 4.7 rebounds per game. His shooting percentage is really good. He just doesn't take many shots.
wahlwesle
nacluth said:

Of course he does have to wear red.
Better than orange.
SFAJack_76
Nebraska 8-30 today in an OT loss to Northwestern.
SFA Jack Fanatic
How many bricks did our former short-term Lumberjack contribute?
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

How many bricks did our former short-term Lumberjack contribute?
0-3
SFAJack_76
From hot seat to penthouse.
cboothe09
Baylor and Tech tipping off now. TJ not starting for the first time this season...

Baylor's uniforms are pretty sweet tonight.
Pilotgirl
cboothe09 said:

Baylor and Tech tipping off now. TJ not starting for the first time this season...

Baylor's uniforms are pretty sweet tonight.

Yup...I'm watching and saw that. He can be explosive off if he wants.
SFAJack_76
TJ with two points, two fouls, two turnovers, zero rebounds in the first half.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

From hot seat to penthouse.

That's a bold strategy. Like who was gonna hire him away? You don't even wait til the tourney?
nacluth
Tight game at the end of the Tech/Baylor game. Honestly, not good for SFA's ranking chances if Tech wins.
BigJack85
Michigan UCLA Arizona and Butler all have tough matchups this week. I predict 3-4 teams north of SFA lose. We win 2.... odds would be 50/50 that we are ranked. I think.
cboothe09
Texas State vs. South Alabama

Danny Kaspar vs. Richie Riley

ESPN+
cboothe09
This Texas State game is fun. South Alabama opened the game on a 12-0 run. Texas State now on a 18-2 run over the last six minutes...South Alabama hasn't scored in five minutes...Bobcats leading 21-17 at the U8

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.