2019-2020 NCAA Basketball

62,451 Views | 309 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by nacluth
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA Jack Fanatic
I attended Saturday's game vs. ULM, and on the drive home yesterday I was listening to the University of Houston's radio coverage of the UH-Oklahoma State game. I think I've discovered a guy who is actually a worse color commentator than Van Chancellor, if that's possible.

Elvin Hayes, the UH Hall of Famer, sounded like someone they grabbed out of the stands at the last minute to do the color. He was an all-time great hoopster but is a horrific radio guy. Move over, Van Chancellor. You've been knocked down to 2nd place in the announcing Hall of Shame.
SFAJack_76
Not good.
Pilotgirl
Uh oh....
nacluth
This seems consistent with the sentiment today.

sfa17
i haven't been following Illinois is BU in the hot seat?
cboothe09
Past hot. I think he is gone after this season.
SFAJack_76
cboothe09 said:

38 NET before the Missouri loss. 1-2 against top 25 teams. One of those losses was by 1 at Maryland.

I think it might be premature to write him off.
nacluth
His NET rating is due to taking down #5 Michigan mainly. He has pulled off one big win each year, but his motion offense has turned into tons of L's the last couple of years. If he can't break .500 for the third year in a row (counting a bunch of cupcake non conference teams), then he's going to be gone.
Pilotgirl
Is Jock Hughes still at Prairie View? Didnt see him on roster...a tweet of his came across my feed so was interested in how the season was going for him. His twitter pic is still SFA.
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

Is Jock Hughes still at Prairie View? Didnt see him on roster...a tweet of his came across my feed so was interested in how the season was going for him. His twitter pic is still SFA.
He would have to redshirt, so he wouldn't be playing. I don't know if they ever had him on their roster. Their site is not very helpful. I don't think he ever changed his Twitter pic.
Pilotgirl
Ahhh yes, that's right. So many NCAA transfers were approved so I thought his might be as well.
SFAJack_76
Memphis 97
UNO 55

Marquette 106
UCA 54
nacluth
Just checked. Duke 83 SFA 85.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Marquette 106
UCA 54

So, Marquette beat "SLC co-leader" UCA by 52? Sounds about right.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I attended the University of Houston vs. Central Florida game on Friday night. UH is ranked in the Top 25. I guarantee you, SFA can beat UH, even if we played at Fertitta Center in Houston.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I attended the University of Houston vs. Central Florida game on Friday night. UH is ranked in the Top 25. I guarantee you, SFA can beat UH, even if we played at Fertitta Center in Houston.

If we are healthy (able to go 10 deep) I think we can beat a lot of teams ...... we have a really productive bench.
nacluth
Baylor vs Tech has been a snoozer. 21-18 at the half.
BigJack85
Watching St. Joseph's and Davidson.... what a game. Nice but weird 3 pointer to take it to overtime. Question? How do 2 teams that are near the bottom of their league get tv time in the middle of a Saturday afternoon? Only because they are in the A-10. We need a new conference or more possible a "reformed" Southland.
nacluth
That Kansas/K State fight was unbelievable. De Souza - who was suspended all last year because of an FBI investigation and only got to play this year because Kansas appealed on his behalf - throws punches and picks up a chair?!? Wouldn't be surprised if that's his last game ever. Stupidity could destroy a whole season if not careers. Still shaking my head.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

That Kansas/K State fight was unbelievable. De Souza - who was suspended all last year because of an FBI investigation and only got to play this year because Kansas appealed on his behalf - throws punches and picks up a chair?!? Wouldn't be surprised if that's his last game ever. Stupidity could destroy a whole season if not careers. Still shaking my head.

Yeah, he's finished. There will be multiple serious penalties for both teams coming out of this. Ugly.
PurpleOut
Staff
Not a pretty night last night.

nacluth
Yeah he's going to get a couple games off. Like a full moon or something.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Missouri hit 23 straight FT's before missing one last night vs. A&M. Add that to the 31 straight that they had made vs. Alabama over the weekend and you have an NCAA record 54 straight, breaking Wake Forest's record of 50.

Can you imagine what kind of season we could have if the Jacks could come anywhere close to having a free throw shooting team like that? As someone likes to say on here, "Free throws are free. Make them!"
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Missouri hit 23 straight FT's before missing one last night vs. A&M. Add that to the 31 straight that they had made vs. Alabama over the weekend and you have an NCAA record 54 straight, breaking Wake Forest's record of 50.

Can you imagine what kind of season we could have if the Jacks could come anywhere close to having a free throw shooting team like that? As someone likes to say on here, "Free throws are free. Make them!"
We need to hire their free throw coach.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Kansas Suspends Silvio De Sousa Following Brawl

• The Jayhawks forward has been suspended indefinitely for his prominent role in the team's Tuesday night brawl with Kansas State, in which De Sousa threw several punches and lifted a stool over his head with apparent intentions to hit someone with it, before dropping it.
  • De Sousa was the only player in the game to receive a technical foul, though multiple players were ejected from the bench. No other suspensions have been announced.
  • "I have suspended Silvio De Sousa indefinitely pending the final outcome of the review by KU and the Big 12 Conference," Kansas coach Bill Self said in a statement.
nacluth
Yeah this suspension is just the "hey we know what's coming" reaction. It means nothing in the face of what will be handed down.
djsfw57
He was suspended for 12 games. Should have been out for the season, but you knew Self wouldn't do that.
SFA, Class of 1979
SFAJack_76
#24 Rutgers loses a tough one at #19 Iowa 85-80.
tangerito
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/court-report-illinois-is-ncaa-tournament-bound-because-brad-underwood-admitted-defeat-and-changed-his-style/?fbclid=IwAR2BfoS5s6DlnlVFdzxqwatVJgWTRrkjwRt_qE7WFS7wJBr7qCEfN17h1WI
nacluth
My thoughts exactly. I know I've said it before, but his SFA style of play wasn't going to translate to the Big Ten. Interesting to read how dramatic the transition is.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

My thoughts exactly. I know I've said it before, but his SFA style of play wasn't going to translate to the Big Ten. Interesting to read how dramatic the transition is.

Underwood's comments in this article about his first two seasons at Illinois sound like a carbon copy of SFA's methodology now.
nacluth
Well, Underwood plays a "position-less" guard based motion offense with a tight man to man defense. His offense in the BIG10 couldn't compete with the talent game in and game out.

Keller has modified his true "high-low" offense to account for the fact that the Southland doesn't recruit dominant bigs well. It's true we're fouling at a prodigious rate and it needs to be controlled, but our style of play is better at evening the foul situation than Underwood's method.

Like Underwood showed though, that different style of defense can upend tougher teams in the tournament.
SFASawmillGuy
cboothe09 said:

This didn't age well.
SFAJack_76
Big Ten basketball is outstanding. The arenas, the crowds, the play on the court. If you haven't, watch some games. Fun.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.