2019-2020 NCAA Basketball

62,461 Views | 309 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by nacluth
jboy93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFA_03 said:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28885422/ncaa-says-tournament-go-fans

EVERYONE READ THE LAST PARAGRAPH OF THIS STORY.
Ed, no one listens to sane people like me and you!
TallTexan
jboy93 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFA_03 said:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28885422/ncaa-says-tournament-go-fans

EVERYONE READ THE LAST PARAGRAPH OF THIS STORY.
Ed, no one listens to sane people like me and you!

This virus has a death rate of about 0.7%, or 7 times higher than the flu. For folks over 70, it's 3 times higher than that. Over 80, 6 times higher, or approximately 1 death out of every 25 if I did the math right.

That's a lot of folks for an illness that no one has any natural immunity to.
Ljacks&Longnecks
While the last paragraph says most people would have milder symptoms and recover that would not be true of the elderly with other health issues (my 89 yr old dad and wife"s parents would be unlikely to survive) and beyond that....if in pandemic form 30, 40, 50 million Americans had it at the same time, the medical system would be near collapse...where would the numbers come from to care for that many ill?
This is what I read and hear from medical experts and especially epidemiologists, I go with them over politicians.
TallTexan
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

While the last paragraph says most people would have milder symptoms and recover that would not be true of the elderly with other health issues (my 89 yr old dad and wife"s parents would be unlikely to survive) and beyond that....if in pandemic form 30, 40, 50 million Americans had it at the same time, the medical system would be near collapse...where would the numbers come from to care for that many ill?
This is what I read and hear from medical experts and especially epidemiologists, I go with them over politicians.

Ya it presents huge risks if allowed to spiral out of control. Not only is it dangerous to the elderly and immune compromised, but overwhelming the hospital system(which is surprisingly easy) will bump up the death rate for other hospital visits.

And the reason to stop crowds from attending is due to herd immunity. It's not for the healthy of our society, it's because we can all be carriers that can give it to people who won't survive.

And with a two week incubation period, a person with Corona could transmit it for days without knowing they have it.
nacluth
I wonder if someone like Kevon can benefit from a TV only tournament. Walkup of course became a star during his weekend of fame, but it really impacted those who were there. If everyone is a TV viewer will it help individuals from small schools to get more talk time on air?

Definitely a negative to not have a fan feel, but is there a positive?
Ljacks&Longnecks
Don't know about Kevon getting more attention but the fan ban could certainly hurt some of the lower seeds and teams like SFA. When the arena is full of fans from several teams , many times the crowd will focus in on supporting underdogs. I think that was definitely true when SFA beat VCU and again West Virginia that most of the crowd rallied to our side. Not to say there won't still be upsets but that roaring momentum of a crowd will be missing.
wahlwesle
On the flip side, we are used to playing to small crowds. Maybe we would have an advantage over other teams that aren't?
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut
Staff
Pilotgirl
Bahaha
nacluth
Seems the logical step after getting kicked off your team.
nacluth
Just to be clear, Rutgers still hasn't qualified for the NCAA tournament since 1991.
cboothe09
VERY interesting coaching change. Dan Majerle was fired by GCU. Was wondering when this shoe would finally drop...Very attractive job
SFAJack_76
wahlwesle
Maybe...just maybe.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/28898928/ncaa-discuss-granting-athletes-eligibility-relief
SFAJack_76
SFASawmillGuy
The NCAA may still have selection Sunday.
SFASawmillGuy
It's says it would only affect spring sports. So basketball would still be the same.
djsfw57
March Madness is without a doubt my favorite time of the year. When I was living in Texas, my brother-in-law and I would spend the entire 2 weeks watching 1 game after another, regardless of who was playing. Everyone knew not to bother calling, because neither of us would answer the phone. I'm like a lost little lamb without my basketball. I honestly don't know what I will do over the next couple of weeks - other than be depressed.
wahlwesle
SFA_03 said:

It's says it would only affect spring sports. So basketball would still be the same.
Word was that they were considering winter sports. I haven't heard anything else today, so I don't know if they are still discussing or if it is just holes and dreams.
sfa17
nacluth
Well um good for them?
CertifiedAxeman98
What is interesting about this is his salary is about $1.1M. On average MAAC coaches get paid $500K. If the Southland wants to get serious about basketball they need to increase the amount they pay their coaches. I still shake my head knowing that Nicholls coach gets paid $95K. The first chance he gets to jump he's gone.
Pilotgirl
I think keller stays another year at two. If we had made a run in the tourney, he may have had an offer. He's gonna have to prove himself....again.
nacluth
Yeah, I don't think there were the jobs he wanted open, but I think no tournament is going to keep the offers down for now.
cboothe09
We get another year with Keller. After that I am terrified of Oklahoma State knocking on our door...Again...
SFAJack_76
cboothe09 said:

We get another year with Keller. After that I am terrified of Oklahoma State knocking on our door...Again...
Agree that OSU is a real possibility with another poor year there. Keller, of course, has a real emotional tie.
SFAJack_76
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

What is interesting about this is his salary is about $1.1M. On average MAAC coaches get paid $500K. If the Southland wants to get serious about basketball they need to increase the amount they pay their coaches. I still shake my head knowing that Nicholls coach gets paid $95K. The first chance he gets to jump he's gone.
Nicholls having the success they have in basketball and football while having no money, is interesting. They are not the only SLC school in that situation, just the worst of the bunch.
SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

If we have the kind of season that I think we will, he just may be off to Okie State. But there would be some great coaches lined up to take his place. We are a premier mid-major program. As they say, "It's a blessing and a curse".
sfa17
Yea, i don't think Keller is going anywhere next season. It's do or die for mike boynton. They got the #1 player in the country and a top 10 recruiting class. If he doesn't make the tourney and at least win a game he is gone.

okstate to hire another one of our coach... that would be interesting.if they had payed BU they would be in a better position now.

We probably could have any top assistant coach in country when Keller leaves.
BigJack85
Anyone know if there is a buyout clause? It has become more common for a buyout clause to be inserted that includes a compensatory sum for the institution.
CertifiedAxeman98
cboothe09 said:

Agreed 100%
No-look
Next year should be another stellar season for SFA. And then things get interesting. Multiple players will graduate. And Keller and crew will have to pull off another miracle at the recruiting store. If Keller moves on after next year I hope he has a solid group intact. I really hope he stays for a while.
cboothe09
Former VALPO and Vanderbilt HC Bryce Drew gets the nod at Grand Canyon. Underwhelming hire...
TallTexan
https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2020/3/17/21182793/ncaa-tournament-financial-impact-a10-wcc-college-basketball

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.