2019-2020 NCAA Basketball

61,608 Views | 309 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by nacluth
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?

SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

I don't know whether to smile or cry. Think I'll cry....
SFAJack_76
Reuniting.
Pilotgirl
Haymon leaving SFA to coach at LATech ...
SFAJack_76
Meaningless exhibition or ... Holyfield 2-6 with 3 rebounds.
TallTexan
I wouldn't pay much attention to an exhibition, especially not one after a year long injury, but if it turns out that Beard recruited TJ to be a hit player I will steal every tree in Lubbock.
SFAJack_76
Underwood comes on at about 7:00.
BigJack85
If things don't work out at Illinois I'd pull out the money to get a plane chartered to fly and retrieve him!
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

If things don't work out at Illinois I'd pull out the money to get a plane chartered to fly and retrieve him!
His current salary is $2.85 million with a max bonus of $900 k. Just so you know the price range.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

His current salary is $2.85 million with a max bonus of $900 k. Just so you know the price range.

Darn, going to have to work another couple years.... LOL. Wow. They're paying him well.
Pilotgirl
Peep the Purple tie on TJ....I am so proud of him getting loys of attention!
https://instagr.am/p/B4BfUNVhw2q
SFA Jack Fanatic
Preseason #4 Duke barely beat D-II Northwest Missouri State by six points in their first exhibition game at Cameron Indoor yesterday. Duke shot 42.2% from the floor and 12.5% from three. NW Missouri shot lights out from three and had three players in double digits.

NW Missouri went 38-0 last year and won their 2nd D-II national championship in the last three years, and they've won 100 of their last 105 games. They're no slouches.

But... This shows that Duke and their young freshmen can be beaten....
BigJack85
Let's beat Letourneau. Go team go.
cboothe09
Any idea on how other SLC teams have fared in their scrimmages?
No-look
Was t there a Southland basketball coaches interview that was gonna be made public by now?
PurpleOut
Staff
Interesting info on contracts for Mid-Major coaches.

Keller in at $375K:

Quote:

Receives $5,000 for a 20-win season. Receives $5,000 for a CIT or CBI appearance. If SFA receives more than $225,000 in guarantee game compensation it's split evenly between the coach and SFA.

The closest in our league is Hooten at $225K.

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2019/11/4/20946421/ncaa-basketball-head-coach-contract-salary-database-mid-major-2019-20
TallTexan
We're paying like we're in a G5 football league. Which I'm fine with, we're supposed to be the best in the conference.

I am amazed by how little some of the conference teams pay coaches.

The one thing that surprised me about Keller's contract is that it's through 2022-2023 season it looks like.

Did we give him an extension or did we originally sign him to such a long contract?
TallTexan
Ok read through Keller's contracts & he got an extension & yearly raise per an extension signed after the tourney game against Tech.

Here's the original contract:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZJrUWferb4dGlKSVNHelFzZlRiV0NhMlVsOEVUTlYyV084/view?usp=sharing

And the extension:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZJrUWferb4dVdCQ0JGbjRWa1ZJRXdnWTNxbEhmR2tPeGVF/view?usp=sharing

Now I'm by no means a lawyer, but based on the extension, it looks like neither side owes a buyout from here on out.

Am I reading that right?
CertifiedAxeman98
TallTexan said:

We're paying like we're in a G5 football league. Which I'm fine with, we're supposed to be the best in the conference.

I am amazed by how little some of the conference teams pay coaches.

The one thing that surprised me about Keller's contract is that it's through 2022-2023 season it looks like.

Did we give him an extension or did we originally sign him to such a long contract?
I am not surprised with how little other schools pay their coaches. Look at the product on the court. It also means you either keep subpar coaches or when you get a good coach they leave as soon as they can. Recent examples are Richie Riley who was at Nicholls State for just 2 seasons and bailed for South Alabama after wining the regular season. Also, you had McNeese keep Dave Simmions for 12 years and was middle to the bottom in the league except for a year or 2 and mostly has a losing record.

The Southland needs to wake up and make Basketball a priority or they will lose schools each and every time there is a shake up in conferences.
PurpleOut
Staff
Full schedule for the week, looks better when you open up the tweet.

TallTexan
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

The Southland needs to wake up and make Basketball a priority or they will lose schools each and every time there is a shake up in conferences.
We need to get the football team in working order before the next round of re-alignment.

We've got a good gig for making the tourney in this league, but I'd still like to see us move to greener pastures if we get the chance.
cboothe09
PurpleOut said:

Interesting info on contracts for Mid-Major coaches.

Keller in at $375K:

Quote:

Receives $5,000 for a 20-win season. Receives $5,000 for a CIT or CBI appearance. If SFA receives more than $225,000 in guarantee game compensation it's split evenly between the coach and SFA.

The closest in our league is Hooten at $225K.

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2019/11/4/20946421/ncaa-basketball-head-coach-contract-salary-database-mid-major-2019-20

For those curious, Keller sits tied for 37th in known salary with Mike Balado (Arkansas State-Sun Belt), Dana Ford (Missouri State-Missouri Valley), and Steve McClain (UIC-Horizon League). The Southland boasts three of the bottom 10 salaries. Claunch at Nicholls ($95,000), Kiefer at Southeastern ($103,592), and McConathy at NWST ($118,293). McConathy getting paid that little is a travesty. Dude deserves more than that for what he has done at that university.
As for the schools that didn't disclose (Private universities are not obligated), there are some schools that would be interesting to know (Any Ivy, BYU, Davidson, Dayton, Grand Canyon, and South Alabama)
cboothe09
Mike Rhoades contract at VCU is insane. Base pay of $459,000. He also receives $1,041,000 in supplemental compensation, another $20,000 for winning 20 games, and $3,500 for every national TV appearance.
CertifiedAxeman98
TallTexan said:

CertifiedAxeman98 said:

We need to get the football team in working order before the next round of re-alignment.

We've got a good gig for making the tourney in this league, but I'd still like to see us move to greener pastures if we get the chance.
I was a big fan of staying in the SLC and be in the tourney almost every year whey go to another 1 bid league? Honestly if you want to be the best, you need to play the best. So I think we should move up and find some competition not only for Basketball but for Volleyball and other sports. The SLC is at the bottom in a lot of D1 sports. They are so focused on FCS football that they are missing out on great opportunities for exposure with sports like basketball. Our volleyball team has absolutely no competition in the SLC and they can't get a ranking as a result and end up getting put up against the best teams in the country the first round as a result.

As Rodney Dangerfield would always say "I get not respect around here."
PurpleOut
Staff
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

That's a rather long list. (Thanks. Captain Obvious.) Not enough hours in the day to follow them all. Think I'll just follow Lumberjack Fans and Run the Point and you can cherry-pick retweet the best from the rest.
SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

PurpleOut said:

Claunch at Nicholls ($95,000),

If that is all that Nicholls can afford to pay their MBB coach, then I'm not surprised that they have decided to not go to national tournaments after the last couple of seasons.
SFA Jack Fanatic
A couple of great matchups tonight on TV, right out of the gate...

#3 Kansas vs. #4 Duke at 6:00 p.m.in NYC on ESPN; KU favored by 2; O/U @ 152

#1 Michigan State vs. #2 Kentucky at 8:30 p.m. in NYC on ESPN; MSU favored by 3; O/U @ 140.5

CertifiedAxeman98
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

cboothe09 said:

Claunch at Nicholls ($95,000),

If that is all that Nicholls can afford to pay their MBB coach, then I'm not surprised that they have decided to not go to national tournaments after the last couple of seasons.
Also, explains why Richie Riley left as quick as he did.
No-look
Three minutes into game Holyfield gets the tip and has 4 points.
Pilotgirl
Where are you watching the Tech game?
cboothe09
Online it is Fox Sports Go

On TV it is Fox Sports Southwest Plus
Pilotgirl
Thanks!
No-look
Pilotgirl said:

Where are you watching the Tech game?
Foxsports Southwest. 676 with direct TV
TallTexan
Dang I don't think Dish has Fox SW back yet.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.