2019-2020 NCAA Basketball

62,144 Views | 309 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by nacluth
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA Jack Fanatic
All three NCAA Men's Championships will be combined in Atlanta next year. The D-I Final Four will play April 4 and 6 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, while D-II and D-III will play April 5 at State Farm Arena.
Pilotgirl
They are handling the Women's tournament the same way.
Pilotgirl
Better move the TJ to TTU discussion over here...don't want anymore threads closed down. Now, he is a Red Raider, which is part of NCAA basketball as well & can/should be able to discuss/follow on this thread.
SFAJack_76
Great choice by TJ. My opinion. Looking forward to cheering him on. Until we play them again in the first round of course.
SFAJack_76
For those that did not see his entire tweet.
sfa17
Adam Silver Expects One-and-Done Rule to End in Time for 2022 Draft
https://www.si.com/nba/2019/05/12/adam-silver-end-one-and-dones-2022-draft?utm_source=reddit.com
purplitis72
I hope the grad transfer rule is on the way out also.
TallTexan
sfa17 said:

Adam Silver Expects One-and-Done Rule to End in Time for 2022 Draft
https://www.si.com/nba/2019/05/12/adam-silver-end-one-and-dones-2022-draft?utm_source=reddit.com
2022-2023 would be a great time to have a team full of senior studs.Should be the most midmajor centric tourney in a long time.
Pilotgirl
https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/Article/Texas-Tech-adds-another-top-grad-transfer-132071611/
Pilotgirl
Beard is re-building & he has proven to be a pretty good architect...
purplitis72
That's one reason that I don't like the grad transfer rule. It enables monopolies like Tech to capitalize on the smaller programs that develop players within. It's predatory. They in turn will send players down that haven't succeeded in their programs to the underlings like us. If we spend our money on recruiting and developing players then we should be able to keep those players. I opine that no one should be able to transfer from one D1 school to another without losing a year of eligibility or using a redshirt year at the school that they transfer too. Schools should not be rewarded for recruiting players from other schools. I believe that they should be punished and lose scholarships for doing so.
Pilotgirl
That's your opinion. We all have one But this is a thread where we can talk about other teams respectively & I will do just that.
SFAJack_76
I find the proliferation of undergrad transfers to be unfortunate, but that is reality, and has been for several years. High school kids sometimes make college decisions that end up not being the right fit. Sometimes coaches get recruits that are not the right fit. The average college freshman retention rate is about 72%. Average six year graduation rate is in the mid-sixty percent.

Relative to grad transfers, there have been many comments about why that is okay that I agree with. Holyfield gets his SFASU diploma today. He has a desire to make playing basketball his career. He has a chance to further his growth and development toward that in a different setting, with different approaches. What a great opportunity for the young man. And, he gets to further his formal education at the same time. And, he gets to do it closer to home. I know you disagree, and that is fine, but he will always be a Lumberjack to me. TJ and I are both SFA alumni.

If I have a head coach that, while conducting the program morally and ethically, does not fully utilize the rules in place to build a winning program, he won't be my head coach very long. I don't like the one and done rule, and hope that gets changed. However, I don't dislike Calipari because he fully utilized that rule to win. (I may dislike him for other reasons, but that is a different story.)
SFAJack_76
Posting this picture here since the thread on TJ got locked.
SFAJack_76
nacluth
Hopefully this thread has been cleaned up sufficiently that it doesn't need to be locked. Of course, differences of opinion will always be respected here. Trolling players or posters will not. Thanks for everyone's forbearance.
SFAJack_76
Grad transfer getting to choose between Cal, Northwestern, and Vanderbilt. What a great opportunity for furthering his education. This is the positive of the grad transfer rule.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Grad transfer getting to choose between Cal, Northwestern, and Vanderbilt. What a great opportunity for furthering his education. This is the positive of the grad transfer rule.

I'm surprised that those schools would be interested in him. An OK player, but not exactly a star in the SLC. But as you say, some stellar institutions to further his education.
TallTexan
Man, his transcript must be pretty nice if those are the schools he's exploring. Good for him.
SFAJack_76
Interesting read on the transfer situation. No doubt that being a D1 coach has gotten harder.

https://amp.indystar.com/amp/3740305002?__twitter_impression=true
SFAJack_76
I missed this when it was tweeted. In case others missed it also.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl
Awww man! He has had a rough couple months.
SFAJack_76
A tough reminder that these young student athletes are real people with real issues that go beyond the court, field, or track.
Pilotgirl
Definitely. I lost my dad when I was 20. Happened in March, middle of the semester. Super tough to get thru, especially when college profs were not very accommodating (this was not SFA...I transferred after that semester).
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

Definitely. I lost my dad when I was 20. Happened in March, middle of the semester. Super tough to get thru, especially when college profs were not very accommodating (this was not SFA...I transferred after that semester).

Sorry to hear that Pilotgirl, I couldn't even imagine trying to focus on school with something like that.
TallTexan

Transfer portal strikes again.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76 said:

SFAJack_76
Fisher found a home.
sfa17
Xavier transfer Keonte Kennedy leaves TCU for UTEP

Xavier (commit) > Xavier (decomit)>Xavier(recommit) > ask for transfer>TCU (decommit) > UTEP.
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

Xavier transfer Keonte Kennedy leaves TCU for UTEP

Xavier (commit) > Xavier (decomit)>Xavier(recommit) > ask for transfer>TCU (decommit) > UTEP.

Sounds like that confused bouncing ball kid we had a couple of years ago.
SFAJack_76
Nicholas found a new home. Hope he understands what a great opportunity this is, and takes care of business. I assume he has to sit a year, but I don't know.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Nicholas found a new home. Hope he understands what a great opportunity this is, and takes care of business. I assume he has to sit a year, but I don't know.

The guy has some natural talent. He should do well there (on what's usually a decent team in a poor conference) if he keeps his head screwed on straight.
Pilotgirl
He will sit a yr, which might've helped him here (or made it worse)....I wish him the best

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.