2018-2019 Southland Basketball

81,207 Views | 330 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Pilotgirl
No-look
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Our chances of beating them twice should be better.
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

I don't know. That does seem likely and I am sure there policies and procedures in place as well.
I suspect both you and Tall are right. Roach being suspended, again, at UT was reported through "sources close to the situation." Apparently the very limited SFA media doesn't have sources close to situations.
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

Pilotgirl said:

https://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/news/local-news/two-acu-basketball-players-dismissed-from-team/1799296974?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KTAB_News&fbclid=IwAR3iYOt0YSUtYsLFItTQgDC4sBtQVw7g_-EZ4fSmYmgfROKAXLvq-2qvnKg
Quite different approaches. ACU puts out a press release, while at SFA, they just aren't on the roster any more.

I personally prefer the ACU approach.
THis...
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

Pilotgirl said:

I don't know. That does seem likely and I am sure there policies and procedures in place as well.
I suspect both you and Tall are right. Roach being suspended, again, at UT was reported through "sources close to the situation." Apparently the very limited SFA media doesn't have sources close to situations.
Roach has been indefinitely suspended as of today.....average of 15 ppg; 3.1 assists
PurpleOut
Staff
Haven't double checked possible tie breakers, but I believe Sam clinched co-champs at worst, and the #1 seed.

They were up 90-65 with 5 minutes to play, and HBU forced OT. Crazy.
nacluth
Sam did clinch co-champs. A NO loss or a Sam win completes the lockup with #1.
PurpleOut
Staff
Sorry guys, between work/travel, family, going through a house purchase...I don't have the time right now for articles.

PurpleOut
Staff
Attendance this past Saturday in Huntsville, as they claim their title:

nacluth
Completely understand. Think you're right with the new list now that Friday and Maxwell are gone from ACU. I think UNO is going to be a problem for Sam.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Attendance this past Saturday in Huntsville, as they claim their title:

That must suck for their guys.

Gotta be one of the worst college fanbases in the state.
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth
What hurts them is their terrible nonconference schedule. They didn't play anyone good and they didn't play well. If by a miracle, SFA gets through Katy, we would get a higher seed than Sam simply on our SOS and beating Baylor - not because anyone thinks we're better.

This is the same reason why Illinois has a decent chance at finishing above several teams in the Big Ten that will go to the tournament and they will be passed by.
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth
I wish it did because that's probably the best bracket we could get.
PurpleOut
Staff
Getting the 4-seed is still a possibility. Probably the best chance if ACU continues to struggle, but that also means we have to continue to win. And you know........beat Lamar.
BigJack85
At this point I'd be ecstatic if we got to 17 wins and won one game in the conference tournament.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth said:

What hurts them is their terrible nonconference schedule. They didn't play anyone good and they didn't play well. If by a miracle, SFA gets through Katy, we would get a higher seed than Sam simply on our SOS and beating Baylor - not because anyone thinks we're better.

This is the same reason why Illinois has a decent chance at finishing above several teams in the Big Ten that will go to the tournament and they will be passed by.
Our only chance of not getting a play-in game would probably be luck. Luck that some other good mid-majors drop in their conference tournament, and maybe some extra luck if some bracket guys like us for our name and past NCAA trips. A win over Baylor doesn't mean much unfortunately next to our bad losses, and our SOS is worst than Sams.
nacluth
True, but there's usually about 8-10 one bid leagues who's conference winners don't make it. And then it usually comes down to premier wins honestly.

Realistically, we need to win the next four to have a chance at the NCAA's. I think it's going to take a bye. If we did win those, they would raise our NET ratings probably 30-50 points. With three more Katy wins, we could break 250. That might be enough to get out of the play-in.

I don't give up hope until the end, and truthfully, a play-in game would absolutely be great for this season (especially because they are winnable). But there's a hard row to hoe before we can think too much about it.
nacluth
Also I'm not on Twitter but I saw the comments on your post. If we win out, and end in a tie with ACU and Lamar at 11-7, we would win the three way tiebreaker (3-1 compared to their 2-2). If against ACU only, then we would win with a 2-0 advantage. If against Lamar we would win because we would have beaten ACU our highest common opponent with different results.

But 11-7 tiebreakers are ludicrous to think about when I'm scared about Wed.
PurpleOut
Staff
Other than responding to tweets, I'm trying not to think about it much right now. It's mind numbing and gong to be a disaster again more than likely.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Other than responding to tweets, I'm trying not to think about it much right now. It's mind numbing and gong to be a disaster again more than likely.

Southland conference is awful, and the leadership there appears to be perfectly fine with the status quo.
PurpleOut
Staff
We're going to have to rely on everyone behind us to lose to make the tournament. Absolutely absurd to say that, but we aren't going beat Lamar, ACU, or Sam Houston.

Corpus, UCA, HBU and NSU are all tied for a game behind us. Luckily, they all have a good chance to lose this weekend.

I hate this.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

We're going to have to rely on everyone behind us to lose to make the tournament. Absolutely absurd to say that, but we aren't going beat Lamar, ACU, or Sam Houston.

Corpus, UCA, HBU and NSU are all tied for a game behind us. Luckily, they all have a good chance to lose this weekend.

I hate this.

You hit the proverbial nail on the head. Both shocking and sad, isn't it?
PurpleOut
Staff
HBU has a commanding lead at the half against McNeese, and Corpus is down 8 at UIW in the first. If those two scores hold then we'd be tied with HBU for 7th/8th (not sure on tiebreakers).
nacluth
It will actually be tied for 6/7 and a game up on the other teams tied for 8th. HBU probably wins the tiebreaker. Let me check. Edit: Yep, they beat Lamar in OT the first game to go 1-1. Us 0-2.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth said:

It will actually be tied for 6/7 and a game up on the other teams tied for 8th. HBU probably wins the tiebreaker. Let me check. Edit: Yep, they beat Lamar in OT the first game to go 1-1. Us 0-2.

Yep you're right, didn't look close enough. Been a long day.
PurpleOut
Staff
HBU blows by McNeese, and Corpus comes back to win in OT so we've got a 3-way tie for 6-8.
No-look
I watched second half of Corpus game. Words Brown gets a tech in last two minutes. CC makes both free throws.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan
Well, you're right, I don't like it.

But at this point I can't argue with it.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

No thanks for sending my current state of depression tumbling even lower, Purple. Regrettably, probably have to agree.

BTW, can a team with the two leading scorers in the league who will almost certainly be selected to the All-SLC Teams not even make the SLC tournament? Is that even possible?????
PurpleOut
Staff
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

PurpleOut said:

No thanks for sending my current state of depression tumbling even lower, Purple. Regrettably, probably have to agree.

BTW, can a team with the two leading scorers in the league who will almost certainly be selected to the All-SLC Teams not even make the SLC tournament? Is that even possible?????

I was discussing that same thing earlier on Twitter. Seems impossible.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut
Staff
UCA is up 4 in Huntsville with under 16 to play. Doesn't matter a ton for Sam (other than the possible play in game if they make the tournament), but this could be bad for us if UCA wins.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

UCA is up 4 in Huntsville with under 16 to play. Doesn't matter a ton for Sam (other than the possible play in game if they make the tournament), but this could be bad for us if UCA wins.

Was just looking at that score.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.