2018-2019 Southland Basketball

81,239 Views | 330 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Pilotgirl
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFAJack_76 said:

Many, including me, were disappointed when Kaspar left because we did not think SFA could do better. Kaspar did a great job of turning the program around, but it took someone new and to move it to the next level. I was wrong.

I'm totally with you there but I think we hit the jackpot of an open league, a struggling football team, an excellent coaching hire and the best fanbase in Texas basketball.

There's a chance, I just don't think they have the ingredients for the magic.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Many, including me, were disappointed when Kaspar left because we did not think SFA could do better. Kaspar did a great job of turning the program around, but it took someone new and to move it to the next level. I was wrong.
Agreed all around. Which are exactly my thoughts on Ryan Ivey now, someone to move an already great athletic department to the next level.

I'm all in on this and I think Ivey's that guy. Just wish I had loads of cash to help him out with the facilities.
djsfw57
SFAJack_76 said:

I'm with you on that. I remember when I first read that Kaspar was leaving. My heart sank and I was afraid we would go back to the kinds of teams that played when I was at SFA many years ago. Women were incredible and the men couldn't win games. Against anyone. I was very pleasantly surprised when Underwood did his thing here, and to be honest, I'm even more excited with Coach Keller. If he is able to recruit the kind of players SFA is getting, you KNOW there is something special about that man that makes these guys want to play for him. I'm just about holding my breath waiting for bb to start. Pumped would be an understatement for me.
SFAXE93
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFAJack_76
SFA -1. (Damn Lamar) It will be up to 8 going into the conference opener on January 2, against SLU.
nacluth
Sure wouldn't mind it being 17 at the start of next year...Whoo the thought of 16 home games just got me a little giddy.
SFAJack_76
https://www.midmajormadness.com/platform/amp/2018/10/5/17901222/southland-conference-preseason-rankings-college-basketball-stephen-austin-veal-lamar-abilene-sfa?utm_campaign=midmajormadness&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true
tangerito
And there this !

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/10/5/17935280/southland-conference-preseason-awards-marlain-veal-stephen-f-austin-season-review-2019?utm_campaign=midmajormadness&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter
nacluth
Those awards seem pretty fair. I don't expect Garth to be as good without someone like Weisbrod to send it to, but I could go with that. I think Veal probably is the lock unless he just really struggles. I think all our players will split the spotlight, but I expect a pair of first teamers.
TallTexan
Veal is just fun to watch, when he plays anyone but us.

Awards seem super fair, but I'd have put TJ a bit higher. Sure, he's probably not going to wow you with incredible athleticism night in and night out, but the dude's a technician and the best player at his spot in the league IMO.
SFAJack_76
sfa17
Not Southland .. but great

BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Veal is just fun to watch, when he plays anyone but us.

Awards seem super fair, but I'd have put TJ a bit higher. Sure, he's probably not going to wow you with incredible athleticism night in and night out, but the dude's a technician and the best player at his spot in the league IMO.

"Technician" .... well said.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
PurpleOut
Staff
Think I might do that Twitter Q&A next week.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Think I might do that Twitter Q&A next week.

Looking forward to it.
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth
Question #2: The Southland looks like a two horse race (SFA and SELA), what school has the best team to contend with these two?
PurpleOut
Staff
Feel free to tweet me questions anytime today if you can't tonight.
PurpleOut
Staff
PurpleOut said:

Let's do it...
Pilotgirl
Looks like SLU lost one of their tall players, Starwood, who was a redshirt last year. Don't know what happened or where he went....
brlionfan44
Pilotgirl said:

Looks like SLU lost one of their tall players, Starwood, who was a redshirt last year. Don't know what happened or where he went....
He played tonight against LSU.
Pilotgirl
brlionfan44 said:

Pilotgirl said:

Maybe it was another one...did you guys lose a player that was a redshirt?
Pilotgirl
Pilotgirl said:

brlionfan44 said:

Pilotgirl said:

Maybe it was another one...did you guys lose a player that was a redshirt?

I was getting info from a friend in Louisiana...he must have been mistaken
slulionsfan
Lions played bad and took it on the chin vs an extremely talented LSU team, but a star was born. We were planning to redshirt true freshman Parker Edwards, but with about 10 minutes to go in the second half, Jay Ladner decided to put him in ... rest is history (25 points in a seven minute span):

https://www.nola.com/lsu/2018/11/m-v-p-southeasterns-parker-edwards-scores-25-points-in-10-minutes-against-lsu.html

SFA Jack Fanatic
UIW lost to Texas Tech by 50, 87-37. They were outscored 48-7 in the second half.

Prison Tech beat East Texas Baptist 85-64.

UNO beat Spring Hill 96-66.

Nicholls beat Mississippi College 86-58.

Missouri beat UCA 68-55.

ACU beat Arlington Baptist 107-54.

LSU beat SELA 94-63.

Lamar beat Huston-Tillotson 79-59.
nacluth
slulionsfan said:

Lions played bad and took it on the chin vs an extremely talented LSU team, but a star was born. We were planning to redshirt true freshman Parker Edwards, but with about 10 minutes to go in the second half, Jay Ladner decided to put him in ... rest is history (25 points in a seven minute span):

https://www.nola.com/lsu/2018/11/m-v-p-southeasterns-parker-edwards-scores-25-points-in-10-minutes-against-lsu.html

Pretty sweet! That had to be a fun performance. I'm glad he was put in against LSU and not us...
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
slulionsfan said:

Holy Frijole. I vote that he's not allowed to play against SFA.

All in favor, say aye!
Wildcat1997
I think ACU will have a great year this season. This team is talented and very importantly has so much experience playing together. The rotation is made up of mostly Juniors and Seniors that have played together for 3-4 years. I don't know the other teams rosters super well but ACU might be the most experienced team in the league. Plus I also like the Freshman that have been brought in. I'm predicting 20+ wins and challenging (but probably not winning) the conference title.
PurpleOut
Staff
Wildcat1997 said:

I think ACU will have a great year this season. This team is talented and very importantly has so much experience playing together. The rotation is made up of mostly Juniors and Seniors that have played together for 3-4 years. I don't know the other teams rosters super well but ACU might be the most experienced team in the league. Plus I also like the Freshman that have been brought in. I'm predicting 20+ wins and challenging (but probably not winning) the conference title.
I agree. And ACU has an extremely favorable schedule to get to 20 wins. Not saying it's easy, but there are no major games other than Texas Tech.
nacluth
ACU has looked better and better. I thought last year would be the breakthrough, but injuries and some red hot conference teams blocked your path. I fully expect a SLC tournament appearance plus some tough games against us.
cboothe09
Nicholls hanging around on the road with Louisville. Down 6 with 3 minutes left in the 1st half
cboothe09
Nicholls didnt let up and hung with Lousiville. Jeremiah Jefferson was insanely hot in the second half. Pretty much the reason Nicholls was keeping pace.
Nicholls likes to put four guys behind the arc and either throw up a three or drive. They hit a lot tonight.
Defensively they still aren't good. They foul a lot and send opponents to the free throw line often. Louisville was 42-55 from the free throw line. Yes. They shot 55 free throws. In regulation. Clean that up and they are a VERY good team, but that's their style so I dont expect it to change.
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

Nicholls didnt let up and hung with Lousiville. Jeremiah Jefferson was insanely hot in the second half. Pretty much the reason Nicholls was keeping pace.
Nicholls likes to put four guys behind the arc and either throw up a three or drive. They hit a lot tonight.
Defensively they still aren't good. They foul a lot and send opponents to the free throw line often. Louisville was 42-55 from the free throw line. Yes. They shot 55 free throws. In regulation. Clean that up and they are a VERY good team, but that's their style so I dont expect it to change.

55.... Did you say 55?
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

cboothe09 said:

Louisville was 42-55 from the free throw line. Yes. They shot 55 free throws. In regulation.

55.... Did you say 55?
I was a basketball official for two decades and I called a few high school games like that. In each case, the coaches involved (always the losing coach) thought we called a horrible game. Truth was, their players played horrible defense, but the coaches couldn't see it (couldn't see the forest for the trees), did nothing during the game to correct it, or wouldn't admit it.
cboothe09
I miss calling games. Did it in college for extra money. Something I want to get back into especially here in the Houston area where the games are a little better than the Cayuga/LaPoyner or Rusk/Name a school matchups I typically drew...

As for watching them, they were dangerously aggressive. Diving into opponents to go for the ball, and very physical in the paint.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.