2018-2019 Southland Basketball

81,252 Views | 330 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Pilotgirl
brlionfan44
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nacluth said:

Southeastern Louisiana gets off the the floor with their first win over McNeese with the identical score to the Jacks, 74-71.
Actually it's Southeastern's second win. They beat Lamar Wednesday.
nacluth
Yep. My mistake.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
slulionsfan
Anybody can win this league. It's a bag of mediocre with no dominant team. Long way to go.
CertifiedAxeman98
I always thought that it was better to just stay in the SL and dominate it because only the top 9-10 conferences are multi-bid team leagues so moving to a conference that is 22nd vs. 30th was not worth the move.

But now with the SL being one of the worst leagues in all of college basketball and the new NET and other rankings being so heavily relied on. Not to mention the rec league level refs and lazy scheduling of the SL. I am about done with the SL.

If we were to leave the SL where should we go? What is an upgrade over where we are now? Can we keep rivalries with SAM & NSU (by scheduling non-con games)? Or do we try and go with one or both of them to a new conference.

Seems possible that the Big12 will blow up when their TV deal expires and they may end up with 4 power conferences rather than 5 at that point. If that is the case, then that is probably the next time that a big reshuffle will occur. But that is 2025 and I am not sure I can continue to watch amateur hour with the SL another 5-6 years.
PurpleOut
Staff
I've never been in favor of leaving. We don't have the facilities, resources, and honestly the fan base to move up. However, if there was a way to form a different/better mid-major conference with different leagues in the southern states, then I'd be interested. Think about the top athletic departments from this league, the Sun Belt, CUSA, and maybe a few others. There would still be plenty of rivalries, decent travel, and better overall competition.

Isaac's comment on the league needing to make a statement, along with my request on Twitter, about the technical foul just opens up my eyes more. Because we know our conference would NEVER look into anything, much less make a public statement. And different things like the Twitter conversation several of us had with Chris Mycoskie this weekend, who just LOVES having Van Chancellor call Southland games. It's just another aspect that shows how little our league is, as well seeing that that they seemingly don't want to change to grow much or be innovative.

Today when I posted my Power Rankings, the Southland twitter account sent me a DM with the current "style guide" of all the schools. I was shocked that they actually sent me something, then I see it was just Mycoskie. But found it hilarious that this is what they are worried about. A fan talking about the schools.

Just my two cents.
CertifiedAxeman98
Completely agree. I never wanted to leave the SL until the past couple of years. The SL continues to disappoint.

The refs have been bad in the past but they continue to look worse as time goes on. I wonder if there is any kind of ongoing training for them if so it is not enough. When they goof things like the tech on slamming before a game is there anything that goes out to the refs to correct this going forward? Do we need a rule book with us like I had with my kids basketball games to help the refs understand the rules? It is like I say about boxing if you want to make sure that you win you have to knock the other guy out otherwise you leave it in the hands of the judges/refs. Close games are going to ultimately be decided by the refs in this league.

That on top of the poor and lazy scheduling. Going to 20 games helps some leagues but for the SL if you now have to add 2 more games of bad teams then you don't help your resume at all. They should look at what C-USA is doing with the second half of the season this year and what the Sunbelt will be doing next year and if it works they should adopt it. The league is mostly silent on these issues. Having 5+ teams sub 300 rankings in Kenpom/NET and another 4-5 below 250 is bad, really bad.

The one thing I would say that the SL has done right is the bye games in the tournament in Katy. You want your best team to have the best shot of winning since we are a 1 bid league you want your best playing in the big dance not the NIT.
PurpleOut
Staff
One thing to keep in mind in regards to standings, is that at we have played less conference games than everyone else. Not sure if that's good or bad yet, but we don't have any more bye days which allows us to move up with wins when other teams are off.

TallTexan
Where did SELA come from? They looked real bad playing us.
nacluth
Veal was injured at the first of conference. He's been playing much better and the team has gotten stronger.
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

One thing to keep in mind in regards to standings, is that at we have played less conference games than everyone else. Not sure if that's good or bad yet, but we don't have any more bye days which allows us to move up with wins when other teams are off.

Ya. If we somehow beat NW St AND pull a win off A&M CC we should be in solid shape for a 6-7 seed at minimum with the potential to move up as high as a 3.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
Yep, we play @NWST, AMCC (2-8 on the road), then UIW. If there is a part of our schedule tailor-made for a 4 game run, this is it. Going from 5-5 to 9-5 would do wonders to solidify our Katy seeding. But, we still have to play those games.
brlionfan44
TallTexan said:

Where did SELA come from? They looked real bad playing us.
One thing about Ladner's teams is that they usually close fast and play their best ball at the end. The last 4 years this is their record in their last 10 regular season games:

4 years ago 8-2
3 years ago 5-5 (not good)
Last year 9-1
This year they are 4-0 so far out of the last 10

nacluth
If you could do us a solid and beat New Orleans both times and Abilene, we'll return the favor by beating ACU for you to get you the double bye in trade for a single for us. Just like last year, so we can try for that rematch in the championship.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Yep, we play @NWST, AMCC (2-8 on the road), then UIW. If there is a part of our schedule tailor-made for a 4 game run, this is it. Going from 5-5 to 9-5 would do wonders to solidify our Katy seeding. But, we still have to play those games.

Ryan, sometimes I think you should be down there wearing one of those cheerleader outfits. (Not the ones with skirts, BTW).
SFA Jack Fanatic
And BTW, has Isaac gone AWOL again?
nacluth
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Ryan, sometimes I think you should be down there wearing one of those cheerleader outfits. (Not the ones with skirts, BTW).
I've been practicing my handstands but my leotard makes it a little uncomfortable. Actually, I've been waiting for the call to give the motivational speech before the game. Maybe they are saving me for Katy.

Isaac is definitely AWOL, but we've sent the Texas Rangers after him. He'll be back after the shame of running away from his first love catches up to him.
slulionsfan
nacluth said:

Veal was injured at the first of conference. He's been playing much better and the team has gotten stronger.
Veal is playing with a torn meniscus and hasn't been 100% at any point this season. He's gutting it out yet still manages to do his thing. We're a much different team now than at the beginning of the season. Coming in, we had to replace six seniors and it took until midseason for the new faces to settle in and we're just now hitting our stride. I'm not ready to say we're playing at last year's level, but we're pretty close. Other than about a six or seven minute second-half stretch vs Sam Houston, we've played very well last 9 or 10 games. The stretch run will be interesting having to go to ACU, UNO twice, road trip to Nicholls plus home games vs McNeese and NW State. We'll see what we're made of.

Here are our highlights vs Nicholls ... Colonels aren't very good but we couldn't have executed like this vs air back in November and December.

PurpleOut
Staff
Agreed with all of that.

Basically SLU was very similar to us, except we didn't get players back from injury completely or they're no longer on the team to replace what we lost last season.
SFA Jack Fanatic
For what it's worth (not much, really), on KenPom SFA is currently at 284. (How the mighty hath fallen.) ACU is at 157 and Prison Tech at 159.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

For what it's worth (not much, really), on KenPom SFA is currently at 284. (How the mighty hath fallen.) ACU is at 157 and Prison Tech at 159.

Yes we have. Two years ago it was as high as 60 late in the year.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
Baylor if they could beat Tech could possibly be ranked next week. The crazy thing is that Sam could go 20-0 through the SLC and get a 15 seed because they beat no one in nonconference. We with our terrible NET rating if somehow we could win Katy with 6 or 7 losses could still get a 15 seed for beating a end of year top 25 team on the road. The life of bottom end mid-major conferences.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

We with our terrible NET rating if somehow we could win Katy with 6 or 7 losses could still get a 15 seed for beating a end of year top 25 team on the road. The life of bottom end mid-major conferences.

I wish I had half of your confidence, Ryan.
Wildcat1997
Jalone Friday and BJ Maxwell have been dismissed from the team:
No-look
Wow!
TallTexan
Wildcat1997 said:

Dang! Would not have expected that.
TallTexan
I think Sam should have to dismiss a few players just to make sure we're all playing on level ground.
SFAJack_76
Wildcat1997 said:

This is happening way too often. Why do so many throw away such a great opportunity? Short sighted and selfish. Disappointing.
No-look
Wasn't Friday a starter?
Pilotgirl
No-look said:

Wasn't Friday a starter?

Pne of their star players. We fouled him out at ACU vs SFA game
Pilotgirl
https://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/news/local-news/two-acu-basketball-players-dismissed-from-team/1799296974?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KTAB_News&fbclid=IwAR3iYOt0YSUtYsLFItTQgDC4sBtQVw7g_-EZ4fSmYmgfROKAXLvq-2qvnKg
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

https://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/news/local-news/two-acu-basketball-players-dismissed-from-team/1799296974?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KTAB_News&fbclid=IwAR3iYOt0YSUtYsLFItTQgDC4sBtQVw7g_-EZ4fSmYmgfROKAXLvq-2qvnKg
Quite different approaches. ACU puts out a press release, while at SFA, they just aren't on the roster any more.

I personally prefer the ACU approach.
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

Pilotgirl said:

Quite different approaches. ACU puts out a press release, while at SFA, they just aren't on the roster any more.

I personally prefer the ACU approach.

I was thinking the same thing...
TallTexan
I wonder if it has to do with the public vs private university thing. They can work up a press release, while any emails we would need to share back and forth between whoever's working on it would potentially be open to open records searches.
Pilotgirl
I don't know. That does seem likely and I am sure there policies and procedures in place as well.
PurpleOut
Staff
No-look said:

Wasn't Friday a starter?
They were both starters. 24 PPG between the two.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.