2018-2019 Southland Basketball

81,217 Views | 330 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Pilotgirl
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They got OK State the same night we've got Alabama. I'd be alright with the SLC going 2-2 that night.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
Our league does seem to have improved. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of our teams win OOC games.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

Our league does seem to have improved. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of our teams win OOC games.
We'll see. Our league is extremely difficult to gauge before the season starts. Almost every team lost their leading scorer from last season, and then basically everyone adds a list of JUCO guys that we've never seen.
PurpleOut
Staff
Note: from last year's All-SLC teams (1st-3rd), of the 15 players only 5 are back for this season.

Marlain Veal (SLU)
Shannon Bogues (SFA)
Kevon Harris (SFA)
TJ Holyfield (SFA)
Ishmael Lane (NSU)
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Note: from last year's All-SLC teams (1st-3rd), of the 15 players only 5 are back for this season.

Marlain Veal (SLU)
Shannon Bogues (SFA)
Kevon Harris (SFA)
TJ Holyfield (SFA)
Ishmael Lane (NSU)
I think Veal and our 3 could all lock down first team this year too. Going to be a fun season.
PurpleOut
Staff
My CBB Run The Point site is now live here. Nothing on there right now and fairly basic overall, but just an FYI. Should hopefully have my Pre-Season Power Rankings out soon (I know I've said that before), and then some additional content throughout the season.
BigJack85
Matt,

Great stuff. Look forward to BB season and some content. It's awesome that we have such dedicated fans.

Double Cool.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

My CBB Run The Point site is now live here. Nothing on there right now and fairly basic overall, but just an FYI. Should hopefully have my Pre-Season Power Rankings out soon (I know I've said that before), and then some additional content throughout the season.
Ready for you to Run the Point, Matt!
SFAJack_76
nacluth
Wow, I guess we know who is entering league play in last place. I see 2 non-D1 wins for them.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Wow, I guess we know who is entering league play in last place. I see 2 non-D1 wins for them.
It's a schedule full of money games they have no chance of winning.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

nacluth said:

It's a schedule full of money games they have no chance of winning.
They did the very same thing last year. Got clobbered then, too.
TallTexan
How'd they get UTSA at home?

They're likely to get the snot kicked out of them with that schedule though.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Athlon Sport's 2018-2019 College Basketball preview magazine will hit the shelves this week.

They have picked the Final Four as Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, and Gonzaga. (aka the usual suspects...)
TallTexan
edstile said:

Athlon Sport's 2018-2019 College Basketball preview magazine will hit the shelves this week.

They have picked the Final Four as Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, and Gonzaga. (aka the usual suspects...)
I will be writing to Athlon's editor about this blatant disrespect for our program.
SFAJack_76
For your reading pleasure.

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/9/6/17807764/does-your-school-schedule-too-many-games-against-non-division-i-teams-chaminade-stephen-f-austin-d2
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

For your reading pleasure.

https://www.midmajormadness.com/platform/amp/2018/9/6/17807764/does-your-school-schedule-too-many-games-against-non-division-i-teams-chaminade-stephen-f-austin-d2?utm_campaign=midmajormadness&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

We'd schedule other schools if we could. Nobody wants a tough mid major on their schedule.

I see a few solutions. We need a scheduling agreement with more mid-majors who also have trouble scheduling. Loyola Chicago, where you at?

And we need a conference challenge to be setup.
SFAXE93
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
nacluth
SFAXE93 said:

Hmmm... I can't imagine what the proper response should be, but no. Just naming another team in the Southland is not working. I know he actually covers the SLC, but still.
TallTexan
I can see it as a darkhorse to compete, but not to win. Like likeliest of the bottom 9 to make the top 4?

Sure.

But anyone but us winning the SLC would be considered a dark horse.
nacluth
McNeese closed the last season strong to pick up the wins needed to force the 3 way tie for 8th place, but essentially going from 10th to top half is still a tough ask in the Southland. Schroyer may be building something there, but there's plenty of competition. I guess a dark horse does come out of nowhere...
SFAJack_76
That is a sad home non conference schedule.

https://lamarcardinals.com/news/2018/9/10/mens-basketball-lu-releases-2018-19-hoops-schedule.aspx

nacluth
At least Tic will only have one home loss heading into conference play.
PurpleOut
Staff
McNeese has quite a lot to look forward to as a program, their new arena is solid. Again solid for a program that struggles to get 1,000 fans per game. Any Cowboy hoops fan should be thrilled, that rodeo arena was awful.

I think they could be a dark horse to make the tournament, but anything other than that would be a stretch right now in my opinion. They lost their best players from last season, and will have a ton of JUCO guys. Which is basically 75% of the league this season.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Great writeup. I know ACU will be excited to finally be battling for a top 4 spot.

nacluth
Nice piece. I was going to question some teams being so high, but then I saw who was below them and realized you probably had it right.
SFAJack_76
Good work. If Sam finishes 8th, or lower, is Hooten finished? Or, do they care?
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth said:

Nice piece. I was going to question some teams being so high, but then I saw who was below them and realized you probably had it right.

I questioned myself a few times (and altered my rankings from my July tweet slightly), but almost everyone lost their best players. Everyone has such a different roster compared to last year, other than SFA and SLU, it's pretty difficult to predict.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAJack_76 said:

I think it would take more than one bad year, and think Sam fans are overreacting a bit. I mean I get it, not winning any titles is a bad look for Hooten, but he's honestly done nothing but win there (regardless of what we think about their scheduling).
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

An excellent article, Matt! Will you be focusing only on the SLC or do you plan to expand the website to include other NCAA news or conferences at some point?
PurpleOut
Staff
edstile said:

PurpleOut said:

An excellent article, Matt! Will you be focusing only on the SLC or do you plan to expand the website to include other NCAA news or conferences at some point?

Thanks Ed. Mostly SLC, but will still do some overall mid-major and NCAA tweets. As well as some random articles. I'll actually have something on Grambling/Lasani Johnson soon.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I think it would take more than one bad year, and think Sam fans are overreacting a bit. I mean I get it, not winning any titles is a bad look for Hooten, but he's honestly done nothing but win there (regardless of what we think about their scheduling).

He's following the Kasper playbook, winning but not in the NCAA tourney much.

But unlike Kasper, he's got to compete against an SFA program that has a solid grip on the top of the league.

I'll summarize it this way, I don't think Sam Houston can hire a coach who'll do better. This isn't football.
SFAJack_76
Many, including me, were disappointed when Kaspar left because we did not think SFA could do better. Kaspar did a great job of turning the program around, but it took someone new and to move it to the next level. I was wrong.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAJack_76 said:

Many, including me, were disappointed when Kaspar left because we did not think SFA could do better. Kaspar did a great job of turning the program around, but it took someone new and to move it to the next level. I was wrong.
Agreed all around. Which are exactly my thoughts on Ryan Ivey now, someone to move an already great athletic department to the next level.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.