2018-2019 Southland Basketball

80,726 Views | 330 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Pilotgirl
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
No-look
McNeese and Nicholls May be rated too low. I hope we are not rated too high. Lol
TallTexan
I stopped reading after number 1.

That said Marlin Veal & Co worry me the most. That kid is a playmaker.
cboothe09
Corpus is too high. They are going to be really bad this year.
BigJack85
My guess is the UNO and Sammie look better toward the end of the season. UNO has solid/good coach.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFAXE93
2018-19 Projections

http://barttorvik.com/
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
brlionfan44
Looking forward to another year of Southland hoops. Of course SFA is the heavy favorite but I think Jay Ladner has built a program where they won't fall out of the top 3rd of the league and Veal always gives you a chance.

For the Lions, we'll return the core of Veal, Greenwood, and Charleston with the major addition of Von Julien and Maxwell Starwood who sat out last year. Julien is a 6'1" guard transfer from Tulane who was a 3 star recruit out of high school and started 17 games for the Greenies as a true freshman. Tulane went through a coaching change and he was left out in the shuffle. He's a pass first guard which will allow Veal to play more off the ball which will help him with a fatigue factor late in the season. Starwood is at 6'9" 250 and is a load. His offense has developed in the year off and he gives the Lions someone who can play with his back to the basket and defend the post since Greenwood is undersized.

Ladner is super excited about the recruiting class that he brought in: a few tidbits from lionsports.net

Jeremiah Saunders

"Because of coach David Kiefer's work and effort, we were able to beat out much larger offers," Ladner said. "He's a high-level recruit that has a chance to be one of the best players in Southeastern history."

Tyron Brewer

Tyron Brewer, a member of the Mississippi Dandy Dozen and a three-star recruit (Scout), begins his college career at Southeastern after graduating from Meridian High School in Meridian, Mississippi.

"He's certainly one of our most high-profile signees," Ladner said. "I've got to give coach Kyle Roane the credit, targeting Ty early on and building a strong relationship. He's long, athletic and bouncy, and will make an immediate impact. He'll have a great career here at Southeastern."

Pape Diop

Pape Diop, a Senegal native, comes to Southeastern by way of Chipola College. As a freshman, the 6-foot-8 forward averaged 7.3 points and 4.4 rebounds per game. He shot better than 50 percent from the floor and was an 84 percent free-throw shooter.

"He's long and can really shoot the basketball," Ladner said. "Coming from one of the nation's top junior college programs, he'll still have three years left. It's the best of both worlds, a young man that already has college basketball experience at the highest level in junior college. He'll be able to assimilate faster to the Division I game."

Willie Lapoole

Willie Lapoole was an All-State performer at Ouachita Parish High School this past season, averaging 17 points, eight rebounds and three blocks as a senior.

"He's another long player at 6-foot-8 and fits our style of play," Ladner said. "I saw him play last year and love the progress he's made as well as his potential. He has the ability to shoot the ball and can make an immediate impact for us."

Thoughts about the class in general, 4 of which are high schoolers.

"Anytime you can get a high school player to come in, where we have a chance to build over the course of time, you can see the positive effects of us doing that with our program," Ladner said. "The fact we have a number of returners also affords us the time to develop those guys. We love the fact we can still go get a junior college guy, but our high school guys are certainly talented enough they'll be competing for playing time immediately. We're very excited about this class."

"This is the strongest class, on paper, that we've ever brought in," Ladner said. "We're really excited about that. Some guys adjust quicker to Division I than others, but we'll have most of our guys here for the summer."

No-look
Will SELA be a one conference game as last year? If so shouldn't it be a home game for the Jacks?
PurpleOut
Staff
brlionfan44 said:

Looking forward to another year of Southland hoops. Of course SFA is the heavy favorite but I think Jay Ladner has built a program where they won't fall out of the top 3rd of the league and Veal always gives you a chance.

For the Lions, we'll return the core of Veal, Greenwood, and Charleston with the major addition of Von Julien and Maxwell Starwood who sat out last year. Julien is a 6'1" guard transfer from Tulane who was a 3 star recruit out of high school and started 17 games for the Greenies as a true freshman. Tulane went through a coaching change and he was left out in the shuffle. He's a pass first guard which will allow Veal to play more off the ball which will help him with a fatigue factor late in the season. Starwood is at 6'9" 250 and is a load. His offense has developed in the year off and he gives the Lions someone who can play with his back to the basket and defend the post since Greenwood is undersized.

Ladner is super excited about the recruiting class that he brought in: a few tidbits from lionsports.net

Jeremiah Saunders

"Because of coach David Kiefer's work and effort, we were able to beat out much larger offers," Ladner said. "He's a high-level recruit that has a chance to be one of the best players in Southeastern history."

Tyron Brewer

Tyron Brewer, a member of the Mississippi Dandy Dozen and a three-star recruit (Scout), begins his college career at Southeastern after graduating from Meridian High School in Meridian, Mississippi.

"He's certainly one of our most high-profile signees," Ladner said. "I've got to give coach Kyle Roane the credit, targeting Ty early on and building a strong relationship. He's long, athletic and bouncy, and will make an immediate impact. He'll have a great career here at Southeastern."

Pape Diop

Pape Diop, a Senegal native, comes to Southeastern by way of Chipola College. As a freshman, the 6-foot-8 forward averaged 7.3 points and 4.4 rebounds per game. He shot better than 50 percent from the floor and was an 84 percent free-throw shooter.

"He's long and can really shoot the basketball," Ladner said. "Coming from one of the nation's top junior college programs, he'll still have three years left. It's the best of both worlds, a young man that already has college basketball experience at the highest level in junior college. He'll be able to assimilate faster to the Division I game."

Willie Lapoole

Willie Lapoole was an All-State performer at Ouachita Parish High School this past season, averaging 17 points, eight rebounds and three blocks as a senior.

"He's another long player at 6-foot-8 and fits our style of play," Ladner said. "I saw him play last year and love the progress he's made as well as his potential. He has the ability to shoot the ball and can make an immediate impact for us."

"Anytime you can get a high school player to come in, where we have a chance to build over the course of time, you can see the positive effects of us doing that with our program," Ladner said. "The fact we have a number of returners also affords us the time to develop those guys. We love the fact we can still go get a junior college guy, but our high school guys are certainly talented enough they'll be competing for playing time immediately. We're very excited about this class."

"This is the strongest class, on paper, that we've ever brought in," Ladner said. "We're really excited about that. Some guys adjust quicker to Division I than others, but we'll have most of our guys here for the summer."

Thanks for the post. SLU will be a tough out this year, and should be solid defensively again. I also think losing Capps and Filmore is pretty significant. Very excited to see Brewer.
brlionfan44
PurpleOut said:

brlionfan44 said:

Jeremiah Saunders

Tyron Brewer

Pape Diop

Willie Lapoole

Thanks for the post. SLU will be a tough out this year, and should be solid defensively again. I also think losing Capps and Filmore is pretty significant. Very excited to see Brewer.
I think Filmore is a bigger loss than Capps. Capps could have been dominant but was very Jekyle and Hyde. Filmore brought leadership and stability. This SLU team will struggle early I think but I think they will be there come conference play. They will be a better offensive and defensive team without Capps. He tended to make the offense bog down and he wasn't a back to the basket guy. Ladner ran sets to get him the ball at the rim but he didn't enjoy or want to be a low post player. Starwood and Diop will do those things which should open up the perimeter for Veal and the mid range game for Greenwood.
TallTexan
No-look said:

Will SELA be a one conference game as last year? If so shouldn't it be a home game for the Jacks?
Man how I wish we were a 10 team conference. Then we could play a home & home with every basketball team & play every team in football.
slulionsfan
brlionfan44 said:

Jeremiah Saunders

Tyron Brewer

Pape Diop

Willie Lapoole

I don't know if we can duplicate 15-3 in the regular season but the potential is there to be better than last year. The player to keep an eye on is Keith Charleston, who came on strong down the stretch. He missed most of the previous two years due to injury and took him most of the season to knock the rust off. He's 6'8, can run the point and shot 40% from 3-point range. I look for him to have a much bigger role. Key will be how quickly Starwood and Julien settle in and does a shooter or two emerge to fill the shoes of Filmore and Polanco. And don't forget, we get Quinton Thomas back for an extra year. He played well down the stretch as well.

BTW, been hearing good things about the incoming freshmen during summer workouts. Hearing a couple of them could definitely factor right away.
SFAJack_76
Thanks for the update. Although I want our Jacks to go 18-0, I like hearing about other SLC teams getting better.
nacluth
Thanks for filling us in about the Lions. I too believe that a stronger SLC is better for everyone. My biggest concern about the Lions (and this is just based off of their games against the Jacks) is that they are returning about 40% of their scoring from last year where SFA is coming back with about 70%. Veal had 27 against us in that first game, but that has to be near his max. Can your new guys contribute enough?

Of course this is everyone's hope and fear before the season, but it will be fun to watch. Thanks for the heads up on who to keep an eye on.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
slulionsfan
nacluth said:

Thanks for filling us in about the Lions. I too believe that a stronger SLC is better for everyone. My biggest concern about the Lions (and this is just based off of their games against the Jacks) is that they are returning about 40% of their scoring from last year where SFA is coming back with about 70%. Veal had 27 against us in that first game, but that has to be near his max. Can your new guys contribute enough?

Of course this is everyone's hope and fear before the season, but it will be fun to watch. Thanks for the heads up on who to keep an eye on.
You never know until guys step on the floor and do it, but we think we have the pieces to replace what was lost, and maybe then some. We'll be longer and more athletic, if nothing else. Like any team with high aspirations, it comes down to chemistry and that's something that has to play out during the season. But we're well-coached, and have three seniors who have been around four years, and anytime #0 is on the floor, we've got a chance. Just glad we're back to a point where we're even discussing basketball in July ... it's been a while for us.
nacluth
slulionsfan said:

Just glad we're back to a point where we're even discussing basketball in July ... it's been a while for us.
I hear you. It's nice isn't it.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
slulionsfan
nacluth said:

slulionsfan said:

Just glad we're back to a point where we're even discussing basketball in July ... it's been a while for us.
I hear you. It's nice isn't it.
Yep. Especially in this league. Need more teams to get to that point.
Pilotgirl
I am most worried about SELA. those big guys give me big anxiety. Will def have to have a few drinks before these games LOL

I also think McNeese is moving on up....I so want us to beat the you know what outta Lamar this season! Planning on attending the SELA game if it's on the weekend...close to NOLA so double win!
SFAJack_76
Hope this year is better. This is bad. RPI killer.

TallTexan
Maybe we really should do a conference challenge with the SWAC.
slulionsfan
Marlain Veal on a summer afternoon ...

BigJack85
Non division 1 games are not factored into RPI. Only D1 games have a statistical input into the formula. Frankly there are mathematical simulations that show your better off playing a D2, D3 than a weak D1 squad (less than 240 RPI) team. It's a real challenge finding quality D1 opponents.

Most of your weak SWAC teams have RPI's in the 300 range. They do NOTHING for the RPI of a squad like SFA that typically is in the range of 70-140.
TallTexan
Touche.

I've actually heard there are ways to game the system by playing teams who aren't that strong but may rack up in conference wins. However, I'm not sure we're at a place to pick & choose our schedule, maybe a few more years of dominance will get us there.
SFAJack_76
I hate going here for schedule information, but get it where I can. I must have missed the information in the "note." Obviously this was posted before the Baylor game was announced.

KatFans.com is committed to providing its loyal readers updates on the Southland Conference basketball schedules as information becomes available. All schedule information below is subject to change and fans are encouraged to share links/information confirming other dates.

NOTE: The league will implement a rule, starting for the 2019-20 season that no men's or women's basketball team will schedule a non-conference opponent that finished worse than 299 in the previous season's final Rating Percentage Index, which measures teams based on their wins, losses and strength of schedule. Also in 2019-20, the league will go to a 20-game conference schedule, up from 18 games.

Full Story

2018-19 Confirmed Out of Conference Opponents for League Schools

ABILENE CHRISTIAN
Home: Arkansas State, Campbell, McMurry, Howard Payne
Road: Texas State *, Pepperdine, Denver, Southeast Missouri State, Texas Tech
Neutral: Pacific Classic (at Pacific, vs UC-Riverside, vs Elon)

CENTRAL ARKANSAS
Home: UALR, South Carolina St *, Ozarks
Road: UALR, Alcorn State, Louisville, Oklahoma State, Missouri
Neutral/Tournament: Barclays Classic (at Pitt, vs teams from a list that includes North Alabama, Saint Louis, Troy)

HOUSTON BAPTIST
Home: UTSA *
Road: Texas State *, Wake Forest

INCARNATE WORD
Home: Northern Colorado, Texas-Tyler, Texas Lutheran
Road: LSU, Illinois-Chicago, DePaul, Texas Tech
Neutral: Islands of the Bahamas Showcase (Loyola Chicago, Towson, Pepperdine, Georgia Southern, Florida Atlantic, Miami (OH) and North Dakota State)

LAMAR
Home: Southern Illinois *
Road: Cal St-Bakersfield *, Rice, Houston, at SMU
Neutral/Tournament: Ga Tech MTE (@ Ga Tech, vs East Carolina/UTRGV/Prairie View)

McNEESE STATE
Home: Loyola Marymount *, North Carolina Central *
Road: UL-Lafayette *, UT-RGV, at SMU

NEW ORLEANS
Home: Spring Hill, Louisiana-Lafayette, Pensacola Christian, South Alabama, Governors State, Williams Baptist
Road: Northwestern, UAB, Tulsa, Pittsburgh, Baylor

NICHOLLS
Home: Seattle *
Road: Idaho *, Louisville
Neutral: Emerald Coast Classic (@Ole Miss, @Baylor, vs North Carolina A&T; winner/loser vs Western Michigan or Southern BR)

NORTHWESTERN STATE
Road: Texas Tech, SMU
Neutral/Tournament: MTE event featuring @Houston, @Rice and Alabama A&M (includes game at BYU)

SAM HOUSTON STATE
Home: Central Michigan, East Texas Baptist
Road: Little Rock, Utah Valley, Colorado State
Neutral/Tournament: Cayman Classic (@ Clemson, @ Georgia, two neutral site mainland games - opponents TBA)

SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA
Home: UL-Lafayette *, Grambling*, ULM *
Road: LSU, Texas Tech
Neutral/Tournament: Ole Miss (Jackson, MS); Hall of Fame Classic (@ Tx Tech, @ Nebraska, two games TBA on campus site - Mississippi Valley State, Robert Morris and/or Stetson)

STEPHEN F. AUSTIN
Home: Louisiana Tech *, Alabama
Road: North Dakota St *
Neutral: Belfast Classic (vs San Fransisco, then winner/loser vs Buffalo or Milwaukee)

TEXAS A&M - CORPUS CHRISTI
Home: UT-RGV, Howard Payne
Road: UT-RGV, Oklahoma State, UT-Arlington
Neutral/Tournament: Hardwood Showcase: Teams include Arkansas, Indiana, Montana State, UC-Davis, UT-Arlington

* (potentially based off of 2017-18 sked)

nacluth
I don't particularly see how going to a 20 game schedule helps anyone in the SLC. Just seems to put more discrepancy in the four teams you don't play twice. Also means cutting down your non-conference play. Don't get me wrong, I see how it benefits SFA's chances of winning league titles, but it's not changing the fact that it still comes down to the SLC tournament. I would prefer less than more honestly.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
CLHawkins
nacluth said:

I don't particularly see how going to a 20 game schedule helps anyone in the SLC. Just seems to put more discrepancy in the four teams you don't play twice. Also means cutting down your non-conference play. Don't get me wrong, I see how it benefits SFA's chances of winning league titles, but it's not changing the fact that it still comes down to the SLC tournament. I would prefer less than more honestly.

At least it cuts the need to schedule the NAIA or D-2/3 schools because you have less non-con games to fill.
PurpleOut
Staff
CLHawkins said:

nacluth said:

At least it cuts the need to schedule the NAIA or D-2/3 schools because you have less non-con games to fill.

That's probably something that will never change unless more rules are made. I know we all hate it, but sometimes there's just not a good way around it.
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth said:

Agreed. It may slightly help the best team achieve a better RPI, which could result in a better tournament seed, but that's still a lower probability compared to most conferences.
TallTexan
Can we do 20 games & ditch a few teams to get down to 10? I'd love to play everyone home & home.
nacluth
That's exactly what I would like in a theoretical way. However, the commissioner says he's committed to keeping all schools.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
nacluth said:

That's exactly what I would like in a theoretical way. However, the commissioner says he's committed to keeping all schools.
Some of these jokers have no business in the SLC.

BigJack85
I've been out front on this. I think UIW and HBU absolutely do not belong. Kick them to the WAC with UTRGV.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I've been out front on this. I think UIW and HBU absolutely do not belong. Kick them to the WAC with UTRGV.

Agreed. I'd ditch 1 more to get to 10, but the last 1 would be a harder decision.
SFAJack_76
176th of 353 D1 non-conference schedules to be released. 2/20 @ SFA.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.