2024-2025 Lumberjack Basketball

29,441 Views | 300 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by Jacks1989
Jacks1989
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just wondering everyone's thoughts on comparing Theirno to Jalil. Is he better than Jalil? Worse or about the same.
BigJack85
I don't think he plays defense as well as Nana but hard to tell. Offensively, I think if we can coach him to get inside, he'll feast in SLC competition. Better than Nana.

Nana can compliment as a light-power forward.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks1989 said:

Just wondering everyone's thoughts on comparing Theirno to Jalil. Is he better than Jalil? Worse or about the same.

Good question, but honestly it's just too soon for a comparison based on a few cherry-picked videos. Just a guessing game at this point.
Rev007
Good to see a signee with height. Looks like his shooting percentage is kinda weak. Really don't care too much about that if he can block shots and rebound.

I've been here in Greece for the past two weeks. I got an opportunity to see Walkup. He's on the Olympiacos team in Piraeus, part of Athens. He is really doing well. I mentioned to four different Greeks that I was going to watch a player from my university. They all asked who is this player. When I said Walkup, collectively, they all said he was the best player on the team. He is the favorite player of many. He recently received the Defensive Player of the Year in the Euro League.

Do you think we'll ever get a player like Walkup again? We can only hope
SFAXE93
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFA88
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

WE GOT A BIG!!!

Thierno Sylla from UCF! 6'11"

Played in 32 of the 33 games with 10 starts, averaging 14.9 minutes per game. Shot .381 on the season, .279 on 61 threes, and .657 from the FT line. Averaged 3.9 rebounds and 4.3 points per game.

I am underwhelmed.
Me too. He is terrible offensively - can't shoot FG, 3s, or FT. Let's hope his D is good.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Let's trust SFA's coaches who have actually seen him play and have no doubt received input on him from several sources.
BigJack85
Everything is relative. This kind of size with "some" mobility should cause issues in the SLC.
No-look
SFA88 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

WE GOT A BIG!!!

Played in 32 of the 33 games with 10 starts, averaging 14.9 minutes per game. Shot .381 on the season, .279 on 61 threes, and .657 from the FT line. Averaged 3.9 rebounds and 4.3 points per game.

I am underwhelmed.
Me too. He is terrible offensively - can't shoot FG, 3s, or FT. Let's hope his D is good.
if he can play in the Big 12 he can play in the SLC.
Jacks1989
Agree, if he can play in the Big 12 he can play in the SLC. Not worried about his shooting. Just want him to be a vacuum cleaner on the boards.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Let's trust SFA's coaches who have actually seen him play and have no doubt received input on him from several sources.
Don't get me wrong, I hope he does really well. However, these are the same coaches that brought us 6'11"Jonathan Aku from an SEC team.
SFASawmillGuy
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Don't get me wrong, I hope he does really well. However, these are the same coaches that brought us 6'11"Jonathan Aku from an SEC team.

Transfer players in any team sport are always hard to judge. It's a change in culture, system, and coaching. Every player is different.

I was personally friends with players on Kasper's teams who excelled on Underwood's teams who said the difference in coaching was night and day. Hell Jacob Parker being allowed to grow his hair out was a bigger deal than anyone knows. Players react to different systems differently, and that applies to every level, high school, college, and pro.

My point is we can't really know how well he's gonna do until he's in the system. Certain systems will get the best out of players, some will bring them down a little lower.
SFAJack_76
SFASawmillGuy said:

SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Transfer players in any team sport are always hard to judge. It's a change in culture, system, and coaching. Every player is different.

I was personally friends with players on Kasper's teams who excelled on Underwood's teams who said the difference in coaching was night and day. Hell Jacob Parker being allowed to grow his hair out was a bigger deal than anyone knows. Players react to different systems differently, and that applies to every level, high school, college, and pro.

My point is we can't really know how well he's gonna do until he's in the system. Certain systems will get the best out of players, some will bring them down a little lower.

Good points. Question to the group, what players in the last four years have really developed in year two or three from who they were in year one?
No-look
Jilil made a big leap in his second year. Christmas is one of my picks this year.
nacluth
Solid question: Really only one real answer and that's Beaubrun. Now he dealt with injuries in his first year, but was ineffective when he saw playing time. He made great strides last year.

Nana has improved every year incrementally. Looking forward to his fifth season.

Hayman had growth this past year. Hopefully the third year sees an improvement on consistency.

Fudging your four year rule a tad. Calvin Solomon had a huge upswing from year one to two.

But player development has been a weakness for a while since Cox left.

Talked briefly to Nana who said the UCF player was "really good," but also mentioned that the determining factor for the season would be how well the team came together and bought in. Of course, we could probably say that for every year.
Jacks1989
I think Aku's issue was that he was a walking foul. He was a foul a minute during his time at SFA.
SFA88
No-look said:

SFA88 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

WE GOT A BIG!!!

I am underwhelmed.
Apparently, he can't play in the Big 12 or any other power conference because he didn't transfer to one. It also doesn't matter which conference you are in when you shoot free throws. Like 76 I hope he develops and plays well.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA88 said:

No-look said:

SFA88 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

WE GOT A BIG!!!

I am underwhelmed.
Apparently, he can't play in the Big 12 or any other power conference because he didn't transfer to one. It also doesn't matter which conference you are in when you shoot free throws. Like 76 I hope he develops and plays well.

Using that line of thinking, then UT transfer Chris Johnson couldn't play in any other power conference either because he didn't transfer to one, right?
Jacks1989
Lost
AJ, Staine, Jossell, Jalil and Wilson

Replaced with
Thompson, Lamar, Johnson and Sylla

One scholarship left or 2? Am I missing someone?
No-look
Jacks1989 said:

Lost
AJ, Staine, Jossell, Jalil and Wilson

Replaced with
Thompson, Lamar, Johnson and Sylla

One scholarship left or 2? Am I missing someone?
should be three left.
Jacks1989
I left Day Day off the list.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks1989 said:

Point Guard - Nate Calmese is still in the portal!

ICYMI, he signed with Washington State a couple of days ago.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Solid question: Really only one real answer and that's Beaubrun. Now he dealt with injuries in his first year, but was ineffective when he saw playing time. He made great strides last year.

Nana has improved every year incrementally. Looking forward to his fifth season.

Hayman had growth this past year. Hopefully the third year sees an improvement on consistency.

Fudging your four year rule a tad. Calvin Solomon had a huge upswing from year one to two.

But player development has been a weakness for a while since Cox left.

Talked briefly to Nana who said the UCF player was "really good," but also mentioned that the determining factor for the season would be how well the team came together and bought in. Of course, we could probably say that for every year.
So, the two players you mention that showed meaningful development, left SFA. Neither left to chase NIL money. Speaking of Beaubrun, he followed former assistant Tanner Smith to App State.

Jacks1989
SFAXE93

G: DOMINIC PANGONIS 6-7 Burlington, Ontario (New Horizon/Wyoming) *** #7 ON; #45 SG
Offers from Wyoming, Bradley, Brown, Drexel, Holy Gross, Old Dominion, Penn

"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks1989 said:

Offered or signed???
Jacks1989
From what it looks like he has committed. Not sure if he has signed.

SFA Jack Fanatic
A quick look at his evals on the interwebs indicate that he's a shooter. In an interview he says his strengths are "3-point shooting off the dribble and catch-and-shoot, and mid-range".

He's a freshman, so he'll have a lot to learn and develop at the D-1 level. He slinder, but weight 185, not bad at 6'6".

BTW, he's Lithuanian, and we know that Lithuanians "bleed hoops".

Looks like he'll be a good one. Let's get him signed.
No-look
According to his twitter account he has signed
SFA Jack Fanatic
Here's a bit more on Pangonis...

Pangonis requested that Wyoming let him out of his scholarship agreement when Wyoming changed their head coach. Former HC Jeff Linder had this to say about Pangonis when he was originally signed by Wyoming last November...

"We're ecstatic to welcome Dom to the Cowboy family. Dom comes from a winning background in Canada, being a product of an exceptional prep program in Polaris Prep and AAU program in Canada Elite. He has been coached at a high level and we have seen him improve immensely from year to year…which tells us so much about his upside and desire to be great.

Dom brings great size, length, shooting and athleticism to the program. He has a motor that doesn't stop running and is always looking to make the "winning" play. He also has an innate ability to process the game quickly and effectively, to make plays that not every player sees. Dom has the type of character and strong academic background that we strive to fill our locker room with. We can't wait to have Dom's mix of size and feel for the game at the guard spot in the Cowboy program for the next four years."

No-look
Still need another point guard. Two spots left.
Jacks1989

Robbie!
No-look
Glad he found a home.
BigJack85
No-look said:

Glad he found a home.

Disappointed. So much potential.
nacluth
Wow. Academy of Art basketball team. That's cool. Weird but cool.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.