2024-2025 Lumberjack Basketball

59,281 Views | 474 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Jacks1989
MasterAxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFAXE93 said:

Wow, Southwick scored 20 points and grabbed 13 rebounds in the game.

By: Jackson Pickard, Graduate Assistant for Strategic Communications
Florence, Italy- The Stephen F. Austin men's basketball team won their first game in Italy yesterday, 67-55, over Stella Azzurra Academy.

Senior forward Clayton Southwick led the way for the Lumberjacks, scoring 20 points and shooting 9-for-20 from the field and 2-for-6 from the charity stripe (.333). Southwick also racked up 13 rebounds to a first double-double for the game.

Florida A&M transfer Keith Lamar totaled 11 points in the win. Lamar was 4-for-7 from the field and totaled three rebounds.

Chrishawn Christmas finished second with 11 total rebounds. The junior forward was the third leading scorer for the 'Jacks, finishing 4-for-7 from the field and 1-for-2 from the free throw line with nine points.

The Lumberjacks will return to action tomorrow, Wednesday, August 7th, at 9:30 A.M. CT against Kuntic Academy for the second of three scheduled games on the trip.
My #batteredlumberjackbasketballfan mind went right to: "Oh, 3-8 from the free throw line. I am sure this will get corrected and there is zero chance this comes back to bite us at all."
SCH890
No-look said:

SCH890 said:

Haven't been keeping up with Keller's videos. Has Chris Johnson been doing good in the offseason? Thought he was a solid recuit/pick up for us.
Keller said he had a quad injury. Should be playing soon
Thanks!
Jacks1989
Hopefully we will get a write up on the game. Sounds like it was a team effort. Lots of contributors. Sylla is one big dude!
djsfw57
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I got a headache listening to this thing. Sometimes SFA's media people get a little too creative.
You know what they say - different strokes. I LOVED it! I thought it was fitting for a tape shot in Italy.
SFA, Class of 1979
BigJack85
djsfw57 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I got a headache listening to this thing. Sometimes SFA's media people get a little too creative.
You know what they say - different strokes. I LOVED it! I thought it was fitting for a tape shot in Italy.

I agree Loved the creativity
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
Here comes the boom!

No-look
I know it's too early but this team could have some serious chemistry.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFA Jack Fanatic
Random thoughts about the Italy trip...

Based on the rather limited info we've been receiving, and without knowing much about the quality of their opponents, it appears that the Jacks played pretty darned well in their trip to Italy. I can't help but wonder... Can the Jacks maintain that level of play and get even better while they knock heads with each other over the next couple of months, since there will now be a long spell until the regular season starts in November? In the past few seasons that knocking heads time is when the Jacks under Keller have suffered injuries. What are your thoughts, guys?

Also, my thanks to the SFA media guys who made the trip with them. No live videos, but they kept us fairly well informed along the way. Better than expected, IMO.

Also, huge thanks to the alumni and supporters who financially made this trip possible. It has to put the Jacks ahead of our future opponents who didn't have the benefit of such a preseason trip.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Random thoughts about the Italy trip...

Based on the rather limited info we've been receiving, and without knowing much about the quality of their opponents, it appears that the Jacks played pretty darned well in their trip to Italy. I can't help but wonder... Can the Jacks maintain that level of play and get even better while they knock heads with each other over the next couple of months, since there will now be a long spell until the regular season starts in November? In the past few seasons that knocking heads time is when the Jacks under Keller have suffered injuries. What are your thoughts, guys?

Also, my thanks to the SFA media guys who made the trip with them. No live videos, but they kept us fairly well informed along the way. Better than expected, IMO.

Also, huge thanks to the alumni and supporters who financially made this trip possible. It has to put the Jacks ahead of our future opponents who didn't have the benefit of such a preseason trip.

These guys aren't going to be afraid of McNeese.
Jacks1989
Looks like a great trip for the Jacks. Sounds like coach found a really good replacement for AJ with Thompson. We need that floor leader to run the point like AJ did. The injuries are the issue. Seems like every year during the summer season the Jacks are snake bit with them. So possibly one of the Top additions to the team this spring is hurt? Chris Johnson? Quad injury? Did he play any in Italy? Any updates on him?
nacluth
I don't know if we can take any real insight from the basketball play, but I'm all for the trip from a team building standpoint and extra live game practice. November still feels far away.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

I don't know if we can take any real insight from the basketball play, but I'm all for the trip from a team building standpoint and extra live game practice. November still feels far away.

Haven't seen the non conference schedule. How meaningful of a test will it be? Waiting.
SCH890
Jacks1989 said:

Looks like a great trip for the Jacks. Sounds like coach found a really good replacement for AJ with Thompson. We need that floor leader to run the point like AJ did. The injuries are the issue. Seems like every year during the summer season the Jacks are snake bit with them. So possibly one of the Top additions to the team this spring is hurt? Chris Johnson? Quad injury? Did he play any in Italy? Any updates on him?
The good thing atleast we have a long time until the season starts. If he is still activly engaged with the team and keeping chemistry on the high. Im aokay with people being more cautious with injuries.
No-look
SFAXE93 said:

Here comes the boom!

. Don't know if they are good players but there a couple trees on the other team.
Jacks1989
https://www.dailysentinel.com/sports/keller-lumberjacks-got-better-in-italy/article_9fb02b88-d566-54ea-a679-ec8417ed74bf.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Good article about Italy trip.
No-look
So Myles Jenkins, Chris Johnson and Keenan Emanuel are out with injuries until September?
nacluth
"We're as advanced as we've ever been."

We'll just keep this quote in chalk and see if it lasts.
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

So Myles Jenkins, Chris Johnson and Keenan Emanuel are out with injuries until September?

Sounds like the guys have the next three weeks off. Well deserved.
Jacks1989

The Juice! Wish he was coming back.

Play of the Year!
SFAXE93
Does it start with a S?

TallTexan
SEC!
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

SEC!

Or SWAC?
Jacks1989
Any news on when the schedule will be released? Hopefully we will get a big game this year!
BigJack85
Jacks1989 said:

Any news on when the schedule will be released? Hopefully we will get a big game this year!

It's about time.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

SEC!

Or SWAC?

I'd love to see those bands visiting.
LUMBERJACK2005
Nothing message board related, but proud to say that one of my former players will be joining the SFA men's basketball team as a student assistant this year. Previously had a former player, Leon Gilmore, play for the team. Just need one to become a coach at SFA now to complete trifecta. Proud Lumberjack,
No-look
Any more non conference scheduling news?
Jacks1989
Playing University of Dallas on Nov 12th.

wahlwesle
The only thing good that can come of this game is to beat them by more than Sam does. Otherwise, a waste of a schedule slot.
BigJack85
wahlwesle said:

The only thing good that can come of this game is to beat them by more than Sam does. Otherwise, a waste of a schedule slot.

I don't know why, but I'm anticipating a Charmin soft schedule. We've got the 3 MTE games 1. Presbyterian 2. Monmouth 3. Youngstown. Add Arkansas St. Now that blockbuster U of Dallas. That's 5.

We need 5 more. Guessing. 2X SWAC. 1X Big12 1X AAC 1X D2.
SCH890
BigJack85 said:

wahlwesle said:

I don't know why, but I'm anticipating a Charmin soft schedule. We've got the 3 MTE games 1. Presbyterian 2. Monmouth 3. Youngstown. Add Arkansas St. Now that blockbuster U of Dallas. That's 5.

We need 5 more. Guessing. 2X SWAC. 1X Big12 1X AAC 1X D2.
Looks like we got ACU on December 31 at ACU

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.