2024-2025 Lumberjack Basketball

59,284 Views | 474 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Jacks1989
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nacluth said:

Seems very logical to me. You take the wins or NET from last year to make your poll and you would come to the same conclusion. The SLC is not going to be a cakewalk.

Looks like we have good parts, but the Jacks have never been great without a leader. Who's going to be the leader?

Not a cakewalk, but not as deep as the WAC. IMHO.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
Definitely not
BigJack85
Listening to the "Partin Me Alex" podcast with Kyle Keller. He sounds pretty upbeat about the team. Excited about the trip to Italy. A couple of the new guys sound pretty intriguing.

Based on his comments, the schedule sounds like a complete snooze fest. He didn't reveal anything new, but if I was guessing, we have the three team MTE = Youngstown, Presbyterian and Monmouth. A couple of local D2 squads (I'm guessing something like North American and LeTourneau ). Throw in a SWAC school. ACU and a couple of unknown's. I'll be begging for the WAC by early February.
SFASawmillGuy
BigJack85 said:

Listening to the "Partin Me Alex" podcast with Kyle Keller. He sounds pretty upbeat about the team. Excited about the trip to Italy. A couple of the new guys sound pretty intriguing.

Based on his comments, the schedule sounds like a complete snooze fest. He didn't reveal anything new, but if I was guessing, we have the three team MTE = Youngstown, Presbyterian and Monmouth. A couple of local D2 squads (I'm guessing something like North American and LeTourneau ). Throw in a SWAC school. ACU and a couple of unknown's. I'll be begging for the WAC by early February.

Kind of surprised that after our past few seasons, we still can't get any good money games scheduled. Or even bad money games. I would kill for games against UNT, Tx State, or UTEP at this point.

Surprised a yearly home/home with Prison Tech isn't apart of our schedule too. It feels like one of the oldest rivalries in Texas died very quickly…
BigJack85
SFASawmillGuy said:

BigJack85 said:

Kind of surprised that after our past few seasons, we still can't get any good money games scheduled. Or even bad money games. I would kill for games against UNT, Tx State, or UTEP at this point.

Surprised a yearly home/home with Prison Tech isn't apart of our schedule too. It feels like one of the oldest rivalries in Texas died very quickly…

Maybe we get one of those games. Idk. Keller didn't announce anything as such. Seems like more and more D1 schools are rolling out there MBB basketball schedule. SFA still waiting to fill this schedule out tells me that we've got some holes to fill.
TallTexan
SFASawmillGuy said:

BigJack85 said:

ACU and GCU still get those games. "Folks dont want to play us" is just what we tell ourselves to feel better about not scheduling many of them.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

SFASawmillGuy said:

BigJack85 said:

ACU and GCU still get those games. "Folks dont want to play us" is just what we tell ourselves to feel better about not scheduling many of them.

I mean yes but they also didn't beat the #1 team in the country. It feels like we made that excuse before we beat Duke, but still managed to get at least one or two power team to play us. Since Duke we really haven't been able to. I see literally no other reason why we have more of an issue with scheduling other than someone in charge of scheduling is not doing their job very well. They should be on the phone today for next year's schedule and maybe even the next year's.

Not just in basketball. Give us NDSU, Montana, Sac St, or Jackson State in football.

Good non conference matchups in sports create champions and gives you a measuring stick for the season North American and La Torneau only gives us a scrimmage against a different uniform and players who wouldn't make our practice squad.
BigJack85
SFASawmillGuy said:

TallTexan said:

SFASawmillGuy said:

BigJack85 said:

I mean yes but they also didn't beat the #1 team in the country. It feels like we made that excuse before we beat Duke, but still managed to get at least one or two power team to play us. Since Duke we really haven't been able to. I see literally no other reason why we have more of an issue with scheduling other than someone in charge of scheduling is not doing their job very well. They should be on the phone today for next year's schedule and maybe even the next year's.

Not just in basketball. Give us NDSU, Montana, Sac St, or Jackson State in football.

Good non conference matchups in sports create champions and gives you a measuring stick for the season North American and La Torneau only gives us a scrimmage against a different uniform and players who wouldn't make our practice squad.

For the record, Keller said nothing about who will be on our schedule. Just a guess on my behalf.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
Italia!

SFAXE93
SFAXE93

SFA Jack Fanatic
I'm expecting great contributions from Lamar this year. Very athletic.

Coach K said the Jacks didn't make a three the whole game. An anomaly, I sure hope. He also said that only nine guys played. Minor injuries, hopefully.
No-look
Wonder which players didn't play? Minor injuries I would assume?
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

Wonder which players didn't play? Minor injuries I would assume?

Maybe they had the fish on the plane ride over. (Airplane!)
SCH890
SFAXE93 said:

Some new Uniforms also? I don't remember the cursive Jacks before.
SFAXE93

TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Coach K said the Jacks didn't make a three the whole game. An anomaly, I sure hope. He also said that only nine guys played. Minor injuries, hopefully.

No 3s? I've been on this ride before and I want off.

Maybe we just forgot to pack them for the trip?
No-look
TallTexan said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

No 3s? I've been on this ride before and I want off.

Maybe we just forgot to pack them for the trip?
I'm sure it was an oversight. Probably left them at the hotel…
SFAXE93
Wow, Southwick scored 20 points and grabbed 13 rebounds in the game.

By: Jackson Pickard, Graduate Assistant for Strategic Communications
Florence, Italy- The Stephen F. Austin men's basketball team won their first game in Italy yesterday, 67-55, over Stella Azzurra Academy.

Senior forward Clayton Southwick led the way for the Lumberjacks, scoring 20 points and shooting 9-for-20 from the field and 2-for-6 from the charity stripe (.333). Southwick also racked up 13 rebounds to a first double-double for the game.

Florida A&M transfer Keith Lamar totaled 11 points in the win. Lamar was 4-for-7 from the field and totaled three rebounds.

Chrishawn Christmas finished second with 11 total rebounds. The junior forward was the third leading scorer for the 'Jacks, finishing 4-for-7 from the field and 1-for-2 from the free throw line with nine points.

The Lumberjacks will return to action tomorrow, Wednesday, August 7th, at 9:30 A.M. CT against Kuntic Academy for the second of three scheduled games on the trip.
Jacks1989
Wow! 20 points and 13 boards from Clayton. Great news!

Sounds like CC and Lamar also had big games. I wonder if Johnson and Thompson didn't play. Expecting big numbers from those two.

Glad to see there was a write up on the game.
SFAXE93
SFA Jack Fanatic
Interesting side note... The last two summers Kuntic Academy has hosted exhibition games with Maryland, Marquette, Pitt, and Gonzaga.
No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Interesting side note... The last two summers Kuntic Academy has hosted exhibition games with Maryland, Marquette, Pitt, and Gonzaga.
wonder how those games turned out?
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
Lamar!

SFAXE93
SFAXE93
No-look
Nice!
SCH890
Haven't been keeping up with Keller's videos. Has Chris Johnson been doing good in the offseason? Thought he was a solid recuit/pick up for us.
No-look
No-look
SCH890 said:

Haven't been keeping up with Keller's videos. Has Chris Johnson been doing good in the offseason? Thought he was a solid recuit/pick up for us.
Keller said he had a quad injury. Should be playing soon
SFA Jack Fanatic
Coach K said it was a Serbian pro team that the Jacks blew out today. Sounds good!
SFAXE93
SFA Jack Fanatic
I got a headache listening to this thing. Sometimes SFA's media people get a little too creative.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.