2024-2025 Lumberjack Basketball

33,170 Views | 329 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by No-look
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Official

https://sfajacks.com/news/2024/5/28/mens-basketball-lumberjacks-add-dominic-pangolins-to-high-caliber-spring-class
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
TallTexan
Interesting note if Pangolins and Sylla are on student visas, they aren't eligible for NIL typically.

Purdue scheduled a game in Canada so that Zach Edey could have a day to go so shoots for some NIl deals. That was the only work around.
nacluth
Are we now opening a pipeline to Europe and Africa for recruiting? This may be a wild side effect for the NCAA decision.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Are we now opening a pipeline to Europe and Africa for recruiting? This may be a wild side effect for the NCAA decision.

Had not even considered that. More US players taking the rev share deal could mean more international players to the other schools for sure.
Danzinrick
Not a very good shooting pct but having someone that tall is very intimidating.
Danzinrick
Only have Keon Thompson highlights to make a judgment but he appears to be a great addition. Small but quick and a great shooter.
No-look
Getting late in the recruiting season. Wonder who we're looking at as a backup point guard etc?
BigJack85
No-look said:

Getting late in the recruiting season. Wonder who we're looking at as a backup point guard etc?

It would seem that we would be signing someone shortly.
BigJack85
Lots of McNeese MBB peeps talking trash on Twitter. We have a lot to prove. Will Wade has done some recruiting. Hope Keller has the troops ready. Starting to feel like this will become a rivalry.
Jacks1989
https://collegesportswire.usatoday.com/lists/transfer-portal-mid-major-college-basketball-grand-canyon-mcneese/

Article mentions both McNeese and Grand Canyon.
TallTexan
No-look said:

Nacluth has been working on his crossover.
BigJack85
Jacks1989 said:

https://collegesportswire.usatoday.com/lists/transfer-portal-mid-major-college-basketball-grand-canyon-mcneese/

There for real, for sure. Not sure we have all the horses, but it sure looks like Keller has some talent coming in. Add in our returners. Hayman, Christmas and Nana are solid "high level" SLC caliber players at worst. I don't know if we can win the conference first year back, but we should be in the top 3.
No-look
Seen where T Grant Foster is returning to GCU
No-look
TallTexan said:

No-look said:

It's his defense that he needs to work on.
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

TallTexan said:

No-look said:

It's his defense that he needs to work on.

Let's be honest, the only crossover he's working on is the route he takes during his evening jogs around town.
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

Jacks1989 said:

There for real, for sure. Not sure we have all the horses, but it sure looks like Keller has some talent coming in. Add in our returners. Hayman, Christmas and Nana are solid "high level" SLC caliber players at worst. I don't know if we can win the conference first year back, but we should be in the top 3.

You guys have been drinking the McNeese Kool Aide hype. A few weeks ago the Jacks were picked 2nd in a way-too-early poll of the WAC. Do you honestly think we can't win the lowly Southland??? Oh, come on!
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

BigJack85 said:

Jacks1989 said:

You guys have been drinking the McNeese Kool Aide hype. A few weeks ago the Jacks were picked 2nd in a way-too-early poll of the WAC. Do you honestly think we can't win the lowly Southland??? Oh, come on!

I think we have a good shot. But, let's face it, this McNeese team has some serious talent coming. Can we beat them? For sure. I want to see how Keller and Krew compete in non-conference. That will give us a gauge.
nacluth
I think it's ok to say that McNeese is the preseason #1 team. They had a great year last year. They played 5 Q1/Q2 games and won 3 of them. SFA went 1-5 in our six Q1/Q2 games. Now SFA played 11 quad 3 games compared to McNeese's 4, so it's clear that the WAC was a much stronger league.

However, and maybe our Cowboy friends can chime in, what I'm curious about is if the SLC is just a 2 pony race in men's basketball? Can Corpus or anyone else compete next year? In a decidedly down season for SFA, our ratings (not standings) would have had us in second in the SLC last year. Just curious.

On a side note, is there any real competition for the Ladyjacks this year?
SCH890
nacluth said:

I think it's ok to say that McNeese is the preseason #1 team. They had a great year last year. They played 5 Q1/Q2 games and won 3 of them. SFA went 1-5 in our six Q1/Q2 games. Now SFA played 11 quad 3 games compared to McNeese's 4, so it's clear that the WAC was a much stronger league.

However, and maybe our Cowboy friends can chime in, what I'm curious about is if the SLC is just a 2 pony race in men's basketball? Can Corpus or anyone else compete next year? In a decidedly down season for SFA, our ratings (not standings) would have had us in second in the SLC last year. Just curious.

I don't think there is ever competition for the ladies in SLC. Maybe a few thorns but nothing stopping the train.
TallTexan
Personally, I think it will benefit the SFA team and fanbase if the men's team is picked 2nd or lower.

Heck I hope some of the coaches hold a grudge and vote us sixth. Light a fire under everyone for the disrespect.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SCH890 said:

nacluth said:

I don't think there is ever competition for the ladies in SLC. Maybe a few thorns but nothing stopping the train.

Agreed. The Ladyjacks lost some talent but, IMO, gained more than they lost. They will be fine.
Ljacks&Longnecks
To say the Ladyjacks lost some talent is a huge understatement. Harden, Finau, Deck, Tyler, Lombard. That's a starting 5 for most any mid-major. I would rate those losses as HUGE.

On the good side, Coach Bishop faced a similar situation last year and still got a strong team put together and narrowly missed the Dance. Certainly hope that he has done it again with the new recruits and transfers.
Jacks1989
I watched a number of McNeese games last year. They had a really good team and I personally think they would have beat our Jacks. This Cowboy team should be the preseason pick to win the Southland. I think it is going to be a big battle between the Jacks and Cowboys this coming year. For all the doubters about how good McNeese is going to be, read this.

https://theportalreport.com/2024/05/30/mcneese-state-rebuilt-for-dominance-in-the-southland-conference/3/

SCH890
Jacks1989 said:

I watched a number of McNeese games last year. They had a really good team and I personally think they would have beat our Jacks. This Cowboy team should be the preseason pick to win the Southland. I think it is going to be a big battle between the Jacks and Cowboys this coming year. For all the doubters about how good McNeese is going to be, read this.

https://theportalreport.com/2024/05/30/mcneese-state-rebuilt-for-dominance-in-the-southland-conference/3/

Recruits is only one thing. Plenty of times we've had all star and got nothing out of it. Its more chemistry and see where it goes. Not to be a selfish player. So be curious how two basically new rosters pan out.

According to Verbal Commits McNeese is at 3.06/5 RPS versus SFA at 3.45/5 RPS.

Take that as you will but what the number shows SFA is up.
jboy93

Haven't seen too many coaches with ads on their game attire (other than Nike, Under Armour etc). Looks like he is working the fund raising too!
BigJack85
jboy93 said:

Haven't seen too many coaches with ads on their game attire (other than Nike, Under Armour etc). Looks like he is working the fund raising too!

We better beat these guys. They have a rabid Twitter following. Annoying.
BigJack85
Jacks1989 said:

I don't doubt that they'll be good. Can they handle our on ball defense for 40 minutes?
SCH890
Honestly nothing special out of Keller's statement.

jboy93
SCH890 said:

Wait...what? We have had victorIES at Duke? Some might take his use of the plural there way too literal! lol
His half smile there at the end was a little like "hey, someone made me do this"!
SCH890
jboy93 said:

SCH890 said:

Wait...what? We have had victorIES at Duke? Some might take his use of the plural there way too literal! lol
His half smile there at the end was a little like "hey, someone made me do this"!
Haha. I thought he would at least go into a bit more details like Carthel.
SFAJack_76
Six coaches have done these so far that have been posted. Only one did not say anything about the benefits to athlete's academics. Only one said the same thing three times … word salad. Only one clearly appears to not want to do it.

The coaches have a new boss. And, a new President. The mission was to speak to how the move to the SLC is a positive for their sport, the alumni, the parents and friends, the community, the university, and the student-athletes. Maybe just me, but I would want to make a good impression.
BigJack85
SCH890 said:

jboy93 said:

SCH890 said:

Keller to a T. A big part (30% - 40%) of this move is about fans (like me in Houston) getting to see more of our Lumberjacks. Men's basketball, is probably 1 or 2 in travel support. I look forward to the opportunity, to see more Lumberjack MBB/WBB/WVB & FB
SCH890
BigJack85 said:

SCH890 said:

jboy93 said:

SCH890 said:

Keller to a T. A big part (30% - 40%) of this move is about fans (like me in Houston) getting to see more of our Lumberjacks. Men's basketball, is probably 1 or 2 in travel support. I look forward to the opportunity, to see more Lumberjack MBB/WBB/WVB & FB
Oh for sure its for the Fans. I need to get back out to ETX to watch some. I do miss it. But atlas job market is kind of bad for where Im at.
BigJack85
SCH890 said:

BigJack85 said:

SCH890 said:

jboy93 said:

SCH890 said:

Oh for sure its for the Fans. I need to get back out to ETX to watch some. I do miss it. But atlas job market is kind of bad for where Im at.

Alas. Portland ain't bad. I lived in Seattle for 3. Loved it but glad to be where I can see my Jacks. I plan to make the game vs HCU, here in Houston. Either Lamar or McNeese. So 2 more road games than I made last year. Check.
Jacks1989
I plan on the same games. Will be at HCU, Lamar and McNeese games along with a number of SFA home games.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.