KenPom Rankings 2019-2020

72,048 Views | 346 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PurpleOut
sfajack05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jboy93 said:

I say we just stay in our own little world as Lumberjacks and just show everyone who we really are when we bust down the door to the freaken Sweet 16!
I agree. Moving up doesn't guarantee an at-large bid. Why not become the Gonzaga of the Southland. Look at where they were in the late 90's to where they are now. They are always in the talks for an at-large if they don't win their conference tournament. The foundation has been laid and the schedule has been getting better from where it was 10 years ago. Just keep building on that and who knows 5-10 years down the line where the Jacks will be.
TallTexan
If we could get a better commissioner, I think it would solve some of the more immediate issues we have with this conference.

Like the refs, the scheduling, lack of support for basketball, no free broadcast options. We need a Ryan Ivey type individual to replace Burnett.
No-look
To be consistently considered every year for bid in the tourney we have to win every year. Can't have debacles like last year. Coaches did an amazing job on recruiting which brought in a team with great chemistry to go with existing players. Next year should be a great season.... year after that it will be time to fill the tank again.... if we continue to win and knock off some big guys we will be good.
PurpleOut
Staff
29 votes now in the AP Top 25.

nacluth
I bet after we win this big rivalry game on Wednesday, voters will put us in the poll.
djsfw57
Slowly moving up. I'd love to see us ranked, but at least we're getting some attention from the pollsters.
sfa17
Not sure we have enough time to get ranked unfortunately. It's a slow grind up and also gonna need for some teams to lose in the next couple of weeks.
cboothe09
Current Rankings:
AP: Receiving 29 votes (#32) Votes range from 22-25.
USA Today Coaches: Receiving 3 votes (#36)
MidMajor Madness: #21
CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top-25: #8
NET (NCAA): #87
RPI: #93
Kenpom: #106
BPI (ESPN): #123
cboothe09
We have been doubling our vote totals the last few weeks. It will take some upsets, but IF we win out the regular season, and continue to double votes, it will be really close.

Win out and win the conference tournament and it will be hard to keep us out of the final AP poll. Even with the weak competition, 30-3 is impressive no matter how you split it, plus that would mean a 17-game winning streak to end the season on...
nacluth
That's a nice thought, but I think there's 0.0 chance of getting ranked. We may have got a few more of the voters that have the mindset of giving us a vote, but many won't. We're still in the same spot because three teams way below us moved up. We just can't get that kind of upward momentum with the games we have left.

I think that's ok. We are not a top 25 team, but we can beat some in the tourney. I think a good goal is the Sweet 16 to show we are in the top 25 left standing. National recognition this year will pay off next year big time if we can keep rolling.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

National recognition this year will pay off next year big time if we can keep rolling.

Great thought and comment, Ryan!
SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

Current Rankings:
AP: Receiving 29 votes (#32) Votes range from 22-25.
USA Today Coaches: Receiving 3 votes (#36)
MidMajor Madness: #21
CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top-25: #8
NET (NCAA): #87
RPI: #93
Kenpom: #106
BPI (ESPN): #123

Thanks for doing the legwork to bring all of this together, 09. Nice job.
sfa17
I searched "Stephen f Austin" on twitter and 90 percent of the posts are from Kentucky fans comparing their Evansville lost to Duke's SFA loss. And that it isn't far. Man I love cbb
CertifiedAxeman98
Listen to Ken Pomeroy, BYU's Mark Pope and Maryland's Mark Turgeon from March Madness 365 with Andy Katz on Apple Podcasts.
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/march-madness-365-with-andy-katz/id1325823631?i=1000466592770
RichieVan
Today's episode of "Why Metrics are Incomprehensible" focuses on East Tennessee State.

The Buccaneers are 25-4, first in the Southern Conference. They are #60 in KenPom and under consideration for an at large bid if they do not win their conference. Joe Lunardi has the Bucs as an 11 seed (for reference, the Jacks are a 13 seed).

The Bucs signature win? At #30 NET and #35 KenPom LSU. Other than that win, no real "resume making" wins for the Bucs. Non-conference losses were both on the road, at Kansas and at North Dakota State (#126 KenPom).
The Bucs are 14-2 in conference, with a 9 point loss at Furman (#82 KenPom) and a stunning, 15 point loss at home to #207 (KenPom) Mercer. That is considered a Quad 4 loss. Mercer is a middling team in the Southern Conference, one game above .500 and 9-7 conference, much like Lamar (#238 KenPom).

So, ETSU has one signature win. SFA has one signature win which we would all agree is a much better win. Both teams have a quad 4 loss. It could be argued that the Jacks one point loss to a hot shooting Islander team is not as bad as a 15 point blowout at home.

So, it comes down to conference strength and the Southern is better. This is where the Jacks are severely penalized. And that is why people like Pomeroy are disavowing their own metrics, because you cannot really account for SFA in your ratings. We can all recall at least a half dozen games this year the Jacks could have blown away their opponent, only to allow points during garbage time.

Bottom line, if ETSU gets at-large consideration, so should the Jacks. But let's make that moot by winning Katy.
UPDATE: had to add this. You know all that criticism of the Jacks for having three non-D1 games on their schedule? ETSU has that as well. And ETSU's loss to the Mercer Bears? The Bears lost by 14 points to Holy Cross, 3-26 overall, #344 KenPom, on a neutral court.
Just sayin'.
SFAJack_76
Good stuff. Spot on that the issue is all about the Southland Conference. Playing 20 games in the 30th ranked conference in the country is all but impossible to overcome.
sfa17
yeah, the conference ETSU is in is ranked #13 out out 32. That is a big difference. Their conference wins means a little bit more and losses hurt a little bit less. The 2nd best team in Southland wouldnt even be a top 5 team in their conference

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/rpi-ranking/rpi-rating-by-conf
LUMBERJACK2005
sfa17 said:

I searched "Stephen f Austin" on twitter and 90 percent of the posts are from Kentucky fans comparing their Evansville lost to Duke's SFA loss. And that it isn't far. Man I love cbb
Lol, I did the exact same thing.
cboothe09
After last night's win:
NET (NCAA): #82 (Up 6 spots)
RPI: #93 (Up 2 spots)
Kenpom: #105
BPI (ESPN): #118 (Up 5 spots)
SFAJack_76
cboothe09 said:

After last night's win:
NET (NCAA): #82 (Up 6 spots)
RPI: #93 (Up 2 spots)
Kenpom: #105
BPI (ESPN): #118 (Up 5 spots)
Haslametrics has us up to 92.

The win last night is rated as our third best of the season, behind Duke and at UNO. The game at UIW on Saturday was our fifth best. Peaking at the right time? The eye test says yes, and data seems to support that.
RichieVan
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-power-rankings-kansas-and-dayton-pulling-away-from-the-rest-thanks-to-big-winning-streaks/
nacluth
SFA>Duke. He gets it.

SFAJack_76
RichieVan
Chapter 2 for SFA and WVU? Right now, Jerry Palm says so.....

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/

Also, Brad Underwood versus TJ Holyfield
nacluth
That would be a great matchup. They are terrible at free throws.
sfa17
PurpleOut
Staff
Fair, just not realistic unfortunately.

We're at least being talked about more than previous seasons. That 2012-2013 season when we lost to Northwestern State in the championship, we didn't even get a mention. We were 27-4 with a win over OU.
SFASawmillGuy
RichieVan said:

Chapter 2 for SFA and WVU? Right now, Jerry Palm says so.....

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/

Also, Brad Underwood versus TJ Holyfield

Maybe just give us an 11 seed and Illinois a 6 seed and we see an SFA Brad Underwood reunion
nacluth
9 ranked losses so far today.
Pilotgirl
sfa17
Pilotgirl
Yup. I know
SFA Jack Fanatic
Give those guys a trophy of some kind. The odds of pulling that off are astronomical!
SFA Jack Fanatic
We zoomed up one whole spot to #104.

That's five spots below 9-20 Kansas State. Yes, 9-20 K-State. Geez. What a worthless ranking system. (So why do I keep looking at it??)
RichieVan
Here is the argument for these metrics in a nutshell (using K-State as an example): "Yes, they are 9-20, but they played good teams."

That's it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.