KenPom Rankings 2019-2020

72,958 Views | 346 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PurpleOut
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nacluth said:

It is super important. Ahead of Michigan and Virginia.

Just a couple of flyweights...
SFASawmillGuy
Remember when mid major madness made a point that we wouldn't be ranked?
nacluth
SFA_03 said:

They're sticking with it. At this point I hope we get to 19-1 in conference and still not be on their list.
CertifiedAxeman98
SFA_03 said:

Only Kenpom and NET really matter since that is what is used by the selection committee.

I also, I really hope Gonzaga moves to the PAC-12.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA_03 said:

We're the first team in their 'receiving votes' list.
nacluth
Duke won and Rutgers lost last night. That drove our NET rating from 81 to 87. (Also involved was the Georgia Tech and Nevada wins). Our SLC wins help us tread water in the rankings. Need a lot more of them.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Duke won and Rutgers lost last night. That drove our NET rating from 81 to 87. (Also involved was the Georgia Tech and Nevada wins). Our SLC wins help us tread water in the rankings. Need a lot more of them.
Also, Alabama lost by one at home to Tennessee.
nacluth
SFA slides a spot to 98 following the Nicholls win. Thanks SLC.

Sam plummets to 176 after the UIW loss. It is almost probable now that there will not be another SLC team in the top half of all teams in the nation by the end of conference. Our conference ranking will either be last or second to last. Our Sam win was Q3 at the time, but every SLC game could be Q4 by the time this is over.
BigJack85
We are much better as a compact 8-10 member league Probably only one Private is a fit , Abilene Christian.
sfa17
now we dropped to 99 on kenpom. went from 81 to 87 on net. smh. #SouthlandStrong
nacluth
NET now down to 91 after the win. I don't see how we stay in top 100. Winning the conference is the only way (we all knew it) to make the tournament. Imagine now that we win out. 30-3 will probably get us a 12. Every loss lowers our seed line one row. It's a grind, but every game counts.
RichieVan
Let's do a comparison to see how "fair" these scientific metrics are.

The Liberty Flames are #67 in KenPom. Here is a list of rankings of their non-conference wins (KenPom Ranking):
65, 173,225,229,241,185,253,333,174,350,316,253 and 236.

Here is their conference (KenPom):
181, 240,260,283,286, 320 and 351

Here are their losses (KenPom):
37, 181 and 300
Jacks losses (KenPom):
28,48, 287

Someone please explain to me how Liberty sits 32 spots ahead of us without a Top 50 win. I know our conference drags us down, but the Atlantic Sun is not better.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

NET now down to 91 after the win. I don't see how we stay in top 100. Winning the conference is the only way (we all knew it) to make the tournament. Imagine now that we win out. 30-3 will probably get us a 12. Every loss lowers our seed line one row. It's a grind, but every game counts.
Can we get one of those ACC teams that have been trash at a 5 seed?

I'd love a big name game where they've been terrible all season.
sfa17
We lose we go down hard.. we win, we still go down. This is ridiculous
nacluth
It's true that Liberty is not better than SFA just in a better market. Strength of schedule isn't the end all metric in KenPom. In KP, points scored versus points allowed per possession is a big factor. Margin of victory is as well. Liberty is winning against some trash teams in their league by 30-40 points. Their tight games are still tight, but then they murder some people.

We are not murderers. At least not until Kevon, Kensmil, Roti, Cam, Bain, David can all get scoring in the same game. Right now only half our weapons score in any game. Balanced but not deadly. Our style right now is not computer friendly.
No-look
Seems like we just do what it takes to win. When we get double digit leads we need to put our foot on their throats And put them away. You know, like I would have done in my prime.
SFASawmillGuy
And that's the strange thing. If the same team that played Duke, Arkansas state, or even Alabama showed up in conference play, we would be winning our games by 20+ points.
But we haven't been able to get to that point it seems since late December.
The fact is we are having relatively tight games against awful teams. None of these games are good wins against "good teams". They're wins against bottom barrel mid majors. We need blowout wins against our conference counterparts if we want the respect we believe we deserve.
RichieVan
OK, since I'm on a roll, here's todays episode of "Why KenPom Is Misleading."

Todays contestant: The Northern Colorado Bears, sitting at #84 in KenPom (as of 2/6/2020). For reference, the Jacks are currently 99th.

The Bears lead the Big Sky Conference in KenPom ranking, but sit in third place in the conference (losing the second place tiebreaker). Overall, 15-7, 8-3 in the Big Sky.

Their signature win, and also signature road win, is over #140 Southern Utah, the second leading KenPom ranking in the Big Sky, however, the Thunderbirds sit in fifth place in the Big Sky.

Their non-conference wins include two non-D1 wins, a home win over #145 Boston U, a home win against #346 UIW, a road victory at #282 Wyoming, a home win against #306 Denver and a road win against #168 South Dakota.

Their non-conference losses include #7 West Virginia on the road, a road loss to #64 Texas, a road loss to #37 Northern Iowa and a home loss to #271 Gardner Webb.

Conference wins: #147 Montana, 2 wins against #260 Weber State, #199 Montana State, #140 Southern Utah, #210 Sacramento State, #287 Idaho State and #302 Idaho.

Conference losses: #143 Eastern Washington, #190 Portland State and #196 Northern Arizona (our fellow Lumberjacks).

This team is 15 spots above the Jacks. Shaking my head.
nacluth
Here's a great page to look at our NET future. These people know how to make a great looking website.

Bracketologists - SFA page

Only future Q3 game is at ACU right now. And to be fair to the SLC (which I hate doing), we are actually 29th out of 32 conferences in average NET right now. So there are three worse than us: Big South, MEAC, SWAC.
MasterAxe
It's games like today that really hurt our ratings.

Even though advanced metrics will tell you we were in control throughout, the final margin (7) against a very bad team is really a ratings negative.
sfa17
nacluth said:

Here's a great page to look at our NET future. These people know how to make a great looking website.

Bracketologists - SFA page

Only future Q3 game is at ACU right now. And to be fair to the SLC (which I hate doing), we are actually 29th out of 32 conferences in average NET right now. So there are three worse than us: Big South, MEAC, SWAC.
That CC game just killed us. From 43 to 79.. oh lord. And a 7 point win over UNO doesnt help
sfa17
https://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/team/stephen-f-austin-lumberjacks/2019

This page shows who gave use the AP votes

Dave Preston has #24

https://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/pollster/dave-preston/2019/week-14

Brian McInnis #25

https://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/pollster/brian-mcinnis/2019/week-14
nacluth
KP from 92 to 106 with two wins.
sfa17
We are literally keeping this whole conference afloat. No other team pulling their own weight. Everyone taken Ls to everyone
SFAJack_76
NET easing up to 85.
SFASawmillGuy
It's close games against bad teams. They aren't doing us any favors.
sfa17
Already got 1 vote for tomorrow
RichieVan
CBS Sports' Jerry Palm has us as a 12 seed, playing Kentucky.
djsfw57
RichieVan said:

I'd be good with that. Wouldn't it be nice to beat Duke AND Kentucky in the same year!!
SFA, Class of 1979
TallTexan
djsfw57 said:

RichieVan said:

I'd be good with that. Wouldn't it be nice to beat Duke AND Kentucky in the same year!!
Claiming a national championship if we do that.
nacluth
Got four votes for 6 points in the AP poll. Dave Preston ranked us #23 and 3 #25 votes. Just for reference to make the poll currently takes about 160 points, but it's nice to get some acknowledgement.

Edit: more votes than Rutgers, Alabama, or Corpus. They're still not ranking us higher than Duke. Smh.
LUMBERJACK2005
Pat Forde showing us some love. Said we are doing all we can to merit at-large consideration:
https://www.si.com/college/2020/02/10/college-basketball-march-madness-outlook
nacluth
Right now NET is 81. Our high was 43 before the Corpus game. Right now the at large cutoff is around NET 48-52. Our at-large bid was never going to survive a loss during conference play, but we might have been close if we had gone perfect through SLC play. One year folks.
RichieVan
Update on Northern Colorado (not that any of you cared):
After an ugly 12 point home loss to #190 Portland State, The Bears drop only to #94, 13 spots ahead of the Jacks, with a 15-8 record, 8-4 in conference.

And the Jacks fall 8 spots in the past week by winning two games. Everything makes sense now, said no one.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Right now NET is 81. Our high was 43 before the Corpus game. Right now the at large cutoff is around NET 48-52. Our at-large bid was never going to survive a loss during conference play, but we might have been close if we had gone perfect through SLC play. One year folks.

Corpus was a ranking/statistical disaster for us. I guess we (SFA Fans) keep playing the long game and hope we get the attention of a Missouri Valley or CUSA (doubt it). A more reasonable possibility would be that the WAC graciously sends invites to A&M CC, UIW and HBU to bolster the "Southwest" part of the WAC. Who knows? UTRGV and Tarleton will need travel partners.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.