KenPom Rankings 2019-2020

72,761 Views | 346 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PurpleOut
fountainhs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CBS has us as an 8 seed playing Saint Mary's!
An 8 seed!
SFA Jack Fanatic
fountainhs said:

CBS has us as an 8 seed playing Saint Mary's!
An 8 seed!

In a one-bid league, that's really putting the horse way before the cart.
nacluth
Oh man...I love it when people talk crazy.
nacluth
Today #135 against #298 New Orleans.

Also back up 8 spots to 50 in the NET rating today.
SFAJack_76
Kenpom 118

Haslametrics 52. One spot behind ... Kentucky.
SFAJack_76
11 seed..

sfa17
Rutgers at 8, Duke at 1
nacluth
12 seed > than 8 through 11 seed.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Nice. 11 Seed.

Damn our one-bid league! One bad game in the tourney and seeding is moot.
sfa17
The way we have been performing in the last couple of years in BB, Volleyball,Bowling, Football(hopefully in future).. i think at this point we are almost guaranteed a move up to a better conference once spots open.And we can take Prison Tech up with us because they are nothing without us
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

The way we have been performing in the last couple of years in BB, Volleyball,Bowling, Football(hopefully in future).. at think at this point we are almost guaranteed a move up to a better conference once spots open.And we can take Prison Tech up with us because they are nothing without us

Scratch that last sentence and I'm with ya.
sfa17
The rivalry is important. We wouldn't need to be in the same conference but at least schedule non conference games in both football and basketball
RichieVan
Jay Bilas just released his Top 68 and the Jacks are not on the list. He listed several teams we would beat, especially if we played at home. We would easily take Vermont, St. Johns and Richmond. Pitt is on his list, and they lost to Nicholls. Other teams I think we could beat include Notre Dame, Northern Iowa, Yale, East Tennessee State, Furman and Illinois. I'm not surprised because Bilas really is a Duke tool and he's omitted the Jacks out of spite.
We're 48 in the NET rankings, 119 in KenPom and 58 in Haslemetrics.

The debate for today: If the Jacks run the table and go 30-2, then win the Southland semifinal and then lose the final by a bucket and go 31-3, does the NCAA keep the Jacks out with over 30 wins and over 25 NCAA D-1 wins?
BigJack85
Interesting. We've run into this a couple of times. Sub 50 RPI or NET with a one bid league. I really think we would get a look with 30 wins. The Rutgers loss is not looking as bad as it did early and Alabama is getting better. If we run the table that's a pretty solid resume'.
nacluth
To be fair, I'm not sure I would rank us in the top 68. I would definitely put us in a bracket, but maybe not in the top 70 teams.

The reason is the same reason we definitely do not get a bid if we don't win the SLC tournament. We are 1-2 against top 100 teams. It means something that the one was against #1, but we don't have a resume. Winning all kinds of sub-200 games is nice, but its not getting us an at-large berth. It will get us a decent seed if we win the SLC tournament, and it will get us a decent NIT seed if we don't.

There's going to be at least 30 bubble teams that will have better top 100 records than us.
sfa17
Unfortunately I don't think we get in the tourney if we run the table and lose in the final at Katy. Maybe if we had beaten Rutgers. Our league is so bad it doesn't even matter. We are in the second worst league in the country. Sam is probably the only top 150 team we will face this season in slc. Southland is Not strong . We would be in the debate on selection Sunday but they will end up picking ok state or etc. maybe our name recognition And past history would be the only thing that could help us get in in that situation. But Not our resume.
SFASawmillGuy
I hate to say it but if we lose any games it would have to be to Sam simply because of how highly they are currently rated. But if they drop we can't afford to lose to anyone if we want a high seed. We have to go undefeated to be at least a 12 seed.
SFASawmillGuy
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

sfa17 said:

The way we have been performing in the last couple of years in BB, Volleyball,Bowling, Football(hopefully in future).. at think at this point we are almost guaranteed a move up to a better conference once spots open.And we can take Prison Tech up with us because they are nothing without us

Scratch that last sentence and I'm with ya.

I disagree. Not many schools have a long standing rivalry as long or as big as we do. The hate between us is great and makes pretty much any meeting in any sport fun to watch no matter who's having a good or bad year. If we left the SLC, I'd hope Sam came with us just so we could for sure keep the rivalry going.
sfa17
Jacks receive an AP vote .
https://apnews.com/APTop25CollegeBasketballPoll

Lol southland trying to push their "Southland Strong" propaganda. They tweeted this out before even sfa bb Twitter could

RichieVan
We are favored in win the rest of our games except slight dogs for the away games at Sam and ACU.
LUMBERJACK2005
RichieVan said:

Jay Bilas just released his Top 68 and the Jacks are not on the list. He listed several teams we would beat, especially if we played at home. We would easily take Vermont, St. Johns and Richmond. Pitt is on his list, and they lost to Nicholls. Other teams I think we could beat include Notre Dame, Northern Iowa, Yale, East Tennessee State, Furman and Illinois. I'm not surprised because Bilas really is a Duke tool and he's omitted the Jacks out of spite.
We're 48 in the NET rankings, 119 in KenPom and 58 in Haslemetrics.

The debate for today: If the Jacks run the table and go 30-2, then win the Southland semifinal and then lose the final by a bucket and go 31-3, does the NCAA keep the Jacks out with over 30 wins and over 25 NCAA D-1 wins?
He has Rutgers at 59 and Alabama at 58. Two Quadrant 1 losses.
sfa17
Lmao they made us the cover of the article

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2020/1/6/21052133/sb-nation-fan-pulse-sign-up-mid-majors-survey-opinions-etc-but-mostly-etc
nacluth
Up to 47 NET. Highest ranking so far.
corleycl
As much as I like the rankings, KenPom, etc.... this season goes nowhere unless we win it all at Katy. Everything outside the Southland from this point forward is just noise for our team and I hope it doesn't go to their heads. We need to stay focused with eyes on the prize.
SFA Jack Fanatic
corleycl said:

As much as I like the rankings, KenPom, etc.... this season goes nowhere unless we win it all at Katy. Everything outside the Southland from this point forward is just noise for our team and I hope it doesn't go to their heads. We need to stay focused with eyes on the prize.

Agreed. These rankings provide a fun diversion, and that's all they are.

As I've said before... Damned SLC one-bid league!
CertifiedAxeman98
sfa17 said:

Lmao they made us the cover of the article

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2020/1/6/21052133/sb-nation-fan-pulse-sign-up-mid-majors-survey-opinions-etc-but-mostly-etc
I could care less about their poll or any poll that is not using an analytical metric like Kenpom, NET and others do.

The only issue I have with them is that in the first podcast after the SFA win over Duke they only is spent like 5 seconds discussing the win. They wrote about it but the national media gave SFA more time and attention than these guys did. They have spent more time defending the fact they called it a fluke and did not rank SFA than spending time to discuss the SFA/Duke game. For a group that claim to be mid-major focused it was odd to only spend a few seconds on a game that was probably the biggest upset of the year and Duke's only lose.

They point out that the SLC is really bad. They also say SFA needs to beat someone good and I would point out to them that we beat the following (LSU, Baylor, Duke) over the past 3 years and no one wants to play us especially not in Nac. I agree the SLC is bad and to get more attention we need to get past the first weekend of the tourney. But you can't ignore a big upset just because SFA plays in a bad conference or you feel it was a fluke.
CertifiedAxeman98
corleycl said:

Agreed winning in Katy is all that matters at this point.
SteelAxe
Who else is watching Rutgers vs Penn state tonight with interest?
nacluth
Do you think when we play Corpus and UCA that they will put "SFA (RV)" on their schedule like we do in any sport where we play someone with a top 25 vote?
nacluth
SteelAxe said:

Who else is watching Rutgers vs Penn state tonight with interest?
Rutgers closed the final 7 minutes strong to crush #20 Penn St.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Do you think when we play Corpus and UCA that they will put "SFA (RV)" on their schedule like we do in any sport where we play someone with a top 25 vote?

I believe they will.
sfa17
Keep it up Rutgers
cboothe09
Rutgers takes down Penn State...Second top-25 win this year...I'm definitely rooting for the Scarlet Knights going forward
sfa17
cboothe09 said:

Rutgers takes down Penn State...Second top-25 win this year...I'm definitely rooting for the Scarlet Knights going forward
Idk if quality losses are measured or even matter but this is definitely looking like one. Go duke Go Rutger.. smh Bama
cboothe09
Don't know if it helps, but them continuing to win doesn't hurt us. Improves SOS, and a Q1 road loss doesn't hurt as much as say a loss at UIW...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.